Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
Verizon Renew Employee Discount site has been live for almost 2 weeks now just figured I would mention since Verizon seems to be really lovely about informing customers.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/employee/eleuLanding.jsp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer

Calidus posted:

Verizon Renew Employee Discount site has been live for almost 2 weeks now just figured I would mention since Verizon seems to be really lovely about informing customers.

The plan is to inform everyone impacted by direct mail or direct phone call at least. There will be follow-up notifications via text, email and direct mail. Also if you somehow manage to miss the messages and lose your discount and if you re-validate within 30 days of the discount dropping there will be automatic credits for any discounted time you miss.

You don't need to validate unless you receive a message requesting that you do so since requests will be going out in waves and those who recently registered won't be required to re-validate at this time.

I don't see any harm in re-registering early though.

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I've always done it through Verizon, so I guess *611? Not exactly sure what the number is. Other goons have gone through OEM's, though.
Customer service is *611 or 800-922-0204.

If you want to get to tier 2 tech support the area what does the warranty swaps more quickly try 866-406-5154.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

AlexDeGruven posted:

Buying outright does not affect your contract date.

If I renew without getting a phone, is the subsidy lost?

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

kstatix posted:

Indirect agents will direct you to corporate stores. You'll probably have a better experience calling in.

Nah, we just call the same number in store. If an indirect near you is dumb enough to be still sending people in for that, they should just shut their doors now.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Dirk Pitt posted:

If I renew without getting a phone, is the subsidy lost?

Why would you renew without getting a phone? The only reason to renew a contract is to get the subsidy.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !

Penguissimo posted:

A factory reset will only wipe user data and won't touch your Android install, so you're safe there.

As for the large amount of Awake time, try downloading BetterBatteryStats from the Play Store. It should help narrow down exactly what's keeping your phone awake. Do you keep Skype open all the time? That could very well be the problem (it's kind of a badly-written app).

I don't leave Skype running all the time. I use it about once a week on average actually. I just installed BetterBatteryStats so I will post some results in a day or two. At this point I'm at 3 days 12 mins battery time and it's down to 30%.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

MREBoy posted:

I don't leave Skype running all the time. I use it about once a week on average actually. I just installed BetterBatteryStats so I will post some results in a day or two. At this point I'm at 3 days 12 mins battery time and it's down to 30%.

Those actually aren't bad stats at all; I hadn't noticed that your previous graph had over two days of time since charging. You may be able to eke a bit more out of that battery, but you should know that you're already way ahead of the curve by Android standards.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Oh boy.

Upgrades now at 24 months, not 20. If you bought a subsidized device in January 2012 or later, you're affected by this change.

And if you're sitting on a New Every Two credit, it's void as of this coming Monday.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

kitten smoothie posted:

Oh boy.

Upgrades now at 24 months, not 20. If you bought a subsidized device in January 2012 or later, you're affected by this change.

And if you're sitting on a New Every Two credit, it's void as of this coming Monday.

That's some major balls. Moving my upgrade date another 4 months up is not cool. Looks like I'm buying a used phone in the next month or two, can't stand the poo poo battery on this GNex much longer.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It doesn't really matter much to me since I can't use an upgrade anymore and keep unlimited.

Actually, this probably benefits me. By extending the term length before a new phone, they probably just increased demand on the used market so I could get better value selling old phones.

kstatix
Mar 20, 2006

Mighty Horse posted:

Nah, we just call the same number in store. If an indirect near you is dumb enough to be still sending people in for that, they should just shut their doors now.

I still have this experience in my area. It happens daily. Costco/best buy employees do this all the loving time.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
I didn't see a megathread for this, if I missed it, point me and I'll ask there.

I have a Galaxy Nexus rooted with Jellybean 4.2 blah blah on Verizon.

My question is about Google Voice. I'd like to set up a TN that I can use to text/call customers and not give them my cellphone number. Is there a way I can use both a Google number and my regular cellphone number at the same time? My regular number would be my primary number, I'd only be using Google for making and receiving calls for testing for work (Because I"m too lazy to hunt down test phones).

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

It doesn't really matter much to me since I can't use an upgrade anymore and keep unlimited.

Actually, this probably benefits me. By extending the term length before a new phone, they probably just increased demand on the used market so I could get better value selling old phones.
There are plans to introduce an installment plan to purchase at full retail and bill to account over time. Pending credit approval of course.

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005
I sure hope I don't get banned
I've never been able to find a consistent answer to this anywhere, but with my grandfathered unlimited data plan, I can basically throw my sim card into whatever device I want and plug away with no fear of any repercussions, other than a small risk of throttling after using a shitload of data, correct?

Has anyone else on a grandfathered plan, for example, done this with a portable wifi hotspot?

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Watch Out Smarmy posted:

There are plans to introduce an installment plan to purchase at full retail and bill to account over time. Pending credit approval of course.

Wow, loving finally. Why did it take them this long to do this poo poo? Of course it means total loyalty to verizon = 0, but that's not my fault for overcharging for a service that only remains because of grandfathered unlimited plans.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Gothmog1065 posted:

I didn't see a megathread for this, if I missed it, point me and I'll ask there.

I have a Galaxy Nexus rooted with Jellybean 4.2 blah blah on Verizon.

My question is about Google Voice. I'd like to set up a TN that I can use to text/call customers and not give them my cellphone number. Is there a way I can use both a Google number and my regular cellphone number at the same time? My regular number would be my primary number, I'd only be using Google for making and receiving calls for testing for work (Because I"m too lazy to hunt down test phones).
Sure thing.

You can set GV to ask you when you make a call, whether to call out from GV or from your primary line. Then just use the GV app for texting on the GV line (you won't be able to receive MMS on it though if that matters).

Set the GV line to forward to your phone so if someone calls, you can answer it.

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003
gently caress Verizon so much since the last year or so. gently caress. Verizon. Leaving as soon as I can.

kstatix
Mar 20, 2006

Bleh Maestro posted:

gently caress Verizon so much since the last year or so. gently caress. Verizon. Leaving as soon as I can.

Cool story bro.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
I am in Southern Illinois, across the river from St. Louis currently paying for, but not actually in range of Sprint's lovely WiMax.

The impression I get is that Verizon has decent 4g coverage, and it looks like we only use about 2 gigs of data between us per month (though the fact that it is usually at 3g speeds may have a lot to do with that).

Is a family share everything plan with 4 gigs of data and the state employee discount of 18% the way to go? Are they pretty decent and quick in the Edwardsville, IL area? Anything I should know or avoid or any particular way I should go about switching services, and picking up new LTE phones?

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

Bleh Maestro posted:

I agree with you, even though I'm on sprint (with speeds slower than a 56k modem). I'll get LTE by sometime in 2015 if I stick with them, Tmobile sucks in my area, and AT&T hosed me over one too many times when I was a subscriber there.

I count the months until the big red V can steal bill me for a lot of my money in return for an actual usable network.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Slo-Tek posted:

Is a family share everything plan with 4 gigs of data and the state employee discount of 18% the way to go? Are they pretty decent and quick in the Edwardsville, IL area? Anything I should know or avoid or any particular way I should go about switching services, and picking up new LTE phones?
I've gotten decent LTE coverage all over the metro east suburbs on Verizon, and a coworker of mine who hangs out in Edwardsville/Collinsville a lot says AT&T is pretty snappy out there too.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man
If this is in the wrong thread I apologize, maybe somebody could direct me the correct way?

I have a Thunderbolt with the grandfathered unlimited data. Has ANYBODY successfully rooted and used any kind of wifi tethering? I've used PDAnet successfully, but now that I have an Android tablet I'd like to use either BT or WiFi to provide an internet connection when away from home.

I've tried all the third party tethering apps (WiFi Tether, FoxFi, etc.) but it's like the HTC Thunderbolt on unlimited data is the perfect storm of "oops, we don't support your phone/carrier/plan". I can get my tablet to connect to my phone via WiFi Tether, but it never gets an IP address. Same with using BT via FoxFi. No data throughput.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
I've got a 4S on grandfathered unlimited data, how do I get a SIM card for an iPhone 5 I just bought in S-Mart? Can I just walk into the store and ask for one? Do I have to have the iPhone 5 on me, or can I get the SIM card before the phone gets here?

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

:getout:

chupacabraTERROR posted:

I've got a 4S on grandfathered unlimited data, how do I get a SIM card for an iPhone 5 I just bought in S-Mart? Can I just walk into the store and ask for one? Do I have to have the iPhone 5 on me, or can I get the SIM card before the phone gets here?

Go to a corporate store and ask for a new SIM. It's free and they'll even install it for you.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

SyHopeful posted:

If this is in the wrong thread I apologize, maybe somebody could direct me the correct way?

I have a Thunderbolt with the grandfathered unlimited data. Has ANYBODY successfully rooted and used any kind of wifi tethering? I've used PDAnet successfully, but now that I have an Android tablet I'd like to use either BT or WiFi to provide an internet connection when away from home.

I've tried all the third party tethering apps (WiFi Tether, FoxFi, etc.) but it's like the HTC Thunderbolt on unlimited data is the perfect storm of "oops, we don't support your phone/carrier/plan". I can get my tablet to connect to my phone via WiFi Tether, but it never gets an IP address. Same with using BT via FoxFi. No data throughput.

Back when I had my Thunderbolt I rooted and tethered without issue.

modig
Aug 20, 2002

Tedronai66 posted:

...and AT&T hosed me over one too many times when I was a subscriber there.

Yep.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I would love to leave Verizon, but I need good coverage, and AT&T is the only competitor there, and switching to them would require me getting a stupid data share plan I don't need and increase my rate.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Tedronai66 posted:

AT&T hosed me over
This is Verizons best sales gimmick. ATT is the worst.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal
I've been happy enough with Verizon, even with a tiered data plan, I don't feel too bothered.

I am confused about on thing, if I buy a new phone mid-contract for full price, can I go month to month and keep my same data plan when my contract is up? Is it usually cheaper on the month-to-month basis since there is no phone subsidy built in? And if I want to leave verizon, can they unliock the phone so it can work on other networks?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Dirk Pitt posted:

I've been happy enough with Verizon, even with a tiered data plan, I don't feel too bothered.

I am confused about on thing, if I buy a new phone mid-contract for full price, can I go month to month and keep my same data plan when my contract is up?
Yes.

quote:

Is it usually cheaper on the month-to-month basis since there is no phone subsidy built in?
No. You still pay that $15 or so every month that would have gone to "pay down" your subsidy, but it just becomes additional profit margin for Verizon.

quote:

And if I want to leave verizon, can they unliock the phone so it can work on other networks?
Not really. The iPhone 5 on Verizon is sold fully unlocked (even if subsidized!) and can be taken to a GSM carrier if you can get/cut yourself a nano-SIM, but it won't do LTE anywhere but Verizon.

For most everything else, they'll unlock the SIM slot for international GSM use after 90 days, but it'll still be locked domestically so you can't take it to T-Mobile or AT&T.

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Apr 14, 2013

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I will stay with Verizon as long as I can maintain the status quo (unlimited data, reasonably decent devices.)

The minute that changes, all bets are off and I'll have to re-evaluate my wireless.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Yeah, the instant they make me give up the unlimited I'm moving all my lines to T-Mobile. My wife can keep her iPhone, I can get an iPhone or use an unlocked Android device, and I can get a cheap burner dumbphone for my mother in law, and probably pay half what I'm paying Verizon right now.

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Wow, loving finally. Why did it take them this long to do this poo poo? Of course it means total loyalty to verizon = 0, but that's not my fault for overcharging for a service that only remains because of grandfathered unlimited plans.
Well it's been a thing for full retail price tablets at store locations for about a year now. I think they'll have to keep it store-only because of massive fraud potential (you can't bill full retail phones to an account since they are over the $400 limit).

I personally are of the opinion that if you want something you can't afford get a loan from a bank or use a credit card. Your carrier is not a bank.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Calidus posted:

I still show as validated, does everyone need to revalidate?

Meat Mitts
May 28, 2012

kitten smoothie posted:

Not really. The iPhone 5 on Verizon is sold fully unlocked (even if subsidized!) and can be taken to a GSM carrier if you can get/cut yourself a nano-SIM, but it won't do LTE anywhere but Verizon.

For most everything else, they'll unlock the SIM slot for international GSM use after 90 days, but it'll still be locked domestically so you can't take it to T-Mobile or AT&T.
I would have expected LTE to be the only technology to be able work on AT&T, since they also use the 700MHz band for LTE. The rake receiver used for CDMA isn't compatible with gsm, so does verizon's iPhone come with a gsm receiver? What about hspa+? That's a lot of antennas and receivers to be cramming in one phone.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Meat Mitts posted:

I would have expected LTE to be the only technology to be able work on AT&T, since they also use the 700MHz band for LTE. The rake receiver used for CDMA isn't compatible with gsm, so does verizon's iPhone come with a gsm receiver? What about hspa+? That's a lot of antennas and receivers to be cramming in one phone.

There are multiple variants of the iPhone based on what carrier they're sold for. The A1428 variant sold for AT&T and T-Mobile in the US only supports LTE on AWS & the 700 MHz B-block. The A1429 model sold for Verizon supports LTE on the 700 MHz C-block. At least in the US, if you go to the Apple store and buy an iPhone 5 unlocked & carrier-free, they sell you the A1428 variant.

At launch, the iPhone 5 also had quadband GSM and UMTS as an advertised feature. It turned out that it actually had pentaband UMTS support and that was just locked out in firmware. From the T-Mobile launch forward, newly sold A1428's also support HSPA+ over AWS. Previously sold phones will not have the feature enabled, and it's moot for Verizon customers anyway since they get the A1429.

So the long and short of it is that within the USA, you can take your Verizon iPhone 5 over to AT&T and get HSPA+. If you are in a market where T-Mobile has deployed HSPA+ on 1900, you could get HSPA+ on T-Mobile. But your Verizon iPhone will not see AT&T's 700b LTE, nor will it see T-Mobile's LTE or HSPA+ on the AWS bands.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal
So if a person buys a unlocked and carrier free iPhone, without specifying they are taking it to verizon, will the phone be able to access Verizon's LTE network? It seems like an obvious "no," but I thought I would ask anyways before I do that today.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Dirk Pitt posted:

So if a person buys a unlocked and carrier free iPhone, without specifying they are taking it to verizon, will the phone be able to access Verizon's LTE network? It seems like an obvious "no," but I thought I would ask anyways before I do that today.

No. If you go into an Apple store and say you want an unlocked iPhone carrier-free, they will give you an A1428. It won't be able to do LTE on Verizon and it won't be white listed on Verizon's CDMA network for 3G and voice.

If you want one that works on Verizon you have to specify that (in which case they sell you the 1429 and flag it in Apple's backend provisioning database so it can be set up for Verizon).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Yea, if you dont care about getting on AT&T's LTE network, buy a full price verizon iphone 5.

• Locked thread