Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

There's really no reason this is here other than the fact that the mascot eating a Pens fan bemuses me.

So, down to business. With the 64th pick in the SAS NHL Draft, the San Jose Sharks really wanted to select [FAKE REDACTED BECAUSE OF RULES AND STUFF]. However, that would probably not be a wise move in building a franchise, so we decided to go another route. Nothing is more valuable to a franchise than a player who not only excels at his job, but delivers consistency year after year. That is why we've selected Loui Eriksson.

Pos: Left Wing
Cap Hit: $4,250,000
Signed through: 2015-16

Eriksson is perhaps the most criminally underrated player in the NHL. Prior to the lockout he had three consecutive seasons of 20+ goals and 70+ points. He's missed only three games in the past five seasons. On top of that, he's signed for the next 4 years at a very affordable cap hit. There's a lot to love about Loui, and to have him on Malkin's wing should prove a deadly combination.

Infidel Castro fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Apr 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Jordan7hm posted:

This is a bit more along the lines of what you'd need to look at. I only went back to 1994, looking for rookie seasons where the guy put up .4 PPG as a D and played at least 42 games (more than 50% of a season).

27 guys on the list.

The closest comparables to his first three seasons are probably Marcus Ragnarsson, Keith Ballard, Travis Harmonic, and maybe Jason Demers and Zach Bogosian.

Sorry bro who likes Fowler. Ragnarsson played 600 games at least.

Also I love that tool.

Fowlers younger than almost everyone on that list.

Chairman Wao
Mar 5, 2013

go star

Paulocaust posted:

Not including my own team, these are the top 5 tandems so far (in no order). Best picks of round 2 were Yandle at #55, Perry at #43 and Chara at #45. Biggest reaches were Semin at #48, Voynov at #53 and Bobrovsky at 58.

Sweet. Didn't include the Lehtonen pick. Shockingly most people seemed ok with it, outside of one guy calling it outright bad.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Loui Eriksson is another really solid pick. I had he and Ryan near the top of my board this round.

e: Malkin/McDonagh/Eriksson is a sick core. Nicely done.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
gently caress that was my next pick, really, really hoping I could grab him.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Eriksson looks like a good pick. Is his dropoff this year just Dallas sucking?

e: Paulocaust, you must take him now. That not so old centre.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Apr 15, 2013

Rene Rancourt
Mar 26, 2007

Was my contract good for you, too?

eXXon posted:

No, don't,

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

Not that I would try to make a gimmick team, but I wonder how well I could do by continually not drafting any Canadians.

And I would attribute Eriksson's lower numbers this year to overall team lack of scoring. He's tied with Whitney for 2nd in goals scored for Dallas, and it's just his assists that have dropped off. He'd be on pace for 20 goals in a full season (10G in 41 Games).

Infidel Castro fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Apr 15, 2013

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Austrian mook posted:

Fowlers younger than almost everyone on that list.

3 of the guys I compared him to were 18/20/21 during their rookie seasons when they put up .4PPG. You're right that the other ones were older.

The point is that it's rare for a player to do what Fowler is doing, but that in the cases where it does occur, it doesn't turn out well (though it remains to be seen for a couple of those guys). I think it's safe to say that Fowler isn't as good offensively as that rookie season showed though.

e: Nice pick btw. Great player.

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Apr 15, 2013

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Jordan7hm posted:

3 of the guys I compared him to were 18/20/21 during their rookie seasons when they put up .4PPG. You're right that the other ones were older.

The point is that it's rare for a player to do what Fowler is doing, but that in the cases where it does occur, it doesn't turn out well (though it remains to be seen for a couple of those guys). I think it's safe to say that Fowler isn't as good offensively as that rookie season showed though.

Perhaps not now but I don't think it's a stretch to assume maybe when he develops he's going to mature into a strong OFD. I'm saying when he's 30 or so he's going to be a Norris contender (a bit of a stretch but certainly not impossible) speaking of that, what year is the "peak" for Defensemen?

e: and in his rookie season he really wasn't all that great defensively because he joined the rush at some odd times whereas now he seems to know when to pinch and he's been terrific in his own zone so I think some offensive drop off is to be expected.

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
This was the hardest choice so far. A real toss-up between three centers.

At #65 overall, the Maple Leafs are proud to select: Ryan Kesler

Contract: $5m per until 2015-16

Kesler is a 41 goal scoring Selke winner on a great contract for another few years. No brainer. Karlsson/Neal/Kesler is a core that can make many deep playoff runs.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

drat it, that wasn't the guy I was talking about (and I don't think I will be able to take him). Make more gimmick picks!

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Excellent pick man, you've easily got one of the stronger teams right now if you ask me. Kessler is a really good centre who actually gets overlooked since he plays behind Henrik. He's put up some terrific offensive numbers and is really good in his own zone.

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

eXXon posted:

Yes and no. It's not helping but he's also looked like poo poo. I wonder if he's hurt or something. He's slower than he usually is, worse defensively, missing open shots, etc. He and Benn (who has definitely had injury issues this year) have both struggled mightily this year. Really hoping its just a fluke because of the lockout or something.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Norris trophy median age since Bobby Orr stopped winning it is 28.

That's not just offensive ability though. And Lidstrom's late Norrises certainly skew the numbers a bit.

quote:

e: and in his rookie season he really wasn't all that great defensively because he joined the rush at some odd times whereas now he seems to know when to pinch and he's been terrific in his own zone so I think some offensive drop off is to be expected.

I'm sure he got better. I'm just saying that his dropoff since his rookie year is massive,and it's pretty much unprecedented (in the last 20 years) for a guy to do that and still be a great player down the road.

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Austrian mook posted:

Excellent pick man, you've easily got one of the stronger teams right now if you ask me. Kessler is a really good centre who actually gets overlooked since he plays behind Henrik. He's put up some terrific offensive numbers and is really good in his own zone.

Oh you ;)

I'm interested in your next pick as well. Getzlaf/Suter seems like a core built for a playoff run.

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

eXXon posted:

drat it, that wasn't the guy I was talking about (and I don't think I will be able to take him). Make more gimmick picks!

I figured you meant the guy that I am now almost certain you did. Kesler's defense swayed me but that guy was mighty tempting.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
That guy is definitely going to be gone before I pick @ 23. Bah.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Paulocaust posted:

Oh you ;)

I'm interested in your next pick as well. Getzlaf/Suter seems like a core built for a playoff run.

Right now I'm just terrified of slaughtering my cap , and on Fowler. Ow many players have that big of a drop off anyway? Is the sample source really big enough to draw conclusions from?

I may be desperately trying to justify Fowler because im a ducks fan scratch that I surely am I swear we're an elite team :(

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
yeah, im not getting anybody i like. this is why i dont do fantasy hockey anymore :mad:

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Verviticus posted:

yeah, im not getting anybody i like. this is why i dont do fantasy hockey anymore :mad:

i've got 9 dmen on my list, and 9 picks to go. pretty sure I'm getting somebody i want :)

Chairman Wao
Mar 5, 2013

go star

eXXon posted:

They're doing better than they have the past few years. So...not really.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Austrian mook posted:

Right now I'm just terrified of slaughtering my cap , and on Fowler. Ow many players have that big of a drop off anyway? Is the sample source really big enough to draw conclusions from?

I may be desperately trying to justify Fowler because im a ducks fan scratch that I surely am I swear we're an elite team :(

Not a lot of rookies come in and do what Fowler did (27 of them in the last 20 years), so there aren't a lot of guys to compare to. Most of them, but not all of them, became / are becoming great players.

I dunno, it's weird. I think the one thing to keep in mind is that this is a wacky season because of the lockout. It's possible his numbers are skewed because of luck at this point (the goals thing in particular). It's not a great sign though.

The thing that I think would really be an issue is if he gets traded at some point. Some of the guys I mentioned were moved because of the failure to produce, and for whatever reason were just never able to recreate that rookie season. Ragnarsson, who wasn't moved (he was 26 though, it's not a great comparison) had a decent career with St Louis.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
There's not a chance in hell Fowler gets moved. He's one of our most popular players and the team is REALLY high on him. After the loss of ________ They've commited hard to Fowler. And ever since hiring Niedermier to come in and work with what seems to be him exclusively he's been quite great, missed some games to injury and didn't play during the lockout. He's got a reason to have a season off.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Hmm seeing the available players, I might have a steal on my hands. Someone who'd work well with Rinne and Kopitar.

mozza
Sep 11, 2005

In Alfie We Trust

Verviticus posted:

This would go a lot better for us as individuals if we had casual hockey fans participating. For one thing we place higher value on players in the Parise/Landeskog/Pacioretty mold than I think your average 30 hockey fans might.

Rene Rancourt
Mar 26, 2007

Was my contract good for you, too?

mozza posted:

This would go a lot better for us as individuals if we had casual hockey fans participating. For one thing we place higher value on players in the Parise/Landeskog/Pacioretty mold than I think your average 30 hockey fans might.

Yeah, I was expecting some first round picks to be 40 year old heroes.

mozza
Sep 11, 2005

In Alfie We Trust

Shoeonhead22 posted:

Yeah, I was expecting some first round picks to be 40 year old heroes.

Sort Players by Salary: in which Gomez is a first-round pick.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Drunk Canuck posted:

Hmm seeing the available players, I might have a steal on my hands. Someone who'd work well with Rinne and Kopitar.

Someone with a pulse would do it for those two.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
honestly im surprised kesler took so long to go. there are a lot of players there that just aren't as good. the only reason he shouldn't be in the first round i guess are injuries. his contract loving rules

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
yeah, Kesler was someone I had in mind for my 2nd round pick - maybe my 2nd or 3rd favorite forward available at that time. I'm still holding out hope for picking the top forward on that list after the next two teams go, but it looks like that will have to wait for sometime tomorrow :)

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I have two franchiseable players in mind so we'll see when Rutkowski gets up. Maybe he'll make my choice easier by taking one. I almost hope so.

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Crosby/Eberle/Byfuglien
Hall/M. Koivu/Fowler
Stamkos/Bobrovsky/Ryan
Malkin/McDonagh/Eriksson
Karlsson/Neal/Kesler

The trios picked so far. Twin Cinema, I like you dude, but that's a rough looking team, comparatively.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY?
Another quick post but I'm picking Jimmy Howard because he isn't that old, got a good enough contract and is able to post a good season even with the poo poo that's in front of him this year.

And I need a goaltender before everyone else takes 'em!

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
In my completely unbiased opinion, this is the best pick so far in this draft. Rutkowski is a genius among men.

So are we going with his current contract that has him as a UFA or the one that everybody knows he's gonna sign and has already agreed to, but hasn't been officially finished yet?

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

cap geek has him signed already

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Gotta say, not a fan of this one. There are better goalies, either skill or contract still left on the board. (and I'd figure you to be one who might splurge on a goalie contract considering you've got so much to spare)

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

Austrian mook posted:

Gotta say, not a fan of this one. There are better goalies, either skill or contract still left on the board. (and I'd figure you to be one who might splurge on a goalie contract considering you've got so much to spare)

Yeah, we're getting into the "good but not great" section of goailes at this point. I gave some thought to taking Howard, but the talent drop-off for goalies is rather light at this point, so I figure it can wait a few rounds.

With that said, you're all going to go on a run of goalies and stick me with loving Rick DiPietro.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY?
There is a couple of goaltenders I passed over that's probably better but I considered injury issues, contract and consistency issues into my pick.

And yeah, I got cap space but I want a deep team, not a top-heavy one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Mmnffff morning? I am taking Nail Yak City Yakupov and you can't stop me. I'll explain in a few hours about how many goals he'll score with Giroux. Passing up some drat good players to take him but long term I think he's a no brainer to keep over, say, Eberle or a similar as yet unselected sniper.

More detailed reasoning: #1 overall pick because he's something like an Ovechkin-lite and a drat good pure goal scorer. Has 10 goals already this season (should be 11 but one was disallowed) despite playing limited minutes, some with Horcoff and way too many with offensive black hole Eric Belanger. Has some holes in his game but he's loving 18 he will be dominant in a few years.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Apr 15, 2013

• Locked thread