Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Noni posted:

Rollo is cool because he reminds me that these still exist and that I should probably buy some for next Sunday.

I got mine. Who's with me?

Seriously though, what types of alcoholic beverages would they have been consuming? I know mead is commonly associated with Vikings but it seems like honey would be a fairly rare material. There was a brief series on Vikings on the BBC last year that covered some sort of drink made with berries but I don't remember the specifics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Cpt.Wacky posted:

I got mine. Who's with me?

Seriously though, what types of alcoholic beverages would they have been consuming? I know mead is commonly associated with Vikings but it seems like honey would be a fairly rare material. There was a brief series on Vikings on the BBC last year that covered some sort of drink made with berries but I don't remember the specifics.

2 minutes of Google says barley ale and lots of it.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Kampfbereit posted:

I would have to strongly disagree with that. Maybe we are using different definitions of "grave goods"? I mean everyday objects that are meant to be used in the afterlife and/or ease the passage into it. I'm sure christians may occasionally bury a person with a symbolical bottle of whiskey or the favourite fly fishing rod of the deceased, and there may have been a crossover in cultures recently christianized. But the entire concept of grave goods is pagan by nature. Christians can't bring stuff to heaven.

Wikipedia seems to agree: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grave_goods

the part you quote doesn't disagre with me and you are flat out wrong. Grave goods never disappear. your links definition on grave goods "Grave goods, in archaeology and anthropology, are the items buried along with the body." as an archaeologist I can assure you, we see it in a lot of christian graves.
Think about how many christians was burried with coins on their eyes or in their mouth. This is probably the most presisten type of grave good used in christina graves, despite you know christian not needing to pay Charon to go to heaven, so that argument is pretty silly. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charon's_obol

quote:

Among Christians
The custom of Charon’s obol not only continued into the Christian era,[64] but was adopted by Christians, as a single coin was sometimes placed in the mouth for Christian burials.[65] At Arcy-Sainte-Restitue in Picardie, a Merovingian grave yielded a coin of Constantine I, the first Christian emperor, used as Charon’s obol.[66] In Britain, the practice was just as frequent, if not more so, among Christians and persisted even to the end of the 19th century.[67] A folklorist writing in 1914 was able to document a witness in Britain who had seen a penny placed in the mouth of an old man as he lay in his coffin.[68] In 1878, Pope Pius IX was entombed with coin.[69] The practice was widely documented around the turn of the 19th–20th centuries in Greece, where the coin was sometimes accompanied by a key.[70]

And as I pointed out earlier other grave goods come and go, like the glass or porcelain rose popular in the 18th century. saying a grave with grave goods is not christian is just ignoring the vast archaeological evidence to the contrary

Here is a decent article regarding some of the grave goods you might find in an english medieval christian grave. http://www.archaeologyuk.org/ba/ba84/feat2.shtml

Atreiden fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Apr 14, 2013

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Awwwkward

EDIT: And he just sits there praying while his men get slaughtered

DarklyDreaming fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Apr 15, 2013

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
Hahahaha oh my god Floki is the best character on this show.

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
He's like a medieval version of the Joker but with a sense of loyalty and teamwork.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Old guy isn't in Valhalla yet :(

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

The guy that plays Floki is just amazing.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Erghh posted:

He's like a medieval version of the Joker but with a sense of loyalty and teamwork.

Quoting this because he let out a serious Joker laugh just now

EDIT: Ragnar's group reacting to the strange ritual of saying grace was funnier than it had any right to be

DarklyDreaming fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Apr 15, 2013

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
Watch me try to eat this plate!

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Sash! posted:

The guy that plays Floki is just amazing.

I watch every new episode just to see Floki one-up scene stealing from the previous episode.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Hmm... I guess he really is THAT Rollo

Edit: His christian name is Ralph. Never mind. Or possibly Rolf. Either way not it

DarklyDreaming fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Apr 15, 2013

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I nodded in approval when Old Guy went down.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
What happened to the fuckton of cavalry? Did they all just dismount and the horses gallop away?

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
Uh oh, Prat Pyee shows up in Vikings.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

What happened to the fuckton of cavalry? Did they all just dismount and the horses gallop away?

Yeah, they did.

The Northumbrians seem to have no idea what they're doing.

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
I think the cavalry were supposed to be broken up by the barricades then scattered/disordered when Ragnar et. al. ran into them. This wasn't one of their better battle depictions I don't think. Or the Northumbrians really are that bad. Either way.

And gonna have to agree with Floki here. Rollo knows what he did :colbert:

f/e: That'll do old guy with awesome facial hair. That'll do.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I think I could watch a whole series that was just these Vikings rowdily eating at Christian feasts. All the while Ragnar is trying as hard as he can to be serious while Floki is just making everyone laugh.

DarklyDreaming posted:

Hmm... I guess he really is THAT Rollo

Edit: His christian name is Ralph. Never mind. Or possibly Rolf. Either way not it

Well, that's what it was this time. Clearly Rollo is in the process of working out how many Christians he has to kill after each "conversion" to be cool with Odin again. He even seemed to have Floki thinking about such a novel solution to the problem.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
All the "fish out of water" gags were really great. I loved when they all started smashing plates.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Gyges posted:

I think I could watch a whole series that was just these Vikings rowdily eating at Christian feasts. All the while Ragnar is trying as hard as he can to be serious while Floki is just making everyone laugh.

Well, that's what it was this time. Clearly Rollo is in the process of working out how many Christians he has to kill after each "conversion" to be cool with Odin again. He even seemed to have Floki thinking about such a novel solution to the problem.

Behold, the inspiration for Highlander

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

saganite posted:

Katheryn Winnick on the late late show. Goddamn, she is stunning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8GiEfRO6pU

when she busted out that Ukrainian i nearly got wood.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floki needs his own show... Floki, Gannicus and The Hound ... just roaming the world loving poo poo up.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
I think Loki would be totally cool with Rollo, using someone's rituals to gain trust then killing them for mad bucks is what being a dickhead viking is all about.

THE LUMMOX
Nov 29, 2004
Is this really happening? Is a show this good on the loving HISTORY CHANNEL?! This is blowing my mind.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Sash! posted:

Yeah, they did.

The Northumbrians seem to have no idea what they're doing.

Meh, I can see what happened being legit. It was hinted at the beginning of the episode that the army was fairly green.
The problem I have is everyone being able to slice through that metal armor like it was bare skin. Might as well be fighting nude, same protection, less weight

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

SocketWrench posted:

Meh, I can see what happened being legit. It was hinted at the beginning of the episode that the army was fairly green.
The problem I have is everyone being able to slice through that metal armor like it was bare skin. Might as well be fighting nude, same protection, less weight

It's not like it didn't happen in real life. Mounted soldiers fighting in formation (they were charging in a wedge) probably aren't as effective when they're dismounted and the battle descends into chaos.

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

Wikipedia posted:

... during the reign of Aethelred the Unready ...
:laugh:

lt_kennedy
Sep 2, 2007
Needs Moar Race
Oh no Lagertha :ohdear:

Rollo's christening was hysterical

:catholic: Trying to anoint him with oil
:black101: Leans the gently caress away

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

drat, that episode was badass. It feels like a ton of stuff happens every episode. They get a lot out of their 42 minute runtime.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
drat, Floki is actually incredibly tall. He's usually so hunched over and climbing over everything that you don't notice, but here he's standing right alongside Rollo and Ragnar and...is often even taller than they are? His pissed-off god thing was magnificent.

The battle scenes in this show are phenomenal. Better than big budget motion pictures.

Though yes the Northumbrians seem comically inept at this point. The king's brother was particularly ridiculous. No sentries whatsoever while you're camped right upwind of a barbarian invasion, and you're gonna stop in your tent and pray while said camp is under attack? Odin is displeased.

lt_kennedy posted:

Rollo's christening was hysterical

:catholic: Trying to anoint him with oil
:black101: Leans the gently caress away

The best moment of the series.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

With the awesome ratings this show is getting, I hope there is a budget increase. This show could definitely do with more extras and/or CG tricks to bulk up crowds. "Armies" of only 20 people per side really pulls me out of it.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

Shakugan posted:

With the awesome ratings this show is getting, I hope there is a budget increase. This show could definitely do with more extras and/or CG tricks to bulk up crowds. "Armies" of only 20 people per side really pulls me out of it.

I'm not so sure about that.. I kind of like the small 'armies' versus the CG-Armies of Spartacus, etc. Hell, I really enjoy the smaller scale as a whole.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Pretty awesome to see some more shieldmaiden extras in the battles this episode, they didn't just throw in Laguertha on the second raid as a singular badass warrior chick.

Deadpool posted:

drat, that episode was badass. It feels like a ton of stuff happens every episode. They get a lot out of their 42 minute runtime.

gently caress yeah. With the exception of Earl Haraldson's glacial backstory development, this show moves along at a great pace. I was deathly afraid when it started that like, by now we'd just have gotten around to Ragnar's second raid after a bunch of dragged-out intrigue in the Earl's court and forced family drama with Rollo or something. Thank the gods they aren't afraid to have things happen.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Oh man, I thought this was the finale only to learn that apparently the first season is 9 eps and not 7? gently caress yeah :black101:

I'm going to be really upset if this show doesn't win some Cinematography awards. Not only are the money shots beautiful, but even scenes like Floki watching Rollo go apeshit on the battlefield were stunningly gorgeous. Now we just need Johan Hegg to show up in a cameo and we'll have the ultimate badass show.

Never thought "Good" and "History Channel show" would be in the same sentence but between this and "Hatfields and McCoys," there's been some quality tv going on.

Axel Serenity fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Apr 15, 2013

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
yeah they throw down in the drama/action department.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Next episode seems to be awesome. Not only are we getting to see more norse religion, it looks like they are going to show us a blot ( sacrifice). The blot taking place every nine year as the preview says, is a specific blot which alledgedly took place in Lejre, the old seat of the danish kings. Some archeological remains of such sacrifices have been found, but there is no evidence for a mass sacrifice taking place at Lejre every 9. year. We only have one written accord attesting to this. But the fact that remains of human sacrifices have been found and that several written accords attest to this, at least makes it very plausible that the vikings often practised human sacrifices along with animal sacrifices.
It should be noted, there are other nine years blots, but since it takes place in Denmark, the Lejre blot would be the one they are refering to.

Secondly, it seems they are sending Ragnar to the Frankish kingdom next, wether they send him to modern france or germany remains to be seen. But at least according to Saxo, Ragnar should have fought and defeated Charles the Great. Though the passage in Gesta Danorum, might have been included as an honor to later danish kings. Historically we do know that the border between Denmark and the Frankish kingdom was hotly contested and both sides fortified it.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

BrianWilly posted:

drat, Floki is actually incredibly tall. He's usually so hunched over and climbing over everything that you don't notice, but here he's standing right alongside Rollo and Ragnar and...is often even taller than they are? His pissed-off god thing was magnificent.

I loved that the Vikings were just towering over most of the English at court. Floki of course seemed to take great delight in it, as with all things.

By this point we might as well change the title to Vikings- Floki Appreciation Thing. But I just love the pure joy he brings to the one or two "pranks" he does each episode. Burning down a monastery, spitting out sacramental wine, flipping a coin from the bribe money back at the king, or bringing the tent down around the English general.

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO
Great episode again! The one thing I felt went strangely was Floki being irritated at Rollo for "becoming christian". I would think he'd be pleased about the joke.

solovyov
Feb 23, 2006

LAWYER FIGHT

Equester posted:

Next episode seems to be awesome.

Donal Logue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

solovyov posted:

Donal Logue.

Oh yea, just saw he is going to play King Horik. Since the historik king Horik ended up as an enemy of Ragnar and outliving him, I hope we see a better rivalry between those two and that they write him better than the earl. Provided they are sticking somewhat to history.

Edit: Hah took me ages to find anything about King Horik in Gesta Danorum, untill I realised that Saxo calls him Erik. Then I notice on the bottom of the wiki page, that they note that Saxo called him Erik. Could have saved me some time.
Saxo hates him by the way. He writtes that Horik/Erik takes Denmark from Erik the child by killing him and by that he gains Denmark but loses the last of his honor. So if the writtes take any notes from Saxo, we got a new Earl character for the show

Atreiden fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Apr 15, 2013

• Locked thread