Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Once again I'm going to invoke the Steel Barometer for how good HoD is: Does a steel manufactory turn a profit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

I had steel factories turning profits in AHD...

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
Going to experiment with turning every nation into an unciv. Hang on, I might break the future.

podcat
Jun 21, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

So guys, I just now realized that I'm technically still a Victoria 2 beta tester and have access to the HoD beta.

I'm the worst beta tester. :negative:

Yeah gently caress you. You aren't getting into the credits!

We are going to be working on a first patch after release, so you can help out with that for whatever time it takes.

Fister Roboto posted:

The amount of goods POPs demand is unaffected by purchasing power. If they need 100 canned food but can only afford 20, the demand is still 100.

No, actually it depends on their potential purchasing power as well so you will see prices drop when nobody can afford something.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

Going to experiment with turning every nation into an unciv. Hang on, I might break the future.

Someone tried that once. It doesn't work, because the game needs to have eight Great Powers and uncivs can't be GPs, so it crashes every time you try to start a game.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Friend Commuter posted:

Someone tried that once. It doesn't work, because the game needs to have eight Great Powers and uncivs can't be GPs, so it crashes every time you try to start a game.

Isn't the number of Great Powers moddable? You obviously can't have zero but what if you set there to be just one and made everything else uncivilized? The result would probably be a steamrolling unless you made it Greenland or something.

podcat
Jun 21, 2012

Kavak posted:

Isn't the number of Great Powers moddable? You obviously can't have zero but what if you set there to be just one and made everything else uncivilized? The result would probably be a steamrolling unless you made it Greenland or something.

Yeah that would probably work. pick iceland and give everyone max relations with them so they never get attacked.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Anyone interested in a non-Steam copy of Victoria + Ricky? I'd either need your Gamersgate user name or an e-mail address to send the keys to.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Kavak posted:

It's moddable in theory but I believe changing the value always crashes the game so not so much in practice.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

podcat posted:

Yeah that would probably work. pick iceland and give everyone max relations with them so they never get attacked.

Also mod it so the GPs don't need more than one state to qualify. I think that was done so German Minor-Minors don't go up to GP levels from bullrushing Culture techs.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

ZearothK posted:

Also mod it so the GPs don't need more than one state to qualify. I think that was done so German Minor-Minors don't go up to GP levels from bullrushing Culture techs.

That doesn't stop Bavaria, though- one time they had secured the 8th slot against all comers so I had to tag-switch and manually reduce their prestige to Secondary Power levels, because otherwise I was going to be the NGF forever.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Kavak posted:

That doesn't stop Bavaria, though- one time they had secured the 8th slot against all comers so I had to tag-switch and manually reduce their prestige to Secondary Power levels, because otherwise I was going to be the NGF forever.

I think that's actually good, as a player-run Bavaria could be the alternative to forming Germany for a player who's seeking a challenge. Still, yes, you're right, I think I see them sneaking into one of the GP slots in about a third of the games.

Keisari
May 24, 2011

Kavak posted:

Yeah but Bavaria is actually big enough to qualify for GP status if they pump up their military, prestige and industry. Sure they are no Austria, but I think they are big enough to make it. I think you can still just use the establish hegemony CB to humiliate them out of their prestige to put them into their place.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Keisari posted:

Yeah but Bavaria is actually big enough to qualify for GP status if they pump up their military, prestige and industry. Sure they are no Austria, but I think they are big enough to make it. I think you can still just use the establish hegemony CB to humiliate them out of their prestige to put them into their place.

Yeah, it's fair to let them have an outside chance, but it's still obnoxious. Did they have that CB in vanilla? I don't remember it- I may also have been dissuaded by Austria and/or a coward.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

AtomikKrab posted:

I had steel factories turning profits in AHD...

Are you sure? It feels like my markets are always flooded with British steel, and steel mills never turn a profit.

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine
Wiz and/or podcat, is it true that taking an "uncivilized" nation to "civilized" will be easier plus more fun?

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Mister Bates posted:

How did Canada end up as a GP? Also, how is it still a Dominion of the British crown if Great Britain overthrew the monarchy and went Fascist? Did the Royal Family flee to Canada and set up a court-in-exile?
Great Britain being a fascist state doesn't have to mean that it overthrew the monarchy, see Italy.

Kainser fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Apr 15, 2013

podcat
Jun 21, 2012

Necroneocon posted:

Wiz and/or podcat, is it true that taking an "uncivilized" nation to "civilized" will be easier plus more fun?

A little easier. As for fun, I think so, but thats very personal, so you might not think so. There is less waiting and more fighting thats for sure. If you dont like wars as an unciv nothing has really changed.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

podcat posted:

A little easier. As for fun, I think so, but thats very personal, so you might not think so. There is less waiting and more fighting thats for sure. If you dont like wars as an unciv nothing has really changed.

So basically, it's more fun as, say, a Sub-Saharan African civilization, or perhaps China, but maybe not if you're playing, say, Morocco or Korea, or some other unciv that has few neighbors or vastly superior neighbors.

podcat
Jun 21, 2012

DrSunshine posted:

So basically, it's more fun as, say, a Sub-Saharan African civilization, or perhaps China, but maybe not if you're playing, say, Morocco or Korea, or some other unciv that has few neighbors or vastly superior neighbors.

yup

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Doesn't Korea already have an easier time civilizing? I swear I remember it being considered one of the more viable uncivs.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

RagnarokAngel posted:

Doesn't Korea already have an easier time civilizing? I swear I remember it being considered one of the more viable uncivs.

They do, nobody really bothers you and you can just sit in peace under the aegis of Chinese protection while you tootle around getting techs and maybe grabbing some Indochinese provinces. Only real threat is usually Japan and, welp, that's where the Chinese come into play.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

Friend Commuter posted:

Damnit! I guess I can go through the list and pick the eight lowest ranked civilized nations. I'm also going to experiment with a no-military start and see how an artisanal economy handles the demand for poo poo like small arms and artillery and clippers.

ZearothK posted:

This is a thing?

DrSunshine posted:

I'd like to attach a rider: do the African RGOs make sense now? This is the first time I've really played an Africa game and jesus christ. The Congo is destitute, there's like two precious metal RGOs in the south, and there's more cotton in Lake Victoria than there is in Egypt. :psyduck: I mean, for an expansion called Heart of Darkness, there's not even ivory in this game.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Are we going to get another EU3 beta patch, or will the current one just be wrapped up and called final at some point? I'd still like to get the adjacencies.csv issue fixed, but at this point even a "final" patch would be good, so Steam users can get it.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Mister Adequate posted:

They do, nobody really bothers you and you can just sit in peace under the aegis of Chinese protection while you tootle around getting techs and maybe grabbing some Indochinese provinces. Only real threat is usually Japan and, welp, that's where the Chinese come into play.

Chinese protection? It's been a while since I played V2, but I remember my opening move as Japan was usually taking Korea for the iron and coal. Do they now start as guaranteed or whatever by Ming?

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

This is a thing?

Yeah, one-state countries can't be GPs. There's plenty of rather backwards two staters that you could leave in for your project like Ecuador, and countries that wouldn't throw things off too much like Papal States.

Hm...8 weak small countries to be civs so you have the requisite thing for everyone else being unciv. How about Ecuador, USCA, Denmark, Papal States, and a few uncivs made Civ for the occasion? Oman, Kokkand, Sokoto, and Afghanistan?

There's 8.

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine

podcat posted:

Awesome. I really want to control an African country, so when Europeans "Scramble for Africa", they'll have a nice "civilized" nation to fight them off.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

Patter Song posted:

Yeah, one-state countries can't be GPs. There's plenty of rather backwards two staters that you could leave in for your project like Ecuador, and countries that wouldn't throw things off too much like Papal States.

Hm...8 weak small countries to be civs so you have the requisite thing for everyone else being unciv. How about Ecuador, USCA, Denmark, Papal States, and a few uncivs made Civ for the occasion? Oman, Kokkand, Sokoto, and Afghanistan?

There's 8.
I took a look around and I think these are going to be my 8 civs: Madagascar, Nejd, Siam, Venezuela (the fight against slavery might be more interesting than Ecuador), Brunei, Kongo, Wolof, and Afghanistan.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Necroneocon posted:

Awesome. I really want to control an African country, so when Europeans "Scramble for Africa", they'll have a nice "civilized" nation to fight them off.

In Vanilla I would play around with save files to give various nations max tech at the beginning of the game, and Africa was an interesting one. The only ones that really managed to do anything were Sokoto, Egypt, and Ethiopa though. All the North African countries still got annexed by Europe, and Zulu was never in a place to expand. The fun ended with AHD though because none of the tech kicks into effect until you civilize.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

TTBF posted:

In Vanilla I would play around with save files to give various nations max tech at the beginning of the game, and Africa was an interesting one. The only ones that really managed to do anything were Sokoto, Egypt, and Ethiopa though. All the North African countries still got annexed by Europe, and Zulu was never in a place to expand. The fun ended with AHD though because none of the tech kicks into effect until you civilize.

You can still give them a billion research points if you want to try that experiment for the 24 hours we don't have HoD.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

ZearothK posted:

You can still give them a billion research points if you want to try that experiment for the 24 hours we don't have HoD.

You can still kinda do that if I understand HoD right, it's just that you'll have to cheat yourself 20k points, get a reform, cheat up 20k more, and repeat until you westernize. Not as convenient, but doable.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Baloogan posted:

Is HOD actually going to be available on steam tuesday morning? I'm thinking of calling in sick; but I want to be sure that its really out.

Normally Steam games don't release until 10 AM Pacific time (1PM Eastern), so you'd be wasting a sick day. This is, of course, assuming Steam gets the expansion on launch day, which (I believe?) was an issue with some previous Paradox stuff.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Necroneocon posted:

Uncivs can get research points from conquering other countries (fellow uncivs only?), there's a minimum Tactics level now so your troops aren't quite as lovely, and you can build Cav as an unciv.

On the exploit-fixing downside, there's now a cap to storing research points so you can't just bank 50k points, enact all reforms in one go and civilize without ever running into Reactionary rebels.

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

This is a thing?

A single-state nation means you can get max literacy very quickly, especially if you're playing a German Minor that already has a fairly high level of literacy in the first place. High literacy means you can increase your research rate easily and score the Cultural techs easily, which can catapult you to GP status by sheer Prestige points from Romanticism and the likes.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
I might swap out Cherokee for Venezuela as the American civ. I can give them a chunk of Fayetteville to satisfy the two-state requirement. The developed world will be rife with slavery and illiteracy, and only the smaller states get regulars at the start. Since I'm wiping military and industrial buildup, I hope this means I'll see German OPMs walking all over Prussia and Austria. I might also place Krakow closer to Westernization than probably anyone else in Europe, save Srbja.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Okay I'm dumb. In EU3 on the budget screen what does "investements" mean?

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

Off the top of my head that is how much money is going into technology research each month.

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine

TTBF posted:

I will make Zulu work! Without cheating! :negative:

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Necroneocon posted:

I will make Zulu work! Without cheating! :negative:

Good luck, if Britain doesn't get you, Oranje will. Basically, spend every last diplomatic point maintaining > 50 relations with Britain and all of the Boers.

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011
You know what's even worse? Liberia :negative:

I actually colonized the entirety of Central Africa as Liberia in PDM Vanilla, but in AHD if an Unciv is a democracy election events apparently don't work.

Liberia really just needs to be a civilized nation that starts off with no techs to be honest. Maybe some kind of tech boost and population surge if the CSA wins, since most of the free African Americans could decide to emigrate if that happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine

DrProsek posted:

Good luck, if Britain doesn't get you, Oranje will. Basically, spend every last diplomatic point maintaining > 50 relations with Britain and all of the Boers.

Bayete Nkosi! Ngikufisa umuntu omhlophe! :black101:

• Locked thread