Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Time to start a fleet :woop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sports
Sep 1, 2012
I really want to make the world's best cruising car.

It consists of a
-suitable Panther-bodied donor car, column-shift (with plush interior)
with a detuned 3.4L v8 from the 1999 Taurus SHO.

Smooth, slow, and safe. I'm basically attempting to make something that's part-Volvo (good) and part-DeVille (smooth).

Any other ideas?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Town car with the 2.72 Rear end, why bother with the difficulty of adapting a rare FWD engine into a car that's already pretty well sorted.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Not to mention the SHO V8 makes the same horsepower as the 4.6 but 50lb-ft less torque. You would end up spending a ton of money to put in a weaker engine that is harder to source parts for. Completely pointless. It would also more than likely get worse MPG than the stock engine. I'm all for batshit engine swaps but this one just isn't making sense no matter how I look at it.

If you're looking for an engine that is "smoother" and makes about the same power as the 4.6, you could look into the Jaguar AJ-V8 which came in everything from the Lincoln LS/Jaguar S-Type to the Aston Martin V8 Vantage (though in a much higher state of tune, obviously). It's already designed for FR layout and everything.

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Apr 14, 2013

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Comedy "smooth" option would be the 300ci inline 6

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008
What about a Cologne V6 as a smaller engine for a panther, didn't older Explorers have both them and Windsors as an option for a while?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

bennyfactor posted:

What about a Cologne V6 as a smaller engine for a panther, didn't older Explorers have both them and Windsors as an option for a while?

Dear god, you need a good hit to the head.

If your going to adapt an engine, at least go with the 4.6 32 valve. If you do a 5.4L engine, you may have hood clearance issues.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

sports posted:

It consists of a

Smooth, slow, and safe. I'm basically attempting to make something that's part-Volvo (good) and part-DeVille (smooth).

Any other ideas?

What 14" said. Putting an SHO motor in a Panther is a hilariously bad idea.

A stock Panther is already the world's best cruising car :colbert:

Holdbrooks posted:

You guys are no help, I about to pick one out and put down a deposit. There are 8 to pick from.

How much? If it's a good deal jump on that poo poo.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Better idea. 4.56 rear end, and a fat wad of cash for gas and tires. Please critique my life ambitions.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Add a supercharger/tune and you're golden.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Of course I cant find it now but when I was searching for diff options for mine I saw a place selling an almost 7:1 ring and pinion for the Vic :stare:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

sports posted:

It consists of a

Any other ideas?

Falcon Turbo Six

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

You Am I posted:

Falcon Turbo Six

If we're just making up poo poo then a Jaguar v-12. :colbert:

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

If you want a slow Panther, just keep the stock 4.6 in it. Look how much money I just saved you.

sports
Sep 1, 2012
Good thinking out loud session, boys.

Yep, stock Panther, especially a Grand Marquis with the airbag suspension, is really really smooth.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA
Bunch of enablers...

Stack so fat it won't fit in my wallet. And I'm driving a former Californa highway patrol 2008 p71 To work tonight.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Sweet, don't forget to post pics. So what are you using the car for? Don't you have an Abarth and a WRX already too besides the truck?

Be careful, because once you drive it on the interstate you'll never want to drive those cars on the highway again :v:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Holdbrooks posted:

Bunch of enablers...

Stack so fat it won't fit in my wallet. And I'm driving a former Californa highway patrol 2008 p71 To work tonight.

Do your neighbors hate you now?

sports
Sep 1, 2012

Holdbrooks posted:

Bunch of enablers...

My buddy has a '97 Sedan DeVille with the NorthStar, and Grandmother keeps her savings in a wad of cash under the accelerator. So smooth.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
Jus had to get my glasses out of the trunk. The car was running and it's still on corn from the CHP. Flex fuel bitches.

Holdbrooks fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Apr 15, 2013

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

14 INCH DETECTIVE posted:

Of course I cant find it now but when I was searching for diff options for mine I saw a place selling an almost 7:1 ring and pinion for the Vic :stare:

Yup, the Ford 8.8 is well regarded offroad and is used in everything from explorers to CVs to the smaller fullsize Ford trucks, so deep gears sell. I know people running 38+ inch sticky offroad rock comp tires on them, with a diff lock, a doubler, and a healthy 302, and they haven't blown the axle up yet. AFAIK his only upgrades were an armored cover, chromo shafts, and a housing truss.

I can't help but wonder what a CV with 6.14 gears would feel like. Probably snap your neck launching, but then top out at 35mph :haw:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

kastein posted:

I can't help but wonder what a CV with 6.14 gears would feel like. Probably snap your neck launching, but then top out at 35mph :haw:

A P71 speedo is calibrated to 140mph. Not sure if it can reach that speed, but it's calibrated!

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

BrokenKnucklez posted:

If you do a 5.4L engine, you may have hood clearance issues.

It's been done. And yes, it has a K&N filter sticking out of the hood like an A-6 Intruder's refueling probe.

kimbo305 posted:

A P71 speedo is calibrated to 140mph. Not sure if it can reach that speed, but it's calibrated!
This is why I drive like a little old lady. Because if I get pulled over the cop isn't even going to ask "do you know how fast you were going?" he's just going to go straight to "you should know better."

On the other hand you can probably talk your way out of a minor speeding ticket by asking the cop what all that glue residue and random holes in the dash were for.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
I feel it was a good pretty good deal at $3800. I got it from a guy that supplies municipal cars for basically all tv an movies. So this car is 1 of 10 background cars fresh off the set of a Denzel Washington movie that was filmed in NM. New paint, new firehawk GT cop tires on the newer 17in steelies, and everything works like they should locks, handles, power seat, and all lights and electronics. It has the newer dash with the tachometer and hours display. 2008 model with 157k and 3,300 hours on the clock so average speed 47.5 mph like a good highway car witout a shitload of idling. Last title was issued to the CHP and still had 1/4 tank of e85 in it from them. Somehow I forget to have Ickna take an engine bay shot, but it is fully detailed and honestly looks brand new.

Only dent I could find was on the back passenger door at the bottom and I have a set fresh painted front door trim, factory dome/map light an coat hooks in the massive trunk.

Holdbrooks fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Apr 15, 2013

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Goddamn you just about stole that car. Love the black and black steelies.

Edit: Panther question: Do all of these cars have super boosted power steering? A girlfriend in high school drove a Crown Vic and when I drove it I was amazed at how it felt that I could turn the wheel by blowing on it.

Previa_fun fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Apr 15, 2013

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
My steerings firmish but linear. Could be because its the old steering box design?

Also 8.8" question, I noticed in the LS1 Colorado thread about how he pulled an 8.8 out of an Explorer with a 3.73 rear LSD, is that something that I could gut for cheap parts rather than spend the cost for a brand new unit? I know it takes some effort to set up a rear diff, I meant more for aquiring the unit itself. Shitload of Explorers in the local yards.

drat that's a nice P71.

E: other panther question, why'd they stop doing the front door strips after a certain year? It always reminds me of mk3 VWs missing a chunk of trim.

INCHI DICKARI fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Apr 15, 2013

djhaloeight
Jan 23, 2007

techno mafia.
Lotta Panthers starting to pile up in here! :v:

This is my '11 LX...bought it last November with 15k on the clock. I plan on upgrading to true dual exhaust, posi rear end with slightly higher gears, a tune, and the K&N intake. The intake makes the 4.6L growl like crazy under acceleration.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Just out of interest, why didn't Ford put the 5.4lt V8 into the Crown Vic? Ford used the 5.4lt fairly successfully in the smaller Falcon, just seems strange they stuck with the smaller V8 in the big Vic.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

14 INCH DETECTIVE posted:

My steerings firmish but linear. Could be because its the old steering box design?

Also 8.8" question, I noticed in the LS1 Colorado thread about how he pulled an 8.8 out of an Explorer with a 3.73 rear LSD, is that something that I could gut for cheap parts rather than spend the cost for a brand new unit? I know it takes some effort to set up a rear diff, I meant more for aquiring the unit itself. Shitload of Explorers in the local yards.

drat that's a nice P71.

E: other panther question, why'd they stop doing the front door strips after a certain year? It always reminds me of mk3 VWs missing a chunk of trim.

Yes, it should be. I know nothing about 8.8 setup specifics, but with a decent set of setup tools you should be able to do it. If you've ever done a bearing job on anything with an 8.8 in it at work, you've done everything except possibly the fiddly bit, measuring all the shims and checking the patterns and such.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

You Am I posted:

Just out of interest, why didn't Ford put the 5.4lt V8 into the Crown Vic? Ford used the 5.4lt fairly successfully in the smaller Falcon, just seems strange they stuck with the smaller V8 in the big Vic.

To be honest, this was a platform that was at the end of its cycle and Ford has known that for some time. But it was proven and well developed with any issues well sorted. And considering that this car was about 90% fleet sales, 9% old people, and a very tiny sliver at less than 1% of overall sales were enthusiast, it makes sense not to mess with it.

I think the Marauder sales were pretty dismal, and that was a car that was pretty heavily promoted by several car magazines and so forth.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I think the Marauder sales were pretty dismal, and that was a car that was pretty heavily promoted by several car magazines and so forth.

drat shame, too, despite it's problems (most of which I recall could be fixed with a lower rear end) Edit: I should really look things up before I just post. Seems the Marauder already had the 3.55 rear end. I just remembered a lot of reports of the car being sluggish off the line and maybe people wanted it to be something it wasn't, I don't know. :shobon:

When the Marauder was launched my dad came home with a promotional DVD and was considering picking one up but didn't. I know where I get my car ADD from.

Previa_fun fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Apr 15, 2013

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Previa_fun posted:

drat shame, too, despite it's problems (most of which I recall could be fixed with a lower rear end) Edit: I should really look things up before I just post. Seems the Marauder already had the 3.55 rear end. I just remembered a lot of reports of the car being sluggish off the line and maybe people wanted it to be something it wasn't, I don't know. :shobon:

When the Marauder was launched my dad came home with a promotional DVD and was considering picking one up but didn't. I know where I get my car ADD from.

Even with the extra 60 some hp, its still a heavy pig. 3.55's are nothing to sneeze at, but you have to keep the car fairly street drivable for the mouth breathers of the world, plus if they put 3.7x's or higher, the fuel economy would drop by a good 2-3 mpg's easily.

It was good concept about 15 years before its time. But it still was a fairly pricy sedan for its time when there were better options out there.

Trust me, its a sweet car, but it was to dated for 2003.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
I snapped a quick pic of the bay when I got home

Now my question is for the tag do I go the lol cop route or blues brothers? I do basically look like jake.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
How many letters per plate in your state? What non-letter characters are allowed?

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Good lord that car is clean as hell. I really miss my Marquis and you're making me second guess my goal of driving late 90's Civics for the next 10 years.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015

Splizwarf posted:

How many letters per plate in your state? What non-letter characters are allowed?
7 letters/numbers or spaces on the standard plate
https://servicearizona.com/webapp/vehicle/plates/personalizedChoiceSearch.do

ones that are available that I came up with before I left work in order of perceived shittieness:

BLUESBR
BLUESMB
JAKEBLS
COP SHX
COP SHOC
COP SHOK

COP C4R
BST EM
CHRYTOP
ROADBLK
EX FUZZ
BLU N 2

Holdbrooks fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Apr 15, 2013

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Voting BLUESBR

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

"440CUI"

Yeah, I know it isn't, but that's your fault for not getting a 1974 Dodge Monaco :colbert:

If you want to go full-on Blues Brothers nerd, get "BDR 529".

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Apr 15, 2013

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

NOT A COP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Too bad it's only 7, or you could have FIVE WHOA or WOOP WOOP.

I guess you could do "5 WHOA."