Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Guilty posted:

edit: nm this contributes nothing

edit: in order to put an end to this discussion, what's happening here is that there's a huge lexicological discrepancy between what's considered what (which is the very definition of pedantic).

That is not even close to the very definition of pedantic. "Pedantic" means getting overly concerned with details and formal rules, specifically when the details and formal rules are meaningless to the actual discussion.

The commonly accepted definition of "martial arts" among english-speaking people is "Something you train to become better at fighting/defending yourself." This isn't the PRIMARY GOAL of everyone who starts training martial arts, but it is nigh-universally an EXPECTATION of people who start training martial arts. If something which is referred to as a martial art does not fulfill this condition, then yes, it sucks. Your entire argument that these arts do not suck is based on the fact that they can be "awesome to watch" or "get you in good shape" or one of any other million things that martial arts can potentially do. But if you ask ten people in the street what a "martial art" is, you're not going to get ten people telling you that a martial art is "something that's awesome to watch" or "something that gets you in great shape". You're going to get ten variations of "a martial art is something that teaches you to fight/defend yourself." Gymnastics is awesome to watch and gets you in great shape. But if someone opened up a gymnastics school, put posters of Gymkata on the walls and called it a martial arts dojo - it would suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Shut up. I am learning things.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Just back from the JJJ school I mentioned. They were kind enough to let me come to not one but two free classes, which was very nice and, while I'm going to take a day or two to think about it, makes me feel worse about the fact that I'm probably not going to join up.

First class was on Thursday, and since it's a tiny class they did kind of a whirlwind tour of the kind of stuff they do; I asked the instructor if he could just do a "typical" class next time so I could see what week-to-week is like, so that was tonight. Now that they know I can take a fall, they threw me harder, which is good.

But I still have concerns about the methodology. The class is relaxed but pretty traditional in style, and although I asked about resistance training and was told they do some, I still haven't really seen any. I'm also a bit concerned that the people in the class may be promoted a bit beyond their ability, although I don't know their curriculum or ranking system so it's a bit hard to be sure. But I believe they use the traditional kyu-dan system, which I think would put them around 6th or 5th kyu.

On the positive side, they don't pull their throws and they don't expect you to throw yourself if the technique isn't right. But I don't think this kind of passive training is what I want to be doing with my time.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

guppy posted:

Just back from the JJJ school I mentioned. They were kind enough to let me come to not one but two free classes, which was very nice and, while I'm going to take a day or two to think about it, makes me feel worse about the fact that I'm probably not going to join up.

First class was on Thursday, and since it's a tiny class they did kind of a whirlwind tour of the kind of stuff they do; I asked the instructor if he could just do a "typical" class next time so I could see what week-to-week is like, so that was tonight. Now that they know I can take a fall, they threw me harder, which is good.

But I still have concerns about the methodology. The class is relaxed but pretty traditional in style, and although I asked about resistance training and was told they do some, I still haven't really seen any. I'm also a bit concerned that the people in the class may be promoted a bit beyond their ability, although I don't know their curriculum or ranking system so it's a bit hard to be sure. But I believe they use the traditional kyu-dan system, which I think would put them around 6th or 5th kyu.

On the positive side, they don't pull their throws and they don't expect you to throw yourself if the technique isn't right. But I don't think this kind of passive training is what I want to be doing with my time.

When you say resistance training do you mean against a resisting partner? If thats what youre looking for, and you want to learn throws, why not just do judo or BJJ instead? There isnt a huge difference anymore except that JJJ schools are usually just less focused on competing/alive training

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

manyak posted:

When you say resistance training do you mean against a resisting partner? If thats what youre looking for, and you want to learn throws, why not just do judo or BJJ instead? There isnt a huge difference anymore except that JJJ schools are usually just less focused on competing/alive training

There aren't many BJJ schools convenient for me, and I don't always like the atmosphere in those places. I haven't looked for judo in a while but there was nothing near me last time I checked, which surprised me at the time. I'll look into it again I guess.

I'm not married to throws and grappling, my original foundation was Wado-ryu karate (and while I eventually parted ways for personal reasons, that did give me a hell of a foundation) and my more recent love is Filipino martial arts. I'm not averse to throws and grappling, I just haven't trained in some time and happened to run into the guy who taught it at the gym.

EDIT: Okay now there are a couple BJJ places near me. There weren't last time I looked. Maybe I'll look into that.

guppy fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Apr 15, 2013

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

kimbo305 posted:

I train there. It'd be a good fit. We don't have as good MT instruction as some places, but I don't necessarily see that as a problem. Our amateur fighters perform fine in local fights.
Here's a broader review:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3032491&pagenumber=391&perpage=40#post406896242

Redline chat: I looked into that place, it looks like it does some pretty good work and some of the guys I see from out of there are pretty good, but it's a little on the expensive side. Also it strikes me as more grapple-centric than the other really solid gym in the Boston area. So take that as you will.

e: And Kimbo already told you about Sityodtong and Wai Kru so all the really solid places in the Boston area are represented here. I found Sityodtong to have a better price point and more convenient location, but your mileage may vary and any of those three places will give you some good training.

Novum fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Apr 15, 2013

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

guppy posted:

They were kind enough to let me come to not one but two free classes, which was very nice and, while I'm going to take a day or two to think about it, makes me feel worse about the fact that I'm probably not going to join up.

If 1/4 of the people who came to a single class came to a second one I wouldn't have room for all the students. And if 1/4 of the ones that came to a second class made it to yellow belt I'd be able to quit my day job.

The downside is that the longer I spend as an instructor the less effort I want to spend on the people below brown belt. Because I know that 99% of them aren't going to be around very long, and it sucks wasting all that time because it takes away from the students who are committed. The only thing that keeps me going there is that I don't know who the 1% guy or gal is going to be.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Novum posted:

Redline chat: I looked into that place, it looks like it does some pretty good work and some of the guys I see from out of there are pretty good, but it's a little on the expensive side. Also it strikes me as more grapple-centric than the other really solid gym in the Boston area. So take that as you will.

I've only take other people's words for the MT gyms -- do they even have grappling classes? I think you're right -- there's more kickboxing classes in breadth and depth than other stuff, but there's no redundancy. Aka just one level 1 class one time a week, etc. So it's not as flexible for any given schedule.
I do like how late the classes are -- that's good for both students and working folks.

Even though I like it a lot, I only started training there cuz it's 3min walk from my apartment.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Unsure about Wai Kru but Sityodtong has grappling classes 5 days a week, but often you'll need to choose MT class or the wrestling/BJJ class because they're run simultaneously. SYT is in Somerville though, so depending on our buddy's location it might be tough to get to. Really though it's right off the Orange line.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
[STRIKECHAT]: Combinations & training striking with a pair or with the pads.

One wisdom I've heard is that if you regularly practice say 6-8 strike combinations, you'll be able to throw 3-4 strike combinations in a fight (which is a lot). If you only practice jab+cross, or cross+roundhouse, you sure as hell won't do better than that when it's go time. Also training with a pair and padwork can be hellafun and inspiring when you rip loose a 10 step set of strikes and slips and more strikes all in one fluid motion. I admit, it's just cool.

IMO it's also good for conditioning and learning how to chain strikes in different situations both instead of just looking "cool". Sadly one boxing class I've been going to late only ever does 2-4 punch/move combos. (Probably because 70% of the students would be overwhelmed if training in pairs tho). Not that they aren't good as well. You can fine-tune a single punch or two. I also think when you're preparing for a fight, it doesn't hurt to master your own short "go-to" combination you can always throw well when pressed, tired, unconscious or during an earthquake/alien invasion.

Opinions, own experiences or preferences on the matter, from you striker guyz? Do you train short/long combinations, what do you think are the uses, disagreements with my points?

How the people I occasionally instruct are is a really a mixed bag but certainly seem to prefer 2-3 strikes, anything else often considered unpractical or "too hard". (At which point I sometimes gleefully make them do something "too hard" or borderline ridiculous like back-stepping while throwing a left hook over a jab or something). Savateurs and boxers have different requirements and preferences of course. Punchers prefer short slip+punch+punch type of stuff. French frog sailor foot fighters are happy throwing a combination of 6 punches/kicks all with their crazy angle changes, as that caters to stylistical differences.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Thoguh posted:

If 1/4 of the people who came to a single class came to a second one I wouldn't have room for all the students. And if 1/4 of the ones that came to a second class made it to yellow belt I'd be able to quit my day job.

The downside is that the longer I spend as an instructor the less effort I want to spend on the people below brown belt. Because I know that 99% of them aren't going to be around very long, and it sucks wasting all that time because it takes away from the students who are committed. The only thing that keeps me going there is that I don't know who the 1% guy or gal is going to be.

We should make [COACH-CHAT] posts too. How many of us instruct/coach at least on occasion? 3? 4? More? Information exchange is always cool, as long as it doesn't devolve into semantics and/or people just telling "ur gyms ways r shittey." :)

Everything has it's ups and downs, but sometimes when you teach a few basic courses on row where you don't either just connect with the people for some reason, and who obviously had no inclination to take it further, it can get old or frustrate. Why am I teaching the jab for someone who doesn't know what it is for the 500th time, because he won't be throwing one after 2,5 months anyway? Wahh wahh.

Then again you can suddenly get a really nice group even though 99% of them won't stick with serious training later you can still have a ton of fun with them. I just had a group like that end two weeks ago and I miss them :(

Ligur fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Apr 15, 2013

mewse
May 2, 2006

Ligur posted:

Opinions, own experiences or preferences on the matter, from you striker guyz? Do you train short/long combinations, what do you think are the uses, disagreements with my points?

Longer combos are hard but make shorter combos easier. We train combos like jab-jab-cross-jab-cross-jab-cross which is simple because it's just straight punches, but it's 7 punches intended for if we have an opponent wobbled or something. Then there are longer combos that break my brain and I have trouble executing them, but that's part of practicing to me, is to work on things that are difficult until they become easy.

We also do simple combos like 1-2s with in-outs on the bag but complaining about longer combos being too hard seems kinda asinine

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

It's so weird that wrestling, boxing and MMA were all fleshed-out martial arts (and official olympic sports) before the old testament was written, but Aikido dudes act like they are part of some kind of noble and ancient tradition. There needs to be a different term for TMAs. The problem is, you need to come up with a term that describes the difference but isn't obviously offensive to the TMA crowd, or it won't catch on.

Sidenote: I wish instead of 'Art of Mars' it was 'Art of Ares' because Mars was more like an honorable soldier but Ares was a violent psychotic rear end in a top hat. Aresian arts? Arestial arts? I dunno.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
First CivilDisobedience drops Kantian philosophy, and now this, but.. I thought Mars and Ares were different names for the same god, changed back when the Romans co-opted the Greek religion pantheon? How could one be more psychotic than the other?

edit for actual m/a content! :

Ligur posted:

We should make [COACH-CHAT] posts too. How many of us instruct/coach at least on occasion? 3? 4? More? Information exchange is always cool, as long as it doesn't devolve into semantics and/or people just telling "ur gyms ways r shittey." :)

I did quite a bit of instructing a while back, but it burned me out pretty badly, and I had to step back from it. Instructing is a lot of fun, and a great way to discover the holes in your teaching theory or understanding of techniques. It's also really satisfying to see someone apply something you taught them, but in my case, instruction also meant a lot of less time spent on the mat and developing your own techniques. Time spent walking around helping people and answering questions is time where I didn't get to drill on the very same techniques I was teaching others.

Also, responsibility sucks, and because I'm a huge manchild, it's also the antidote to having a good time on your own volition.

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Apr 15, 2013

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Yeah I get that, I had a 6 month stint when I was instructing 13561 classes a week because we were low on people and yes I learned a lot but that was definitely enough for a while. Now I keep it two, maybe three classes a week max and preferably on days when I'd go anyway and can train before or after.

Even when I don't feel like it I try to think I'll still do the same conditioning exercises and stretches with the rest and at least break a sweat, so it's something for me too.

edit: also I suggest all you check out how CAPTAIN KIRK HE gently caress YOU UP

Ligur fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Apr 15, 2013

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

It's so weird that wrestling, boxing and MMA were all fleshed-out martial arts (and official olympic sports) before the old testament was written, but Aikido dudes act like they are part of some kind of noble and ancient tradition. There needs to be a different term for TMAs. The problem is, you need to come up with a term that describes the difference but isn't obviously offensive to the TMA crowd, or it won't catch on.

Sidenote: I wish instead of 'Art of Mars' it was 'Art of Ares' because Mars was more like an honorable soldier but Ares was a violent psychotic rear end in a top hat. Aresian arts? Arestial arts? I dunno.

Pro-tip - most of our body of literature involving Greek myth comes from Athens and Athenians. Mysteriously, Athena tends to come across really well and Ares really poorly. :iiam:

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
athena was in charge of soldiers and the "good" parts of war like valor and honor and staying in your phalanx position to protect the guy next to you.

Ares was the "bad" parts of war like massacring civilians and running around like a crazy person losing your mind to fear or bloodlust.

Mars takes on some of Ares' stuff but also a lot of Athenas' role.

Its all very confusing and unclear because this was 1000s of years of history and many different cultures all swirling together. Like there was a concept of Mars in Italy before they adopted a lot of the greek stuff. So Mars on a bad day is like Ares but usually hes more Athena except not all of Athena's stuff only the war and soldier parts.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

CivilDisobedience posted:

Also I think we could all benefit from a quick mention of the analytic-synthetic distinction (IE Is semantic discussion 'pedantic' or 'meaningful'). General opinion is that semantic arguments are unproductive because they boil down to circular logic, like "All unmarried men are bachelors" is a true statement by virtue of the fact that a bachelor is, by definition, an unmarried man. This is also called an analytic position. Synthetic arguments, on the other hand, are supposed to do a better job of reflecting reality, and require more justification than a dictionary.

The analytic-synthetic distinction was A Big Thing in the 20th century among logical positivists (a misnomer, this has nothing to do with optimism), and the height of that discussion produced some mind-blowing writing on the different types of truth theories (http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/truth/), but for the most part Quine and others ended the conversation by pointing out that analytic and synthetic claims aren't really that different and both have potential value. This is basically a discussion that the public got wind of at some point and never really understood, and philosophers usually file "that's just semantics" with "that's just your opinion" in the folder of "things that people say when they mean that a position is unjustified but they can't explain why."

C'mon man, if you're gonna bring it up, you gotta post "Two Dogmas of Empiricism". http://www.ditext.com/quine/quine.html

I've been taught that the shift from Athenian worship to Mars worship was due to Rome being more patriarchal than Greece, but that always sounded like one of those really plausible cultural narratives that's ultimately just speculative.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Speaking of coaches, do you amateur-type coaches get paid by the gym usually? I don't know why but I keep wondering if my coaches get compensated or not. I'd feel bad if they didn't.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

HondaCivet posted:

Speaking of coaches, do you amateur-type coaches get paid by the gym usually? I don't know why but I keep wondering if my coaches get compensated or not. I'd feel bad if they didn't.

I get discount on equipment (and occasional free sponspor gloves, club shirts, wraps etc), can train for free aaand get pocket money that at least covers travel expenses (plentifully if you use public transport/walk) and leaves some cash to go grab something to eat or your supplements or whatever. When you count your yearly savings, it's not bad at all. Some trainers don't even want compensation though they just want to promote their sport.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

CivilDisobedience posted:

And that's not because I'm trying to be exclusive, it's because people need to realize that there's a big difference between doing Judo and doing some throws in your BJJ/MMA class. If you were taught the stuff for no other reason than to help you win more fights, you weren't doing Judo (and by my definition you weren't even doing martial arts).

Bingo. Many of the Asian martial arts are just as much about personal development as it is about winning. The whole thing about 'this art is more effective than this and this gym is better than that' is for a large part totally dependent on what you are trying to achieve.

Here, for example, is a nice bit about judo:

http://judoinfo.com/new/alphabetical-list/principles-of-kodokan-judo/210-the-way-of-seiryoku-zenyo-jita-kyoei-by-shinichi-oimatsu
"Professor Kano stated this fundamental attitude in an address seven years after the founding of Kodokan: "Judo is a valuable asset. The more one strives to improve, the more Judo will collectively become an educational method of physical growth, mental growth, and moral growth at the same time. The reason for this is that as a consequence of much study of the former forms of Jujitsu the necessary elements were kept, needless elements were discarded, and the most suitable thing for today's society was formed." Moreover, Kodokan Judo "achieves the three purposes of physical growth, challenge, and moral training simultaneously." For the following reasons the term "Judo" was chosen instead of the more general term of "Jujitsu": (i) Jujitsu was dangerous as including the arts of strangle-hold and joint-twisting, (ii) Jujitsu lost its value as an art since it was being taught by unqualified people, and (iii) Jujitsu came to be thought of as something vulgar because of charging admission fees and entertaining people by showing Jujitsu. For these and other reasons as well the name "Judo" was given.

Professor Kano synthesized the three purposes of Judo and what he regarded highly was "the realization of the Way of managing human and social life." This was especially deeply related to moral law." That is to say, 1) cultivation of morals, 2) refinement of mental development, and 3) application of the doctrine of the challenging spirit of Judo to everyday life. Regarding the third point in particular, what is taught at the dojo (training hall) and what is learned about Judo are not where Judo training stops but where it starts. All that is taught and learned should be made a part of one's own life as well as a part of society."

Kendo, Aikido,heck even Kyudo follow similar principles: The process of rigorous training, where you aim to constantly improve, will make you a better person. Now, you can argue you can do that through collecting stamps, but the idea is that the challenges, frustration and hardship you experience you experience through martial arts training are ideally suited for 'polishing the mind'.
Painting with a broad brush, this is the same for all the martial arts that end with a 'do'.

I am well aware of the stylistic nature of kendo and that the actual techniques will be of limited use in a 'real fight', but that's beside the point. I don't train to win a real fight. I train to become better and when I do fight, I do it within the boundary that kendo has defined.

That is not to say that Bullshido shouldn't be called out when spotted, but that's mostly because those places pretend (and try to make money of) to teach you stuff that they can't.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I know #8 as a buffalo punch. I think I got that term from Def Jam Vendetta.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

HondaCivet posted:

I get paid, but not enough to live on. It's not my main source of income

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

HondaCivet posted:

When I was just volunteering at a club they waived my monthly fees. I was totally okay with this because I was still getting coaching from some great guys but just was also expected to do stuff like occasionally run warm ups and help out the new guys with their techniques. Being a junior instructor is really an ideal situation.

Now actually being the main instructor costs me money because it is a college club and everyone is broke and doesn't have a car. So I end up spending money. Mainly on gas and occasionally subsidizing hotel room or entrance fee costs if somebody can't afford to pay them. I'm okay with the money part, when I was a broke college kid my instructors did the exact same for me and I am honored that I can now return that favor. And I also love teaching. It has helped my own technique immensely because when you teach it forces you to get better, and to examine your weak areas so you don't show stuff incorrectly. It is just tough to find a balance between developing your dedicated athletes and bringing new students into the fold knowing that most of them are going to quit.

For example, my first class as a white belt we had around 30 new students. By the end of the semester we were down to around 5 who tested for a colored belt. By the end of that year we were down to 3 guys still with it. Two of us ended up as black belts, and that was considered a huge success. For two years prior and a year after none of the white belt classes produced any black belts, and this was a pretty large club. I've been involved with three different clubs around the country and that seems fairly standard. It takes a dozen or more people showing up to produce one yellow belt. Then it takes a dozen or more yellow belts to produce one black belt. For the white belts the attrition comes from lack of interest or realizing that Judo really hurts, especially when you are still learning how to fall. For the people that make it to yellow the attrition comes from general life issues (having kids, moving away, etc...) or from guys not coming back from their first injury. When a guy gets an injury that causes him to miss a month or two but comes back afterword I know he or she is going to be with us for the long haul.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Apr 16, 2013

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Thoguh posted:

When I was just volunteering at a club they waived my monthly fees. I was totally okay with this because I was still getting coaching from some great guys but just was also expected to do stuff like occasionally run warm ups and help out the new guys with their techniques. Being a junior instructor is really an ideal situation.

Now actually being the main instructor costs me money because it is a college club and everyone is broke and doesn't have a car. So I end up spending money. Mainly on gas and occasionally subsidizing hotel room or entrance fee costs if somebody can't afford to pay them. I'm okay with the money part, when I was a broke college kid my instructors did the exact same for me and I am honored that I can now return that favor. And I also love teaching. It has helped my own technique immensely because when you teach it forces you to get better, and to examine your weak areas so you don't show stuff incorrectly. It is just tough to find a balance between developing your dedicated athletes and bringing new students into the fold knowing that most of them are going to quit.

For example, my first class as a white belt we had around 30 new students. By the end of the semester we were down to around 5 who tested for a colored belt. By the end of that year we were down to 3 guys still with it. Two of us ended up as black belts, and that was considered a huge success. For two years prior and a year after none of the white belt classes produced any black belts, and this was a pretty large club. I've been involved with three different clubs around the country and that seems fairly standard. It takes a dozen or more people showing up to produce one yellow belt. Then it takes a dozen or more yellow belts to produce one black belt. For the white belts the attrition comes from lack of interest or realizing that Judo really hurts, especially when you are still learning how to fall. For the people that make it to yellow the attrition comes from general life issues (having kids, moving away, etc...) or from guys not coming back from their first injury. When a guy gets an injury that causes him to miss a month or two but comes back afterword I know he or she is going to be with us for the long haul.

Yeah there's a common saying in BJJ circles that a black belt is a white belt who kept showing up. It makes a lot of sense considering the amount of guys who wash out. Most of whom can't find a way to make it work whether its work, family or relationships that get in the way, or they just use them as an excuse.

On the combinations question, we'll usually start off with something simple like throwing the 1-2, then we'll add in the 3-4, then it'll change to doubling up the attack on one side, also into high low stuff like a front kick to the midsection - jab - cross - leg kick - hook - upper cut. We tend to spend more time early when we're getting trained on getting the fundamentals locked down and that flows easily into getting a good striking rhythm and variation of attacks afterwards. The idea my coaches say is that this way you're not thinking of what technique should come next but flow into it based on your balance, distance and their defense/movement.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
So I have an odd problem with my mouth guard. I gag. I can't keep it in so I just don't wear it. I haven't really needed it yet in kickboxing just yet but will probably need it when I start BJJ. I'm currently using the Shock Doctor Gel Nano.

I looked into this a little and some people apparently cut theirs. Is it ok to cut some of back off of this specific mouth guard? Anyone else have this problem?

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Yeah cut it and refit it.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
sometimes its ok that people don't make it to black belt or train their whole lives.

When I set out boxing I had the goal of doing it long enough to stop being illogically afraid of being punched (I am still afraid but it is no longer illogical)and to practice enough to able to throw a jab that was not a total joke. Someone who trains bjj until they're a blue belt and then decides that is enough for them isn't necessarily a failure, they may just have different priorities in life.

I had a friend that trained bjj for like 3 weeks with me before he quit. He got jumped in a parking lot and remembered enough to roll the other guy over to get on top and then run away. He said all he retained was "top good/bottom bad" and it saved him from at least a beating and maybe worse.

Remembering stuff like that helps me stay enthusiastic teaching white belts

Xguard86 fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Apr 16, 2013

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I probably wasn't clear there. Martial Arts aren't for everyone and it is also really easy for life to get in the way, even for me I have to miss classes due to work obligations much more often than I would like. But the reality is that there is limited mat space, limited instruction time, and limited attention you can spend on each individual. So what sucks is that all the time you spend with someone who is going to quit next week is time and attention that you could have spent with somebody who isn't. Or having to waste the time of people who are there every practice to reteach something to people who skip workouts. That is what is frustrating.

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

So, I just broke my first nose.

Well, not mine, the other guy's. We were doing some medium-hard pugilism sparring after a day full of HEMA workshops, so MMA gloves, no headguards and vertical punches. He kept leaning his head forward when going for bodyshots, I shot out a right straight which landed dead center on his nose, squish. He was pretty cool about it, first time he broke his nose in years of fighting with this ruleset/gear. We've now got a rematch planned for the next event.

It's a bit odd, the blows exchanged weren't nearly as hard as the ones I take on a regular basis during Muay Thai classes. Lighter gloves make quite a difference, I guess. Noses breaking make a nasty as hell sound.

Anyway, I'd like to not break any more noses, specifically not my own, so I'm looking into some lightweight headgear which gives good nose protection. I always figured that when I'd buy headgear I'd get a Winning one, but I don't have 200-500 USD to spend on this poo poo for the forseeable future. Anybody got experience with some cheaper ones?

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006

Xguard86 posted:

sometimes its ok that people don't make it to black belt or train their whole lives.

When I set out boxing I had the goal of doing it long enough to stop being illogically afraid of being punched (I am still afraid but it is no longer illogical)and to practice enough to able to throw a jab that was not a total joke. Someone who trains bjj until they're a blue belt and then decides that is enough for them isn't necessarily a failure, they may just have different priorities in life.

I had a friend that trained bjj for like 3 weeks with me before he quit. He got jumped in a parking lot and remembered enough to roll the other guy over to get on top and then run away. He said all he retained was "top good/bottom bad" and it saved him from at least a beating and maybe worse.

Remembering stuff like that helps me stay enthusiastic teaching white belts

gently caress them. Samurai or die!

Train by day, Joe Rogan Podcast by night. All Day!

/half joking

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

I haven't posted here in a while, but I know a while back I mentioned my goal to make it onto the USA Judo roster, which after the past 2 weekends I accomplished. I finished 3rd at the Liberty Bell Judo classic in the senior -100kg division which gave me .5 senior ranking points. Granted thats the fewest I can possibly have, but its a start! I also competed the Sr. Nationals in VA beach. I lost my second round fight by a yuko and my 2nd repecharge fight with Myles Porter, both fighters who finished with bronze medals. I finished tied for 7th.

Nobody threw me for ippon, which felt good, but my ground work is still a liability (Porter arm barred me).

CivilDisobedience
Dec 27, 2008
Nice job man! Way to set a goal and make it happen. Sounds like you've got the right attitude about it too, which is admirable. If you got any footage of the matches you should definitely post it!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Rhaka posted:

Anyway, I'd like to not break any more noses, specifically not my own, so I'm looking into some lightweight headgear which gives good nose protection. I always figured that when I'd buy headgear I'd get a Winning one, but I don't have 200-500 USD to spend on this poo poo for the forseeable future. Anybody got experience with some cheaper ones?

Nothing that I know of. For a long time, I tried to get the Everlast Safemax. Between their horrible supply chain reporting and customer service, I gave up on it after a few months of waiting. There's other maybe less quality clones:
http://www.amazon.com/Ringside-Deluxe-Saver-Boxing-Headgear/dp/B007ZZ4DWO/
I didn't know they put out a new one that's a bit lighter. Still heavy compared to the FG-2900, though. That thing weight about as much as a stiff breeze.
If I get that new one, you can have my old FG-5000 if you want.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

Rhaka posted:

So, I just broke my first nose.

Well, not mine, the other guy's. We were doing some medium-hard pugilism sparring after a day full of HEMA workshops, so MMA gloves, no headguards and vertical punches. He kept leaning his head forward when going for bodyshots, I shot out a right straight which landed dead center on his nose, squish. He was pretty cool about it, first time he broke his nose in years of fighting with this ruleset/gear. We've now got a rematch planned for the next event.

It's a bit odd, the blows exchanged weren't nearly as hard as the ones I take on a regular basis during Muay Thai classes. Lighter gloves make quite a difference, I guess. Noses breaking make a nasty as hell sound.

It's still possible to break a nose with those head gear. The best way to prevent broken noses is to use big ol 16oz gloves and head gear. Don't ever spar striking with MMA gloves, that's just loving stupid.

unless they look something like this, but with more padding: http://bestmmafightinggloves.blogspot.com/2012/11/combat-sports-mma-sparring-gloves.html

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

swmmrmanshen posted:

I haven't posted here in a while, but I know a while back I mentioned my goal to make it onto the USA Judo roster, which after the past 2 weekends I accomplished. I finished 3rd at the Liberty Bell Judo classic in the senior -100kg division which gave me .5 senior ranking points. Granted thats the fewest I can possibly have, but its a start! I also competed the Sr. Nationals in VA beach. I lost my second round fight by a yuko and my 2nd repecharge fight with Myles Porter, both fighters who finished with bronze medals. I finished tied for 7th.

Nobody threw me for ippon, which felt good, but my ground work is still a liability (Porter arm barred me).

Congrats man! That's awesome! And I certainly wouldn't downplay "only .5 points". That's still putting you in the top 20 Judoka in the country at your weight class. No small achievement.

How'd senior nationals go with the new rules? Lots of disqualifications?

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Thoguh posted:

How'd senior nationals go with the new rules? Lots of disqualifications?

Yea. It was pretty clowny. I think the rules will have to be adjusted in some way. Though I did fight a guy who just straight shot a single on me. It was his first tournament in a while.

That being said, it's still judo. That means, despite annoying rules, its still two fighters trying to throw/pin/choke/armbar each other. Rules are annoying, but its still the same sport more or less.

Scrot Eel
Jan 22, 2002

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!
I'm currently 6' and 290lbs (50lbs lost and trying to lose another 100lbs). I've been wanting to get into kickboxing/MT for a while now and have been looking at classes to speed up my fat loss because I hate cardio. My plan would be to do 2-3 hour-long classes a week to go with my 3-day/week weightlifting split. I've got slight knee problems from being fat but nothing too bad. Is this a bad idea that I'll regret? Should I wait until I drop another 50 or so lbs?

I'm looking into the South Austin Gym, which is the closest to my office. Any other recommendations for Austin, TX?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Don't wait get on it! Adjust your schedule for what you can handle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Double post

• Locked thread