Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

HappyHippo posted:

Just added the minimap to my RTS

I'm getting a very strong Dune II vibe off of this and that makes me super happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
I missed screenshot saturday, but meh, it's been a good weekend. Really happy with how the revolver system came together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEPZwlAAD-E

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Apr 14, 2013

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

Shalinor posted:

I missed screenshot saturday, but meh, it's been a good weekend. Really happy with how the revolver system came together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEPZwlAAD-E

Have you played / seen receiver? That game gets super into gun handling and they modeled a revolver, a lot like this.

It's such a neat mechanic and more games should go nuts like that.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
Shalinor: Beyond verisimilitude, what sort of gameplay purpose do you forsee for empty chambers, blanks and the like?

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!
Video Sunday! Added my first pass at a lighting system. I also added the ability to jump (it looks kind of goofy right now since there's no animation, almost like Luigi running in the air). I also added a boomerang that the player can influence after throwing.

The blog post.

And of course, a video that shows it all:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXgs22SCXXk&hd=1

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

EDIT: ^^ looking awesome!

Internet Janitor posted:

Shalinor: Beyond verisimilitude, what sort of gameplay purpose do you forsee for empty chambers, blanks and the like?
This is a gun game where your character refuses to shoot anyone (think Batman - she'll shoot down a chandelier on top of them, just no killing), so getting the player to connect with the gun as a tool instead of as a ray gun is important.

As for uses - the persuasion system in the game is Russian roulette. You initiate by pointing the gun at someone and spinning the cylinder, and they're aware of whether it's loaded. Every NPC has a certain threat level, and you have to make it to that many clicks (before the blank fires) to make them squeal. If you hit the blank, you piss them off. You can buy your reputation back up with them then try again. Realistically, the expectation is that certain NPCs are effectively immune to persuasion until you get a bigger gun.

That said, that's only blanks and empties. Leads are used for breaking things, basically. Grapples shoot out a pull rope that either pulls you to the target, or the target to you. Rebounds are overloaded blanks that send you flying in the opposite direction (and also push any nearby targets away). Bloods are like blanks, but instantly persuade. Fireworks shoot out a firework (release trigger to detonate) that create a floating light source - and also act as a distraction, and ignite anything near to the explosion.

... hence - revolver as tool. (And yep, I've played Receiver - very cool game)

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Apr 15, 2013

Contains Acetone
Aug 22, 2004
DROP IN ANY US MAILBOX, POST PAID BY SECUR-A-KEY

Contains Acetone fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jun 24, 2020

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

Here is a project I've been working on for the past 6 months. It's huge.

The gist of it is: we're organizing a music festival, and to spice things up, we're transforming the entire building into a giant, interactive screen. Pimp My Wall lets you draw with your smartphone on a 3000 square foot wall.

The whole thing is in french, but the idea is that we're using a webapp (all coded in HTML5+JavaScript) so it's compatible with virtually every iOS or Android phone. Unfortunately Windows Phone does not deal with touch events and canvas very well, so they're out of the game.

Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z556DVzhJW4&hd=1

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

To get out of a rut I've been in recently I whipped up a Chip8 emulator this afternoon.

source (Forth)

It's a fun and strange little architecture- I may take a crack at writing an original game or two for it.

theratking
Jan 18, 2012
Found a familiar game on the front page of hacker news :)
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2033318/black-annex-is-the-best-qbasic-game-youve-ever-seen.html

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
I was still in denial that it was written in QBasic. Nice!

As for me, since I was lacking in a blog and and a portfolio site, I decided to extract out the Zurb Foundation and blog parts of a non-profit's nanoc site I was working on to base my own site off of. I wanted something extremely low maintenance and yet very powerful for my own site. The previous incarnations of my blog were Wordpress over the past decade and I've always found it a pain in the rear end to try to maintain and customize. I'm far more comfortable with nanoc since it's a static site generator and not the bloated thing that is Wordpress. For once, I actually feel like I'm in control.

Admittedly, it's a bit spartan. Oh well!

I may not have my own site up and done yet but at least I can say I was extracting and building a good foundation for it last weekend. I can probably reuse this foundation/bootstrap for other sites needing a low maintenance yet super customizable web presence as well.

https://github.com/crazysim/nanoc-foundation-blog

and maybe so can you!

crazysim fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Apr 17, 2013

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Just saw it on Daring Fireball too. poo poo's getting real!

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Hey Mug a lot of the coverage prominently mentions using Qbasic. Besides being a smart (if inadvertent?) marketing angle, do you think that's an important aspect of the game?

To me it's like the news stories when a teenager makes an app or a website and every single story is about how young the kid is.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
I think it's an interesting story but the game really needs to stand on it's own.

The Greenlight votes are the real thing. I literally have enough people saying "Yes, I will buy this" that if they really did, I would make more money that I have at my day job for the past few years combined.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Mug posted:

I think it's an interesting story but the game really needs to stand on it's own.

The Greenlight votes are the real thing. I literally have enough people saying "Yes, I will buy this" that if they really did, I would make more money that I have at my day job for the past few years combined.

You do know that we can't see the votes? At least I don't think we can?? I wanted to know how many people have voted but there's seemingly nowhere public that you can see it, must be a creator-only-thing.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

Jewel posted:

You do know that we can't see the votes?? At least I don't think we can?? I wanted to know how many people have voted but there's seemingly nowhere public that you can see it, must be a creator-only-thing.

Yeah, it's private, and I don't really wanna say numbers because I don't like setting up expectations like that.

I didn't realize Yahoo Hacker News was a big website. Teo (Abducted by Sharks) got so loving excited over it and he's been selling albums waaay more than usual thanks to it all. He's the first person to make a dollar off Black Annex :D

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Mug posted:

Yahoo Hacker News

Heh, Hacker News isn't a part of Yahoo. Think of it as a particularly large and influential subreddit that manages to moderate itself somewhat better than average. It skews older than Reddit and slightly towards higher-quality discussion - though it's been suffering from member growth and occasionally a bit too much hypercritical criticism.

In any case, the press you've been getting is impressive! I wonder if the wave of coverage can last long enough for you to ride it into a lot of release-day sales. As some have said, there's a novelty angle to the coverage. Once the "omg it's QBASIC" buzz plays itself out, they might move on to the next something-or-other for no particular reason. Good luck, in any case.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
It's almost split between people getting excited about a syndicate-style game, and people just impressed it's written in QBASIC.

Either way, whatever happens, it cost bugger all to make so whatever really.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
Haha, a dude from a big (I'm not going to mention any partners at this point) digital distributor just approached me to sell black annex because the engineering team he works with kept emailing him today bugging him to get black annex as it's made "in the language they all grew up with".

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Mug posted:

Haha, a dude from a big (I'm not going to mention any partners at this point) digital distributor just approached me to sell black annex because the engineering team he works with kept emailing him today bugging him to get black annex as it's made "in the language they all grew up with".

I don't think you could've found a better marketing angle really. Now I just hope the game is fun!

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

pokeyman posted:

I don't think you could've found a better marketing angle really. Now I just hope the game is fun!

I honestly think the game is a broken, nonsense mess. Like, I look at it and just think "This makes no sense, no one will ever understand this poo poo. It's confusing and hard to control and horrible".

I hear those feelings never go away, though. Playtesters seem to like it.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

Added some font stuff. I know rendering text isn't exactly the most thrilling thing in the world, but I tried to make the video a bit more interesting with some twists. You might need to make the player bigger than default to read it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30PTT_OIhr0&hd=1

Blog post Here.

firehawk
May 23, 2005

Oookkeeee!

Internet Janitor posted:

To get out of a rut I've been in recently I whipped up a Chip8 emulator this afternoon.
Hey, this is pretty cool! The first ever computer I used was a Telmac 1800 my dad built from a kit. He still has the original circuit boards somewhere but I think all the tape cassettes and program listings have unfortunately been thrown away. He had piles of small photocopied booklets with both Chip8 and BASIC programs on them.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Orzo posted:

Added some font stuff.

That's great. I can imagine using the destructible text in a clever way, like changing what an NPC is requesting. "Bring me some cat food."

Also laughed at Wow this is cheesy.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Orzo posted:

Added some font stuff. I know rendering text isn't exactly the most thrilling thing in the world, but I tried to make the video a bit more interesting with some twists. You might need to make the player bigger than default to read it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30PTT_OIhr0&hd=1

Blog post Here.

I've been watching your videos for awhile; it's really awesome. Do you have a plan to release the full game to the public? I'm not sure how much work you've got done, but I'd play it.

take boat
Jul 8, 2006
boat: TAKEN

Mug posted:

I honestly think the game is a broken, nonsense mess. Like, I look at it and just think "This makes no sense, no one will ever understand this poo poo. It's confusing and hard to control and horrible".

I hear those feelings never go away, though. Playtesters seem to like it.

"gently caress it, ship it"

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

Knyteguy posted:

I've been watching your videos for awhile; it's really awesome. Do you have a plan to release the full game to the public? I'm not sure how much work you've got done, but I'd play it.
Yes, I definitely plan on releasing this. Ideally I'd like to use Steam.

What you see is what I have done; there's still obviously a ton of work to do, but the engine is probably nearing 40-60% completion at this point. I haven't actually designed any of the real areas of the game yet. I'm working with an artist who has been a bit busy lately, but should have more time to devote in the coming months.

Ideally I'd like to wrap up most of the engine development in the next 2-4 months and then start actually building levels. Either way, it's going to take a while--this is a hobby and passion project, not a job (I have a job as a software engineer doing something very very far from game development).

I'm glad you're digging the videos as much as I am making them, thanks!

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

firehawk posted:

Hey, this is pretty cool! The first ever computer I used was a Telmac 1800 my dad built from a kit. He still has the original circuit boards somewhere but I think all the tape cassettes and program listings have unfortunately been thrown away. He had piles of small photocopied booklets with both Chip8 and BASIC programs on them.

Thanks! It's a shame those listings are probably lost. If you ever dig any up (especially something that hasn't already been found online) I'd love to have a look.

My emulator works for most of the binaries I've tried, so the next step in my Chip8 adventure is doing a little homebrew. There's one asssembler available, but it's sort of crusty. I put together an assembler of my own that I call Octo which uses structured control flow and provides syntax that should be fairly easy for a C programmer to pick up. Here's an example:

code:
:data smile
	0b01000010
	0b01000010
	0b00000000
	0b01000010
	0b00111100
	0b00000000

: body
	v2 := 0
	loop
		v0 := rnd 0b00111111
		v1 := rnd 0b00011111
		draw v0 v1 5
		v2 += 1
		while v2 != 32
	again
	cls
;

: main
	a := smile
	loop body again
;
A longer program which shows off more features is here. Some screenshots of my test programs so far:

DrunkenAstronaut
Dec 2, 2005
I've been cleaning up some older parts of a huge web-based system that's been in development for the past 5 years. Recently switched to using Bootstrap for more maintainable CSS and templates.

Here's one part I thought turned out especially well:

Before:

After:

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

DrunkenAstronaut posted:

I've been cleaning up some older parts of a huge web-based system that's been in development for the past 5 years. Recently switched to using Bootstrap for more maintainable CSS and templates.

Here's one part I thought turned out especially well:

Before:

After:

Looks great. Now you get to deal with the joys hearing nothing but bitching. To quote myself: "The only thing people hate more than the terrible UI they've been using for years is change."

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Orzo posted:

Something interesting that some former coworkers are working on is GLyphy, a full text rendering system using just GLES 2.0 and shaders. I've always wondered if it's something suitable for a game.

hendersa
Sep 17, 2006

I've been hacking on the bootloader for BeagleSNES. I'm trying to get the video to initialize properly so that I can display a custom splash screen immediately upon system power up. Right now, I either get no signal at all or a bunch of flashing over the S-Video output. Adding a splash screen has been done before, and there is a patch floating around that adds it. But, the patch sets up the registers for the 1280x720 HDMI output, rather than the 720x482 NTSC S-Video output.

Once the kernel is decompressed into memory and begins booting, I have a splash screen pop up. I actually replace the 80x80 penguin icon in the upper left corner with a much bigger image that acts as a splash screen. That splash pops up at roughly the 5 second mark, leaving me with 5 seconds of "dead air".

A little digging brought me to something interesting. I found that in the kernel driver for the BeagleBoard video ($KERNEL_PATH/drivers/video/omap2/dss/*) there are a lot of debugfs DUMPREG() calls. By enabling debugfs in BeagleSNES's kernel (Kernel Hacking -> Debug Filesystem in the kernel configuration), I can just cat out files in the /sys/kernel/debug file structure and get a TON of register values:

This is going to save me a LOT of time.

Also, I rewrote the gamepad code to handle dynamic plugging and unplugging of controllers. I've designated specific physical USB ports for "player one" and "player two". Only gamepads plugged into these ports will be recognized by BeagleSNES. I can stat() the entries of the device files for these specific USB ports in the devfs filesystem to find out which joystick device they correlate to, and I dynamically remap joystick events according to this. Now, it doesn't matter if you add and remove controllers, plug the player two controller in first, etc. It handles it all. The overhead is minimal in the standard case (no change in the plugged in gamepads), so there isn't a noticeable performance impact. There's a 100 ms or so hiccup when you add a gamepad or remove one, though.

I also sped up the boot time of the system by about 5 seconds, along with some other system optimizations. I'm at around 30 pages of documentation and climbing. :dance:

SourceForge is telling me that I've had downloads of BeagleSNES from all over the place. Argentina, Australia, China, Colombia, Estonia, France, Indonesia, Japan, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Switzerland, and the US. I was not expecting such a diverse audience. Yikes.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Orzo posted:

Added some font stuff.

Love it. Are you going to support variable width characters and kerning pairs?

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

akadajet posted:

Love it. Are you going to support variable width characters and kerning pairs?
Yes, I was pointed to BMFont as a tool to help generate font textures with kerning pairs and will likely be using that.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

I made some pretty good progress on my first Chip8 game- a "demake" of one of the games I wrote for my Forth VM:

Source (Octo)

It's 436 bytes compiled!

For comparison, the original:

Internet Janitor fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Apr 19, 2013

hendersa
Sep 17, 2006

BeagleSNES v0.2 is just about ready for release, and I plan on getting it packaged up and out the door this weekend. I'm also going to get that pile of documentation that I've been writing all wrapped up, too. I put together another video of the system for the upcoming release, which shows how it is running as of this evening: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uh0YgscO3no

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

parkov posted:

Just for the hell of it, I made CRAPCHA (Completely Ridiculous And Phony Captcha that Hassles for Amusement).

You can play around with it here: http://crapcha.com

I see that you're now featured on Neatorama! Congrats.

http://www.neatorama.com/2013/04/16/CRAPCHA/

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Just your regular ol' lovely pathtracer, I keep looking through Physically Based Rendering for details on a lot of methods and I keep getting depressed at how much better that renderer is than anything I could build :(

Next up: actually shading this motherfucker.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

It's Saturday somewhere, so - this week was mostly focusing on movement mechanics, which doesn't really screenshot. I've also started playing with chat bubbles, though:

... and it just isn't working. The above "chiseled" text isn't bad, but A.) that font sucks, and B.) it doesn't match the geometric style of anything else. What I really actually need is for NGUI to pop out an extruded 3D font, but since it can't (and I'm waaaay too busy to make an optimal system that'll do that from glyphs or bitmap data), I'll be experimenting with bitmap fonts that have more effects built into them. Including extrusion, hopefully. Since the chat bubbles exist in camera space, I'm pretty sure a baked-in perspective will be sufficient to make it look 3D.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Apr 20, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dizzywhip
Dec 23, 2005

I dunno how much it'll help, but that kind of chiseled text effect is usually best achieved by using a vertical offset only for the highlight. You have it also offset to the right, which makes it a bit too prominent. It may just not look good with a pixelated font like that, though.

Something else that makes it not fit in is that the text is the only thing in the scene that's antialiased. Not to mention antialiasing a pixel font generally looks pretty bad anyways. You may want to try to find the font's natural size and stick to multiples of that to prevent the blurriness.