Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Jonny 290 posted:

james blake was interesting last night

im convinced james blake is a very elaborate troll

not saying his stuff isnt good (it is) but there's something not right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i agree and i'm not sure if he's the acoustic dubstep tricky or what but i tried to set some of that aside and just enjoy a little drums and keys and singing, a very not-overproduced set

also caught a little bit of Tame Impala, not REALLY my thing but i still respect noisy 'gazey rawk musik

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
also there hasn't been a difference between 'electronic' and 'non electronic' music in 50 years. butch vig put sampled drums on smells like teen spirit because dave grohl still sucked at that point

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Jonny 290 posted:

then simian mobile disco came on and ripped the place apart

smd did one of my favourite videos:
http://vimeo.com/31759245 (maybe a little bit :nws: and definitely gross, enjoy!)

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
jonny being a professional beep boop musician yourself, what do you think about daft punk?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i don't like sidechains and their stuff's a little image-conscious for my taste. i would never play a daft punk. but they caused a million kids to get into the beep boops and thats a good thing.

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe
are ppl who make chiptunes like hardcore bout that poo poo

like, do they go 'you used 4 square waves in that nes song you r not a true chiptuner your just abusing the sound'

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

AtomD posted:

like, do they go 'you used 4 square waves in that nes song you r not a true chiptuner your just abusing the sound'

do you really have to ask if there are spergs in the one genre of music completely dominated by ultraspergs?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

i don't like sidechains and their stuff's a little image-conscious for my taste. i would never play a daft punk. but they caused a million kids to get into the beep boops and thats a good thing.

daft punk is the prodigy for the post-90's electronic scene

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

well no

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

AtomD posted:

they will go so far as to say "NO YOU CAN'T DO THOSE TOGETHER IT'S A BUG IN THE CHIP, ALSO YOU DID T RUN THIS ON REEEAAAAAALLLLLL HHAARRDDDWAAAAAREEE"

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

they are in that they got a jillion kids into electronic music, just like the prodigy did in the early 90's, just like skrillex did about a year or so ago.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

ill agree

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
there are two (2) good daft punk tracks:

-da funk
-revolution 909

thats it, the rest is trash. admit it

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yes. I admit the rest of electronic music is trash.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

graph posted:

-da funk
-revolution 909

around the world is played out these days, but it was hot back in the day. I honestly dont think there were too many standouts from discovery and human after all, both were meh albums in my mind. homework just had such a huge effect on me as a teenager that i eternally hold out hope that they can recapture that magic. i am also fully willing to admit that the electronic music world has moved on from the days of homework, and it will never be what i want it to be again and my rosecolored glasses tint things.

but dammit i want to believe, and i love homework OK

relative_q
Sep 9, 2008

shame on a kitty who try to run game on a kitty

wu buck wild wit tha trigga

graph posted:

-da funk
-revolution 909

you forgot "musique"

i think that most of the stuff that they did individually was better than daft punk tho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfpoXeOnfbg

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

relative_q posted:

you forgot "musique"

i think that most of the stuff that they did individually was better than daft punk tho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfpoXeOnfbg

musique was good too, but i never understood why they didnt put it on homework, opting instead to put it on the wipeout ost, as a b-side to da funk and then on a compilation album

relative_q
Sep 9, 2008

shame on a kitty who try to run game on a kitty

wu buck wild wit tha trigga

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

musique was good too, but i never understood why they didnt put it on homework, opting instead to put it on the wipeout ost, as a b-side to da funk and then on a compilation album

sometimes you just want a tune to be the b-side of a 12" i guess

Hashtag Nascar
Jan 4, 2012

Shaggar posted:

yes. I admit the rest of electronic music is trash.

what music does a shaggar listen to?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
all prog all the time

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Shaggar posted:

all prog all the time

tell us about the mars volta

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe

Resplendent Spiral posted:

they will go so far as to say "NO YOU CAN'T DO THOSE TOGETHER IT'S A BUG IN THE CHIP, ALSO YOU DID T RUN THIS ON REEEAAAAAALLLLLL HHAARRDDDWAAAAAREEE"

oh dear

lets use tech that makes everything possible to do as little as possible
kinda like all tech in a way

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
using equipment limitations to spur creativity is fine. cargoculting those limitations as though they were themselves responsible for the creative output is misguided.

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe

Jonny 290 posted:

using equipment limitations to spur creativity is fine.

thanks dr ruth

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Shaggar posted:

all prog all the time

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
dehumanize yourself and face to bloodshed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHo7fQGpxrE

:black101:

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Shaggar posted:

all prog all the time

like real prog or post-rock shite?

i prefer post-rock shite can't stand legit old school prog like king crimson, etc :shobon:

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
i have awful taste in music please yospos tell me what music to listen to

maybe after that tell me how to dress idk, i'm bascially an empty shell of a humanbeing who doesn't want to think for himself

Hashtag Nascar
Jan 4, 2012

Cold on a Cob posted:

like real prog or post-rock shite?

i prefer post-rock shite can't stand legit old school prog like king crimson, etc :shobon:

post-rock is great. GY!BE to stuff like ISIS is all drat good, I used to not like rock without the vocals but now I think I prefer the instrumental stuff

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Hashtag Nascar posted:

post-rock is great. GY!BE to stuff like ISIS is all drat good, I used to not like rock without the vocals but now I think I prefer the instrumental stuff

ya also mogwai, speaking of which

current post-rock status:

that's a little... too yospos as gently caress :tinfoil:

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
i'm previewing that album now, it's ok but i kinda liked 'les revenants' better even though it's a soundtrack about loving zombies or something and not a proper album

sports
Sep 1, 2012
prog is the libertarianism of music

Hashtag Nascar
Jan 4, 2012

Cold on a Cob posted:

ya also mogwai, speaking of which

current post-rock status:

that's a little... too yospos as gently caress :tinfoil:

mogwai own, if you like them check out explosions in the sky

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug

Jonny 290 posted:

using equipment limitations to spur creativity is fine. cargoculting those limitations as though they were themselves responsible for the creative output is misguided.

ya i gotta admit the biggest benefit is being able to just jam with other musicians, not so much creating stuff on your own

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug
i just heard us sensation macklemore and lmao dudes flow is like frozen molasses

is it one of those thing where a certain crowd likes a certain rapper because he doesnt have a certain skin color?

Hashtag Nascar
Jan 4, 2012

newreply.php posted:

i just heard us sensation macklemore and lmao dudes flow is like frozen molasses

is it one of those thing where a certain crowd likes a certain rapper because he doesnt have a certain skin color?

yeah pretty much, also it's a funy song

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Macklemore seems like a genuinely cool dude :shobon:

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Macklemore seems genuine as gently caress.

anyway here is something cool: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlAS68SGFcA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug
i dont know the guy and im sure hes a cool dude but if u cant rap you shouldnt rap imo, poo poo sounds like rear end

• Locked thread