Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

EX250 Type R posted:

I had to put a pet down a few years back and it was pretty cheap. With the cost of ammo these days though I can see how it would be so expensive.

The euthanasia wasn't expensive, the treatment trying to save her was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
hug, dude, hug.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

Seriously? That's kind of crappy dude, I had to put a family pet down. After trying to save her it was a really large bill. That's not cool man.

I'm sorry dude, the way you said why you were low on funds was kinda funny.

Goondolences on losing a pet though, I know that sucks.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
I will say $7500 is a pretty good deal for a Connie and it will probably be worth something close to that for quite a while. If your VFR did in fact blow up it will probably make more sense to just part it out.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

n8r posted:

I will say $7500 is a pretty good deal for a Connie and it will probably be worth something close to that for quite a while. If your VFR did in fact blow up it will probably make more sense to just part it out.

Yeah, this had totally crossed my mind. I don't part bikes out very often, but it may be worth more to just do that anyways.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

My Great Grandpa passed away when I was 17. He was so awesome and also a WW2 vet. I actually got to meet all of my great grandparents. One of the benefits of going on this trip is I'll be able to see my great grandmother and it will probably be the last time. She's almost 90 and has started falling and having small strokes.

Anyone know how insurance would work with the bike in his name? He seems to think as long as he keeps it fully insured it would be fine. It will keep a GA tag etc. until I pay it off. I don't want to risk getting cut off totaling the bike or something and not being fully covered.

I don't think insurance cares who's name it's in, as long as the bill is paid. It's just nicer to have your name on the registration for when you get pulled over.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

SaNChEzZ posted:

I don't think insurance cares who's name it's in, as long as the bill is paid. It's just nicer to have your name on the registration for when you get pulled over.

He's going to want to tell the insurance co that it's being garaged in a new place (especially if it's states away) and that you will also be operating the vehicle. Expect a minor price bump. "The bike hit a deer and needs fix, also it's halfway across the country and I wasn't riding it" scenarios might get unnecessarily complicated otherwise.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Snowdens Secret posted:

He's going to want to tell the insurance co that it's being garaged in a new place (especially if it's states away) and that you will also be operating the vehicle. Expect a minor price bump. "The bike hit a deer and needs fix, also it's halfway across the country and I wasn't riding it" scenarios might get unnecessarily complicated otherwise.

He doesn't seem to think that's an issue and he's pretty stubborn. Would there be an issue if I just bought insurance for the bike in my name? Would they still pay if I don't own the bike?

In other news the VFR is toast, engine is locked up. Looks like the cam chain came off completely and is now wrapped around the crank. So if anyone needs 6th gen VFR parts I'm selling. I'll put it up in the marketplace thread in a bit.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

He doesn't seem to think that's an issue and he's pretty stubborn. Would there be an issue if I just bought insurance for the bike in my name? Would they still pay if I don't own the bike?

In other news the VFR is toast, engine is locked up. Looks like the cam chain came off completely and is now wrapped around the crank. So if anyone needs 6th gen VFR parts I'm selling. I'll put it up in the marketplace thread in a bit.

Probably from flogging it so hard with those 1/2" chicken strips and 19mpg

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

EX250 Type R posted:

Probably from flogging it so hard with those 1/2" chicken strips and 19mpg

Don't you have some antifreeze to drink or something?

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie

As a rule you can insure pretty much anything you want. You don't have to own it, rent it, or have any significant claim to it at all. If you spend a lot of time as a passenger in a vehicle and want your own policy for additional medical coverage you can do it. Call an agent of your current company, explain the situation, and safely expect several policy options.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Halo_4am posted:

As a rule you can insure pretty much anything you want. You don't have to own it, rent it, or have any significant claim to it at all. If you spend a lot of time as a passenger in a vehicle and want your own policy for additional medical coverage you can do it. Call an agent of your current company, explain the situation, and safely expect several policy options.

Ok, I'll do that. I just don't want someone to pull out in front of me or sideswipe and get stuck holding the bill.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
You probably legally half to re-title and register it in Cali anyway, and the DMV tends to get pissy if it's not insured in the state it's registered in. It's up to you whether you actually do that. I suspect Cali probably will start charging property tax at that point as well but you should be familiar with that if the case.

wr0x2
Sep 9, 2007
So I stopped riding for a while and my last bike was a '95 CBR1000F Hurricane. The bike was heavy, weighing well over 500 lbs dry and wasn't especially nimble or easy to ride at very low speeds. Now I'm thinking about a street bike again and am leaning towards an 04+ R1. How easy will this R1 be to throw around at low speeds compared to my Hurricane as well as, say, a Ninja 250? Subjective descriptions of how much faster the new bike will be than my Hurricane are also welcome. Finally, I do carry pillions sometimes and I realize the R1 won't be as good at that as my Hurricane, but will it do better than the 250?

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

You can always sell the bike later for almost no hit, so really you have to ask yourself if the time and money lost through the buying and potentially selling of the motorcycle outweighs the benefit of the trip with your grandfather. And having just lost my grandfather who was loving badass and I miss a lot, I will say that if you truly do enjoy his company, do everything you can to make things like this happen. You can't get back time you didn't spend with him-- but you can always get more money. That's just my two cents though.

Plus a Connie is loving cool and you may end up liking it a ton. :)

HAMAS HATE BOAT
Jun 5, 2010
When I asked my insurance company about how coverage would work if I was riding my friend's bike (who's losing his license to a DUI so he couldn't ride it for a few months) I'm pretty sure they said they wouldn't be able to insure it if he still owned it, or to be more specific, if I had no "ownership interest" in it. They said his policy should cover it for a while if they don't cancel on him when they find out about the arrest. It may vary by state or company though. But this was from State Farm who have been far beyond awesome for me.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Snowdens Secret posted:

You probably legally half to re-title and register it in Cali anyway, and the DMV tends to get pissy if it's not insured in the state it's registered in. It's up to you whether you actually do that. I suspect Cali probably will start charging property tax at that point as well but you should be familiar with that if the case.

I won't actually own the bike until it's paid off. It will have a GA tag and still be "his" bike. His bank won't allow it to be registered out of state while they hold the title. So until it's fully paid I don't have much say.

Xovaan posted:

You can always sell the bike later for almost no hit, so really you have to ask yourself if the time and money lost through the buying and potentially selling of the motorcycle outweighs the benefit of the trip with your grandfather. And having just lost my grandfather who was loving badass and I miss a lot, I will say that if you truly do enjoy his company, do everything you can to make things like this happen. You can't get back time you didn't spend with him-- but you can always get more money. That's just my two cents though.

Plus a Connie is loving cool and you may end up liking it a ton. :)

It's definitely happening, no question about that. I do love spending time with him, he taught me engines and I grew up spending every weekend with him either hunting/camping or racing either cars or bikes. I have talked to him almost every day for 5 years.

HAMAS HATE BOAT posted:

When I asked my insurance company about how coverage would work if I was riding my friend's bike (who's losing his license to a DUI so he couldn't ride it for a few months) I'm pretty sure they said they wouldn't be able to insure it if he still owned it, or to be more specific, if I had no "ownership interest" in it. They said his policy should cover it for a while if they don't cancel on him when they find out about the arrest. It may vary by state or company though. But this was from State Farm who have been far beyond awesome for me.

He'll absolutely have full insurance coverage on it. I just don't know if it will cover me in Cali after the trip. There's also that whole pesky "proof of insurance" thing to worry about. It'll cost me $300 a year for collision with a $1,000 deductible and $15,000 person/$30,000 accident/$5,000 property damage with nothing else.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

You should carry 50/100/50 or 100/300/100, just a word of advice. If you hit someone carrying a 5k policy, be prepared to kiss some other things goodbye as you get sued for the rest of the damages.

(I know because the woman that hit me was carrying 5k and paid a lot more than that out of pocket)

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

SaNChEzZ posted:

You should carry 50/100/50 or 100/300/100, just a word of advice. If you hit someone carrying a 5k policy, be prepared to kiss some other things goodbye as you get sued for the rest of the damages.

(I know because the woman that hit me was carrying 5k and paid a lot more than that out of pocket)

That's good to know, it's only like $37 more for 250/500/100 so I'll definitely go for it. I've never had to make an insurance claim so I've got no clue. I ride a fairly aggressive/defensive style and do my best to just not get into risky situations at all.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

My SV650 is shortly going on the market and I'll be looking for a proper sportsbike to replace it. I've mostly been looking at relatively recent super sports but then this came up not too long ago:
http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/motorbikes/sports/auction-582826848.htm

The fastest bike I've owned and ridden long-term was a hornet 919, so I have a few questions about this:

1. What could I expect out of this by comparison, power-wise? Would it feel slightly faster but much more peaky, or just much faster in general? And how 'nimble' would it be?

2. All the big sportsbikes I've ridden have been post 2000 or thereabouts, how much worse/different is a dinosaur like this? Both to live with/repair and to actually ride.

3. The guy mentions it has a 96 engine and something about different internals; is the 96 engine much different? Does it seem like he's full of poo poo?

4. The suspension being 'worked' (whatever the gently caress that's meant to mean). I'm imagining that, best case scenario, this basically means it handles like it did from the factory. Which returns me to my earlier question: will this handle like I expect a bike with USD forks of that sort of weight to handle, or will it be absolutely poo poo compared to what I'm used to because of outdated chassis technology and so on?

Basically, I've never ridden a full-size sportsbike of this era, what can I expect? Should I just fork out more cash for an early 00's 600?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
With your attitude on analog fuel atomizers, this surprises me.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

HotCanadianChick posted:

Three words:

Italian. Bike. Reliability.

The older Tuonos have the Rotax v-twin which is pretty much bullet-proof, and as long as you can source parts for them (and Aprilia aren't going to run out any time soon thanks to the stupid deal they had with Rotax, and Rotax themselves are still making the engine for that trike that everyone hates) it'll be fine.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

So I am thinking of selling off my GS650 cheaply to a friend of mine and getting a newer motorcycle.
I am thinking going full stupid and geting a liter SM because WHY THE gently caress NOT, well as long as the ride is comfortable. Anyways the candidates are:

1) KTM 990 SMT - These bikes are rare as gently caress in the Northeast and I haven't even found a used one. :(
2) Ducati Hypermotard 1100S - There are a few used ones in the market and the local Ducati guy told me they are good bikes with a poo poo ton of torque and expensive to maintain since you need to take them to a delership to get them serviced.

Any other insane SM suggestions?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

ElMaligno posted:

Any other insane SM suggestions?

Buell Ulysses - Common enough to find, cheap (I see low-mile pre-08s going for under $5000), easy easy easy maintenance, loves to power wheelie, handles like its on rails, comfortable, factory luggage, made in 'murica. It is seriously easy to own and a laugh riot to ride.

About the maintenance:

One throttle body - no vacuum syncing anything ever. Hydraulic lifters - no valve clearance checks and adjustments. Zero-maintenance belt - ride it till it breaks, same cost as a chain, you don't have to buy sprockets, and you can change it on the side of the road. You can get new cylinders and pistons for under $1000 and swap them out in a weekend while shotgunning Milwaukee's Best tall boys.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Don't forget the endless TPS adjustments. :v:

What do you want the SM for, really? Because if you're not gravel blasting, then Superduke or Tuono is another option. Or just buy one of the new V4 Tuonos and wheelie forever into the sunset.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Z3n posted:

Don't forget the endless TPS adjustments. :v:

What do you want the SM for, really? Because if you're not gravel blasting, then Superduke or Tuono is another option. Or just buy one of the new V4 Tuonos and wheelie forever into the sunset.

This is a problem with owners, not the bikes. Similar to CA where every problem can be fixed by pulling the carbs and cleaning the main jets.

You raise a good question - those aren't really "supermotard" supermotards. More like giant, stupid gigamotard touring bikes, which is why I suggested the Uly.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Apr 15, 2013

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

clutchpuck posted:

Buell Ulysses - Common enough to find, cheap (I see low-mile pre-08s going for under $5000), easy easy easy maintenance, loves to power wheelie, handles like its on rails, comfortable, factory luggage, made in 'murica. It is seriously easy to own and a laugh riot to ride.

About the maintenance:

One throttle body - no vacuum syncing anything ever. Hydraulic lifters - no valve clearance checks and adjustments. Zero-maintenance belt - ride it till it breaks, same cost as a chain, you don't have to buy sprockets, and you can change it on the side of the road. You can get new cylinders and pistons for under $1000 and swap them out in a weekend while shotgunning Milwaukee's Best tall boys.

Or the XB12STT, of course. Way less practical than a Ulysses (can't even carry a passenger) but it was sold as a supermoto-ish bike. I kinda do wish they'd made a Blast SM though.

As for TPS resets, yesterday I tried it for the heck of it, bike was already running fine of course. I messed it up by following the maintenance manual to the letter: turned back the idle wheel until the voltage didn't decrease anymore and flicked the throttle a couple of times. Thing is, even after the voltage doesn't change anymore it's still got a little bit to go, the golden tip was a forum post to turn until one feels the throttle plate sticking. Anyway, I set it too lean which lead to some sweet rear end booms from the exhaust when taking roundabouts. Fixed it and maybe, just maybe, it runs slightly smoother at low rpms, but I doubt it.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

High Protein posted:

As for TPS resets, yesterday I tried it for the heck of it, bike was already running fine of course. I messed it up by following the maintenance manual to the letter

"For the heck of it" was your first mistake. My friend does that to his Uly all the time and then constantly frets about it when he isn't resetting it. I want to take away his ECM cable.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

clutchpuck posted:

"For the heck of it" was your first mistake. My friend does that to his Uly all the time and then constantly frets about it when he isn't resetting it. I want to take away his ECM cable.

Haha, or I guess he should get one of the 2008+ ones. I'm sort-of looking to upgrade to a 2009/2010 model as I'd like the updated engine and ZTL2 but I don't believe the Ulysses ever came with that. 08+ SS-es have the STT suspension for some reason though and I'm not sure if I'll like the higher stance. Also have to get one someone ripped the cat-equipped, narrower Euro headers off.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I am pretty sure the 8-piston 1125 brake is a simple bolt-in swap and it works with whatever rotor you already have. Can't say I've ever found myself wanting more stopping on the 6-piston brake though. The new EBR ZTL rotors with the slots are kind of exciting though, they look sweet; I think I am going to get a new one next time I swap pads.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

clutchpuck posted:

I am pretty sure the 8-piston 1125 brake is a simple bolt-in swap and it works with whatever rotor you already have. Can't say I've ever found myself wanting more stopping on the 6-piston brake though. The new EBR ZTL rotors with the slots are kind of exciting though, they look sweet; I think I am going to get a new one next time I swap pads.

Yeah they bolt on (with a new MC and line) but they've gotten quite rare.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

clutchpuck posted:

Buell Ulysses

Not a whole lot of Ulysses on the market right now either :(

Z3n posted:

What do you want the SM for, really?

Because I want a bike thats part fun, part commuter and part tourer. Which is why I would LOVE to have a KTM 990 SMT as it my dream bike. If not a Bandit 1200 would be the best candidate as well. But I am in no hurry, at earliest I would be selling off my bike at around the end of the month or at the latest the middle of august. I will only jump on a bike if I find a really good offer.

Some stuff I have found so far:
09 Aprilia R1000 Tuono, 09 KTM 690 Duke, 07 ktm 990 super duke

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

clutchpuck posted:

With your attitude on analog fuel atomizers, this surprises me.

I'd rather a good bike with carbs than a poo poo one with efi, it's just one factor among many. I just don't know if it's a good bike or not.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Only in CA would people cross shop SMTs and Bandit 1200s. :v:

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

ElMaligno posted:

Because I want a bike thats part fun, part commuter and part tourer.

Having never ridden any of the bikes you just mentioned, I'll just ask what does CA think of throwing a DL1000 in ElMaligno's hat?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

ElMaligno posted:

You don't have to find a lot, you just have to find the right one. That's how I got my Husky.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

epalm posted:

Having never ridden any of the bikes you just mentioned, I'll just ask what does CA think of throwing a DL1000 in ElMaligno's hat?

It's a pretty milquetoasty ride, relative to a 990 SMT or an 1100 Multistrada. I rode an older Strom 1000 and it seemed pretty fun in a this-is-an-appliance sort of way. But throw that in a long-term comparison with a 990, Multi, or Ulysses and it'll probably be the most problem-free. If you bred one of those megamotards and a Bandit 1200, you'd end up with a bouncing baby Strom.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

ElMaligno posted:

Because I want a bike thats part fun, part commuter and part tourer. Which is why I would LOVE to have a KTM 990 SMT as it my dream bike. If not a Bandit 1200 would be the best candidate as well. But I am in no hurry, at earliest I would be selling off my bike at around the end of the month or at the latest the middle of august. I will only jump on a bike if I find a really good offer.

Some stuff I have found so far:
09 Aprilia R1000 Tuono, 09 KTM 690 Duke, 07 ktm 990 super duke

Have a look at a Ducati Multistrada 1000/1100 as well. You can get them well used and cheap all the way to ohlins-and- termis garage queens at 2x+ the price of an ordinary one. They're mostly all less than an SMT (which I was looking at as well, but they're still too much money), and the best part is you don't have to look at the front of it when you're riding it. And even that grows on you after a while.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Linedance posted:

Have a look at a Ducati Multistrada 1000/1100 as well. You can get them well used and cheap all the way to ohlins-and- termis garage queens at 2x+ the price of an ordinary one. They're mostly all less than an SMT (which I was looking at as well, but they're still too much money), and the best part is you don't have to look at the front of it when you're riding it. And even that grows on you after a while.

And boy are you right about mental Ducati owners, a 2010 mostly stock one being sold for an insane amount OR a 2009 with some aftermarket parts and being sold at a decent price in a dealership of all places.
Its so ugly its right up my alley, too bad its white :v:

Still that delarship has pretty decent variety of the bikes I want so I will probably swing by and have a look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
You linked two different generations of bikes and the 2010 is an S model which has an MSRP of 20k.