Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

SKULE123 posted:

I was going to see a TV taping of Sullivan & Son with Steve Byrne while in LA because I've never seen a tv taping before, but it just got called off because a cabbie broke Steve Byrne's jaw. :/

You lucked out unless you wanted to watch a bad sitcom for 5 hours instead of 22 minutes. That's pretty loving crazy about the cabbie story though. I obviously don't know anything about the situation or Steve personally, but I feel like you have to be a pretty huge dick to get a cabbie to punch you in the face. Especially if this was in NYC.

http://www.laughspin.com/2013/04/03/report-comedian-steve-byrne-sustains-broken-jaw-sullivan-son-production-halted-for-six-weeks/

Also, a moratorium of the term "anti-comedy" would be great. Just because you don't think Andy Kaufman, Tim & Eric, Monty Python, Kristen/Kurt, or Chris Elliott doing a 30 minute Showtime special about FDR's life isn't funny doesn't mean it's anti-comedy. Anti-pasta, maybe.

It's a different kind of comedy. It's not antithetical to comedy. It's still trying to make people laugh. I don't like Jeff Dunham's style of comedy but it's still comedy. Bad comedy is comedy. Good comedy is comedy. Comedy you like, dislike, detest, love so much you tell all your friends, is comedy.

WerthersWay fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Apr 3, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

Also, a moratorium of the term "anti-comedy" would be great. Just because you don't think Andy Kaufman, Tim & Eric, Monty Python, Kristen/Kurt, or Chris Elliott doing a 30 minute Showtime special about FDR's life isn't funny doesn't mean it's anti-comedy. Anti-pasta, maybe.

It's a different kind of comedy. It's not antithetical to comedy. It's still trying to make people laugh. I don't like Jeff Dunham's style of comedy but it's still comedy. Bad comedy is comedy. Good comedy is comedy. Comedy you like, dislike, detest, love so much you tell all your friends, is comedy.

You're really trying to assert that Andy Kaufman wasn't all about anti-humor? :psyduck: Tony Clifton? Reading The Great Gatsby onstage? His Fridays appearance?

It's not a derisive phrase, everybody knows that it's just a name for a somewhat niche style of comedy and says nothing about whether it's good or bad. It certainly isn't implying that it isn't comedy. You're taking the phrase way too literally.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Apr 3, 2013

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

You lucked out unless you wanted to watch a bad sitcom for 5 hours instead of 22 minutes.

You're probably right - will settle for the WB studio tour for that sort of thing.

Excited to see UCB, the Laugh Factory, and many other podcast-discussed places during my first trip to your fair city.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

You lucked out unless you wanted to watch a bad sitcom for 5 hours instead of 22 minutes. That's pretty loving crazy about the cabbie story though. I obviously don't know anything about the situation or Steve personally, but I feel like you have to be a pretty huge dick to get a cabbie to punch you in the face. Especially if this was in NYC.

http://www.laughspin.com/2013/04/03/report-comedian-steve-byrne-sustains-broken-jaw-sullivan-son-production-halted-for-six-weeks/

"Anti-humor" is a subsection of comedy. Neil Hamburger is one of the people who pull it off amazingly. It's not being used as a term "unfunny".

I'm just saying it was the abrupt change in the middle of the show really threw it off. I've seen her do anti-humor well, but it was isolated sketches. It didn't come after 30 minutes of outright hilarity. In fact, if I wasn't able to use the term "anti-humor", I wouldn't have been able to articulate my feelings on the show well enough. She switched styles in the middle of the show. It was abrupt. It didn't work. Especially if you've seen her 2009 special half-hour special where she re-used the "animal needed for the act decided to leave without telling her, and left a note" bit.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

escape artist posted:

I think Tosh is actually incredibly talented and original. Nothing like Dane Cook at all.

I mean, I can understand why you wouldn't like him, but that's unfair. Dane Cook is a joke, and a joke thief.

Dane's still funny, ive seen him do a couple unscheduled drop ins at the hollywood improv and he's been doing hilarious, honest stuff.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
No talk about Louie's new special? I think it might be my favorite thing he has ever released. It was wall to wall brilliant. A great follow up to the disappointing Beacon release last year.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

escape artist posted:

No talk about Louie's new special? I think it might be my favorite thing he has ever released. It was wall to wall brilliant. A great follow up to the disappointing Beacon release last year.

I liked Live at the Beacon better, but this one was obviously brilliant. The whole traffic bit was amazing, I was crying.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
I saw it live in Stockholm a couple of weeks ago, it blew my mind. It was also funny watching the special now and seeing the difference in crowd reactions.
The bit about "maaaaaybe you get shot at when you shoot someone first" literally brought a standing ovation and like a solid 30 seconds of thunderous applause live.

He seems to have evolved the set from his time on the road as well, the bit about his jerk of a neighbour ended with him having fun at our expense laughing at something he "obviously made up" and continues the story with the neighbour walking over to him and being the nicest guy ever, welcoming Louie and his kids :3:

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Anybody hear Whiskey Icarus, Kyle Kinane's new-ish record? gently caress, it's so good.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Anybody hear Whiskey Icarus, Kyle Kinane's new-ish record? gently caress, it's so good.

Kyle Kinane loving owns, both of his records are among my favorites.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Patton Oswalt is awesome for hipping me to him. I also genuinely believe he's right behind Louis CK for best comedian alive.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Yeah I saw him open for Oswalt too. I've probably relistened to Death of the Party more than any other comedy album in the past few years. He also did a Whiskey Icarus special for CC a while back if you haven't seen that yet.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

If you're in LA and want to see Patton, he's doing a Tuesday residency through July at the Fake Gallery to prepare for his new hour. He's also doing a bunch of Largo and Irvine Improv shows to get ready as well.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Oh well I was hipped to Kinane through Oswalt's website, not seeing him open for Patton. I live in Northern Canada so the only way I'll ever see Oswalt is in Toronto.

I'm super excited for Oswalt's new hour though, Finest Hour was great.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Apr 16, 2013

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Oh well I was hipped to Kinane through Oswalt's website, not seeing him open for Patton. I live in Northern Canada so the only way I'll ever see Oswalt is in Toronto.

I'm super excited for Oswalt's new hour though, Finest Hour was great.

Please, please, please say you're from Winnipeg, Canada.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
Amidst the Oswalt love, here's more to love him for.

http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watching/on-parks-and-recreation-patton-oswalt-gets-his-star-wars-nerd-on

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
That bit was loving brilliant!!!

"I have no more fluid in my mouth.... I have to pull a Marco Rubio... please cut."

I don't even like Star Wars (I know... a sin... a venial sin), but I absolutely loved that improv.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Politicalrancor posted:

Please, please, please say you're from Winnipeg, Canada.

I am not. Thunder Bay.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Anybody checked out Ari Shaffir's new special? It's on Chill.com for $5.

(Louis C.K. started a revolution!)

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

I am not. Thunder Bay.

Cheddar Bay??

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I wish, I love those biscuits.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I know this isn't the right thread for a podcast question, but I have no idea which of the many podcast threads to ask in.

I only recently discovered Paul F. Tompkins, catching an older half-hour special of his on HBO Go. It was more of an extended monologue or a one-man show than typical stand-up, him at a "bar," mostly talking about drinking. It isn't the usual kind of comedy I seek out, but I enjoyed it enough, and I know he is held in very high esteem by comedy nerds. I know he does a ton of different podcasts, but apparently he does some in character as Ice-T, with the voice and everything? My wife and I ironically love Ice-T on Law and Order: SVU and crack up over John Mulaney's bit about his character, so I'd love to hear Tompkins' Ice-T impression.

And aside from that, what else do I absolutely NEED to listen to or watch?

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pze0JRUbmE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aQz-3pHLH4

That's a taste, there's quite a bit more.

Maarak fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Apr 21, 2013

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I know this isn't the right thread for a podcast question, but I have no idea which of the many podcast threads to ask in.

I only recently discovered Paul F. Tompkins, catching an older half-hour special of his on HBO Go. It was more of an extended monologue or a one-man show than typical stand-up, him at a "bar," mostly talking about drinking. It isn't the usual kind of comedy I seek out, but I enjoyed it enough, and I know he is held in very high esteem by comedy nerds. I know he does a ton of different podcasts, but apparently he does some in character as Ice-T, with the voice and everything? My wife and I ironically love Ice-T on Law and Order: SVU and crack up over John Mulaney's bit about his character, so I'd love to hear Tompkins' Ice-T impression.

And aside from that, what else do I absolutely NEED to listen to or watch?

Listen to at least Impersonal. It's so good.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

I only recently discovered Paul F. Tompkins, catching an older half-hour special of his on HBO Go. It was more of an extended monologue or a one-man show than typical stand-up, him at a "bar," mostly talking about drinking. It isn't the usual kind of comedy I seek out, but I enjoyed it enough, and I know he is held in very high esteem by comedy nerds. I know he does a ton of different podcasts, but apparently he does some in character as Ice-T, with the voice and everything? My wife and I

MY WIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIFE

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Mob posted:

MY WIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIFE

This made me laugh so much.

You guys should check out Ari Shaffir's special on Chill.com called Passive Aggressive. It's over an hour and it's only 5 bucks. Oh yeah, it's great.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Are there any strong opinions on which time to pick if a comedian is doing two shows in one night? I never know if it will make a difference, if the second show is any better or worse for coming right after the early one.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Ror posted:

Are there any strong opinions on which time to pick if a comedian is doing two shows in one night? I never know if it will make a difference, if the second show is any better or worse for coming right after the early one.

It's just a roll of dice, really. I typically go to the earlier show in hopes of the crowd not being too drunk.

Peter North
Apr 23, 2003

Ror posted:

depends on the type of comic you're seeing. If you're seeing someone who attracts a lot of drunks, maybe you want to see the late show, because you will (guaranteed) see hecklers get handled and it's cool to see that moment. Jim Jefferies probably has one of the higher batting averages as far as shows getting interrupted.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Well, it turns out the early shows are sold out on both days, so I guess the question is less relevant for me now. But I've wondered it every time I've bought tickets in the past too.

Patton Oswalt by the way.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Ror posted:

Well, it turns out the early shows are sold out on both days, so I guess the question is less relevant for me now. But I've wondered it every time I've bought tickets in the past too.

When I saw Patton live, I saw the early show (6pm vs 9pm), and it was fantastic. No one was drunk. Everyone was polite. Patton was on top of his game. But I picked the early show because it was a 6 hour drive round-trip to see him.

Also, I'm still heartily recommending Ari Shaffir's new special Passive Aggressive. I was blown away by how good it was.

escape artist fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Apr 23, 2013

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

The first time I saw Louis CK, I was at the early show, and he let it go longer and made the late show people wait outside, because we were the dedicated ones who bought tickets to the first show. (The second show didn't get added til the first one sold out.)

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Apparently Second Show Friday is infamously terrible enough to warrant capitalizing the phrase.

Thursdays are usually seen as low-key and mainly for comedy nerds who are really into who they're seeing.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

Ror posted:

I was in that same situation a few years back and decided on the early show. There were two groups of bachelorettes there, one wasted, so I didn't get to miss out on Patton engaging a bunch of drunks. Also, his set was amazing. First time I heard Moshe Kasher, too, so even more of a treat.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Hey escape artist, did you ever do any open mic nights in Orlando? I just replied to your old post in the Florida thread, before noticing you posted it back in March.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Hey escape artist, did you ever do any open mic nights in Orlando? I just replied to your old post in the Florida thread, before noticing you posted it back in March.

Not yet. I have pendulous swings in confidence and crippling stage fright. But I'm going to force myself up there, and as long as I don't poo poo myself on stage I'll feel accomplished.

I'm still polishing my set list, too. I have all the jokes, but they need to be re-re-edited and then woven together.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

escape artist posted:

Not yet. I have pendulous swings in confidence and crippling stage fright. But I'm going to force myself up there, and as long as I don't poo poo myself on stage I'll feel accomplished.

I'm still polishing my set list, too. I have all the jokes, but they need to be re-re-edited and then woven together.

Bring a big hammer. If you poo poo yourself you can smash it and claim it's a deconstruction of Gallagher or something.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Popelmon posted:

Bring a big hammer. If you poo poo yourself you can smash it and claim it's a deconstruction of Gallagher or something.
That's pretty funny. Would make for a good sketch.

I'll be fine though. I'm going to take some painkillers because A) I don't want to have to walk up there with my cane, and get pity laughs and B) they constipate you, so I won't poo poo myself. I just wrote an entire new (10 minute) set this morning. I was on a roll, for some reason.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

escape artist posted:

Don't worry about polishing them. Just go up and try it, you can polish them if you decide to keep going. Besides, you probably won't be saying any of those jokes a few weeks later anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

caligulamprey posted:

Apparently Second Show Friday is infamously terrible enough to warrant capitalizing the phrase.

Thursdays are usually seen as low-key and mainly for comedy nerds who are really into who they're seeing.

When I saw Louis C.K. it was the second Saturday performance and I thought it was great, although I have nothing to really compare it to (I was in the second balcony and everything was still crystal clear, which was awesome).

Gary Gulman was the opener and did a great job, too.