Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Trizophenie posted:

Thanks to the wonders of modern magic (aka Lunar Magic), this is what happens to Yoshi if you bring him into a Ghost House/Castle, so far I haven't found enemy sprites that get changed though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwlmQaoIFew

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikYn-QXRPXA

You forgot to show what happens when Yoshi and a Podobo are on screen at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

"Whoops we accidently put our enemy into the same address space Yoshi occupies, guess we have to cut him from castles!" sounds a bit stupid, don't you think?

It doesn't have to be like that. It could have been a conscious decision from the start to not include him in Ghost Houses for the purpose of freeing up address space. If you look at some of the detailed docs sheets that Nintendo made, they consciously planned out every graphic down to the page it would appear on.

Things like the coin sprite in Mario 1 also containing the code routine to update your score or the ghost using the same base sprite as the bubble aren't things that just happen. Real limitations in old systems meant you needed to meticulously calculate everything.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Suspicious Dish posted:

It doesn't have to be like that. It could have been a conscious decision from the start to not include him in Ghost Houses for the purpose of freeing up address space. If you look at some of the detailed docs sheets that Nintendo made, they consciously planned out every graphic down to the page it would appear on.

Right, that's what I meant with my first comment, before the part you quoted. The pseudo-quote there was tounge in cheek regarding what other people were posting.

Trizophenie
Mar 2, 2011

Jar Jar Binks improved my story.

Ometeotl posted:

You forgot to show what happens when Yoshi and a Podobo are on screen at the same time.
Well fine. :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBX7mC4702Y

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.
...:stonk:....:magical:

Jesus christ this is gonna turn into The Wall isn't it?

Tendronai
May 7, 2008

My worst nightmare. It's a dream I have. I'm in a square cell, glass walls, just me and a little castle.
You could actually see the Yoshi ghost effect on the sunken ship level at the end of world six, where you get to bring Yoshi through and the entire second part has boos fading in and out. He actually faded out in sync with them, it looked really weird.

Those castle effects though were something you would never see without editing.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
As a kid, I always assumed Yoshi couldn't go into the castles and ghost houses because the developers wanted those levels to be harder. :shrug:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Rocketlex posted:

As a kid, I always assumed Yoshi couldn't go into the castles and ghost houses because the developers wanted those levels to be harder. :shrug:

You were a boring and unimaginative child :colbert:

That's the reason I thought of too :saddowns:

Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Apr 14, 2013

Mr Muggy
Mar 30, 2010

I'm just gonna do this for about two minutes, okay?

I like how the high pitched DUN DUN starts right as Yoshi's head turns into the podoboo.

KevinCow
Oct 24, 2009

asymmetrical posted:

You sure about that? Some of their level designs make me wonder.

Some of the Star Road levels in NSMB U make it very clear to me that Nintendo's level designers have been watching these sadistic romhackers... and learning.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

KevinCow posted:

Some of the Star Road levels in NSMB U make it very clear to me that Nintendo's level designers have been watching these sadistic romhackers... and learning.

You may not be that far off.

Apparently, Nintendo likes to use the New Super Mario series to train their new recruits. New designers tend to start out their career at Nintendo designing levels for New Super Mario Bros. games. Do well enough at that and you might get advanced to more demanding design positions.

It actually makes the New Super Mario Bros. games kinda cute when you view them in that light.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
Whichever guy designed the level for NSMB Wii with the Boner Dragon totally got promoted, right?

Ropnolc
Mar 7, 2013

Suspicious Dish posted:

It doesn't have to be like that. It could have been a conscious decision from the start to not include him in Ghost Houses for the purpose of freeing up address space.

Early in the development of the game there were "no yoshis allowed" signs which would be placed at the beginning of various stages, not just castles or ghost houses.
They would prevent you from either bringing any yoshi along or just a specific color of yoshi.
The restriction was then changed to just castles and ghost houses and the signs were removed entirely because they no longer had any use. A castle/ghost house entrance with this big red sign would look kinda silly.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

You say that as if they weren't already. :colbert:

UmbreonMessiah
Nov 1, 2011

~Hey, I'm grump!~
I'm...yeah, I'm just a grump.
It's kind of hilarious that as a kid I wouldn't have questioned that at all, but as an adult I'd start asking questions like: "Why the hell am I listening to this sign? Who put this sign here? What does Yoshi's world have against him?"

I think at some point I may have lost all the wonder in my life :smith:

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

UmbreonMessiah posted:

It's kind of hilarious that as a kid I wouldn't have questioned that at all, but as an adult I'd start asking questions like: "Why the hell am I listening to this sign? Who put this sign here? What does Yoshi's world have against him?"

If it helps, at least adult you is wondering about the sign.

kvltmanifesto
Oct 10, 2012

Yoshis need not apply

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Ropnolc posted:

Early in the development of the game there were "no yoshis allowed" signs which would be placed at the beginning of various stages, not just castles or ghost houses.
They would prevent you from either bringing any yoshi along or just a specific color of yoshi.
The restriction was then changed to just castles and ghost houses and the signs were removed entirely because they no longer had any use. A castle/ghost house entrance with this big red sign would look kinda silly.

That's a lunar magic creation, not a built-in, I thought.

Spinning Robo
Apr 17, 2007

ikanreed posted:

That's a lunar magic creation, not a built-in, I thought.

You can find it in the normal game if you screw around with gamegenie codes and enter spaces with no level id. it sends you to a test level that has one.

KevinCow
Oct 24, 2009

UmbreonMessiah posted:

Haven't you played the DKC games? If Yoshi crosses that threshold, he'll explode and turn into an item! That would be awful.

...Unless it's a particularly useful item. Hmm.

Diabetus
Jul 5, 2004

:mario: Part XVII - Supermassive Galaxy / Sweet Mystery Galaxy / Flipsville Galaxy :mario:

Baldurdash / YouTube
(guests: thevoiceofdog & TurboC)

:toot: Soundtrack :toot:
- Supermassive Galaxy theme
- Sweet Mystery Galaxy theme
- Flipsville Galaxy theme

ArgonMatrix
Jun 11, 2012

The Nonagram loves you, truly.
Doing Sweet Mystery without Yoshi, eh? Well, I'm afraid that's quite impossible, Mr. Betus. I can't even seem to cross the first gap without that forsaken dinosaur. I could theoretically do the galaxy without using the Bulb Berry, but that'd hardly be impressive to anyone who's seen my other challenges, I imagine.

I do have a few things in mind for some of the other galaxies in World 4, though, so there's that.

Aeros Wilhelm
Sep 2, 2011

ArgonMatrix the thread had such high hopes for you. :negative:

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug
The coins were massive originally, but the MassiveCoin (tm) bubble burst and they shrank accordingly. I'm holding onto my MassiveCoins though - I'm a true believer and we need to end the Mushroom Kindgom's fiat currency that lets them just mint them any time there's a deficit. Maybe if we cut government spending (do the people really need another bonus area, Peach?) we wouldn't need to rely on question blocks that people - who don't work hard for society - are able to just jump into. Freakin' social parasites. Why don't you learn how to throw hammers like the rest of us?

edit: Also society is not ready for electric karts.

Dectilon
Aug 15, 2008

Remember that thou wast a servant in the land of LP, and that the Lord thy Master brought thee out thence through mighty balls and a stretched out dive.
Dectilon 5:15
Yoshi really is an allegory for the state devouring the everyman with its taxes and regulations.

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

Big Trouble in Wiggler China

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

slowbeef posted:

The coins were massive originally, but the MassiveCoin (tm) bubble burst and they shrank accordingly. I'm holding onto my MassiveCoins though - I'm a true believer and we need to end the Mushroom Kindgom's fiat currency that lets them just mint them any time there's a deficit. Maybe if we cut government spending (do the people really need another bonus area, Peach?) we wouldn't need to rely on question blocks that people - who don't work hard for society - are able to just jump into. Freakin' social parasites. Why don't you learn how to throw hammers like the rest of us?

edit: Also society is not ready for electric karts.

But why invest in coins when star bits have real, intrinsic value? The economy was much more stable when the value of a gold coin was tied to its worth in star bits, and the market for them just keeps going up!

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Also, there was a single massive coin right at the beginning of the level. You needed to walljump up it, it was rad.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Supermassive Galaxy is also the level where lives become meaningless.

KevinCow
Oct 24, 2009
If Diabetus runs out of face puns to start videos with, is he just gonna have to do the rest of the game in one really long video?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Zuzie posted:

Supermassive Galaxy is also the level where lives become meaningless.

Oh yeah! Diabeetus, will you show this off?

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

KevinCow posted:

If Diabetus runs out of face puns to start videos with, is he just gonna have to do the rest of the game in one really long video?
Dude came up with a Clinton joke for Xenogears. He's not going to run out.

KevinCow
Oct 24, 2009

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Dude came up with a Clinton joke for Xenogears. He's not going to run out.

If that's the case, then I hope there's a bonus video at the end that consists entirely of betus telling beef all the puns he didn't get to use.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

KevinCow posted:

If that's the case, then I hope there's a bonus video at the end that consists entirely of betus telling beef all the puns he didn't get to use.

It will be over an hour, get some popcorn. You act like there's a finite supply in effect here.

SnakemanMn
Apr 1, 2013

"What is green, slimy, and smells like bacon?"

KevinCow posted:

Something tells me he'll never need to face that fact. That is a bottomless well you're trying to put into perspective.

...I'm sorry.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.
Wow that was the best intro yet, and for the second best galaxy yet! Also Supermassive Galaxy shows how the goombas are total chumps forever. :colbert:

I also REALLY love Flipsville Galaxy for some reason, I was seriously into this one for the adorable suburban house design :3:

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.
I'm not sure I understood that last galaxy. Do platforms exist when Yoshi isn't illuminating them?

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

ThatPazuzu posted:

I'm not sure I understood that last galaxy. Do platforms exist when Yoshi isn't illuminating them?

It's the same as that earlier Ghost House galaxy. The invisible platforms do not exist unless Yoshi has eaten a Bulb Berry. If you let the Bulb Berry's effect expire and you're standing on one of the invisible platforms, you'll just fall to your doom the moment it runs out.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

ThatPazuzu posted:

Nope! If it's invisible without the Bulb Berry, it's intangible without the Bulb Berry!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UmbreonMessiah
Nov 1, 2011

~Hey, I'm grump!~
I'm...yeah, I'm just a grump.
Am I the only one sad that Diabetus didn't come up with a new way to replace "Space" with "Face" this time? :(

Sweet Mystery Galaxy actually made me hungry. I think there's something to be said about a Mario game making me hungry, but I can't put my finger on it...

• Locked thread