Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gunstarheroes
Mar 11, 2013

Random Stranger posted:

I'm pleased that people acknowledge the greatness of train games. For that, we shall continue working on episodes.

Captain Tsubasa really will be the worst challenge for us. It's got big knocks against it at every step (a two parter, a licensed game, you need to have the interface translated to understand what Arino is doing).

I was really pleased to see SOS get a lot of love, and the same goes for Clock Tower. Also, Go By Train had about 20 votes separating it and Battletoads. It was a landslide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Mido
Feb 22, 2011

Ineffiable posted:

Mizzurna Falls would make for a good episode. If I remember right it's by Human, who did the Clock Tower series.

If it means that Arino will recall that Human made Fire Pro Wrestling again then I'm all for this.

gunstarheroes posted:

Banjo-Kazooie

Good god that would be an unbearable challenge to watch. You need a minimum of 94 out of 100 jiggies and an absurd number of musical notes to beat the game. If people didn't like the Mario 64 episodes, then Banjo-Kazooie would twice as bad. Though I would be interested to see how they translated the jokes and Brentilda's trivia in the Japanese version.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
Along the same lines, Blast Corps would be brutal as hell. The 3 people that voted for it are scary people.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Silentman0 posted:

Along the same lines, Blast Corps would be brutal as hell. The 3 people that voted for it are scary people.

Backlash.

Diamond Sands.

:getin:

It'd be the second best episode ever.

gunstarheroes
Mar 11, 2013
Also, i'm under the assumption the reason Doom got so many votes was because of the tease of it in the USA special, then the system not working.

StarTropics, i have no idea. Sadly, no Japanese release. StarTropics and Doom both had 10 unique requests.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

Ineffiable posted:

I think Umihara Kawase has to be so high because it's the first appearance of Inoko Max, and he certainly steals the show in that episode.

That's why I voted after all.

It was a good survey though. I liked seeing the results after following GCCX for so long here.

Agreed, Inoko MAX was great in that ep.

I have to say though, I actually played Layla after watching the episode. It wasn't the best episode but it was one of the few times I went to go play a game right after watching Arino play it!

And yeah that's partly why I voted for Doom but I would have voted for it just the same if he had never tried it ever. He hasn't played anything of that genre yet (nor would I expect him to ever again) so I want to see how he fares with a simple FPS.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I just wanna see Arino play more big, popular western games that don't really have much of a presence in Japan, and Doom is probably the most obvious example of such a game, along with stuff like Mortal Kombat or Ecco or whatever.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

It is imperative that Arino closes out his Ghouls 'n' Ghosts challenges by playing Demon's Crest. I'm shocked more people didn't vote for it, quite frankly.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
And here I thought writing in StarTropics would have made me unusual.

I want Arino to play that game for many reasons. It's an action game but has RPG and Puzzle elements so I think he would probably like it, for one thing. It's got a sense of humor (although that might be difficult with the language barrier). It's a fairly underrated / forgotten game and I think that is largely due to the fact that Japan did not get the game at the time, so maybe Arino playing it would help bring it to light as a good game to Japanese gamers.

And most of all, I want to hear Arino saying Papa Oom Mow Mow.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
I was a big fan of the Super Mario 64 challenge. I never felt like it was just a bunch of disconnected scenes and watching him learn the game just felt really good. I like SM64 a lot so I may be biased, but Link to the Past is possibly my favorite game and I hated that episode.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Am I the only one who thought the Parappa The Rapper episode was boring?

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Mister Chief posted:

Am I the only one who thought the Parappa The Rapper episode was boring?

Nah, I didn't like it that much and sorta cringed when Arino started rapping. It would probably be more fun if you'd never seen the game before, though, since half the enjoyment is the songs themselves.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

I never got past the second song so I had no idea that one of the songs was a prequel to Don't poo poo Your Pants.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

Caitlin posted:

The Mario episodes are completely butchered because the games are so long. It's a highlight reel of painful gameplay - for Super Mario World I mean - he didn't even use the spin attack for the most part? What? Nobody even thought to mention it? Making him grind out 1ups in a stupidly hard fashion? And SM64 DRAGGED. Truly a highlight reel. They absolutely deserve to be up there with the LoZ episodes.

The full use of the spin attack isn't mentioned in game, so there's not really a reason why he'd figure it out.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
I could've sworn one of the opening levels tells you about the spin attack right before seeing some yellow blocks over a pipe.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

Mister Chief posted:

I never got past the second song so I had no idea that one of the songs was a prequel to Don't poo poo Your Pants.

That's what I voted as the worst. Couldn't make it through the whole episode. Every time singing comes up it's never good...

gunstarheroes
Mar 11, 2013

ACID POLICE posted:

That's what I voted as the worst. Couldn't make it through the whole episode. Every time singing comes up it's never good...

Parappa, since its being talked about, did have a few least favorite votes as well. However, most everyone did in the top 10....

Except Go By Train. Even Battletoads has votes against it, but people just can't hate on Train Simulators (or they know Random Stranger is watching).

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

ACID POLICE posted:

Every time singing comes up it's never good...

Go watch the Takeshi's Challenge two-hour special. :colbert:

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

versus posted:

I nearly fell asleep watching the first half of Go By Train! and hated it, but then I watched the second half the next day and that was just :allears:.

Quiz game episodes are always good.

How could you hate an episode that spawned the most amazing video ever
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXguekkfHqc

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
just watched the Shiren part 2 bits, and now I want those Meldac gameboy games

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

El Mido posted:

Good god that would be an unbearable challenge to watch. You need a minimum of 94 out of 100 jiggies and an absurd number of musical notes to beat the game. If people didn't like the Mario 64 episodes, then Banjo-Kazooie would twice as bad.

Ah, but imagine Arino playing Banjo Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts! Id love to see the creations he could come up with, as well as the inevitable dick-plane.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

A bit surprised not to see Shadowlands in the top 10, certainly one of my absolute favourites. Also partially because of a memorable Inoko MAX moment :)

One of the reasons why I don't care for the Mario 64 episode is because Arino clearly knows what to do, and rather transparently acts out surprising discoveries. Like seeing the invisible level through the mirror. I am OK with some parts of the show being a bit fake by necessity, but that whole challenge felt out of place.

Cybernetic Vermin fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Apr 16, 2013

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
So what about the results for staff and segments?

SupaPhly
Nov 14, 2012
just noticed we're close to all episodes subbed
then we probably won't have to wait long for subs when the new eps get aired

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

gunstarheroes
Mar 11, 2013
Alright, time for the top 5 favorite and least favorite segments:

Favorite
5. Waste Of Color
4. Aces Of Hardware
3. Ring-Ring Tactics (Season 3 Edition)
2. To Catch A Catch Copy

And, not surprisingly...
1. Tama-Ge

Least Favorite
5. Shocking Videos MAX
4. (Tie): Xevious Diary and Urawaza Jet Stream
3. Barcode Battler
2. Game Collection

And, actually the only time I've been shocked...
1. Everything I Learned From Strategy Guides

Fun Facts:
-To Catch A Catch Copy and Tama-Ge had around 65% of all votes. Those 2 were way ahead of Ring-Ring
-To Catch A Catch Copy had no votes for Least Favorite, the only segment to have that honor
-10 People voted Famicom Living Natural Treasures in, and it hasn't even been in a subbed episode yet. That can't be a good sign.
- Sing About Whatever, Retro Read-Aloud, Romance Never Ends, and Famicom Manga Cafe were all one vote out of being in the top 5 least favorite.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Tama-Ge is such a big feature and consistent feature that I would consider it to be on equal footing as Arino's Challenge in this sort of poll and not a viable option for voting. It's not on the same kind of level as Catch Copy or Ring Ring for sure.

Catch Copy is the real champion for me in that one.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Aurain posted:

Tama-Ge is such a big feature and consistent feature that I would consider it to be on equal footing as Arino's Challenge in this sort of poll and not a viable option for voting. It's not on the same kind of level as Catch Copy or Ring Ring for sure.
Yeah totally, I actually find it hard to get through some of the longer Nintendo Channel challenges because they don't have that cool, refreshing blast of TamaGe as an intermission break.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

gunstarheroes posted:

And, actually the only time I've been shocked...
1. Everything I Learned From Strategy Guides

:stonk: I really expected to see the singing ones down here.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Same here, I always got a kick out of the absurdity of Everything I Learned. The singing segment would instantly kill my mood from the rest of the episode.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I must be the minority then since I like the singing segments. That song about the dad losing his hair was rather sad one, and who could forget the song about the baby chicks, cats and dogs, or the best of all: KI-BE!

But I guess the segment got axed since it wasn't all too popular, or that's what I understood.

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
Everything I Learned is a one note joke and even Arino's one liners are rarely funny on it so I agree with it being the worst.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
What season was Tama-Ge in? I've been watching every season pretty randomly and still haven't stumbled across that one.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Tama-Ge is the arcade visit, so it's in almost every single episode and why I said it's barely a special segment at all.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
Xevious is by far the least strong of the side segments, how can you possibly vote for Everything I Learned instead of Xevious Diary!? :psyduck:

All that happened in Xevious diary was NOTHING. Some digits changed and all we got was a horrible note at the end!

gunstarheroes
Mar 11, 2013

Caitlin posted:

Xevious is by far the least strong of the side segments, how can you possibly vote for Everything I Learned instead of Xevious Diary!? :psyduck:

All that happened in Xevious diary was NOTHING. Some digits changed and all we got was a horrible note at the end!

This was my thought. I have no idea the appeal of that segment at all. If we were picking personal picks, i think the worst segment is the Project: Game Version, but its mainly because it just wasn't my style.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Zain posted:

What season was Tama-Ge in? I've been watching every season pretty randomly and still haven't stumbled across that one.

It's a Japanese abbreviation for the title of the segment which is why you wouldn't see it in the show. We usually change it to "arcade trip".

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Barcode Battler is one of my favorites, I don't understand why people don't like it. :colbert:

Maybe it's because I had a friend that owned one and we used to dink with it for hours despite it being really really stupid.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl
I think Famicom Manga Cafe is one of those segments that's way more interesting to a foreigner. For one thing, it made it pretty clear that no matter how sketchy or improbable your comic is, if you can get it to run, you're good for two years. The main thing that always gets me about Urawaza Secret Trick Jet Stream is that I always want to yell at Tani for smoking over the loving sound equipment

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

redmercer posted:

I think Famicom Manga Cafe is one of those segments that's way more interesting to a foreigner. For one thing, it made it pretty clear that no matter how sketchy or improbable your comic is, if you can get it to run, you're good for two years.

I agree with you here, this is probably my 2nd or 3rd favourite segment. I loved watching Arino's commentary on those strange comics.

Personally I voted for "Sing whatever the hell you want", but the original Ring-ring tactics is such a funny compilation or strange phonecalls and a really bad game it's way up there for me too.

quote:

I always want to yell at Tani

And this sums up my feelings when I see Tani on any segment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammond Edgar
Apr 24, 2008
I am the nut that likes the Xevious Diary segment. Sure it's pretty pointless, but I like that it's the only segment without any spoken narration or dialogue. It's like a little Xevious musical interlude, short and inoffensive. Stuff like Barcode Battler and the Strategy Guide segments can drag and the payoff is rarely worth it.