Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
The "how to mod" section on the Vicky 2 wiki is really lacking, how do you create new parties and new decisions for countries?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

ZearothK posted:

You can still give them a billion research points if you want to try that experiment for the 24 hours we don't have HoD.

I realized this right as I hit enter and nearly face palmed. It was such an immensely obvious solution and I somehow never figured it out during all my times of tech and reform savegame editing.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

DrProsek posted:

You can still kinda do that if I understand HoD right, it's just that you'll have to cheat yourself 20k points, get a reform, cheat up 20k more, and repeat until you westernize. Not as convenient, but doable.

Is there a specific command for giving RP, and if not, what's the best event for it?

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Is there a specific command for giving RP, and if not, what's the best event for it?
debug researchpoints 20000
or whatever number you want

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat

Farecoal posted:

The "how to mod" section on the Vicky 2 wiki is really lacking, how do you create new parties and new decisions for countries?

To add new parties, go to common/countries/ and open the .txt for whatever country you want parties for. You can probably figure out the syntax once you're there. For decisions, make a new .txt file in the decisions folder and add decisions in this format:
code:
decision_name = {
 potential = {
 what is required to see the decision, e.g. "tag = USA"
 }

allow = {
 what is required to enact the decision, e.g. "year = 1900"
 }

effect = {
 what the decision does, e.g. "inherit = ENG"
 }
}

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Puella Magissima posted:

To add new parties, go to common/countries/ and open the .txt for whatever country you want parties for. You can probably figure out the syntax once you're there. For decisions, make a new .txt file in the decisions folder and add decisions in this format:

Alright, thank you.

Actually, the names are just "UBD_conservative" and "UBD_liberal". I checked the USA file and it was the same deal. Are the actual party names defined somewhere else?

Farecoal fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Apr 15, 2013

cadmaniak
Nov 21, 2006

Le God
So I'm just reading the HoD manual, it states colonisation points come from naval bases and naval power..I'm assuming this is still needed even for landlocked countries colonizing the area next to them..which doesn't really make sense surely? Podcat can you confirm this is the case?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

cadmaniak posted:

So I'm just reading the HoD manual, it states colonisation points come from naval bases and naval power..I'm assuming this is still needed even for landlocked countries colonizing the area next to them..which doesn't really make sense surely? Podcat can you confirm this is the case?

This will seriously gently caress up my plan to try to colonize Africa as Oranje/Transvaal.

cadmaniak
Nov 21, 2006

Le God

Drone posted:

This will seriously gently caress up my plan to try to colonize Africa as Oranje/Transvaal.

That was my exact plan too! Hence the frustration

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat

Farecoal posted:

Alright, thank you.

One more thing I forgot to mention, you have to put the decision inside "political_decisions = {}".

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

cadmaniak posted:

Manual is here for people who want to read it

edit: I'm not a big fan of infographics, but drat, those walls of text in the manual could have been reduced down to a few diagrams which would have been much easier to read and comprehend.

V for Vegas fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Apr 15, 2013

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Farecoal posted:

Alright, thank you.

Actually, the names are just "UBD_conservative" and "UBD_liberal". I checked the USA file and it was the same deal. Are the actual party names defined somewhere else?
Names and stuff are defined in the localization files. If you want to be sure you're using the right syntax/whatever it's called, search for UBD_conservative (content, not file names) and see how Paradox did it, then just copy that poo poo and put in your stuff. Repeat until you have all the parties you want.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
When will we know if HoD is actually going to release tomorrow on steam?

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Thank you. Just one more problem I've run into, when I started playing with my custom decisions, every country in the world did some decisions called "claim_title", and when I looked in my decisions screen there were five decisions when there were supposed to be two, and they had names like "997_title".

My code looks like this, from a text file called "UBD" in C:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Victoria 2\mod\NNF\decisions:

code:
political_decisions = {
	decision_name = Claim ethnic lands! {
		potential = {
			tag = UBD
			exists = UBD
			}

allow = {
			tag = UBD
			year = 1840
			}

effect = {
			938 = {
				add_core = UBD
			}
			947 = {
				add_core = UBD
			}
			936 = {
				add_core = UBD
			}
			707 = {
				add_core = UBD
			}
			997 = {
				add_core = UBD
			}
			996 = {
				add_core = UBD
			}
		}}
	decision_name = Rename our reclaimed lands! = {
		potential = {
			tag = UBD
			exists = UBD

}

allow = {
			tag = UBD
			year = 1840
			owns = 938
			owns = 947
			owns = 936
			owns = 707
			owns = 997
			owns = 996
			owns = 698
			}

effect = {
			947 = {
				change_province_name = "Pastovys"
			}
			936 = {
				change_province_name = "Gardinas"
			}
			707 = {
				change_province_name = "Suvalkai"
			}
			997 = {
				change_province_name = "Oudova"
			}
			996 = {
				change_province_name = "Laugaz"
			}
			698 = {
				change_province_name = "Klaipeda"
		}}}}

Farecoal fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Apr 16, 2013

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat

Farecoal posted:

Thank you. Just one more problem I've run into, when I started playing with my custom decisions, every country in the world did some decisions called "claim_title", and when I looked in my decisions screen there were five decisions when there were supposed to be two, and they had names like "997_title".

You have to have underscores in your decision names, so change them to "claim_ethnic_lands" and "rename_ethnic_lands" or whatever.

e: Also, rather than "decision_name = claim_ethnic_lands {", it should just be "claim_ethnic_lands = {"

Magissima fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Apr 16, 2013

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

toasterwarrior posted:

Chinese protection? It's been a while since I played V2, but I remember my opening move as Japan was usually taking Korea for the iron and coal. Do they now start as guaranteed or whatever by Ming?

You know it might actually be NNM or something I never play without, but Korea starts as a satellite of Ming's for me.

Also it's loving tomorrow already where is my expac Johan you said there would be expansion :argh:

e; From the manual.

quote:

Is it worth fighting for a key State to keep your pretty borders, or will you just grab whatever Colonies you can? Then again, perhaps a war can sort things out once all the Colonies are taken?

They're onto us guys.

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Apr 16, 2013

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

cadmaniak posted:

I think it was mentioned in one of the DDs that colonization costs are based on distance from your country, which may mean that Zulu or Ethiopia and the likes will still get to colonize even with the points income of just their one port and small navy. For a nation like Sokoto, I suppose the implication is that you'll have expanded out to the coast before then, especially since wars of conquest would have sped up your civilizing.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Puella Magissima posted:

You have to have underscores in your decision names, so change them to "claim_ethnic_lands" and "rename_ethnic_lands" or whatever.

e: Also, rather than "decision_name = claim_ethnic_lands {", it should just be "claim_ethnic_lands = {"

Sorry to bother you again, but the problem with the decisions not working/being too many persist despite me fixing that:

[images missing due to imgur being stupid about bitmaps or some poo poo]

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

gradenko_2000 posted:

I think it was mentioned in one of the DDs that colonization costs are based on distance from your country, which may mean that Zulu or Ethiopia and the likes will still get to colonize even with the points income of just their one port and small navy. For a nation like Sokoto, I suppose the implication is that you'll have expanded out to the coast before then, especially since wars of conquest would have sped up your civilizing.

Just to be safe I guess I'll bumrush Zulu early on as Transvaal just so I have access to a naval base.

Though I'm also flirting with the idea of doing an unciv, maybe Siam. I don't remember how SE Asia looks in the game without NNM/APD, but there's probably a lot of room down there for warring other uncivs to boost my civilization score.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
Hunting down the last factroys in my mod. Should release shortly. As an added bonus, I rolled back US provinces to more reasonable borders. By HoD logic many would still be in the process of colonization.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

podcat posted:

No, actually it depends on their potential purchasing power as well so you will see prices drop when nobody can afford something.

Glad to hear that. I remember purchasing power not being considered in demand equations being mentioned as causing all kinds of issues in the economic models. It also contributed to some of the strange building decisions of capitalists IIRC.

vv Nifties, thanks for the clarification.

Munin fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Apr 16, 2013

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Munin posted:

Glad to hear that. I remember purchasing power not being considered in demand equations being mentioned as causing all kinds of issues in the economic models. It also contributed to some of the strange building decisions of capitalists IIRC.

There was an issue with this but not with POPs - it used to be that countries' national stockpile needs would create real demand whether they could afford their purchases or not, so you had a lot of fake demand for things like canned goods, small arms and clipper convoys. Podcat fixed it for HOD.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

I am unironically excited for HoD - I haven't really gotten into V2 since I bought it, much less finished a game.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Necroneocon posted:

I will make Zulu work! Without cheating! :negative:

Glad I'm not the only one who's stubbornly tried to go big leagues with the Zulu.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat

Farecoal posted:

Sorry to bother you again, but the problem with the decisions not working/being too many persist despite me fixing that:

[images missing due to imgur being stupid about bitmaps or some poo poo]

I got your decisions working fine in my game.

e: http://pastebin.com/xNENtpHq

Magissima fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Apr 16, 2013

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine

Flippycunt posted:

Glad I'm not the only one who's stubbornly tried to go big leagues with the Zulu.

:hf: Take over Transvaal everyday.

V for Vegas posted:

edit: I'm not a big fan of infographics, but drat, those walls of text in the manual could have been reduced down to a few diagrams which would have been much easier to read and comprehend.

It's only 28 pages...

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Puella Magissima posted:

I got your decisions working fine in my game.

e: http://pastebin.com/xNENtpHq

I love you. I'd propose marriage but I'm afraid that'd be a bit forward ;-*

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
This expansion could not be launched soon enough. I know that it is only a 20 dollar addition to a game, but over the past few weeks it has been my most anticipated entertainment purchase. Now that we are a few hours away the minutes are passing like hours :(

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

V for Vegas posted:

I think they just copied and pasted the Dev Diaries.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

So I guess something can be said about economic models being represented realistically in Paradox games. Case in point:

I'm playing as Afghanistan in Victoria II, and things are going swimmingly. I manage to get a profitable RGO-heavy income going until the UK decides I need to be part of their little sphere. Instantly my tariff income falls right off, my income gets cut by 75%, and suddenly I can't get the imports I need. I make a mad rush to Civilized and manage to get there by about 1885 or so.

The Amir of Afghanistan embrace Western ideals with open arms and I soon have a couple of textile factories in full motion. My daily income jumps to about 100+ and once again things are looking fantastic. Literacy is nearly 35%, I'm getting 8+ daily research points, and society is racing towards modernization.

Then it all collapses.

My subsidy expenses go through the roof. My budget graph takes a complete nosedive and I piss away 35 mil in funds trying to get it under control. If I shutdown the factories, I lose most of my income. The peasant laborers and farmers can't prop up my government's swollen financial obligations. I don't know if the world market took a giant poo poo or what. Soon I'm drowning in debt or breaking even at best. Factory subsidies are killing me. The materials I produce domestically don't seem to make a difference. I've cut spending tremendously but I'm collecting almost no tax revenue anymore.

What the hell happened?!

WhitemageofDOOM
Sep 13, 2010

... It's magic. I ain't gotta explain shit.

TheHoosier posted:

So I guess something can be said about economic models being represented realistically in Paradox games. Case in point:

I'm playing as Afghanistan in Victoria II, and things are going swimmingly. I manage to get a profitable RGO-heavy income going until the UK decides I need to be part of their little sphere. Instantly my tariff income falls right off, my income gets cut by 75%, and suddenly I can't get the imports I need. I make a mad rush to Civilized and manage to get there by about 1885 or so.

The Amir of Afghanistan embrace Western ideals with open arms and I soon have a couple of textile factories in full motion. My daily income jumps to about 100+ and once again things are looking fantastic. Literacy is nearly 35%, I'm getting 8+ daily research points, and society is racing towards modernization.

Then it all collapses.

My subsidy expenses go through the roof. My budget graph takes a complete nosedive and I piss away 35 mil in funds trying to get it under control. If I shutdown the factories, I lose most of my income. The peasant laborers and farmers can't prop up my government's swollen financial obligations. I don't know if the world market took a giant poo poo or what. Soon I'm drowning in debt or breaking even at best. Factory subsidies are killing me. The materials I produce domestically don't seem to make a difference. I've cut spending tremendously but I'm collecting almost no tax revenue anymore.

What the hell happened?!

Demand for your factory goods went down, or supply of them went up.
Most likely, Britain researched a new tech.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

WhitemageofDOOM posted:

Demand for your factory goods went down, or supply of them went up.
Most likely, Britain researched a new tech.

drat Western capitalists choking out the world economy for blood and profit!

Guess it's time to start influencing Communist votes.

But seriously I think it's game over. I can't climb out of the hole no matter what.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

TheHoosier posted:

But seriously I think it's game over. I can't climb out of the hole no matter what.

gently caress the British, cheat! Just open the console and enter "goods" a bunch of times, gives you 10k each time.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

TheHoosier posted:

And now you understand the history of the modern world :v:

Mortuus
Nov 8, 2012

Jesus loves you, useless corpse
I really don't like games releasing on Tuesdays now, because I have class from 10:40 in the morning to 9:00 at night, and I work Wednesday mornings at 4:00 before going to school all day Wednesday, letting me think about how much fun everyone else is having with HoD. I'm going to get next to no work done at school the next two days.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
I want to know when the first patch is coming out for HoD. That's usually my signal to try playing a Paradox game :v:

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

The Narrator posted:

And now you understand the history of the modern world :v:

I... oh my god, it all makes sense! :ussr:

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

TheHoosier posted:

I... oh my god, it all makes sense! :ussr:

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of struggles with the British.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

It's almost creepy how spot-on the predicament of these uncivilized or "almost-West" nations is concerning unwarranted intervention and meddling by European Great Powers and the USA.

Guess my Afghanistan game is over. I made it to 1898 before I gave up trying to crawl forth from the debt slavery. I don't want to cheat so I'll just call it a game. If anyone has any ideas of things I could do, preferably concerning political revolution and DEATH TO UK rhetoric, i'm all ears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

TheHoosier posted:

It's almost creepy how spot-on the predicament of these uncivilized or "almost-West" nations is concerning unwarranted intervention and meddling by European Great Powers and the USA.

Guess my Afghanistan game is over. I made it to 1898 before I gave up trying to crawl forth from the debt slavery. I don't want to cheat so I'll just call it a game. If anyone has any ideas of things I could do, preferably concerning political revolution and DEATH TO UK rhetoric, i'm all ears.

Don't give your game up. Show them what it means to mess with Afghanistan. Embroil them in a war so costly and destructive that you somehow manage to throw them out of the great powers (or at least the #1 spot). Doesn't matter if your country goes into the toilet, this is for honor.

• Locked thread