Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I caught some of the Staff Picks repeat today. They played the segment when the Jackie Puppet goofs on Conan. Oh man. I've listened to that bit a million times and it never stops being amazing. Seriously. It's gotta be in the top 5 all time bits. I could listen to Billy's Jackie voice all day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Sal's "My Wife" is the superior parody of that song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaShH-FSnlI

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL

Crotch Bat posted:

Sal's "My Wife" is the superior parody of that song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaShH-FSnlI

Photograph is even better imo :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tFpryuETvA

"She used to take it good deep in her snatch... she'd open up her mouth and swallow my batch."

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Crotch Bat posted:

For all that it was, yea. It topped the box office 1st week and made 41 million on a 28 million budget. It wasn't a blockbuster but it did alright. I just watched it again the other day, only thing that annoys me is how it's only 109 minutes long and the guy's career, even at that point, had so much to tell that you feel as a fan of the show that you missed out on seeing a lot.

Howard would go on and on and on about how it was going to revolutionize Hollywood and make a hundred million dollars and so on and so forth. A few years ago, he actually admitted that it "underperformed".

I read somewhere that a movie has to make twice its budget in gross receipts to break even, but I don't know if that includes receipts from outside the US.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE

prefect posted:

Howard would go on and on and on about how it was going to revolutionize Hollywood and make a hundred million dollars and so on and so forth. A few years ago, he actually admitted that it "underperformed".

I read somewhere that a movie has to make twice its budget in gross receipts to break even, but I don't know if that includes receipts from outside the US.

It did really well on home video though, so who knows?

It's a good movie though. It really holds up, if not for the fact that it's a love letter to the woman who left him.

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Get the scientists working on the tube technology, immediately.

Manifest posted:

It did really well on home video though, so who knows?

It's a good movie though. It really holds up, if not for the fact that it's a love letter to the woman who left him.

If it was so successful why didn't it ever get a special edition DVD or Blu Ray?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Because Howard is a perfectionist; he didn't want to do special features unless they were lavishly produced.

This smells like a lovely excuse, but I actually believe it.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

So did Captain Janks or anyone else prank the news today?

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
Hearing "HOWARD STERNS PENIS BABA BOOEY" always helps me with any national tragedy. Hope Janks can get on with the healing.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

Two Kings posted:

If it was so successful why didn't it ever get a special edition DVD or Blu Ray?

Because Howard controls the rights, and is being an rear end in a top hat about it being "perfect" meaning it'll never see the light of day.

Are you seriously implying that a film has to be "successful" to get a blu ray release?

musclecoder
Oct 23, 2006

I'm all about meeting girls. I'm all about meeting guys.
I love stories of Howard doing normal things like the rest of us plebes. Today, Howard discoveries smoothie bars and peanut butter smoothies.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Manifest posted:

Because Howard controls the rights, and is being an rear end in a top hat about it being "perfect" meaning it'll never see the light of day.

Are you seriously implying that a film has to be "successful" to get a blu ray release?

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=cliffhanger.htm

quote:

Production Budget: $70 million

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic: $84,049,211 33.0%
+ Foreign: $170,951,000 67.0%

= Worldwide: $255,000,211

I really wish movie-studio accounting wasn't the nest of lies that it is, because it could be interesting stuff if I felt the numbers were trustworthy.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
I'm surprised people not only like Private Parts but actually consider it a movie. To me it was more of a narcissist's attempt to control public perception of himself. I give it points for originality because I've never seen a movie start with the main character saying "people don't like me much, here's a fictional version of my life to make you like me" but it's no Cliffhanger.

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012
That movie holds up mostly thanks to Paul Giamatti. Without him it would be borderline unwatchable. It's really too bad that Howard went the route of trying to get people to like him rather than doing what he does best.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

musclecoder posted:

I love stories of Howard doing normal things like the rest of us plebes. Today, Howard discoveries smoothie bars and peanut butter smoothies.

My favorite instance of this was when he went to a CVS with his daughter and was blown away that it carried "everything" .

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

-Atom- posted:

My favorite instance of this was when he went to a CVS with his daughter and was blown away that it carried "everything" .

That one had to be a CVS advertisement, right? I remember him going on and on about "aisles full of candy!" and I couldn't believe it wasn't product placement.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Artie's still hilarious. Here's him shredding A-Rod.

http://www.tmz.com/2013/04/15/artie-lange-alex-rodriguez-yankees-injured-photos/?adid=center_what

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Manifest posted:

No, the people who owns the rights are Paramount. Howard was interested in doing a 10th Anniversary Edition but it came up once they were at Sirus and in the middle of the lawsuit. I would like to see a Bluray with all the deleted scene from the workprint at least. But, I have a feeling that Paramount isn't interested is spending money on a hen that doesn't roost for them anymore.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Paramount wanted to release an anniversary DVD years back, Howard said that he wanted full control of everything, special features, etc., Paramount said no, that's why my DVD is a non-anamorphic laserdisc print. Howard talked about this in detail on his show sometime in 2007. A new release would be nice, but I won't hold my breath, plus, I feel like I would buy it and never watch it, like the DVD, which I picked up for $5 new many years ago and has sat on my shelf, gathering dust.

Cliffhanger, on the other hand, I watch that often. Renny Harlin has never done better, don't argue with me.

Sasquatch!
Nov 18, 2000

I enjoy(ed) Private Parts as a Stern fan, but I can't imagine it would be worth a goddamn if I wasn't already a listener. Objectively , it's a hideously bland trite movie.

Cliffhanger - on the other hand - was awesome. :cool:

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

Sasquatch! posted:

Cliffhanger - on the other hand - was awesome. :cool:

ultraviolence123 posted:

Cliffhanger, on the other hand, I watch that often. Renny Harlin has never done better, don't argue with me.

You are both mental.
It's not like Cliffhanger is Demolition Man.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Djarum posted:

But, I have a feeling that Paramount isn't interested is spending money on a hen that doesn't roost for them anymore.

They'll release it about a week before Howard retires. That's the time that it's going to make money. They can get it an end-cap at the department stores, sell a bunch of it, and then keep one copy around at a time at their retailing partners after that instead of it taking up extra shelf space as a new release now.

ragle
Nov 1, 2009

prefect posted:

Someone else alluded to it but this is meaningless because http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollywood_accounting, the numbers are cooked.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Ooh, Deidre was in the studio today? That must have been exciting radio.

Namaer
Jun 6, 2004

I thought you meant the actual Deidre and got excited. I wanted to hear about life at the ranch.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

I want a HowardTV special where Beth and Deirdre hang out and talk about marrying grouchy old assholes.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm sure this is ancient history for both O&A and Stern fans but I did a double take last night when I saw a young Anthony at an old Jackie impersonation contest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SX0lcD1IjP8 (14 minutes in)

Great Jokeman and Kinison impressions!

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Nice!

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I believe he has did somethin fairly very wrong.

(I have no idea what clip this is actually from but it's suddenly been in my head all week)

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I've had the Artie Show app on my phone for a while and today it alerted me that Direct TV made them take the app off the store and to stop supporting it. Is Artie on the way out again?

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Joe Don Baker posted:

I've had the Artie Show app on my phone for a while and today it alerted me that Direct TV made them take the app off the store and to stop supporting it. Is Artie on the way out again?

Haven't heard anything yet, but he's "on vacation" this week...
Yellow Feet is in live though. Didn't hear the Enigma that is the Bocchetti yet though.
Last "vacation" was the end of Nick on the show :(

Kragger99 fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Apr 17, 2013

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Kragger99 posted:

Haven't heard anything yet, but he's "on vacation" this week...
Yellow Feet is in live though. Didn't hear the Enigma that is the Bocchetti yet though.
Last "vacation" was the end of Nick on the show :(

Direct TV has put a lot of money and time into that show. I have no idea why given Artie's history.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Joe Don Baker posted:

Direct TV has put a lot of money and time into that show. I have no idea why given Artie's history.

When was the last time you cared about a radio show? Artie is a big draw for them.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

It was the gay photographs.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Richard's KC songs are the best the show has ever seen.

mrfreeze
Apr 3, 2009

Jon Arbuckle: Master of pleasuring women

Speaking of the Artie show, was interesting that Sal and others from Stern were in the studio last week but it was supposed to be a secret. Especially when Artie started talking about how "certain people" abandoned him during his bad times.

djnkro
Sep 16, 2007

mrfreeze posted:

Speaking of the Artie show, was interesting that Sal and others from Stern were in the studio last week but it was supposed to be a secret. Especially when Artie started talking about how "certain people" abandoned him during his bad times.

Interesting. I would like to hear this episode. Got a date on it?

porkfriedrice
May 23, 2010

djnkro posted:

Interesting. I would like to hear this episode. Got a date on it?

It was last Friday the 12th.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

mrfreeze posted:

Wait, in the studio as a secret?
Did one of them talk on air or did Artie say they had been there afterwards?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

I love Artie but I really don't blame anyone who "abandoned" him during one of the countless times he was hooked on drugs, constantly lying to everyone and even attacking people physically. I mean at some point, you have to let people deal with their demons on their own. And it's not like Artie is taking great care of himself even now. This is just an assumption, but I'm betting he got treated wayyyyyyyy better at the Stern Show than any other job on Earth.

haljordan fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Apr 18, 2013