Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OZC
Jan 28, 2008

Srice posted:

So it looks like we're getting MSG on blu-ray later this year http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=BCXA-766

I wish it was the movies instead, but I certainly won't say no to the tv series.

Really hoping that after this we'll get Turn A on blu-ray. If I'm remembering right, the only remaining Gundam tv shows that have yet to get a blu-ray release are all the 90s stuff; Victory, G, Wing, X, and Turn A (and I guess to include everything else, we also gotta see blu-rays for 0083 and 0080). If I had to bet I'd say Wing might be next, but Turn A could certainly still be possible.

(But I think the only safe bet is that if X ever gets a blu-ray release, it will be dead last)

I think we'll see Wing next year or in 2015 at the latest as it will be the 20th anniversary, and Bandai Visual has HD masters ready for it and 0083. 0080, V, G, X, and Turn A all need to have HD scans done, and as I recall, Turn A will need some occasional upscaling in the same style as Cowboy Bebop had due to CG that they don't have original elements for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

OZC posted:

I think we'll see Wing next year or in 2015 at the latest as it will be the 20th anniversary, and Bandai Visual has HD masters ready for it and 0083. 0080, V, G, X, and Turn A all need to have HD scans done, and as I recall, Turn A will need some occasional upscaling in the same style as Cowboy Bebop had due to CG that they don't have original elements for now.

While I know it's generally regarded as a bad or at best forgettable series, I'll be happy to see a remaster of Wing. It has that strong nostalgia pull from being on in the afternoons when I was right at the target gundam age, and I liked most of its secondary cast even if the main pilots were kind of weak. If it's dubbed I hope they would keep the original dubbing, too. I also recall that its female characters were actually pretty decent and not screwed over constantly like the more recent gundams like to do. I should watch Wing again.

PS Are there any odds that they might do something with the recent sequel series of novels? I would also settle for the adventures of Zechs and Noin.

vvvv Oh. Well drat. Is it at least stupid in an entertaining or endearing way? Actually I'd probably even be satisfied if they just got the same person who did Wing's soundtrack to do the soundtrack for it. Or Endless Duel's soundtrack, either one.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Apr 16, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

chumbler posted:

PS Are there any odds that they might do something with the recent sequel series of novels? I would also settle for the adventures of Zechs and Noin.

Oh god, you don't want this. Frozen Teardrop may be the stupidest loving thing to come out of Gundam. I know that's a fierce contest but Frozen Teardrop is a strong-rear end contender.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

ImpAtom posted:

Oh god, you don't want this. Frozen Teardrop may be the stupidest loving thing to come out of Gundam. I know that's a fierce contest but Frozen Teardrop is a strong-rear end contender.

I'm almost afraid to ask. All I know about frozen teardrop is that the new deathscythe has nanomachine vampire bat illusions and everyone is kind of needlessly a clone of someone from the original wing, in the literal genetic clone sense. Also the only mech design they've released from the entire series is Prometheus, and mech designs are the most important bit of gundam for me so I don't really care about frozen teardrop at all :colbert:

Is it stupider than 00 season two descending from interesting geopolitics into fascist space police and the newtype pod people vs the freedom fighter power ranger mech team, or Age being just insanely, overwhelmingly stupid, or any of SEED or SEED destiny?

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Every time people who've read Frozen Teardrop talk about Frozen Teardrop it does sound like one of the dumbest, insane, not-good-at-all things that could be made with giant robots. If the numerous discussions which occasionally pop up about it weren't so consistent about Frozen Teardrop's content, I would assume everyone involved was pulling a prank on those who hadn't read it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Red Bones posted:

I'm almost afraid to ask. All I know about frozen teardrop is that the new deathscythe has nanomachine vampire bat illusions and everyone is kind of needlessly a clone of someone from the original wing, in the literal genetic clone sense. Also the only mech design they've released from the entire series is Prometheus, and mech designs are the most important bit of gundam for me so I don't really care about frozen teardrop at all :colbert:

Is it stupider than 00 season two descending from interesting geopolitics into fascist space police and the newtype pod people vs the freedom fighter power ranger mech team, or Age being just insanely, overwhelmingly stupid, or any of SEED or SEED destiny?

It is dumber than all of those. It's basically everything you can imagine from awful fanfiction, up to and including every character's children (or not their children in certain cases) and their parents looks exactly identical to those characters, completely batshit stupid insane plots. (Did you know Relena's mother had a tragic romance with Heero's father and they looked identical and also she piloted a prototype Epyon equipped with a Prototype Zero System also maybe she was the Lightning Count or something and had giant pumpkin carriage tanks?!)

Like it is just in every way the stupidest thing you can imagine.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
It's all just a giant fanfiction to explain how Relena shows up again in Turn A as Corin Nander.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

So I just finished Seed Destiny for the first time. I didn't hate it as much as I expected, but I do have this urge to watch Zeta or G now, cleanse my palette a little. Also, I read the summary for what's happened so far in Frozen Teardrop a week ago and had to get plastered with a friend to try and forget it. It didn't work. :negative:

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

ImpAtom posted:

It is dumber than all of those. It's basically everything you can imagine from awful fanfiction, up to and including every character's children (or not their children in certain cases) and their parents looks exactly identical to those characters, completely batshit stupid insane plots. (Did you know Relena's mother had a tragic romance with Heero's father and they looked identical and also she piloted a prototype Epyon equipped with a Prototype Zero System also maybe she was the Lightning Count or something and had giant pumpkin carriage tanks?!)

So then that makes Relena's "romance" even worse because she's stalking her brother. :suicide:

OZC
Jan 28, 2008
I wanted to say that for every good thing in Frozen Teardrop, there are 40 other terrible things surrounding it, but then I realized that for the life of me, I can't think of anything I'd actually call good. Maybe that between it and the Glory of the Losers manga, we got MG Katoki designs model kits for the Gundams? I did like that Sumizawa fell into the "Simpsons did it!" trap by revealing that Dr. Jay's real name is.... Jay. Jay Null. Yep.

Caros
May 14, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

So what you're telling me is that Frozen Teardrop is Heero's brain misfiring as he slowly dies of Zero System related brain anuryisms? I'm surprisingly okay with that.

Al Baron
Nov 12, 2007
They were all out of Marquess.

Edit: Speaking of this, has anyone translated that new G Gundam manga thing?

Al Baron fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Apr 17, 2013

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

I always found it funny how in G Gundam the main guys were 4 of the 5 veto countries in the U.N but Japan instead of England because it's an anime and also gently caress that drug addict guy with the british guard Gundam.

The Goon
Sep 11, 2001

Frozen Tearsdrop does seem batshit insane, but what makes it even more ridiculous is that they still haven't introduced any of the mechs save one, and the series has been going on for, what, a few years now?

I want to see a Wing Zero with even more angel wings dammit!

VanishXZone
Apr 1, 2010

TARDISman posted:

So I just finished Seed Destiny for the first time. I didn't hate it as much as I expected, but I do have this urge to watch Zeta or G now, cleanse my palette a little. Also, I read the summary for what's happened so far in Frozen Teardrop a week ago and had to get plastered with a friend to try and forget it. It didn't work. :negative:

This should knock the bad taste out of your mouth.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Oh, jeez, I forgot about Kamille's uterus-punch. That and throwing a crippled Jerid down a cliff. I love you, Zeta Gundam.

Adam Strange
Oct 11, 2012

He laughs. The line goes dead.

kirbysuperstar posted:

That and throwing a crippled Jerid down a cliff.

He fell!

psyer
Mar 26, 2013
The cover for vol. 2 of Gundam Origin has been released.

Not that impressed.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I like that Volume II: "Garma" is depicted with a painting of Amuro.

Oblique Angle
Feb 11, 2011

God or the devil? Why not surpass them both?!

Holy poo poo everyone is Zeta is a loving rear end in a top hat hahaha. I think Emma of all people had the most slaps in that. And that bit where Quattro is just beating the poo poo out of Kamille against the wall - I should feel bad but I just laugh instead. :roflolmao:

Caros
May 14, 2008

psyer posted:

The cover for vol. 2 of Gundam Origin has been released.

Not that impressed.

God. I just can't stop seeing Amuro's hair as one of those big Russian hats.

sunburnedcrow
Dec 17, 2012
Now I feel like watching Zeta.

Caros posted:

God. I just can't stop seeing Amuro's hair as one of those big Russian hats.

That is how he gets his newtype powers, from hair looking like Russian hats.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
He looks like like a human billboard on his break with the way they positioned the thing.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Oblique Angle posted:

Holy poo poo everyone is Zeta is a loving rear end in a top hat hahaha. I think Emma of all people had the most slaps in that. And that bit where Quattro is just beating the poo poo out of Kamille against the wall - I should feel bad but I just laugh instead. :roflolmao:

I should probably pick up Zeta again, I enjoyed watching it but kind of lost track of it.

My observations of the series so far can be summed up as "Everyone but Quattro, Emma, and Bright is an impulsive idiot, evil, or both"

It's great. :allears:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Emma's probably my favorite character in Zeta, honestly. She's sharing screentime with a mix of legendary heroes like Char and Bright, Angsty Gundam Protaganists like Kamille, and Tomino's Weird Views On Women as embodied by Reccoa, and yet she goes out and does her job while being probably the most normal character of the bunch and the best non-newtype pilot in the AEUG.

I felt so bad at the ending. :smith:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Dr Pepper posted:

I should probably pick up Zeta again, I enjoyed watching it but kind of lost track of it.

My observations of the series so far can be summed up as "Everyone but Quattro, Emma, and Bright is an impulsive idiot, evil, or both"

It's funny, because my thoughts were ALMOST the same thing. Except I was just disappointed in the end. Goodness they were all so stupid.

American Folk Hero
Oct 21, 2010

Dr Pepper posted:

This is exactly why I love Zeta. It's a giant clusterfuck of dysfunction and incompetence. The Kamille-Jerid rivalry is the greatest thing about it, IMO, because it so perfectly embodies the spirit of the show. It's a downward spiral into violent insanity fueled by petty revenge and self-loathing.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power

"Seven six two millimeter. FULL METAL JACKET"

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

American Folk Hero posted:

This is exactly why I love Zeta. It's a giant clusterfuck of dysfunction and incompetence. The Kamille-Jerid rivalry is the greatest thing about it, IMO, because it so perfectly embodies the spirit of the show. It's a downward spiral into violent insanity fueled by petty revenge and self-loathing.

Their rivalry is really just a competition to see who can kill more of the other person's girlfriends.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Speaking of Zeta, are the New Translation movies any good? I was thinking of taking a look at those instead of rewatching the entire drat series.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Spiritus Nox posted:

Speaking of Zeta, are the New Translation movies any good? I was thinking of taking a look at those instead of rewatching the entire drat series.

They're OK but boy do they leave out a lot.

Also I have to wonder if G Gundam's oft-repeated "warriors communicate through their fists" is a subtle jab at the Newtype fisticuffs in 0079 and Zeta.

Adam Strange
Oct 11, 2012

He laughs. The line goes dead.
^^^ yuuuuuup

TTBF posted:

Their rivalry is really just a competition to see who can kill more of the other person's girlfriends.

It's more like 'friends/family/lovers' but the best thing is that it ends in a tie: 3 for 3.

Jerid kills Kamille's mom, Apolly, and Four whereas Kamille kills Lila, Kackricon, and Moaur.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

If you're rewatching Zeta then the movies are decent enough; you can fill in the blanks (and know what they changed) with your knowledge of the tv series. Though the way they frequently switch between new animation and old animation can be maddening.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Srice posted:

If you're rewatching Zeta then the movies are decent enough; you can fill in the blanks (and know what they changed) with your knowledge of the tv series. Though the way they frequently switch between new animation and old animation can be maddening.

The best ones are scenes like when a mobile suit is floating in space, 2 seconds of brand new animation of it throwing its rifle away, then cut back to old animation.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Adam Strange posted:

Jerid kills Kamille's mom, Apolly, and Four whereas Kamille kills Lila, Kackricon, and Moaur.

This sentence is like the embodiment of Zeta Gundam. Petty rivalries, people dying left and right, and the weirdest goddamn names.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Srice posted:

My only problem with the movies is that they changed the ending to be less depressing. The original is so ridiculously dark that it's bracing. Almost every single named character dies horribly. The protagonist has severe brain damage. And the war isn't even really over!

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

sunburnedcrow
Dec 17, 2012
Speaking of Zeta? Is double zeta worth watching. I skipped double zeta and went straight into Char's Counterattack. (Mostly because I am a huge Char fan)

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

sunburnedcrow posted:

Speaking of Zeta? Is double zeta worth watching. I skipped double zeta and went straight into Char's Counterattack. (Mostly because I am a huge Char fan)

Not really. The first third is kind of mediocre comedy, the middle is pretty good, the last is just insulting. There's a fairly obvious retooling to make way for CCA that ruins any momentum it had. Unicorn references the poo poo out of it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I thought I heard a girl's name, but [Eren] looks like a boy!

• Locked thread