Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

I'm seeing this from an AoS perspective.

white primer uber alles
It really sounds more and more like vanilla WoW, but with updated systems.

That is a good thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pertinent
Apr 3, 2009

Pawl posted:

It really sounds more and more like vanilla WoW, but with updated systems.

That is a good thing.

That's probably because they have quite a few of the original WoW decision makers on the team.

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....
I signed up for this with multiple e-mails but can't remember which. I decided to sign up again for the beta and it let me instead of saying I already did. Rats. I have no clue which of my ~15 emails I used and I can't remember how to log into half.

Really want to play this game!

Midrena
May 2, 2009

Draynar posted:

Yay new video. (vid part 1)

Thanks for that. I'm always glad to stare at in-game footage.

Here's part 2. [link taken down by TB for editing purposes, see a few posts below for new link]

Midrena fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Apr 14, 2013

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
Carbine has been answering questions about the beta on Reddit. Some snippets:

CRB_Gaffer posted:

Waves go out approximately every 5 weeks. Some times we might miss a wave (this probably means we screwed something up and got negative feedback and are waiting to fix it before adding new testers. Or we got busy. Or drunk.)

Why 5 weeks? That's our current milestone cadence (it might change later of course but that's it for now).

What's a milestone? Effectively a major patch. Last set of patch notes: 124 pages, plus an additional 440 items from art. Booya.

That's what ya get when you have 200+ people working in an engine built to make modifying the world earlier. We'll see if we can keep up the pace during beta (changing existing content while continuing to generate new content is nontrivial, even though we're supercool).

Anyways all of that is subject to change but FYI. We do several waves during each CBT phase. Oddnesses will happen. But that's the plan.

quote:

To clarify: Every 5 weeks (roughly, barring us mucking with the schedule) we'll send out several new waves of invites.
Hopefully that means more invites next week. He also commented on pre-purchasing for beta, which is about as close as Carbine has come to talking about the business model. There is still no way to tell if it will be sub, buy to play, or free to play with microtransactions and a pre-order/founder program like Neverwinter.

on pre-purchase for beta posted:

Yes, we'll have access to different parts of beta via pre-purchase under current plans.

"Near future" entirely depends on ship date which depends on how well beta goes. If the beta groundhog comes out of his hole and sees a bunch of suck, we stuff him back in the ground to make it better.

That's a horrible analogy now that I think of it. Anyways, the beta groundhog is cautiously optimistic right now but we're 3 days into beta and there's "only" a few hundred more hours of content and several dozen features to unlock in the next various updates, so we'll see.
His post history if you want to read without having to wade through Reddit's lovely interface.

raingwc
Feb 28, 2008

I havent played WoW for a lot of years now, and really no MMO with this level of, well, polish since.
It just looks good, and I'll definately give it a go.

Eryxias
Feb 17, 2011

Stay low.
Have they mentioned anything about whether housing is character or account bound?
Personally I'd rather have all of my characters building off of the same house rather than each one having their own.
Or at least the option to choose.
edit: and yes, i know you can share your house, but i'm sure there are some downsides to it not being "yours" when you go in, otherwise everybody would be staying over at rich guy's house for all the neat things.

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008

Eryxias posted:

Have they mentioned anything about whether housing is character or account bound?
Personally I'd rather have all of my characters building off of the same house rather than each one having their own.
Or at least the option to choose.
edit: and yes, i know you can share your house, but i'm sure there are some downsides to it not being "yours" when you go in, otherwise everybody would be staying over at rich guy's house for all the neat things.

Its character bound.

Rylek
Feb 13, 2009

Rage is the only freedom left me.

Dracula Factory posted:

Looks like 40-man raiding isn't necessary and is only for the groups who can manage to herd 40 cats at once, which I think is just fine.

I'm not sure where you're getting that it isn't necessary? It wasn't 'necessary' in vanilla WoW either and you still had 5 man dungeons and such to do at level cap. But anybody who played vanilla WoW knows that if you didn't do raiding then you were missing out on all the cool endgame stuff (awesome boss fights, vastly superior loot for stats and looks, cool dungeon environments, etc...)

I have no idea how they're going to make raiding not feel mandatory if they're copying the vanilla WoW model. If they don't offer vastly superior loot then nobody will do them, if they do give them all the best stuff then the other 90% of your player base gets bitter at being second class citizens and leaves. It's not like we don't know how this is going to end up, this is exactly what happened in vanilla WoW and Blizzard had to change accordingly. Not sure why they think Wildstar will somehow be immune to this.

My other issue is that 40 and 20 man raids take a lot of development time to create and tune. Not counting creating items and art assets for them. Spending massive amounts of time in between content patches to develop content for < 10% of your player base seemed like a bad idea when Blizzard did it and it seems like a bad idea now. If Blizzard with their bottomless pit of money couldn't develop Raid and Non-raid content simultaneously at a decent clip then I'm not sure what hope they have.

I guess we'll see how it develops but the raiding thing has me a bit worried, and I raided 40 mans back in Vanilla. I just kind of figured the MMO developers had realized that most players don't want to do large cat herding raids anymore.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Its weird but, i blurbed about the 40 man raids and at least two of the people i knew were all "hey, this has put this game on the map for me now!".

Myself? Pass. But the rest of the game looks compelling enough anyway. :3:

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
TB has a vid up for Wildstar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeUbXJZPkd0

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Part 2 was linked a bit earlier, but unfortunately the video was made private and then taken down. However, it is now back up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2_ggHgbuKs

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Eonwe posted:

Part 2 was linked a bit earlier, but unfortunately the video was made private and then taken down. However, it is now back up.

Well color me cautiously interested in this. I'm looking over the thread, but if I didn't go to PAX East is there even a way to sign up for testing yet?

Midrena
May 2, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

... is there even a way to sign up for testing yet?

Here: http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/beta/

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Neat, thanks. Asks about online gaming groups we're affiliated with that might want to participate. Don't suppose anyone wants to volunteer to represent the Something Awful Forums? :v:

a glitch
Jun 27, 2008

no wait stop

Soiled Meat

Eonwe posted:

I know they've said there won't be an autoattack, but I really hope you can set the 1 skill to a toggle or something. It's essentially an autoattack, so requiring you to mash the 1 key all the time seems a bit pointless, especially if you're trying to dodge poo poo with WSAD etc.

Bardlebee
Feb 24, 2009

Im Blind.

Ciaphas posted:

Neat, thanks. Asks about online gaming groups we're affiliated with that might want to participate. Don't suppose anyone wants to volunteer to represent the Something Awful Forums? :v:

This raises a good point.

Will we have our own guild?

Goon Star

And we should play Exiles because you know everyone will be playing Dominion because that is the hip thing to do now, to be evil.

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

white primer uber alles
Dominion aren't evil, they're trying to run a galactic empire.

The Exiles are a bunch of treehuggers and edgy teenagers who are rebelling against The Establishment because it's like, totally evil and stuff, man!

Bardlebee
Feb 24, 2009

Im Blind.

Pawl posted:

The Exiles are a bunch of treehuggers and edgy teenagers who are rebelling against The Establishment because it's like, totally evil and stuff, man!

That's fair, actually that is why I like the sides so much. They aren't black and white.

Either way, I vote exiles because bunny people.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Personally I don't care as long as I can be a nine foot tall robot!

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008

Pawl posted:

gotta agree. 9 foot tall robots. But gotta see about the unveiled races. There might be space zombies!

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Assuming there will be pvp and pve servers, goons will be split into 4 groups. The biggest group will be dominion pvp because goons love open world pvp, griefing, and being the bad guys. Despite the fact that open world pvp is always terrible and griefing rarely ever happens. After the initial rush of people, the 3 other guilds will struggle along. It's why games have gotten away from splitting up groups of people like that, and why I was pretty disappointed to see Wildstar would be doing it.

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008

Eltoasto posted:

Assuming there will be pvp and pve servers, goons will be split into 4 groups. The biggest group will be dominion pvp because goons love open world pvp, griefing, and being the bad guys. Despite the fact that open world pvp is always terrible and griefing rarely ever happens. After the initial rush of people, the 3 other guilds will struggle along. It's why games have gotten away from splitting up groups of people like that, and why I was pretty disappointed to see Wildstar would be doing it.

You've apparently done Swtor with goons and every other mmo ><

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

white primer uber alles
Dominion get their own kind of bunny people.

LIMBO KING
May 3, 2006

Almost as adorable as the smoking dogs and cat kings from Tera. :3:

I've been getting their newsletters and did that little side survey but I can't remember if I actually signed up for beta, ugh.

Abandon All Hope
Apr 6, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Bardlebee posted:

Goon Star

And we should play Exiles because you know everyone will be playing Dominion because that is the hip thing to do now, to be evil.

I wouldn't worry much about it, as goon guilds are mostly comprised of pubbies now, and most goons are in fact pubbies.

That being said, I doubt there are going to be any real "faction balance" issues with this game, as others have stated, considering the lore of both factions have a history of ill repute.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Bardlebee posted:

Goon Star

Im going Dominion and Space humans because they are a parody of everything warhammer 40k. Then im going to find the RP realm, and do what every good goon's duty should be, roleplay being in warhammer 40k but being way too loving jolly & happy about it. :colbert:

On a serious note, any info about servers at all? The server infrastructure side of things is way more important to me nowadays with MMO's. I was spoiled by playing with american goons with TSW and actually having a guild that lived. :3: Hoping for one server with zone shards as need be system.

Caeks
Dec 27, 2009

Shadowmorn posted:

Im going Dominion and Space humans because they are a parody of everything warhammer 40k. Then im going to find the RP realm, and do what every good goon's duty should be, roleplay being in warhammer 40k but being way too loving jolly & happy about it. :colbert:

On a serious note, any info about servers at all? The server infrastructure side of things is way more important to me nowadays with MMO's. I was spoiled by playing with american goons with TSW and actually having a guild that lived. :3: Hoping for one server with zone shards as need be system.

I'm looking forward to running a Mechari named Bender. I'll need a space human Fry to accompany me for antics.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

raingwc posted:

I havent played WoW for a lot of years now, and really no MMO with this level of, well, polish since.
It just looks good, and I'll definately give it a go.

Rift is pretty much better at being WoW than WoW itself, but it has no active dodging and other neat actiony stuff.

I agree that a themepark MMO with (well made) active combat seems interesting, even if I probably won't play it because I absolutely despise the very idea of gear progression.

RottenK fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Apr 15, 2013

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

drat those videos really do make it look like WoW in space, but in a pretty cool way.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Shadowmorn posted:

Im going Dominion and Space humans because they are a parody of everything warhammer 40k.

Same.

Cash money shop for a commissar outfit will take all my money.

BadLlama fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Apr 15, 2013

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This game looks really promising. Hopefully none of the hype gets ruined once launch happens.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

I think I saw a screenshot of Draken in commissar outfits.

Midrena
May 2, 2009
There was a beta patch notes leak that happened a day or two ago. Carbine decided to run with it and has officially posted those beta patch notes themselves! Of the incident, and the reason they are putting the patch notes up, they say:

Carbine posted:

The beta patch notes for WildStar were leaked by a current beta tester. Our core fansite supporters have, out of respect for Carbine, opted not to share that leaked information, knowing it was a violation of our mutual trust.

So with a mind towards fairness to those people who have maintained that trust, we're taking the leak public in an official capacity. No, we won't be doing this every time. Yes, we want to remove the person/s who leaked this information from beta. Yes, we want to avoid future leaks.

Yes, we want to openly discuss areas of our game that require critical feedback. We'd just like to do it on our terms.

In the end, this is about trust and respect. We trust and respect our community, and refuse to let this particular bad apple spoil this entire bunch.

So, here you go. The M30 Patch Notes.

Enjoy, won't you?

Which I think is a pretty cool thing, as it gives people stuff to chew on and discuss (or maybe that's a bad thing :v:). The notes are quite long and there's a ton of stuff in a number of areas, including classes.

Official link to the patch notes: http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/news/m30_patch_notes.php

I like this a lot (always enjoyed the quest inventory when games had it):
  • Player inventory has been divided into three parts: Inventory, Supply Stash, and Quest Inventory.
  • Supply Stash will keep track of all your various tradeskill and hobby ingredients so they no longer take up valuable bag space.
  • Quest Inventory will only appear when you have received or collected required items for quests. Many quests which used to grant quest items have now relocated those items to the new Quest Inventory.

This had me going "Oh?" since I thought they'd said there weren't any:
  • Added new right click "auto attacks" -- these abilities deal a small amount of damage to a single target.

Also, what is probably the first dungeon is for level 17-22 (Stormtalon), and apparently there will be 3v3 PvP Arenas already at level 22.

Midrena fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Apr 16, 2013

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!
This game actually looks cool.

To drat bad NCSoft is associated with it. I've sworn off NCSoft, no matter how good their product is.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Midrena posted:

and apparently there will be 3v3 PvP Arenas already at level 22.

Arenas are only going to be available at the final level cap, but they've temporarily moved it down to the current beta level cap so they could start testing it earlier.

Midrena
May 2, 2009

Pryce posted:

Arenas are only going to be available at the final level cap, but they've temporarily moved it down to the current beta level cap so they could start testing it earlier.

Yeah, that makes more sense. Silly me. :downs: Though, it would be pretty fun to actually have arenas at that level, simply to see how your skills and your team evolved as they level.

CzarTim
Oct 2, 2012

Only as you gasp your dying breath shall you understand, your life amounted to no more than one drop in a limitless ocean.

Yet what is any ocean but a multitude of drops?

Tommy 2.0 posted:

To drat bad NCSoft is associated with it. I've sworn off NCSoft, no matter how good their product is.

I've seen several people say this. What did NCSoft do?

evilentity
Jun 25, 2010

Midrena posted:

This had me going "Oh?" since I thought they'd said there weren't any:
  • Added new right click "auto attacks" -- these abilities deal a small amount of damage to a single target.

Thats sounds like "white attack" that just doesnt cost any resources.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midrena
May 2, 2009

CzarTim posted:

I've seen several people say this. What did NCSoft do?

For a lot of people, I believe it's due to NCSoft shutting City of Heroes down.

• Locked thread