Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Deceptor101 posted:

I like the idea of craftsman, because when it breaks I can take it in and get it replaced for free, rather than sending it out in the mail.

Yeah, for 90 days to 2 years, depending on what you buy. torque wrenches aren't covered by the lifetime guarantee.
http://www.craftsman.com/cswarranty/nb-100000000227082#point2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

Deceptor101 posted:

So one of the last things in my "portable tool setup" (not air) I need is a good torque wrench. Currently I'm using this fine specimen which has actually gotten me through quite a bit.

These do still have their uses. You can't measure breakaway torque with a clicker wrench, but you can with that one. I have that exact same one, in fact, bought for just that purpose. I needed to swap input flanges when I did my diff swap, and needed to know the breakaway torque for each so I could put the flanges back on without overtorquing and screwing up the preload.

That said, I'd grab the 1/4" and 3/8" clickers from Harbor Freight. They're cheap as hell and work well. However, for a 1/2" I'd spend a bit more and step up to something like this to get the 250 ft-lb range. The HF 1/2" drive only goes up to 150 ft-lb.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
That digital Craftsman looks to be a "same factory in Taiwan" job, it's identical to my Clarke one and the Sealey one I got my dad. Perfectly good bit of kit with lots of useful functions - peak hold, saved torques, cumulative angular measurement etc.

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

What fun is a project if it doesn't at least slightly ruin your life?
I'm looking to avoid HF, as I've had bad luck with my 1/4 in/lb torque wrench from them, and I've budgeted a bit more money. I was not aware of the lack of the lifetime warranty on the craftsman torque wrenches though, so I'll have to think about it more.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

So, I would appreciate recommendations for a tool as a gift.

My neighbor is a great guy and he is turning 50. His wife invited Mrs. Slidebite and I over for a party they are hosting in a couple weeks. He is a very smart guy but lacks a lot of tools (and tool-sense).

I lend him stuff fairly often, but it's not always the same thing. Things like my power rake attachment for the lawnmower, sledge hammer, 12" long 3/8 drill bit, test light, snake, etc. I'd like something sort of unique that "most" non-tool guys would never buy themselves but at the same time is very handy. He does have the basic hand tools. Stuff like 3/8 ratchet set (which would be adequate for jobs he would tackle) and screw driver and wrench set. I also think the odd thing like a multi-meter and crimp ends. I thought of a little 5 gal compressor set, but I don't know how often he'd actually use it... but it's probably still my front runner.

Ideas? Probably like to keep it around the $50-ish range (maybe up to $100 if it is really worth while).

Homeowner, RV owner, typical upper middle class dude.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-85-610-10-Inch-MaxGrip-Adjustable/dp/B00009OYGZ for the first thing. Hell, every single person who sees mine says "holy poo poo! where did you get that?!"

I can't think of anything else off the top of my head, but I firmly believe that everyone should own one of those.

Maybe an assortment of quality crimp terminals and http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-85-610-10-Inch-MaxGrip-Adjustable/dp/B00009OYGZ? A quality crimper like that is worth its weight in gold, most people (including me, previously) don't trust crimp terminals because they're used to mashing them with a pair of pliers or a $7 stamped sheetmetal crimper and using crap terminals.

kastein fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Apr 13, 2013

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Nobody has ever said, "yeah, I totally regret picking up a set of flexible head Gear Wrenches" ever.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
Let me be the first, then, to say I totally regret picking up a set of flexible head Gear Wrenches. I wish I'd have gotten the non-flexible head ones. The heads keep bending away when I try to put pressure on it. The straight SAE set I have is so much better than my flex-head metric set.

kastein posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-85-610-10-Inch-MaxGrip-Adjustable/dp/B00009OYGZ for the first thing. Hell, every single person who sees mine says "holy poo poo! where did you get that?!"
I've got one of those- damned thing's awesome.

grover fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Apr 13, 2013

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Here are some tools I never would have splurged on initially, but now can't live without:

- GOOD crescent wrenches, like this locking one or nice Stanley one. I made do with cheapo crescent wrenches that could never hold their position and it infuriated me to no end. With a couple good ones now I rarely need my wrench set.

- Ratcheting wrenches, like these GearWrench brand ones. I thought these were just unnecessary and expensive junk, but after using a few from a friend I was converted. For working on cars these are great because you can really jam them up into tight and uncomfortable spots and ratchet out a nut in seconds.

- Head lamp. It's a cheap no brainer purchase that makes working on stuff so much easier when you have two hands free.

- Extendible ratchet. This is a fantastic ratchet for the price. The action is really smooth, having both 3/8" and 1/4" heads is handy (no more fumbling for stupid tiny adapters), and the extension gives a nice amount of torque when you need it. This is the ratchet I reach for when working on cars.

- Wobble extensions. These are a million times more useful than u-joint adapters in my experience. You get just enough play to get into almost any tight spot, but don't have your socket flopping around everywhere.

If somebody would have given me those tools when I first started working on cars, it would have saved hours of cursing and busted knuckles.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Oh yeah, Adam Savage recently did a nice podcast on essential tools. Lots of good advice on stuff to cut, glue, fasten, etc.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nprbd76FFFI

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

grover posted:

Let me be the first, then, to say I totally regret picking up a set of flexible head Gear Wrenches. I wish I'd have gotten the non-flexible head ones. The heads keep bending away when I try to put pressure on it. The straight SAE set I have is so much better than my flex-head metric set.
I've got one of those- damned thing's awesome.

I got both so I'd be set. :smug:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

grover posted:

Yeah, but you're wrong about everything so the point still stands.

VVV - Good crimpers and strippers are always worth it.

Phone fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Apr 13, 2013

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010

Phone posted:

Yeah, but you're wrong about everything so the point still stands.

Im not allowed to just post "This.", so heres a link to a tool I was very happy with and is well worth the money:

http://www.harborfreight.com/ratcheting-crimping-tool-97420.html

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

kastein posted:

Actually, that is pretty cool. Not so sure he'd use it, but I know I would :v:

Ratcheting wrenches. I use mine all the time. He probably just hasn't been introduced to the handiness that they are. That's a good idea too.

Thanks guys, any more keep them coming :)

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Anyone know where I can get a 12-point Multi-Point driver? VW head gasket bolts...

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I think I got mine at Atuozone. Otherwise, ECS Tuning has some...

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night

Uthor posted:

I think I got mine at Atuozone. Otherwise, ECS Tuning has some...

Autozone and Advanced both only had 6 point Torx.. hmm.. off to Sears. Apparently Torx 55 should work.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

Polish posted:

Autozone and Advanced both only had 6 point Torx.. hmm.. off to Sears. Apparently Torx 55 should work.

Advance has it. But most employees don't know what/where it is. Part number AC835.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/we...point+autocraft

bung
Dec 14, 2004

I finally go a chance to try out the welder. I just put a small bead on an old wrench that was laying on the workbench just to make sure everything works. This was my first time to ever weld and I must say that I couldn't imagine ever welding with a non-darkening hood. For a $90 hood it works very well. The only odd thing is that it doesn't play nice with the fluorescent lights in the garage as they caused the hood to darken.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

bung posted:

I finally go a chance to try out the welder. I just put a small bead on an old wrench that was laying on the workbench just to make sure everything works. This was my first time to ever weld and I must say that I couldn't imagine ever welding with a non-darkening hood. For a $90 hood it works very well. The only odd thing is that it doesn't play nice with the fluorescent lights in the garage as they caused the hood to darken.

Yeah, I have to use halogen lighting on the welding bench instead of a CFL droplight, thanks to the hood's sensors. It only flips out if the bulb is directly in view, so the fluorescent lights on the ceiling don't bother it.

And autodarkening helmets are the loving best thing ever invented. Nothing like actually being able to SEE what you are doing as you start doing it...

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Phone posted:

Nobody has ever said, "yeah, I totally regret picking up a set of locking flexible head Gear Wrenches" ever.

Fixed that for you. The non-lockers are frankly a bag of poo poo for a lot of jobs.

dyne
May 9, 2003
[blank]

Splizwarf posted:

Fixed that for you. The non-lockers are frankly a bag of poo poo for a lot of jobs.
You guys know you can tighten them.....right? Mine are nice and stiff and take a little effort to flex.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

dyne posted:

You guys know you can tighten them.....right? Mine are nice and stiff and take a little effort to flex.
Mine can't be tightened, it's just a rivet; it's stiff enough to hold it where you put it, but flexes away when you put pressure on it to keep it put. I have to use a 2nd hand to hold it on the nut/bolt, which is at best a pain, and at worst, not possible. If my flex head set locked, they'd be awesome.

My SAE straight set is craftsman; my flex-head metrix set is Pittsburg. No complaints aside from the flex head not locking.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

bung posted:

This was my first time to ever weld and I must say that I couldn't imagine ever welding with a non-darkening hood.

Because it's your first time welding and you've not used a regular hood before.

It's not that hard. In fact, once you learn the right head flip you don't have to touch it to flip it down. I've used auto-darkening hoods and yeah...they're nice. But not nice enough for me to replace my regular hood.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

dyne posted:

I didn't, the ones I've used have been loaners. I own lockers, so I didn't look too deeply into the matter. How are they tightened?

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Motronic posted:

Because it's your first time welding and you've not used a regular hood before.

It's not that hard. In fact, once you learn the right head flip you don't have to touch it to flip it down. I've used auto-darkening hoods and yeah...they're nice. But not nice enough for me to replace my regular hood.

Headband design issue aside, I really like my auto darkening mask. When I got my MIG I discovered my normal one for arc welding was way too dark, so I decided to get an auto one as I needed to buy another one anyway. I'd used one before for MIG elsewhere and liked it.

dyne
May 9, 2003
[blank]

Splizwarf posted:

I didn't, the ones I've used have been loaners. I own lockers, so I didn't look too deeply into the matter. How are they tightened?

My gearwrench set uses a small hex socket head screw at the pivot

reddeathdrinker
Aug 5, 2003

Scotland the What?

Polish posted:

6 point Torx 55 works just fine - did my Skoda head gasket last week with one...

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

dyne posted:

My gearwrench set uses a small hex socket head screw at the pivot

I wonder what happens if I tighten that screw on my locking ones? I didn't think it was more than a wrist pin. It would be rad if they were a little less floppy.

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

What fun is a project if it doesn't at least slightly ruin your life?
So, in case you all were curious, I ended up getting the craftsman Digi-tork 1/2 wrench. It's 25-250 ft/lbs which is nice and versatile, and thanks to being a !Craftsman Club! member, I got an additional $20 off ($80 instead of retail $120) which I spent $15 of on a 3-year warranty (instead of the pathetic 90-day one).

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
Could someone give me an idea on how good of a deal this is: http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/tls/3742411808.html

I don't currently have a compressor or any air tools, and all of my car work is done in my single-stall apartment garage. A good compressor and tools are something I want to get at some point, though.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I'd be astonished if that weren't a 240 volt compressor, so it's probably not going to be of much use to you.

Also, you hardly need something that big to run air tools for your own purposes. It would be great to have, but you can definitely get away with something much smaller.

Also, that's a fairly cheaply made compressor and can be had for $500 new: http://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/magna-force-60-gal-vertical-air-compressor/0000000069119

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
hahahaha, did that guy seriously list the compressor for 150 over new price?

Well, I guess it is still on the pallet, and he does have to deal with a bunch of low balling idiots on CL, so jacking the price up a bit to start is somewhat understandable. It also appears to include some air ratchets and impact wrenches.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's not "new on pallet" though, he's used it enough to need to replace parts (with high quality parts! Thousands invested!). The value over the $500 is more likely in the two air guns and two air ratchets included in the deal.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Splizwarf posted:

It's not "new on pallet" though, he's used it enough to need to replace parts (with high quality parts! Thousands invested!). The value over the $500 is more likely in the two air guns and two air ratchets included in the deal.

If his taste in compressors is the same as his taste in air tools they are probably $150 new for the pair.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
You're right. One's a Campbell Hausfeld, which upon Googling I said out loud "holy poo poo, what" because I had no idea you could get even a worthless air wrench for under $40 25 loving dollars new. I bet that tool is highly effective.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
A somewhat related question, is there any small, portable compressor worth a drat that can power air tools like a 1/2" impact? Something you could transport in the back of a car and run in a garage without deafening yourself. I imagine it's a pipe dream but am curious.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

mod sassinator posted:

A somewhat related question, is there any small, portable compressor worth a drat that can power air tools like a 1/2" impact? Something you could transport in the back of a car and run in a garage without deafening yourself. I imagine it's a pipe dream but am curious.

Something like this works just fine.

Yeah, you're gonna have to wait a bit if you want to take off all 4 wheels like you're doing a pit stop, but it will work fine for almost all home type situations. Other than painting a whole car or 3/4" drive and larger stuff.

If you can find an older one (early 90s) they have 2.5 HP motors or larger on them and work much better. I'd pay the same price as a new one for an old one in good shape.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
Hah, yeah. Looking at some of the other pictures, the plate on it even says 230V. Oh well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert

Motronic posted:

Something like this works just fine.

Yeah, you're gonna have to wait a bit if you want to take off all 4 wheels like you're doing a pit stop, but it will work fine for almost all home type situations. Other than painting a whole car or 3/4" drive and larger stuff.

If you can find an older one (early 90s) they have 2.5 HP motors or larger on them and work much better. I'd pay the same price as a new one for an old one in good shape.

I have the craftsman 3 gallon one and it works great for exactly that. You wont be sanding or painting with it, but basic air tool stuff is fine