Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZeroDays
Feb 11, 2007

the fuck you know about what i need on my mind mother fucker

icebeam! posted:

Excuses for him? All this thread is is people whining about him/nodding their heads in agreement that he's stupid. I kind of stopped listening a while back, but still check the thread randomly. I'm confused as to why most people who post in this thread even listen to the podcast?

I have 8 hours a day to fill in my boring office job. I need to break up the audiobooks and music with podcasts. Besides, stupidity is often entertaining, as is complaining, such as in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
Rogan talking about privatizing everything early in the Diaz podcast was really cringe-worthy.

Birthday Cake
Feb 12, 2008

Tom, this is "Mayor's Fun Money." You can use it anywhere.

icebeam! posted:

Excuses for him? All this thread is is people whining about him/nodding their heads in agreement that he's stupid. I kind of stopped listening a while back, but still check the thread randomly. I'm confused as to why most people who post in this thread even listen to the podcast?

familiarity breeds contempt

Unrelated: "If everyone in this room can get along, then everyone in the world can definitely get along." Diaz didn't buy that for one second.

Tim Selaty Jr
May 16, 2011

by Pipski

icebeam! posted:

I'm confused as to why most people who post in this thread even listen to the podcast?

"You know what's terrorism, dog? Subway sandwiches."

diesiel
Aug 11, 2012

ZeroDays posted:

He doesn't have to answer your questions.

Anyone notice that when other comedians or podcast guests in general refer to Rogan, they always describe him as really smart and well-read? It's in complete contrast to this thread which makes him out to be a simpleton.

Maybe we just don't give him enough credit for how loud he says things.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

icebeam! posted:

I'm confused as to why most people who post in this thread even listen to the podcast?

Because there's a lot of content and guests worth listening to. Just recently there's been Bas, Jimmy Smith, Enson etc shooting the poo poo with Joe about MMA, you've got some decent comedians like Ben Hoffman, a drunk Shane Smith, Joey Diaz's stories are always hilarious. In those podcasts there's typically only about 10 minutes of cringe worthy bullshit about Ron Paul or feminists or whatever the silk dragon shirt and fedora reddit crowd has decided to feel victimised about this week.

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!
I like how theres some sort of rivarly between Rogan's crew and the UCBers. When they speak about Joe on podcasts they often condescend so I lol because he totally deserves it for being a dumb unfunny guy and they really do come off as stuck up assholes like how he's often described them. Everyone is an rear end in a top hat and I enjoy it.

I think the people who toe the line like Nick Thune and Doug Benson would have the best insight. unfortunately I guess part of toeing the line is never talking about it.

FreddyJackieTurner
May 15, 2008

I wonder who usually taps who out when Joe and Eddie roll...

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
Ultimately, I bet that weed taps them both out.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

JohnsonsJohnson posted:

I wonder who usually taps who out when Joe and Eddie roll...

Joe Rogan's bottom game is, by all accounts, not amazing, and since Eddie Bravo is all about the guard and has a decade of experience over Rogan, I imagine their serious rolls are very one sided.

e; Eddie's often late to his own classes because he's out in the parking lot smoking weed and talking poo poo, so I don't think the weed impairs him directly as much as it does the development of his students~

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Apr 16, 2013

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3
I'm getting caught up on older podcasts and am about halfway through the one with The Disclosure Project guy. Has anyone done any serious debunking of the crap he's talking about in the episode? I'd love to believe that even a tenth of what he was saying had some basis in fact, but he sounds so much like some of the other psuedo-science goofballs that I just can't do it. I figured 75% of his wikipedia page would be a list of people explaining how full of poo poo he is, but that wasn't the case.

Also dare I ask what Rogan has said about the Boston Marathon? I'm hoping that at least he's not gone the Sandy Hook route with it so far.

Mazzagatti2Hotty fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Apr 18, 2013

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Mazzagatti2Hotty posted:

I'm getting caught up on older podcasts and am about halfway through the one with The Disclosure Project guy. Has anyone done any serious debunking of the crap he's talking about in the episode? I'd love to believe that even a tenth of what he was saying had some basis in fact, but he sounds so much like some of the other psuedo-science goofballs that I just can't do it. I figured 75% of his wikipedia page would be a list of people explaining how full of poo poo he is, but that wasn't the case.

Also dare I ask what Rogan has said about the Boston Marathon? I'm hoping that at least he's not gone the Sandy Hook route with it so far.

What annoyed me about that guy is that he is so certain that what he says is fact. He completely believes what he is saying. The guy is delusional.

But can you image..if what he is saying is true :tinfoil:

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

Mazzagatti2Hotty posted:

Nah he's pretty respectful, as far as I can tell. Greg Fitzsimmons was with him, he came up with Joe in Boston and helped temper the tone.

They did get into some sweet JFK conspiracies though, they're both on board for that.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXThftiKFM0

Birthday Cake
Feb 12, 2008

I tried listening to the lasest ice house (65)

I start it out, and joe's talking about feminists. Ok whatever, fast forward. More feminist talk, fast forward. I eventually fast forwarded to AN HOUR AND A HALF and he was still talking about feminists.

I had to turn it off. He's his own worst PR man.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
What did he say about the ol' feminists?

Birthday Cake
Feb 12, 2008

jyrka posted:

What did he say about the ol' feminists?

The same stuff he's been saying for the past 3 or 4 podcasts. Trying to save face for all this twitter trouble he's gotten into lately.

Tim Selaty Jr
May 16, 2011

by Pipski

Birthday Cake posted:

The same stuff he's been saying for the past 3 or 4 podcasts. Trying to save face for all this twitter trouble he's gotten into lately.

So "it's hard for me to condense my opinions into just 140 characters and people are going to overreact to a tweet when it's clearly obviously a joke. Anyway, feminists are unnatural gender traitors because..."?

Birthday Cake
Feb 12, 2008

Pretty much, just for an hour and a half.

On a more positive note, GSP on tuesday.

Stabbing Spork
Apr 9, 2006

Birthday Cake posted:

On a more positive note, GSP on tuesday.

This was a good podcast if you're a GSP fan. You get to hear him talk about defending himself from an alien abduction using his Katana.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

Stabbing Spork posted:

This was a good podcast if you're a GSP fan. You get to hear him talk about defending himself from an alien abduction using his Katana.

This is a lot less silly than spork is making it out to be. GSP seems like a cool dude and I respect him as a fighter but I don't think this podcast is for him. He is way too cagey about stuff, very likely due to the fact that he's being very prudent about not speaking out of turn regarding his career or the stuff with Diaz.

diesiel
Aug 11, 2012
He's gotta protect his brand, bros.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

diesiel posted:

He's gotta protect his brand, bros.

Passive income, man.

The latest podcast with Tom Segura was going to be awesome in itself, but Bert Kreischer and Joey Diaz show up after about twenty minutes and it owns owns owns.

Does it surprise anybody that Redban was suckered into a time share?

-Atom- fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Apr 26, 2013

Tim Selaty Jr
May 16, 2011

by Pipski
"Who is Kumail Nanjiani?" -- Joe Rogan, self-declared standup comedy fan

I have a feeling that any of the standups who have broken into the mainstream in the past couple of years like Kumail, Eugene Mirman, Kristen Schaal, Kurt Braunohler and any other associated acts who do kinda surrealist humor are completely unknown by Joe.

Joe Rogan is basically the little girl in Kristen Schaal's new special

Tim Selaty Jr fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Apr 28, 2013

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
It's probably just that those guys are all from the alt scene and Joe only hangs out at clubs

Joey Donuts
Feb 19, 2004

My code word will be: Endurance.

Tim Selaty Jr posted:

"Who is Kumail Nanjiani?" -- Joe Rogan, self-declared standup comedy fan

I have a feeling that any of the standups who have broken into the mainstream in the past couple of years like Kumail, Eugene Mirman, Kristen Schaal, Kurt Braunohler and any other associated acts who do kinda surrealist humor are completely unknown by Joe.

Joe Rogan is basically the little girl in Kristen Schaal's new special

While this is basically a Rogan-bashing thread at this point and I don't really have a problem with that, calling out someone for not knowing everything about everything is a bit hipstery. I bet there are a ton of self-declared standup comedy fans who don't know all the comedians and even miss some up-and-comers, who cares?

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes

Joey Donuts posted:

While this is basically a Rogan-bashing thread at this point and I don't really have a problem with that, calling out someone for not knowing everything about everything is a bit hipstery. I bet there are a ton of self-declared standup comedy fans who don't know all the comedians and even miss some up-and-comers, who cares?

I agree. On the topic of that some website has a loving annoying slideshow of 50 comedians you should know. See if you know all of them! I didn't know a whole 18.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
I don't know like 40 of them. Amy Schumer seems out of place in a "comics you don't know" list.

Also I think people really embellish how popular or well-known some comics are. I'm pretty sure like 99% of all comics nobody gives a gently caress about until they're in a massive Hollywood film or crossover some other way. Of course Joe Rogan isn't going to know all of them.

Law Cheetah posted:

It's probably just that those guys are all from the alt scene and Joe only hangs out at clubs

This was also a great point.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
I'd never heard of Kumail Nanjiani until I saw him on the Jeselnik Offensive. Even then I didn't know him by name.

I was underwhelmed by the GSP podcast. 1 hour with GSP and it was just some vague stuff about aliens, a book on positive visualisation or something and a little on GSP's training.

ZeroDays
Feb 11, 2007

If I didn't listen to the JRE I could name maybe 6 or 7 comics, mostly british, NONE of which include Rogan's circle. Actually, not even Rogan, as I'd never heard of Fear Factor, have no interest in MMA, and only listened to the JRE 'cos it was ranked high on iTunes. I'm obviously not a (standup)comedy fan.

Tim Selaty Jr
May 16, 2011

by Pipski

Law Cheetah posted:

I still don't know what alt comedy is after hearing Joe bitch about it for 2 years :confused:

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
I think he was recently talking about David Cross as the person whom he considers the founder of alt comedy. He was talking to Greg Fitzsimmons about this and he talked about Cross going on stage not giving a gently caress and just stretching to a workout video and talking about how he was really feeling the burn. He contrasted Cross, whom he thinks was completely fearless about doing his own thing but in a very entertaining way, to Andy Kaufman who "just would do weird things that were not entertaining."

The example Joe used for Kaufman not being entertaining was Kaufman getting on stage for 20 minutes with a sleeping bag and just pretending to sleep. He said that may be awesome for the performer but there is nothing in it for the audience, and his main issue with this was the audience payed to come see you, thus you need to deliver.

At least I think it was Joe who had talked about this. I may be mixing comedian podcasters in my mind.

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Apr 30, 2013

Peter North
Apr 23, 2003

redban posted:

Hey, so there is this snobby underground forum for comics called "aspecialthing.com".. comedians like Louick hang there, and every year they have this vote for the best comedian of the year.. every year the same group of comedians win.. this year a few west coast comedians asked me to help them shake the vote up a little.. the members of this messege board, and website pretty much hate most talent and continue to suck a small group of alternative comedians cocks.

So its real easy.. lets get norton, rogan, burr, or ANYONE ELSE in there.. instead of david cross for 5th time.

A little backstory: Joe and Brian have a pretty longstanding feud with the underground alt comedy snobs of aspecialthing.com. This is old, old, old. From 2006. But basically when Joe refers to "alt comedy", this is what he means. They don't associate with anyone from that camp and never have. It's no secret that Tom Scharpling absolutely hates Rogan. I think a bunch of the guys over there not liking The Amazing Racist had something to do with it as well. Now there's a lot more overlap with mutual friends, but for the most part none of the big players really interact with another. Yeah, comedians are cliquish children, big surprise.

Hell, if you want a real shock, you should check out how Joe and the rest of his forum reacts to goon hero Paul F. Tompkins riffing on combat sports! I don't think I've ever seen anyone post that they thought PFT was unfunny here as long as this forum has existed. It's like stepping into a completely different world.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I was listening to Bert's podcast last night and he was saying he and Paul F. Tompkins don't like each. If that's the case, I'm siding with Bert. His laugh alone is enough to reduce me to tears.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Helical Nightmares posted:

The example Joe used for Kaufman not being entertaining was Kaufman getting on stage for 20 minutes with a sleeping bag and just pretending to sleep. He said that may be awesome for the performer but there is nothing in it for the audience, and his main issue with this was the audience payed to come see you, thus you need to deliver.

At least I think it was Joe who had talked about this. I may be mixing comedian podcasters in my mind.

Yeah, that was Greg.

Real good podcast as well. I love me some Fitzdog!

Tim Selaty Jr
May 16, 2011

by Pipski

XIII posted:

I was listening to Bert's podcast last night and he was saying he and Paul F. Tompkins don't like each. If that's the case, I'm siding with Bert. His laugh alone is enough to reduce me to tears.

His high-pitched babble-giggling can win over the hearts and minds of entire nations :allears:

ZeroDays
Feb 11, 2007

Have to throw throw this Bill Burr rant in, it starts on nerds and develops into his absolute disdain for alt comedy. Pretty sure he went into an even more vitriolic rant on someone elses podcast, can't remember though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CQmzbmV7j0

Tim Selaty Jr
May 16, 2011

by Pipski
Comprehensive list of reasons why Bill Burr thinks alt-comedy is bad

- The crowds aren't full of assholes and wear skinny and/or loose jeans
- The comics are too nice and don't make jokes about airplane food
- Alt-comics go on before club comics at comedy festivals which is bad because I guess that makes Bill Burr's unique takes on being mad at customer service and arguing with girlfriends less funny or something?

This seems like a well-reasoned opinion by somebody who isn't irrationally upset at the success of other people.

Edit: Also his analogy that some day a comic from the mainstream is going to come up and just smash everybody's perception of alt-comedy ala Nirvana is hilarious but for none of the reasons that he thinks it might be

Tim Selaty Jr fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Apr 30, 2013

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

ZeroDays posted:

Have to throw throw this Bill Burr rant in, it starts on nerds and develops into his absolute disdain for alt comedy. Pretty sure he went into an even more vitriolic rant on someone elses podcast, can't remember though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CQmzbmV7j0

That in depth alt rant was on his appearance of You Made it Weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

Tim Selaty Jr posted:

Comprehensive list of reasons why Bill Burr thinks alt-comedy is bad

- The crowds aren't full of assholes and wear skinny and/or loose jeans
- The comics are too nice and don't make jokes about airplane food
- Alt-comics go on before club comics at comedy festivals which is bad because I guess that makes Bill Burr's unique takes on being mad at customer service and arguing with girlfriends less funny or something?

This seems like a well-reasoned opinion by somebody who isn't irrationally upset at the success of other people.

Edit: Also his analogy that some day a comic from the mainstream is going to come up and just smash everybody's perception of alt-comedy ala Nirvana is hilarious but for none of the reasons that he thinks it might be

Did you listen to the same clip I just did? You're getting what he said completely twisted.

1. He's saying the crowds are super specialized and specific and it makes the job of making people laugh way easier. I've heard Marc Maron complain about a similar thing - he phrased it like "comics performing for comics"
2. what?
3. This is some inside comedy poo poo. The earlier spots are supposed to be easier, except for the guy who goes first. I don't know why exactly, you'd have to ask someone who performs.

His point gets kind of buried in the dumb anti-nerd rant I guess

Law Cheetah fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Apr 30, 2013