Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
I'm planing on saving at least a third (ideally half) of my paycheck into a savings account and only breaking into that account for a major purchase, such as a down payment or bills. I won't do anything right now until I see my first paycheck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit

juche mane posted:

Apply for deferment or forbearance. Now.

Do this. Do it immediately. You are in no position to begin paying back your student loans.

the runs formula
Feb 23, 2013

by Lowtax
Also because you are now a Job Haver, your brother and probably parents are gonna begin seeing you with dollar bills all over your face. Perhaps your parents won't try to take advantage of your new found wealth, but don't let your brother con or guilt trip you into buying stupid poo poo for him.

PurePerfection
Nov 28, 2007

cda posted:

Do this. Do it immediately. You are in no position to begin paying back your student loans.

If you do this, make sure you keep in mind that you don't have unlimited opportunities to defer loans or request forbearance. For federal loans, you can typically defer for up to three years due to economic hardship, and you can have up to 12 months of forbearance over the life of the loan.

If the payments are small enough that you can afford them with your new job and still start saving, it may not be the best idea to use up those options while you're employed, have relatively few expenses, and still have the safety net of living at home. If you put off your payments now and a few years down the road, you've moved away to your own place and find yourself unemployed, you won't have as many remedies available to you and the stakes will higher.

Of course, if the payments are so large that they'll eat up most of your earnings each month, that's a different story. In that case, though, it may still be better to pursue a temporary reduction in monthly payment amount than to use up your forbearance immediately.

Regarding your familial obligations as a new official Job Haver, figure out how much money you'll be able to contribute to household expenses after paying student loans and putting a decent amount away in savings, then sit down with your parents and see what their expectations for you are. I really think that in your case, it would be better to negotiate a modest monthly rent amount than to be unexpectedly hit up for cash later on.

EDIT:

razz posted:

Also look into Income-Based Repayment (http://www.ibrinfo.org/). It's a program that prevents you from going destitute from student loans by capping your monthly payments as a percentage of your gross income.

Yes, this.

PurePerfection fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Apr 11, 2013

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

cda posted:

Also look into Income-Based Repayment (http://www.ibrinfo.org/). It's a program that prevents you from going destitute from student loans by capping your monthly payments as a percentage of your gross income.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
I'm here on campus right now. I'll leave in a bit to show up to work on time. I'm here to handle a few things. First I've got myself an alumni email address for life. It'll look very nice on my resume. I'm still using my school email and it's still good until next month. Second I went straight to the financial aid office to ask about deferring my payments and an income based payment. The office is only a middleman, but they did refer me to the National Student Loan Data System. I'm going to call them soon and get a hold of someone. I'd much rather have someone to talk to about my payments instead of navigating a webpage. I also stopped by the Peace Corps presentation for some free pizza and information. I've got a pamphlet on me and I'll read it soon.

Now as for the discussion about juggling two part time jobs with the grill and the Hollister, I'm going to wait until I get a call from Hollister before I make any decision. And so I can ask questions about the position like pay, when's payroll, etc.

BigGayLogan
Feb 19, 2011

Quit moeing around like that, uguu~?

Benny the Snake posted:

Now as for the discussion about juggling two part time jobs with the grill and the Hollister, I'm going to wait until I get a call from Hollister before I make any decision. And so I can ask questions about the position like pay, when's payroll, etc.

Congrats on finally landing a job, Benny! Since you're only working part time on the weekends, I would take the Hollister job as well if they hire you. However, I would avoid talking about anything money-related until after you are officially hired, and even then your boss should tell you what your starting pay will be and any payroll information should be in your employee handbook. And as others have said, you can't really negotiate pay for an entry-level retail job. Just do your best, and with time you may eventually see a raise and/or promotion :)

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
My job is going well. For the past couple of days, I've been closing. It's not hard work, but at the same time I'm working slow. Of course, I've been out of work for so long I'm rusty. But it's a bit discontenting to see other employees out-pace me. Really most of it is figuring out where things go and how they want things done. I can say with confidence that I'm doing the best I can. I was scheduled to cover for the closing guy tonight and tomorrow. But my boss called me and said the other guy changed plans and I'm not to show up. He said he'd text me back with a schedule on Monday. I'm starting to get worried, even paranoid now. Did I do bad? Is he going to call me? What did I do wrong? I don't like second-guessing myself, it keeps the wheels in my head spinning :cripes:

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Apr 14, 2013

Helena Handbasket
Feb 11, 2006
It's been a while since I worked food service, but it might not mean anything other than that you're the lowest-priority employee to give shifts to right now. Once you've been around longer and are established as efficient and reliable, managers are more likely to reward that with shifts. Right now they're prioritizing/rewarding the other guy.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Yeah, a lot of my friends who worked in food service at one point or another would talk about people getting shifts dropped or sent home early if the customer level didn't warrant needing all the scheduled staff.

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax

Benny the Snake posted:

My job is going well. For the past couple of days, I've been closing. It's not hard work, but at the same time I'm working slow. Of course, I've been out of work for so long I'm rusty. But it's a bit discontenting to see other employees out-pace me. Really most of it is figuring out where things go and how they want things done. I can say with confidence that I'm doing the best I can. I was scheduled to cover for the closing guy tonight and tomorrow. But my boss called me and said the other guy changed plans and I'm not to show up. He said he'd text me back with a schedule on Monday. I'm starting to get worried, even paranoid now. Did I do bad? Is he going to call me? What did I do wrong? I don't like second-guessing myself, it keeps the wheels in my head spinning :cripes:

As others have said it is most likely nothing. A few quick questions though, the boss that said you would get a schedule Monday, etc... Is this a shift lead or the hire/fire folks boss? I ask because the hire/fire level boss likely wouldn't be jerking you around and would have dumped you already if that's going to be the case.

Why does he need to text you the schedule? Is it not posted somewhere in advance? Did he have to make massive sudden changes? Maybe I'm too used to the "professional" world but a place that gives you your schedule on the day that week starts sets off my "acting shady" alarms.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Dr. Lariat posted:

As others have said it is most likely nothing. A few quick questions though, the boss that said you would get a schedule Monday, etc... Is this a shift lead or the hire/fire folks boss? I ask because the hire/fire level boss likely wouldn't be jerking you around and would have dumped you already if that's going to be the case.

Why does he need to text you the schedule? Is it not posted somewhere in advance? Did he have to make massive sudden changes? Maybe I'm too used to the "professional" world but a place that gives you your schedule on the day that week starts sets off my "acting shady" alarms.
No the manager is the owner of the restaurant. He said he'd call me Monday to give me hours. Again, I was to cover for Cesar, who handles closing. I shadowed him Thursday and Friday so I could cover for him Saturday and Sunday when he'd have off. Apparently, there was a change of plans.

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax
Ahh, if he's an owner manager type it's safer to say he's a bit flighty and trying to do to much himself which would explain the scheduling thing. If he was actually looking to let you go I doubt he'd have put it off like this. I know I've sent some crap your way over the course of the thread but this could be a decent breakthrough for you. Keeping up can be hard at first but kitchens are crazy places until you get used to it again. Do your best to keep up as you've been doing and try to stay out of folks' way while not being the source of any major line stalls and you should do fine there till your finances are in order and it's time to move along to bigger and better things.

vvv Yea, I didn't mean shady in an illegal activities sense but more in the sense of reliable. The type of place that schedules on the fly is the kind of place with an unusually high turnover rate.vvv

Dr. Lariat fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Apr 15, 2013

Maud Moonshine
Nov 6, 2010

Dr. Lariat posted:

Eh. My shop used to do this and while it was far from the most organised place I've ever worked, I don't think they were doing anything shady. It was mostly a product of only having one office girl so if she got busy or they wanted her on the shop floor the schedule would just get left later and later in the week. I was lucky (sort of) in that I worked Saturday and the week started on Sunday so the new schedule had to be up by then so I never had to call to ask when I was working, but I know other people did.

PurePerfection
Nov 28, 2007

Dr. Lariat posted:

This is why I think it'd be a good idea to simultaneously pursue those retail jobs like Hollister / American Eagle (and even to keep applying and interviewing if those two don't come through). Retail jobs still try to call you in last minute, and you're not going to work the same exact hours each week, but they'll probably be a lot more organized, and you'll see plenty of hours even when you first join the team / are still a trainee.

That said, it's probably worse for you now than it is for the veteran employees, but small businesses like this, especially restaurants, aren't good about giving regular hours or advance notice. Since you're the new guy and you can't do much unsupervised yet, you're not the first one on his list to call when a shift opens up. Other people pretty much have to be around to make sure you don't gently caress up, but if you're giving it your best, eventually he'll start trusting you with more shifts and less supervision.

reflex
Aug 9, 2009

I'd rather laugh with the mudders than cry with the saints. The mudders are much more fun. Hoorah.

Dr. Lariat posted:

Maybe I'm too used to the "professional" world but a place that gives you your schedule on the day that week starts sets off my "acting shady" alarms.

When I worked retail, my boss would post the schedule, which starts on the Sundays, Saturday night at about 8. So oftentimes I would get 12 hours notice that I have to be in Sunday at 8am.

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax

reflex posted:

When I worked retail, my boss would post the schedule, which starts on the Sundays, Saturday night at about 8. So oftentimes I would get 12 hours notice that I have to be in Sunday at 8am.

Not to derail too much more but I ran a blockbuster video for 6 years, maybe in a rare event where somebody quit or got fired and I had to redo a schedule on short notice would I pull something like that. Outside of crazy events like that I always made sure to give everyone at least a weeks heads up on schedules. I know this stuff happens but in my experience running a business like that is a great way to inspire consistent attendance issues.

Hyzenth1ay
Oct 24, 2008
Congratulations on the job, Benny!

Working two part-time jobs can actually be kind of fun - you get to interact with totally different people in your jobs. Also, since part of your life is now a Mexican kitchen with folks who are likely Spanish-speakers, try to keep your ears open and pick up the language. I will never forget the look of awe I got from both clueless manager and frustrated kitchen worker at my fast food job when I translated "write down your last name". Seriously. A tiny smattering of espanol can be a great thing. And if you need help with from-Spain curses (rather than from-Mexico), I can help.

I've hired about 500 or so folks in my time. While I'm hiring for engineering positions now, making rather a nice living, I didn't start out his way. I have worked fast food, busgirl, catering, dining halls, and corporate cafeterias. Nobody is "too good" for poo poo.

And on that note, about being over-qualified for a McJob, I would say this:

You can lie down, but never lie up.

Leaving off your four years of college for a better chance at a McJob is fine. Need to explain a gap? "I was traveling with my brother." "I was taking classes at the community college and working on a novel." "I had to take care of my grandfather for a few years." If you're confident enough to sell it without it being A Thing, you can just say "family issues" and leave it at that. Heavily imply that it wasn't your issue, of course.

Each of those shows something positive without being immediately verifiable. Take a piece of truth and expand it, rather than outright lying. Did you go to a few Grateful Dead shows (oh gently caress I'm old)? That can turn into spending a year studying music.

But never lie upwards. As posters have already said, saying "I don't know yet but I will know by this time tomorrow" is a good idea.

Grandpas a Racist
Mar 26, 2007

by T. Finninho
Text your boss, ask him what's up. Nothing wrong with following up and it's better than worrying.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
I had to call my boss today since he hasn't called me. He told me this: "Because you don't have much kitchen experience, we're trying to figure out where to fit you in." Now how I'm taking it is "I don't want to spend the time to train you so I'm going to cut you loose soon."

So you know what I'm going to do? I'm going to call every day and ask if he has work for me. Either he's going to train me to be a cook or he's going to lay me off. I've got nothing to lose.

In the meanwhile, job fair on Thursday and I'm going up to the mall to hit up the Hollister, American Eagle, and Tilly's that I applied at to talk directly to the hiring managers. On top of filling out applications. I had something. Now I know what I have to do in order to find it again or hold on to what I have. I'm feeling optimistic.

Grandpas a Racist
Mar 26, 2007

by T. Finninho
Don't let him walk all over you. Tell him you feel ready and comfortable. Not sure if you should call everyday, (actually no, really don't), but call once, be assertive. Show you want this. That is all you can do. Also don't be discouraged, I mean, I part of me wishes we could strap a GoPro onto you and see how you manage to have such tough first days. I'm not necessarily saying it's your fault, but I'm not counting it out yet. Act confident! Laugh, be loose. OWN your station.

Arch Stanton
Nov 23, 2003
EYEBALLS AND TONGUES DON'T MIX EW EW EW EW EW

Benny the Snake posted:

Either he's going to train me to be a cook or he's going to lay me off.

Being a cook is highly demanding, physically and mentally exhausting work. If you couldn't keep up in back after the place stopped serving, and couldn't keep up in a job where your only duty is to put things into boxes, I don't think cook is going to be a good fit for you. You'll have a whole team shouting orders and changes and special requests at you for your entire shift and the entire flow of the restaurant will depend on you.

You're going to have to get a lot more comfortable with living totally outside your comfort zone to get on top of things and get out from under your living situation.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Benny the Snake posted:

I had to call my boss today since he hasn't called me. He told me this: "Because you don't have much kitchen experience, we're trying to figure out where to fit you in." Now how I'm taking it is "I don't want to spend the time to train you so I'm going to cut you loose soon."

So you know what I'm going to do? I'm going to call every day and ask if he has work for me. Either he's going to train me to be a cook or he's going to lay me off. I've got nothing to lose.

In the meanwhile, job fair on Thursday and I'm going up to the mall to hit up the Hollister, American Eagle, and Tilly's that I applied at to talk directly to the hiring managers. On top of filling out applications. I had something. Now I know what I have to do in order to find it again or hold on to what I have. I'm feeling optimistic.

That sucks dude.

How competent were you in the kitchen on the day you were there? How did you compare to the other folks?

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Sigma-X posted:

That sucks dude.

How competent were you in the kitchen on the day you were there? How did you compare to the other folks?
I think I got along fairly well with everybody else. To be fair, I accidentally smacked the owner's wife in the head with a tray, but I don't think that would've been the final straw. And as for cooking, well I did mostly prep work. I prepared a few tacos, I prepared salad, I even grilled zucchini. The head cook told me to use a towel to press it on the grill, but I used a spatula and tongs instead.

Arch Stanton
Nov 23, 2003
EYEBALLS AND TONGUES DON'T MIX EW EW EW EW EW
Redacted.

DamnitGannet
Apr 8, 2007

So you worked slow, hit the owners wife in the head with a tray, didn't follow the head chef's cooking instructions, and you still think you can get trained as a cook?

Oh Benny, I wish I had your optimism :allears:

the runs formula
Feb 23, 2013

by Lowtax

Benny the Snake posted:

I think I got along fairly well with everybody else. To be fair, I accidentally smacked the owner's wife in the head with a tray, but I don't think that would've been the final straw. And as for cooking, well I did mostly prep work. I prepared a few tacos, I prepared salad, I even grilled zucchini. The head cook told me to use a towel to press it on the grill, but I used a spatula and tongs instead.

"I didn't follow simple instructions on the first day and now they don't want me back. What gives?!"

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

DamnitGannet posted:

So you worked slow, hit the owners wife in the head with a tray, didn't follow the head chef's cooking instructions, and you still think you can get trained as a cook?

Oh Benny, I wish I had your optimism :allears:
I asked if I could use a spatula and tongs for the zucchini instead and the head chef said go ahead. Besides, it was a towel he was using. That's not very safe or sanitary-one wrong move and a fire could start.

EDIT: In hindsight, yeah that's probably why I wasn't put as a cook.

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Apr 16, 2013

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax
Hitting the owner's wife in the head with a tray sounds like one of those things that should be laughed off. Unless you really got her good, I can't imagine consequences going farther than routine ribbings from your co-workers.

How did it happen, anyway? Victim blaming can be acceptable in the restaurant industry. (Not that you should even consider blaming her.) If she is the restaurant owner's wife and has lots of experience in the restaurant, she should know better. (Depending on how it actually happened: Need more detail) Restaurant employees are well aware that you need to always keep your head up, and expect the unexpected. There were many times where I was bumped into/hit with stuff, because I failed to shout "Behind you!" or "On your left!"

Tell them you wanna bus tables, ASAP. Say you wanna learn the restaurant industry the proper way, by starting off as a bus boy.

It's not so bad, trust me. If I ever had to go back to the food industry, I'd only apply for busing positions. I've been a busser, server and host. Host probably retains the most dignity, however it's also the most boring/lowest paying position. Wait staff get paid depending on how busy their shift is, however they're basically the customer's bitch.

Bus boys get paid hourly on top of a tip percentage. If you're the only bus boy on, during a busy night and work quickly/efficiently, you'll make far more than the wait staff (even without factoring in hourly wage.)

The hardest part is learning to navigate around quickly/safely, while staying out of the way. Your job is literally to pick up anything dirty and get it out of sight as quickly and sneakily as possible.

Once you get past the initial disappointment of how loving disgusting the general public is, it becomes "Everyone is a goddamn cave-slob. Everyone will leave the worst mess possible. Any table which doesn't look like a city dump, by the end of the meal, is simply a bonus."

cname fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Apr 16, 2013

Grandpas a Racist
Mar 26, 2007

by T. Finninho
Well how hard did you hit the owner's wife in the head—just typing that out just made me realize how either absurdly unlucky you are, or how bumblingly incompetent you are/might seem to others.

Were you apologetic afterwards?

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
Oh my god, you cannot be this incompetent. You are the three stooges. All of them.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Grandpas a Racist posted:

Well how hard did you hit the owner's wife in the head—just typing that out just made me realize how either absurdly unlucky you are, or how bumblingly incompetent you are/might seem to others.

Were you apologetic afterwards?
Okay she was showing me how to layer two different kinds of lettuce so it could be mixed in a huge tray. Afterwards, she showed me where inside the walk-in fridge to put it. She's right next to me showing where to put it on the top shelf. So I lift it up and I end up smacking her upside the head with the bin by accident. I was extremely apologetic but she laughed it off and said it was okay.

By the way, this is a tiny restaurant. 40 person occupancy. So there's no waiting tables-customers pick up their orders from the counter. So no, busboy isn't a position. Register is, but what he really needed was a cook. And as I said earlier, I'm starting to think that my insistence in using tongs and a spatula instead of a towel to grill the zucchini was probably what cost me the cooking position. I should've set aside what wasn't considered safe or sanitary and just did it like the head cook said and now I blew it :cripes:

What should I do? Should I call him and say "Look, I know I didn't follow instructions all the way on my first day, but I learned my mistake and it won't happen again?" Or just call and ask for work?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Benny the Snake posted:

What should I do? Should I call him and say "Look, I know I didn't follow instructions all the way on my first day, but I learned my mistake and it won't happen again?" Or just call and ask for work?

Probably somewhere between those two options. Don't fall on your sword; everyone fucks up early on in a new job, everyone. (Not everyone brains the owner's wife with a tray, but on the upside you now have material for your eventual comedy tell-all book about your life in the service industry.) But make it clear you're willing and eager to work, and to learn.

If you can pick up skills quickly and avoid repeating those mistakes, no one's going to give a poo poo about the mistakes you made on your first day.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Benny the Snake posted:

You are so goony. No. Do not call and say this. His mental response would ne something like, "What the hell?"

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax
Your fine, man. Sounds like she hosed up. She should have stepped back when you went to lift the bin. poo poo like that is supposed to be muscle memory for those with years (hell, months!) of kitchen experience.

That being said, learn to be graceful in the kitchen. You need to think about navigating a kitchen the way a member of a SWAT team thinks about navigating rooms, corners, walls, etc.

cname fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Apr 16, 2013

CravingSolace
Mar 3, 2012
You hit the owner's wife in the head with a bin on your first day.

God drat it, OP.

At this point, I feel like I'm reading a sitcom.

reflex
Aug 9, 2009

I'd rather laugh with the mudders than cry with the saints. The mudders are much more fun. Hoorah.
Edit: gently caress, you're goony.

reflex fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Apr 16, 2013

toby
Dec 4, 2002

Benny the Snake posted:

For christ's sake, man. Do you have even a single metaphorical testicle.

Your first day wasn't all magic and rainbows, that's fine, just calm yourself. Either the dude will schedule you or he won't, you will not help anything by calling him and being weird. If you get scheduled, do your job, don't be a huge pain in the rear end, and it'll be fine. If you do not get scheduled, then keep looking.

toby fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Apr 16, 2013

Grin and Tonic
Oct 20, 2008

having a blast online

Benny the Snake posted:

Okay she was showing me how to layer two different kinds of lettuce so it could be mixed in a huge tray. Afterwards, she showed me where inside the walk-in fridge to put it. She's right next to me showing where to put it on the top shelf. So I lift it up and I end up smacking her upside the head with the bin by accident. I was extremely apologetic but she laughed it off and said it was okay.

By the way, this is a tiny restaurant. 40 person occupancy. So there's no waiting tables-customers pick up their orders from the counter. So no, busboy isn't a position. Register is, but what he really needed was a cook. And as I said earlier, I'm starting to think that my insistence in using tongs and a spatula instead of a towel to grill the zucchini was probably what cost me the cooking position. I should've set aside what wasn't considered safe or sanitary and just did it like the head cook said and now I blew it :cripes:

Ahahah what the gently caress are you serious dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toby
Dec 4, 2002

I don't know how to say this without sounding jerky, but I get the impression that you are so unsure of yourself that it's actually an obstacle to your daily functioning. If you can't complete simple tasks without checking to make sure it's right or looking for approval, and if you can't handle constructive criticism or learn from a mistake/failure without melting down... well, you are in trouble and you should learn to do those things.

Without going way into it, there's a cliched piece of advice you can use for self-confidence: fake it 'til you make it.

toby fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Apr 16, 2013

• Locked thread