Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
smuggler
Apr 23, 2007
INSULTING THE PACKERS IS NOT AGAINST FORUM RULES, MORON

I'm in, playing as a level 4 Enchanter. Woo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walamor
Dec 31, 2006

Fork 'em Devils!
After my previous concerns about xp rates, it seems to be much better now and I'm quite enjoying it. Both my mage and my cleric are 7 and had a good time grouping up in NRo. I recommend people who want that fresh server experience to try it out. From what I've heard, at peak the server has around 350 players and normally has around 200.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
I'm giving the new Sleeper server a chance. I don't know why I hate myself so much. Are mage pets pretty powerful here?

Walamor
Dec 31, 2006

Fork 'em Devils!

hayden. posted:

I'm giving the new Sleeper server a chance. I don't know why I hate myself so much. Are mage pets pretty powerful here?

Compared to what? They seem pretty good from my experiences so far.

rsjr
Nov 2, 2002

yay for protoss being so simple that retards can win with it
This isn't classic, it's SoV right? Necromancers and mages lose power progressively and do very little DPS when you get to the end-game. Necromancers were pure mana transferring mules by the time NToV came around and mages didn't compare to pure melee classes even with epic.

The top classes back then were: shaman (torpor + epic = solo everything named in SoV not a true raid), monk, rogue, wizard, bard. But play what you want, they're still fun.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Mage pets are generally regarded as super OP right now. Especially fire pet, for DS reasons.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

It would be nice if their terrible website would send me the registration confirmation email, or in the case of the one out of ten that made it, a registration link that isn't broken.

Walamor
Dec 31, 2006

Fork 'em Devils!

hayden. posted:

It would be nice if their terrible website would send me the registration confirmation email, or in the case of the one out of ten that made it, a registration link that isn't broken.

That's odd, I didn't have any issues, however the message was in my spam folder.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Finally in game, Hayden the level one magician. I'm thinking a duo with a shaman would be nice.

edit: trying a druid named Napoleon instead

hayden. fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Apr 14, 2013

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

If you guys are burnt out with P99 raiding and knowing everything about the game already you should try Shards of Dalaya. A couple goons have just started so there's people to play with and you don't have to worry about an uber guild killing everything since raiding is a bit different with many tiers. Classes are also a bit different with monks having ability combos and other things like that. It's all the old EQ zones but changed up with different drops and quests and levels. There's a active thread right now if you wanna check it out.

Walamor
Dec 31, 2006

Fork 'em Devils!

Maed posted:

If you guys are burnt out with P99 raiding and knowing everything about the game already you should try Shards of Dalaya. A couple goons have just started so there's people to play with and you don't have to worry about an uber guild killing everything since raiding is a bit different with many tiers. Classes are also a bit different with monks having ability combos and other things like that. It's all the old EQ zones but changed up with different drops and quests and levels. There's a active thread right now if you wanna check it out.

I tried Dalaya and even raided in it a few years back. I just didn't like it, it didn't feel like old EQ. Your mileage may vary though!

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
Now I know the regular 1999 EQ had pretty difficult soloing, did they ever fix it in here that you could solo decently well?* I've considered just firing this up once in a while if I'm ever bored but that seems like a terrible idea for someone who doesn't want help.

*:Not including dual boxing.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Dizz posted:

Now I know the regular 1999 EQ had pretty difficult soloing, did they ever fix it in here that you could solo decently well?* I've considered just firing this up once in a while if I'm ever bored but that seems like a terrible idea for someone who doesn't want help.

*:Not including dual boxing.
I haven't played it, but if it's an attempt at making a copy of EQ as it was during Velious, there's indirectly a huge boost in ability to solo compared to classic 1999 EQ, thanks to the large amount of easy outdoor zones that scale to high levels.

What I mean by this is that in classic EQ, there were no outdoor zones dedicated to leveling beyond around level 30 or so (South Karana was probably the highest), after that it all took place in dangerous dungeons such as Guk and Solusek's Eye. Even then, outdoor soloing was mostly for casters/kiters, and good spots were far and in between. A few classes could kite guards to high levels. Kunark however, launched with zones with easy mobs in a narrower level range (much more than the crazy level spread in classic zones) that were ripe for the picking one at a time, all the way to level 60. A good classic "xp highway" is:

1-10: Newbie zone (Steamfont or Field of Bone are really good)
10-20: Nearby newbie zone / newbie dungeon, for example Warsliks Wood or Crushbone
20-30: Lake of Ill Omen
30-40: The Overthere, City of Mist
40-50: Dreadlands, Burning Woods, Firiona Vie, Trakanon's Teeth, Emerald Jungle
50+: Dungeons or Skyfire Mountains if you can kite and are up for some danger

A boxer should be able to dabble near the entrance of a few of the dungeons like KC and Sebilis, and at lower levels, do some of the goblin dungeons in Frontier Mountains.

Velious' outdoor zones weren't that amazing compared to Kunark. As far as I recall there's GD for around lvl 30-35, EW for around lvl 30-40, CS with wyverns (mostly for kiters) around lvl 50, and then lower level stuff in Iceclad. Most people went to some of the relatively managable dungeons such as Velk's Lab and Crystal Caverns, which should be boxable.

Class solo ability/balance was massively overhauled with Kunark due to spells and gear, but virtually unchanged from Kunark to Velious. Shamans are amazing with the right spell (Torpor) and have very powerful buffs and debuffs.

I will still say though... soloing in old EQ is time-consuming, frustrating, slow-paced and dangerous. Good luck! :)

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Got to level 5 on EpicEmu. Seems pretty decent so far, no complaints other than being pretty laggy. They're supposedly fixing that. It sounds like they're trying to be P99 but with more common-sense non-poop-socky rules, such as giving tokens to spawn raid instances. Community is okay, seems like a lot of young people though.

rsjr
Nov 2, 2002

I rolled a mage and I get around .5% exp per blue mob 1-3. Stopped before killing myself, couldn't manage to hit 4.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

You need to kill yellows on levels 1 and 2. They're crazy good experience and any class should be able to solo the yellow skeles in GFay without any spells. Level 3 and 4 are a little lame, but once you hit 5 you can really start grouping and it gets better.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
Getting to 4 is excruciating on a mage because you know it's going to go 5x faster once you get that fire pet. 3 to 4 sucks on most classes though. It's like a mini hell level of the mind.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Getting to 4 is excruciating on a mage because you know it's going to go 5x faster once you get that fire pet. 3 to 4 sucks on most classes though. It's like a mini hell level of the mind.
Or for priests, lvl 3-5 :gonk:.

While it's nice to get spells every level on live EQ, it did have its charm to have spells tiered. It felt amazing beyond belief to ding a spell level, and the increase in power was sometimes threefold. You really grew with your spells and worked with what you had. Hybrids had it really bad though, 9 levels before the first spell.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Pilsner posted:

Or for priests, lvl 3-5 :gonk:.

While it's nice to get spells every level on live EQ, it did have its charm to have spells tiered. It felt amazing beyond belief to ding a spell level, and the increase in power was sometimes threefold. You really grew with your spells and worked with what you had. Hybrids had it really bad though, 9 levels before the first spell.

Yeah, my cleric dinged 14 Sunday on Sleeper, and got Healing. That spell is super awesome. On the negative side, my Light Healing spell from 9 could hardly keep up anymore. It makes "the spell level" super powerful, but "the level before spell level" super weak, heh.

Speaking of Sleeper, wow, Toop just poo poo the bed on the server last night and this morning. I'm sure he's trying his best, but drat. It was down for like 4 hours (all of primetime), then when it came back, some zonelines were hosed (I was stuck in Nek, couldn't zone out, guildies were stuck in a zoning loop trying to get to HHK). Server went down again, still didn't work, etc. Looking at the forums this morning, server was down again, zonelines were hosed again.

Sleeper has a lot of the stock-emu issues (a lot of the ones P99 had at launch), but it has several more issues of it's own on top of it. Hopefully it gets more stable and some of the bigger issues worked out before people give up on it entirely.

rsjr
Nov 2, 2002

Went from 4-8 in the time it took to go from 1-4. I'm actually enjoying the server quite a bit, mainly because Toop hosed up and didn't make it true classic. Like mobs drop half a plat a kill in Crushbone. Mez has no aggro, pets hold aggro really well, HP / mana regen seems faster than classic, etc.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

rsjr posted:

Went from 4-8 in the time it took to go from 1-4. I'm actually enjoying the server quite a bit, mainly because Toop hosed up and didn't make it true classic. Like mobs drop half a plat a kill in Crushbone. Mez has no aggro, pets hold aggro really well, HP / mana regen seems faster than classic, etc.
What is the vision (hehe) with the Sleeper server anyway? An attempt at a true copy of Velious, or various tweaks as he sees fit?

I know it's a slippery slope, but I think there are some aspects of classic EQ that the vast majority would agree upon do not add anything but annoyance to the game. For example: death wiping your memmed spells and pets not zoning are some of the biggest peeves of classic emu servers for me.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Pilsner posted:

What is the vision (hehe) with the Sleeper server anyway? An attempt at a true copy of Velious, or various tweaks as he sees fit?

The vision is supposed to be Classic with tweaks as the player community and Kegz see fit. /melody is in, supposedly things like target rings and the compass won't go anywhere, Kegz/Toop has hosed with AC and taunt quite a bit (as opposed to P99 where AC never did poo poo, here it's pretty important).

But right now the community just wants to be able to level without the server being down or restarting constantly during primetime. And I love to be able to zone out of Nek Forest :P

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

xZAOx posted:

The vision is supposed to be Classic with tweaks as the player community and Kegz see fit. /melody is in, supposedly things like target rings and the compass won't go anywhere, Kegz/Toop has hosed with AC and taunt quite a bit (as opposed to P99 where AC never did poo poo, here it's pretty important).
Sounds like a good plan. Just as long as they don't make stuff that was never put into EQ, like if they suddenly added new spells, free levels or purchaseable items or such stuff.

Walamor
Dec 31, 2006

Fork 'em Devils!

Pilsner posted:

Sounds like a good plan. Just as long as they don't make stuff that was never put into EQ, like if they suddenly added new spells, free levels or purchaseable items or such stuff.

I cannot seem them doing that. They seem pretty good at taking out of era stuff out of the game.

rsjr
Nov 2, 2002

This kind of puts an end to The Sleeper for me:

http://www.eqclassic.org/index.php

EQClassic is in beta testing. Read the FAQ and watch the videos for dumb EQ nostalgia.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

rsjr posted:

This kind of puts an end to The Sleeper for me:

http://www.eqclassic.org/index.php

EQClassic is in beta testing. Read the FAQ and watch the videos for dumb EQ nostalgia.

I wouldn't go that far. Their roadmap has a ton of other sections that aren't even started. That's also not what most people understand as beta testing - select people can come in and try out mechanics. None of the expected mobs, etc.

Still, it's a good movement! No doubt. I'm sure lots of us will check it out whenever it goes public, but nothing tells me that won't be for years yet.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
I will wholeheartedly dive into EQClassic once it's ready but I agree with xZAOx - this is not a reason to stop messing with The Sleeper if you're enjoying the opportunity to play on a new server.

EQC is the holy grail of classic servers but it's also (as has been pointed out before in this thread) the DNF of classic servers. They want people to come and help them work out game mechanics, which is a good sign, but it does not mean that the server is anywhere near ready. I would really love to go help them out with sneak pulling mechanics (something that is still not right on P99) and aggro mechanics in general but I don't have the time. Maybe I will try to get involved this summer, assuming there's still no sign of Velious on P99 - I'd much rather be dicking around on a P99 Velious beta server than anything else at this point.

rsjr
Nov 2, 2002

xZAOx posted:

I wouldn't go that far. Their roadmap has a ton of other sections that aren't even started. That's also not what most people understand as beta testing - select people can come in and try out mechanics. None of the expected mobs, etc.

Still, it's a good movement! No doubt. I'm sure lots of us will check it out whenever it goes public, but nothing tells me that won't be for years yet.

The server is up and running, including mobs, spells, classes, etc.. It's in beta and will get wiped, but it's playable (contrary to the tone in the beta announcement). They've changed mob info to stop people from reporting about inaccuracies. This server has been in development for 3+ years and this is huge step closer to release.

I'm bothered by a bunch of stuff I see on The Sleepers. It looks like Toop took the EQEmu default, removed quests, spells and NPCs and that was the bulk of his development efforts. A lot of stuff that every EQEmu server had to change (like proc rates for example) are still on The Sleepers. It's going to take so much tweaking / bug fixes that I just don't have faith Toop can deliver. There's already about 100 issues on the bug forums pending. Things like MQ2 detection P99 developed aren't available, yada yada.

It's a step backward from P99 and with me ~3+ month away from Velious content, I don't have faith that he got that part right from what I've seen so far to take the plunge further.

The raiding system does sound good though.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Yeah, Sleeper is way way far off from perfect. But it's totally playable, and me and a lot of old guildmates that were burned out on P99 are enjoying it. It was nice to run around in Warrens, seeing some dungeons I never went into before really, and it'll be nice to see Velious.

Where'd you get ~3 months for Velious? Just your gut, or did I miss something?

I guess my preference for Sleeper > P99 at the moment is that I feel P99 is pretty ruined and a dead-end. It'll end at Velious (good/bad depending on your tastes), but really beyond that, I just can't stand most of the people on it. Velious only adds raiding for a max-level toon, and I just cannot take more of the drama. The Sleeper forums are absolutely miserable, but the P99 forums are a completely new level of...poo poo I can't even fathom a word for it. It's the worst community I've seen.

So yeah, Sleeper is way the gently caress off on accuracy, but it still *feels* like EverQuest, the locations and faces are familiar enough, a new server has a lot of benefits and fun to it, and for right now at least, it isn't infested with the scum of the "I refuse to pay for a game and I'm going to make this game my life" people yet. That's good enough. What really concerns me the most is that they don't have the raid token stuff in-game, and they're just planning on doing it if/when it becomes necessary. Things are definitely populated right now, but for the raid scene to really need it we'd probably need a few hundred people at max level, so that'll be a while.

2-boxing is also interesting, and does a lot to offset any population issues. Most of my guildies are 2-boxing, and that helps us group up a lot more.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
The thing that bothers me the most about P99 is that it's a preview of what any successful (where stability and population = success) classic EQ community could eventually look like. EQClassic is doing an awesome thing by using an actual classic client as the foundation for their server, but I'm much more concerned with what their community and player behavior management practices are going to look like. These are what will ultimately influence whether or not it's an enjoyable server to play on for more than a year or two. I really hope they learn from the mistakes that the P99 devs made, especially regarding "Adherence to CLASSIC" vs. "Make our anachronistic server work for our contemporary community".

Regarding how finished their product is, yes, they have a server you can log into and play on right now, but it is in no way ready according to their standards of readiness (.9 / 13 tasks accomplished). Core development is nearly complete but they have a lot of other things they want to be sure of before they open up the server to the public.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Yeah, I never realized how much the server staff makes/breaks the environment. I just (wrongly) assumed those attracted to an emulated EQ server in this day and age would in generally be more mature and rational about things. But nope! Let's all flame on every 5 seconds!

Edit: Other EQC concerns...the client will only support 4:3 resolution. And as of right now, they actually have no plans to host their own server. I assume it'll be like EQEmulator - they give the bits, and allow other people to host their own. There's some other stuff in their FAQ that would be good to read, but they link to the forum and make you log in, and I can't be arsed to sign up.

Fun side note - BDA was originally going to be an EQC guild :P. Hail to the king!

xZAOx fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Apr 17, 2013

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

If only they had developers/GMs that weren't content (or rather, entertained) with the "anything goes" raiding scene that plays to the favor of the most decrepit player base.

Pull some rank, you loving lazies.

moolchaba fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Apr 17, 2013

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Wow, EQClassic using a classic client is pretty hardcore.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

What's the benefit of EQC over any other classic server? As far as I can tell it just uses an older client that fixes some problems the new ones have:

quote:

Message Boards
MIDI Music
Ambient Music
Spell Bolts
Droppable Coin
Fully Operational Boats
Human Night Blindness
Forced Spellbook Meditation
Original / Velious UIs
Stamina Bar and Combat Fatigue
Pre-Endurance Discipline System
Soul Bound Keys
Original Tradeskill System
Single Chat Window Communication

Kind of nice, I guess. I don't think I'd be willing to go back to only a single chat window and spell book meding, though.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
Dude, but DROPPABLE COIN!

Finally you will once again be able to draw penises with copper pieces the way god and Brad McQuaid intended!

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Dude, but DROPPABLE COIN!

Finally you will once again be able to draw penises with copper pieces the way god and Brad McQuaid intended!

I don't understand. Are you saying that they're not the same person already?

But yeah, using the classic client has a lot of concerns. My most hated thing about playing emulated EQ server is how horrible the client is. Hell, Live EQ is barely better. The titanium client alone has tons of issues (black screen typically when you start up, mouse speed is jacked unless you limit framerate, if you lock your computer or get a windows "confirm admin" screen it doesn't render anymore, etc etc etc). Going back even further in time to one chat window, no widescreen resolution, and god knows what other issues? I don't know that's very compelling to actually play regularly on. It'll be neat and fun to see, no doubt, I'd love to see the old original UI where the 3D portion was a whopping 30% of your screen or something, but I wouldn't want to play for hours on it.

The thing people miss with EverQuest evolving and the THAT'S NOT CLASSIC is that not all EQ changes were bad.

Chum Scandal
Oct 30, 2003

xZAOx posted:

I don't understand. Are you saying that they're not the same person already?

But yeah, using the classic client has a lot of concerns. My most hated thing about playing emulated EQ server is how horrible the client is. Hell, Live EQ is barely better. The titanium client alone has tons of issues (black screen typically when you start up, mouse speed is jacked unless you limit framerate, if you lock your computer or get a windows "confirm admin" screen it doesn't render anymore, etc etc etc). Going back even further in time to one chat window, no widescreen resolution, and god knows what other issues? I don't know that's very compelling to actually play regularly on. It'll be neat and fun to see, no doubt, I'd love to see the old original UI where the 3D portion was a whopping 30% of your screen or something, but I wouldn't want to play for hours on it.

The thing people miss with EverQuest evolving and the THAT'S NOT CLASSIC is that not all EQ changes were bad.

I don't know why anyone would want that UI again other than nostalgia. The staggering amount of dead space, the huge buttons, the fact that when you'd get fully buffed up for Nagafen the buff icons were loving huge and took up like 1/4 or 1/3 of that already tiny gameplay window. It's more of a "haha some designer actually settled on that" than a "what a stroke of genius" reaction from me.

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
You also have to remember what computers were like when Everquest was released. The tiny viewing area was needed for lesser computers. I installed two 3Dfx 3D accelerator cards in a series to my little emachines computer so that I could spin in a circle without lagging. Who knows how that worked.

Comatoast fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Apr 18, 2013

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
This is quite true - EQ had hefty system requirements in its day (and also some of the best graphics in terms of models and texturing and particle effects) and there were lots of people who were running games in 640x480 just to eke out 20 FPS. A full screen viewing pane with transparent UI elements on top of it (a la Velious UI and beyond) would have made the game unplayable for almost everyone.

EDIT: I had a Voodoo2 I on a Pentium 2 when I was playing the EQ beta in the fall of 98 and it was rough. I was heading to college the fall after release so that summer I used my graduation money to build a ~$2000 computer with a TNT2, an AMD Slot-A Athlon, and an Adaptec 2940U2W with all SCSI HDs and optical drives. That plus a chunky 19" CRT let me play Half Life in 1600x1200 and with college ethernet I was a LPB king of online PC gaming for awhile. EQ ran much better on that computer but it was still rough compared to most other games out there.

The original UI was also following the standard set by earlier MMOs like Meridian59 as well as many first person PC RPGs which also offered a small viewing pane in the middle of a bunch of informational panels.

aparmenideanmonad fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Apr 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rsjr
Nov 2, 2002

Trip report: Played EQClassic beta. It actually works on Windows 8 so there you go.

The original UI as in that marble / grey thing? No one uses that, they all use the transparent UI. The client is very similar (identical?) to EQMac so you guys should be fine if you can handle that client.

I think what I want is Project99's source code and a different management team to start a brand new server, but I doubt that will ever happen. I agree that the P99 staff is responsible for why the server is in the state its in. If they would just ban every idiot that springs up (even on the forums), they'd have double the player base and a lot less work.

• Locked thread