Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012

MoFauxHawk posted:

Man I met this lawyer at a bar last night who works for a collections company and takes poor people's cars and forecloses on them and makes them pay massive debts in one payment rather than payment plans if they haven't been paying. And like, fine, somebody has to do that job, and if you've managed to justify what you're doing so you can make a living, fine. But this moderately overweight monster actually spent ten minutes telling a couple of law students about how much he loves his job and how he actually laughs at poor people while he drives away in their busted cars and it was kind of disturbing. He just kept going on and on about how much these people suck and how fun his job is. He was noticeably worse than people in Biglaw.
I have no delusions of grandeur about my work in bankruptcy, but it's extremely rare that I face a moral/ethical dilemma about loving over creditors. Even if my clients are scumbags, they've usually got kids and society is better off with that money kept in the household.

It's also kinda fun to slide the bankruptcy notice in the morning of a big civil trial with attorneys like that. They're busy prepping the expert witnesses, they've got all these notes on a legal pad, it's so cute. Aside from repeated filings, there's basically no timing of a bankruptcy filing that is abusive. That's the main takeaway from bankruptcy I'd tell attorneys in other practice areas: Until like 120 days after you cash a check (after judgment, after enforcement), you have nothing. Brace your clients, because if the garnishment hearing is 50 days from now my clients will file bankruptcy in 49.5 days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

MoFauxHawk posted:

Man I met this lawyer at a bar last night who works for a collections company and takes poor people's cars and forecloses on them and makes them pay massive debts in one payment rather than payment plans if they haven't been paying. And like, fine, somebody has to do that job, and if you've managed to justify what you're doing so you can make a living, fine. But this moderately overweight monster actually spent ten minutes telling a couple of law students about how much he loves his job and how he actually laughs at poor people while he drives away in their busted cars and it was kind of disturbing. He just kept going on and on about how much these people suck and how fun his job is. He was noticeably worse than people in Biglaw.

The only job I got "recruited" for in undergrad was working as a collections / claims agent for Liberty Mutual. To this day I am thankful I did not do it.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

wacko_- posted:

Let's be fair. She could be going for an Mrs. Degree too. Granted she should go to a better school so the Mr. actually has a job...

I doubt it, she's already engaged to a programmer dude who works for Google.

I mean, I guess that in itself means that she won't have to worry so much about having her life destroyed, but imagine what they could do with both people in a viable career!

I am a paralegal and one of the depressing parts of my job is seeing how many other people join the firm to work for 1-2 years as an assistant and then go on to law school. Sometimes I feel like I'm sitting in the lobby of an abattoir :smith:

Jove
Jun 18, 2004

He doesn't come to us...we go to him...BOW DOWN, SLAVE.
Quick question for Biglaw goons: If you got a bar stipend, roughly how much was deducted in taxes? I know the numbers will vary from state to state but I'm just trying to get a general impression for budgeting purposes. I know I could just ask HR/AR but I'd prefer to not telegraph my obsessive need for granular control over my income too early into the game.

Also, full disclosure is always the answer when doing character & fitness, right?

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Jove posted:

Also, full disclosure is always the answer when doing character & fitness, right?
Absolutely. Dishonest or partial disclosure is potentially far worse for you than anything that you need to disclose.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Jove posted:

Quick question for Biglaw goons: If you got a bar stipend, roughly how much was deducted in taxes? I know the numbers will vary from state to state but I'm just trying to get a general impression for budgeting purposes. I know I could just ask HR/AR but I'd prefer to not telegraph my obsessive need for granular control over my income too early into the game.

Just ask HR. It's not at all unreasonable to be wanting to know that because "how much money will I have" is a fairly basic part of budgeting. Nobody will think it's obsessive or weird.

10-8
Oct 2, 2003

Level 14 Bureaucrat
I did a career fair this morning for my office. We expected to see a lot of law students and maybe some recent grads. Nope. Most of the people I spoke to had graduated 3 or 4 years ago and were still looking for meaningful work. Don't go, etc.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Jove posted:

my obsessive need for granular control over my income

This is totally par for the course for lawyers at every level of biglaw and nobody will bat an eye.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Jove posted:

In NY about 47% was deducted in taxes, at least for me.

10-8
Oct 2, 2003

Level 14 Bureaucrat

Phil Moscowitz posted:

This is totally par for the course for lawyers at every level of biglaw and nobody will bat an eye.
Yep. My girlfriend thinks I'm nuts because I have half a dozen spreadsheets tracking various financial issues. I don't understand why you wouldn't want to know exactly how much money you'll have in 192 days.

Cormack
Apr 29, 2009

10-8 posted:

Yep. My girlfriend thinks I'm nuts because I have half a dozen spreadsheets tracking various financial issues. I don't understand why you wouldn't want to know exactly how much money you'll have in 192 days.

Because you know the answer isn't going to be a happy one.

Jove
Jun 18, 2004

He doesn't come to us...we go to him...BOW DOWN, SLAVE.

mikeraskol posted:

In NY about 47% was deducted in taxes, at least for me.

Goddammit to hell and back. Thus begins my slow transformation into a Republican.

10-8
Oct 2, 2003

Level 14 Bureaucrat

Cormack posted:

Because you know the answer isn't going to be a happy one.

I just keep my student loans off the books and pretend they don't exist. Worked for Enron.

(Not joking. I don't even load my student loan accounts into Mint.com. There's no point in always being depressed.)

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I just made a lump sum payment on a loan to take out 10% of my debt and now my bank account is super low and my debt is still super high and I'm depressed :(

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

mastershakeman posted:

I just made a lump sum payment on a loan to take out 10% of my debt and now my bank account is super low and my debt is still super high and I'm depressed :(

I just paid my taxes for last year. I have never had a check clear my account as fast as those.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Jove posted:

Goddammit to hell and back. Thus begins my slow transformation into a Republican.

To be fair I think I got some of that money back come tax time. It was over-taxed because it was salary, so they took the amount I got and pretended that I was getting that amount every paycheck to extrapolate how much I make a year and put me in a tax bracket. It just happened to be a tax bracket that was too high, hence the 47% total taken out.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
93% done with law school.

zero fucks left to give. I thought I hit bottom earlier. I never knew the depths of gently caress it I could reach.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
May 7th, 2010:

Green Crayons posted:

Are there figures for other schools, or are these just the top schools to place Article III clerks? Becuase I understand that I need to essentially be the top of the top 5% to even be considered for an Article III clerkship for where I'm going, and that poo poo just won't happen. But I can't believe W&L is on there but not W&M. Dammit.
Probably the single greatest thing I've read in any of these threads.

Green Crayons posted:

Makes sense. Every judge has at least one, the important judges get two (or more if they're super special, I guess). At least, that's how I've seen it work in district court down here.

Using the USNWR numbers with the average class size as found on W&M's website, about 8 students per year go from W&M to an Article III clerkship. Can I be one of those lucky few? No.

Will I build up a secret hope throughout my LS career that I can achieve this coveted and nearly-impossible dream, only to have it all come crashing down in a cacophony of binge drinking and bitter jobless tears? Oh, yes. I do believe so.

e:
District Court in SC compensates for your clerk shenanigans. Granted, my sample size is only Charleston, so I don't know what the other cities' judges have in terms of clerks - but I would imagine only Columbia or maybe Greenville would have a larger clerk:judge ratio than Charleston.

Now:

Green Crayons posted:

93% done with law school.

zero fucks left to give. I thought I hit bottom earlier. I never knew the depths of gently caress it I could reach.

This Could Will Be You, Future Applicants

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
Especially if you go to WM.

Because what is there a gently caress to give about in Williamsburg besides Wawa?

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
I went to W&M, and it's really just Wawa.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010
Class of 2014:

http://www.linkedin.com/in/bobbyingram

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL
Finals stink. Next year, totally loading up on clinicals and paper classes.

I just want to be done school so that I can get on with being miserable and jaded and an alcoholic like real lawyers apparently are :(

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

burf posted:

I just want to be done school so that I can get on with being miserable and jaded and an alcoholic like real lawyers apparently are :(

I'm in my office right now with a flask.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

mikeraskol posted:

I'm in my office right now with a flask.

I actually can't remember the last day I didn't have a drink.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

I know someone there now, and I'll bet he didn't even know he was in school with a legend.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

burf posted:

I really disagree. I think papers are much worse than finals. But that's a personal preference.

10-8
Oct 2, 2003

Level 14 Bureaucrat

Adar posted:

This is the best use of a 3 year old thread.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Enigma posted:

I know someone there now, and I'll bet he didn't even know he was in school with a legend.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

the milk machine posted:

I went to W&M, and it's really just Wawa.

I left W&M in part because it was really just Wawa.

NewtGoongrich
Jan 21, 2012
I am a shit stain on the face of humanity, I have no compassion, only hatred, bile and lust.

PROUD SHIT STAIN
I just wrote and researched a 25 page term paper on fiduciary obligations in contractual joint ventures in a 48 hour period, and I managed to get some sleep while doing it. Time to put the finishing touches on it, drop it off, and then study for equity and trusts and con law for the rest of the day. Exam period :getin:

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Adar posted:

May 7th, 2010:

Now:

hahahahah Adar, you are a loving legend

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Adar posted:

May 7th, 2010:

Now:

:unsmigghh: as gently caress

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I have a couple coming in this afternoon for a uncontested divorce consultation. Does anyone have a consent form appropriate for the non-client? Is there a repository for useful forms in this thread? Did I miss it somehow?

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

NewtGoongrich posted:

I just wrote and researched a 25 page term paper on fiduciary obligations in contractual joint ventures in a 48 hour period, and I managed to get some sleep while doing it. Time to put the finishing touches on it, drop it off, and then study for equity and trusts and con law for the rest of the day. Exam period :getin:

I just finished a 25 page paper on the treatment of student loans in the Canadian federal child support guidelines and am now studying for family law.

My last exam is evidence on thursday and I know that I don't understand anything in that class, yet I just can't bring myself to care.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

Monaghan posted:

My last exam is evidence on thursday and I know that I don't understand anything in that class, yet I just can't bring myself to care.

It's a good thing that the entirety of Canadian evidence law was replaced by "is it necessary & reliable?". Pretty much, anyway.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

It's a good thing that the entirety of Canadian evidence law was replaced by "is it necessary & reliable?". Pretty much, anyway.

Except for things like previous consistent statements pigeon hole.

10-8
Oct 2, 2003

Level 14 Bureaucrat
I had a realization today and it made me sad. I spent the day tearing apart a bathroom, redoing the plumbing, installing a new vanity, etc., and it was so much more fulfilling than when I shuffle papers around.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

10-8 posted:

I had a realization today and it made me sad. I spent the day tearing apart a bathroom,

I got this far and at first I was like "man, what did you eat?"

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

Ainsley McTree posted:

I got this far and at first I was like "man, what did you eat?"

Tacochat itt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

10-8 posted:

I had a realization today and it made me sad. I spent the day tearing apart a bathroom, redoing the plumbing, installing a new vanity, etc., and it was so much more fulfilling than when I shuffle papers around.

I did that for summers once and while it's fun the first few times trust me it gets old fast.