Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

BlitzBlast posted:

What, don't you want another RX-78-2?

I feel like this sums up the entire Gundam franchise.

I'm always happy for more grunt kits just because they aren't gundams, and I hope Origin's one gundam limit will force them to put out some more of those. Its just a shame there aren't any Hygoggs in the origin, that's probably my favourite one year war suit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The thing that baffles me about the Wing non-Gundam suits not getting MG kits is that almost all of them are mass-produced grunts. I know that I bought(admittedly discounted) multiple Zaku and RX-79 kits way back when because I wanted a squad to go with a Char Zaku and the EZ-8.

Not to mention most of them are among the best suits in all of the Gundam franchises. The Leo, the Mercurius and Vayeate as well as their derivatives(forgot the name) are some of my favorite suits.

And that's not even mentioning the Serpent, which is just a big bulky beast of bullet-spitting machinery.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Apr 10, 2013

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Captain Invictus posted:

The thing that baffles me about the Wing non-Gundam suits not getting MG kits is that almost all of them are mass-produced grunts. I know that I bought(admittedly discounted) multiple Zaku and RX-79 kits way back when because I wanted a squad to go with a Char Zaku and the EZ-8.

Not to mention most of them are among the best suits in all of the Gundam franchises. The Leo, the Mercurius and Vayeate as well as their derivatives(forgot the name) are some of my favorite suits.

And that's not even mentioning the Serpent, which is just a big bulky beast of bullet-spitting machinery.

If you look at it money-wise, I'd think it was more cost effective to spend a lot of money designing and making the suits that are the most popular, which would be the main character's gundams that the show puts a lot of effort into looking cool and exciting! Also when you consider that wing had like, five gundams, and then the improved versions of those five gundams, and then epyon on top of that, I'm not surprised that they put all the MG budget into making the main gundams rather than the grunts. You compare that to something like Unicorn where there's only two gundams in it and they're like 99% identical (so they only need to spend that design budget once) then they have a lot more money to put into making MGs that aren't just gundams, which is why we've got two Sinanjus and the Delta Plus and like three ReZels and the Jesta. The only reason we don't have a Kshatriya on top of that is because the suit is so ridiculously huge.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
It's me. I'm the guy who constantly buys RX-78-2 toys and kits. So, it's no surprise that I wouldn't mind The Origin redesigns. It's nice when Kunio Okawara takes an older design and actually, you know, redoes it instead of just slapping some new parts on 30 year old lineart and recoloring the whole thing. Besides, there's plenty of enough cosmetic differences to justify their releases such as the Zaku's new chain-gun style rifle or the Gundam's modular backpack.

Give me chain-gun Zaku, dammit.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Mecha Gojira posted:

It's me. I'm the guy who constantly buys RX-78-2 toys and kits.

Do you feel like taking a picture of every RX-78-2 you have? Let's see how dedicated you are. :v:

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I've always held off on getting an RX-78 because there's never one that's quite right for me, but an Origin version would do it for me.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?
There's exactly one RX-78 I want and it's the G-Armor Real Type Color version. Too bad it's so prohibitively expensive.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I have the OYW version of the mg rx-78 on my buy list, but I may get the origin one.

The 2.0 while a good kit engineering wise, just looks like rear end to me.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Here's my cellphone RX-78-2. You guys have reminded me that I haven't put his decals on yet.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

So when it comes to panel lining, what does orange look good on? I accidentally ordered an orange real touch marker along with a black and brown one, and $3 isn't enough for me to bother figuring out how to edit the order.

On that note, if all you plan to do is lining, do you still need to wash the runners?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Grey, I guess??? Or you could be like me and get a Terminus R606 kit and use it on the orange parts. Try using it for burn weathering too. No, it's not really necessary to wash the runners. If you're only panel lining, you'll notice paint not sticking and not have to undo an entire coat of paint to fix it.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Great thread. Never done any modeling before, really, but I'm gonna take a crack at it. Got a 1/144 RG Char's Zaku coming at me. If I never post a picture of the finished product it's because I hosed up really bad and got embarrassed.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Red Bones posted:

Origin's one gundam limit

nope.

I hoping for a MG when the Origin anime starts.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Sweet Jesus, and people complain about Turn A being ugly.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

When did the mummy become a gundam?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
When Neo Egypt joined the Gundam fight.

Also that owns, and it's holding the shield the right way!!

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I remember reading the origin volumes in North America that came out when I was a kid and being annoyed as hell that the gundam was holding the shield upside down.

Now of course I realize how dumb I was being.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It's just the logical conclusion to the long, tortured evolution of the Crash Test Dummy.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

boom boom boom posted:

nope.

I hoping for a MG when the Origin anime starts.

You can guarantee that will get an MG. They spend money making the MG origin RX-78 and then they can easily reuse all the runners for the GM and the prototype gundam. They'd be dumb not to.

Also I don't care its basically the same gundam anyway so it still counts as a one gundam limit :colbert:

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Those of you who sand your nubs down, what grits do you use? I'm using various grits and finishing off with a 2000 grit and it's not working great. Could be the plastic on this kit, I guess, but I could also be doing this poorly.

Faltion
Jul 4, 2004

I am an anachronism
Depending on the nub I go with a file->400->800->1000->2000. It will still look crappy at 2000 on plastic, but I paint all my kits and it's not noticeable. I've seen 6000-12000 help polish it down to look a bit more even, but nothing will ever really hide nub marks aside from paint. Someone mentioned using a fingernail to polish a sanded area which actually works. Also wet sanding helps with avoiding a lot of sanding marks in my opinion.

runwiled
Feb 21, 2011

Faltion posted:

Also wet sanding helps with avoiding a lot of sanding marks in my opinion.

Pretty much this. Go with wet/dry sandpaper at really high grit. Then you can use some kind of cutting compound to polish it. Back in school we used to use Brasso on acrylic so that should work. Other readily available cutting compounds are things like toothpaste - just use ones with titanium dioxide in them - or T-Cut (the stuff you use on cars). Just be careful and test on sprues first before committing.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Just finished putting this guy together. The kit came with an extra shield thing that doesn't fit anywhere so I tried using some silver paint to give it some battle damage. It turned into a lot of battle damage but I really like the silver on blue and I think I'm going to accent the whole model like this. I basically just use a silver paint pen to dab along edges, then break it up with a bit of paper towel I twist into a tip. I also found a brand of pen called Sakura Microperm 01 that sticks to model plastic without rubbing off. The store near me only had 1mm pens though, not .5mm.

EDIT: oops, it's an Avalanche Exia, can't read what series it's from though would 00V mean anything?

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Apr 15, 2013

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it looks like an Exia variant but I dont recognize all the extra armor. Is that from the movie?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Fauxtool posted:

it looks like an Exia variant but I dont recognize all the extra armor. Is that from the movie?

Exia Avalanche, one of the MSVs.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I haven't paid attention to Revoltechs in a while, but apparently they're offering multi-packs now.

If anyone wants to buy this, I'll split it with you for the Yoko and Lazengann, don't have those two yet. Unless there's something wrong with them that is said in the Japanese bits and would explain why they're cheap!

http://www.amiami.jp/top/detail/det...0%24pagecnt%3D1

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So I tried waterslide decals tonight and they are much easier to apply than I thought. I even ripped a larger one in two by mistake and managed to fix it nicely. I just bought a GNR-010 Perfect Grade decal sheet because it had a bunch of shapes and warning signs I thought would work well with the Exia Avalanche and all it's jets.

The big blue bird decal is the one that ripped. I think it's the one on the right I had to fix.

All the arm decals after a matte clear coat.

This is a Palette Gun from Evangelion, it was another victim of my metal weathering experiments. I like the way this turned out, passes as chipped metal from a distance I think. One thing it lacks are any actual scars or scratches, it's just dabbed paint along the edges.

EDIT: I noticed my decals look a bit cloudy in some areas which is due to a small bubble underneath the decal. This can either be from not flattening out the decal with the Q-tip after it is set, or from using water decals on bare plastic. In my case both are true, but going forward I should not have this problem. Oddly the larger decals look fine but it's the smaller ones that have the bubble problem. I'll probably do a quick layer of matte clear coat over the area I'm adding decals to from now on. Water slide decals are super simple to apply, I really don't know why I was so concerned about the difficulty before.

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Apr 16, 2013

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Captain Invictus posted:

I haven't paid attention to Revoltechs in a while, but apparently they're offering multi-packs now.

I ordered one of the Monster Hunter Zinogre revoltechs because I'm a giant videogame nerd and it looks awesome. I've never had a revoltech before, how big are they on average?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Six inches is the height of pretty much every revoltech.

If I sold all my Revoltechs except one, it'd probably be either Megatron or that crescent moon-helmeted giant robo guy. Both have outstanding articulation and look fantastic. Plus I got a spare of the GR one for like 2 bucks during an HLJ clearance. :v:

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Captain Invictus posted:

If anyone wants to buy this, I'll split it with you for the Yoko and Lazengann, don't have those two yet. Unless there's something wrong with them that is said in the Japanese bits and would explain why they're cheap!

You're not gonna have much luck with that bro, the ones you want are the rare, expensive ones, the other two are dirt cheap everywhere.

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

Wait, so you want Yoko and Lazengann? I've been looking for a TTGL for a long time but haven't been able to find one for anything less than $100. I already have regular old Gurren Lagann but I guess I wouldn't mind another one if it could get me Tengen Toppa.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

This is one of if not the first pack I've heard of them selling.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Captain Invictus posted:

Six inches is the height of pretty much every revoltech.

If I sold all my Revoltechs except one, it'd probably be either Megatron or that crescent moon-helmeted giant robo guy. Both have outstanding articulation and look fantastic. Plus I got a spare of the GR one for like 2 bucks during an HLJ clearance. :v:

Revoltechs are really closer to like four-five inches in height. If you're used to figures like Robot Damashii, SH Figuarts, or even HGUC model kits, you're going to be mildly disappointed in how small they are and also maybe at how imprecise the details and some of the paint apps are. They're not bad figures by any stretch of the imagination (except for the very early ones; those are awful), but they're cheaper than most of the other robot and action figure toy lines for a reason.

Anyway, I'm basing this off of experience with the YF-19 and 21 figures, New Getter-1, Tetsujin 28, and the Sci-Fi Gamera 1995. Sci-Fi Gamera was the last Revoltech I purchased, and I never bothered again with the line because it is just so tiny. It looks like a little aquarium turtle. With fire breath.

On the multi-pack note, I'm pretty sure Kaiyodo's released Evangelion multi-packs in the past, so it's not surprising they're doing it for Gurren Lagann.

KoB
May 1, 2009

boom boom boom posted:

You're not gonna have much luck with that bro, the ones you want are the rare, expensive ones, the other two are dirt cheap everywhere.

The Lazengann is rare? I picked it up when it came out and its super rad.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

Midjack posted:

I guess they're also doing the remake versions of Evas 0-3.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Started work on the 1/20 Scopedog. There are certainly some...interesting choices and design implementations on it. I'd be lying if I said the little Gilgamesh pilot figure wasn't cute, even if some of the gate placements on its parts are irritating. It even has a little armor magnum on its hip. That's adorable.

arhra
Jun 27, 2006

Midjack posted:

They did a multi-pack of the 1.0 movie Evas a few years ago.

Also, that previous AmiAmi link was to the Japanese store, which isn't very helpful for most people here. The english version of that page is here:

http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?gcode=TOY-RBT-3155

One thing to be wary of if anyone does decide to order it - if the Eva multipack is any indication (or any of the larger Revoltechs, like the Zoids, for that matter), Kaiyodo are terrible at designing packaging - rather than stacking a couple of layers of parts trays on top of each other, they laid them all out horizontally, leading to a large (but not very thick) box that resulted in ridiculous shipping costs thanks to the huge shipping box required to fit it:

arhra fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Apr 17, 2013

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

So the MG Zeta 2.0 just got delivered, and :wtc: its box is loving gigantic. I think it's almost twice the size of the RX-78-2's box, this is ridiculous.

...And now I'm really hopeful that the FA-ZZ's box is going to be even bigger. :allears:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

BlitzBlast posted:

So the MG Zeta 2.0 just got delivered, and :wtc: its box is loving gigantic. I think it's almost twice the size of the RX-78-2's box, this is ridiculous.

...And now I'm really hopeful that the FA-ZZ's box is going to be even bigger. :allears:

It's the same size.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Well that's disappointing.

Sorry about the bad picture, but the lighting's bad at this time of the night.

In other news, I've (mostly) finished my first master grade! I still need to build the equipment, but considering the sheer range of poses this thing could do I might not ever put them on. Hell, I'm probably going to just leave this guy in the doofiest poses imaginable, since I've got other MGs to dramatically pose.

EDIT: Also, what the hell is up with this thing's decals? I can understand having giant DANGER or CAUTION tags on the beam saber, and maybe the foot since people would be walking around there, but what possible danger could the hands/torso/legs be? Are they unstable explosives?

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Apr 20, 2013

• Locked thread