Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Darkrenown posted:

Verify files if it's Steam and clear your cache.

Completely clean install of V2, AHD and HoD from GG. Gets to 'Creating Rivers' and crashes. Updated all my codecs, drivers and whatnot.

Hope you guys are working on that patch!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
It's not a patch issue. You didn't mention clearing your cache there unless it's included in "whatnot", it's in your documents folder so a reinstall doesn't touch it.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Ran revo uninstaller to remove all files associated with v2.

e: OK it didn't go into documents.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

I'm squee-ing everywhere right now.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Yeah I had to do a full reinstall but once I did HoD worked fine. I'm playing it right now. My first vanilla game was Persia, my first AHD game was Persia, and so the tradition continues.

And oh my god fighting people to gain research points as an unciv is beyond glorious. Newspapers are amazing (I had something about Russians complaining something called "Dead souls" is too difficult). And my first crisis is brewing as the USA and UK compete over colonial rights in British Columbia.

:swoon:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

So I'm not going to be able to get in on HoD since it costs more than what I have in my bank account right now, but I'm kind awondering if this isn't necessarily a bad thing after reading some stuff on the Paradox forums. Namely, this:

quote:

The worst thing in it is the ai releasing stupid dominions, in my game Portugal released the Kingdom of Mocambique, then colonized another state inland, released that as the Commonwealth of Mocambique and then colonized another two states inland and released that as the Confederation of Mocambique. There is also the Kingdom of North Angola and the Kingdom of East Angola...

and of course portugal immediately releasing india in Goa, also Britain immediately released British Columbia, New Zealand, and Australia.

Now New Zealand will never own all it's lands because it will never be a great power, so Great Britain will probably colonize the rest of the islands and release it as the Kingdom of South Island or something, same thing with the interior of Australia.

Any goons run into problems like this too? Also seeing a lot of stuff going on with North American colonization (the US being unable to colonize Washington state).

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Drone posted:

Any goons run into problems like this too? Also seeing a lot of stuff going on with North American colonization (the US being unable to colonize Washington state).

Yeah, I've seen the Portugal and New Zealand problems myself. Also Portugal releasing the state of India as posted before is kinda :psyduck:

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

I figure it's a minor thing that'll get fixed in a quick patch. Until then ~changeowner should do the trick

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Nobody's really talking about naval combat though, it seems like it's being eclipsed by the dominion issues. Anyone confirm that it's fun?

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry
Echoing the dominion issues, lots of strange little countries appearing. Maybe prevent the AI from releasing them before 1890 or something?

Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009
It might be because established colonies are a drain on colony points now, which gives more incentive to release states and the AI is just too heavily weighting that factor in decisionmaking.

Edit:and not factoring in that CP don't really matter that much before a certain point.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
gently caress you Paradox!

I went to the Paradox website to buy HoD, first thing I see is Europa Universalis IV, click on the buy button, "coming soon" .... you ruined my day :(
I demand a beta invite to make up for this disaster.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

I had the same CtD issue but clearing the cache worked just fine. Thanks, paradox! :)

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

Oh god has this always been in the vanilla game?

Scramble for Africa has just started in my game and for some reason the UK is focusing on the remaining American provinces instead of Africa. They have level 3 naval bases on the ivory coast and in south Africa so they don't lack opportunity.

Anyway, what's the difference between a protectorate and a "full" colony? The upgrade costs 20 points, is it worth it right away?

I might have to try and create glorious byzantine Africa now, do I have to completely dismantle the Ottomans before I can take Istanbul or is it like EU3 where cutting the capital off from the other provinces is enough to be able to grab it in the next war?

Ed: The crisis system is great, UK backed me every time and the Turks had to fork over state after state. My first crisis basically doubled my pop!

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

meatbag posted:

Echoing the dominion issues, lots of strange little countries appearing. Maybe prevent the AI from releasing them before 1890 or something?

Yeah, AI is min-maxing too much, needs a limiter.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

I was actually fine with the dominion issues until I saw that Australia owns most of the South Island. Some things just aren't funny. :argh:

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

Ha! Portugal and the UK released almost every colony as a dominion a few days after the 1836 start. :woop:

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Vodos posted:

Oh god has this always been in the vanilla game?

Yep, and it is glorious.

Vodos posted:

I might have to try and create glorious byzantine Africa now, do I have to completely dismantle the Ottomans before I can take Istanbul or is it like EU3 where cutting the capital off from the other provinces is enough to be able to grab it in the next war?
It probably still works like in AHD: http://www.paradoxian.org/vicky2wiki/Greece#Forming_the_Byzantine_Empire

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
I posted my Heart of Darkness Empire.

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

If you're on the fence I'd wait for a patch to wrangle these dominion issues. The "four Mozambiques" mentioned above seems to be a common problem.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Is there a way to get an exact breakdown of what my colonial points are being spent on? Couldn't find it in the ledger or interface.

EDIT: Might be nice to have a colonial breakdown on the outliner. Maybe your active attempts at colonizing, a little flag for other nations competing with you, days until you can advance a level, etc.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

Any news on the pretty borders front? Should I be ashamed to say that's what I care about most?

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

ThePutty posted:

Any news on the pretty borders front? Should I be ashamed to say that's what I care about most?

Pretty borders are more important than everything ever, so no, don't be ashamed.

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

ThePutty posted:

Any place that can be colonized ends up looking like a patchwork. States's will colonize, then release a dominion, colonize, then release a dominion, and so on. Example: Instead of colonizing all of "New Zealand" and releasing a unified New Zealand dominion, GB will release its initial NZ colony as a dominion, then colonize the other open areas of New Zealand, then release them as dominions and so on. Consequently, you'll have three little New Zealand dominions where a full New Zealand dominion should exist.

Here are some early HOD screens specifically dealing with pretty borders: http://imgur.com/a/GsYbG

Tercio fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Apr 16, 2013

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

Ray and Shirley posted:

Any place that can be colonized ends up looking like a patchwork. States's will colonize, then release a dominion, colonize, then release a dominion, and so on. Example: Instead of colonizing all of "New Zealand" and releasing a unified New Zealand dominion, GB will release its initial NZ colony as a dominion, then colonize the other open areas of New Zealand, then release them as dominions and so on. Consequently, you'll have three little New Zealand dominions where a full New Zealand dominion should exist.

What about back in Europe/America? Any wackiness going on there?

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

Ray and Shirley posted:

Here are some early HOD screens specifically dealing with pretty borders: http://imgur.com/a/GsYbG
I need to get in on this before Paradox does something dumb like fixing this.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
I think that I will just start up a game as good old Texas and watch the hilarity of how Africa will look.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
Amazon is selling an "Online Game Code". Is it seriously Steam only? With no digital download? I bought the other two off Amazon and now I have to give money to Gamersgate (which I really don't want to do) just to get this expansion? At least let me migrate my previous purchases to Steam if you're going to pull this poo poo.

Wolfgang Pauli fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Apr 16, 2013

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
When a crisis starts a little man in a top hat appears in the in the fence area with no tooltip. Who is this guy and why do i have to click him to see who is on the fence?

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
drat, I hosed up. I forgot that I had Victoria 2 for Steam and not GG so I bought HoD on GG... Is there any way that you can install a GG expansion over a Steam game?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Fintilgin posted:

When a crisis starts a little man in a top hat appears in the in the fence area with no tooltip. Who is this guy and why do i have to click him to see who is on the fence?

A funny little man with a strange mustache?

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Yeah, I just bought HoD off GameStop Impulse or whatever they're calling it nowadays. It offered me a Steam code. My Vicky II and AHD are not Steam copies.

It does not say anything anywhere about it being a Steam copy. Did I miss something?

EDIT: gently caress it, grabbed Vicky II and AHD off the Paradox Webstore for 75% off. Wanted to migrate over there eventually anyway.

Sky Shadowing fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Apr 16, 2013

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

Amazon is selling an "Online Game Code". Is it seriously Steam only? With no digital download? I bought the other two off Amazon and now I have to give money to Gamersgate (which I really don't want to do) just to get this expansion? At least let me migrate my previous purchases to Steam if you're going to pull this poo poo.

What's wrong with Gamersgate? They're the only retailer I know who gives you a straight-up 20% discount (and something like a 1% refund just for shopping there)

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
So my copy of Victoria II crashes everytime it loads up after installing Heart of Darkness. Reinstalling from scratch hasn't helped this either. :v:

Wouldn't be a paradox game, I guess, if it worked right out of the box.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

nutranurse posted:

So my copy of Victoria II crashes everytime it loads up after installing Heart of Darkness. Reinstalling from scratch hasn't helped this either. :v:

Wouldn't be a paradox game, I guess, if it worked right out of the box.

It's been said before - clear your cache in Documents. Uninstalling won't clear it for you.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

Uuuuh guys, Alaska isn't that great...

I wanted to mess around with the dynamic dominions and used the console to grab much of Africa. The result isn't quite as expected.

Yes, that's the only nation I can release in Africa. I released Zanzibar earlier and Liberia (which didn't become a satellite, only sphered for some reason), this is all that's left now.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Ray and Shirley posted:

If you're on the fence I'd wait for a patch to wrangle these dominion issues. The "four Mozambiques" mentioned above seems to be a common problem.

They just need to consolidate. Instead of four Mozambiques it should just add onto my existing Mozambique dominion. Regardless, it can be worked around via change owner but it is obnoxious.

Littlefinger
Oct 13, 2012
I've been almost tempted to break my habit of only getting PI games at Steam sales, but it's old-school Paradox QA all the way down, isn't it.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Man I forgot how bad I am at this game since I gave up on it a couple months after release. I got both expansion packs hoping to jump in but I'm terrible.

I'm playing argentina, I start the game making almost -50 . Ok, that's just the AI buying up stockpiles, it will level out. Hmmm gently caress it isn't leveling out. I'll just cheap my self some money and wait for it to level out. Months go by and I'm still making -50 and running out of my dirty cheat money. I raise taxes, cut all military funding to almost 0 but I'm still losing massive amounts of money.

What am I doing wrong?
Why would a country start the game losing so much money? How did they even get to that point?
Do all countries start like this or just argenina? I remember when the game first came out people complained that unless you were super pro at the game you'd just go bankrupt in the first months, then patches made countries more stable at the start. Now we seem back to massive impossible debts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Baronjutter posted:

Man I forgot how bad I am at this game since I gave up on it a couple months after release. I got both expansion packs hoping to jump in but I'm terrible.

I'm playing argentina, I start the game making almost -50 . Ok, that's just the AI buying up stockpiles, it will level out. Hmmm gently caress it isn't leveling out. I'll just cheap my self some money and wait for it to level out. Months go by and I'm still making -50 and running out of my dirty cheat money. I raise taxes, cut all military funding to almost 0 but I'm still losing massive amounts of money.

What am I doing wrong?
Why would a country start the game losing so much money? How did they even get to that point?
Do all countries start like this or just argenina? I remember when the game first came out people complained that unless you were super pro at the game you'd just go bankrupt in the first months, then patches made countries more stable at the start. Now we seem back to massive impossible debts?

Having just finished an Argentina -> La Plata game in APD, it is rough at the start, yeah. What's your funding for your national stockpile like? I had to dial mine down to like 10% for the first few years.

• Locked thread