Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I don't think that's a bad pick at all. He may not be a PPG guy, but he's going to be a really good player for a lot of years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
You are a gently caress and that's an awesome pick.

Further to all the good stuff you talked about, there's also the fact he was dominant in the OHL playoffs and was just shy of PPG during the Marlies' run last year.

e: Not just the playoffs Kadri was really good in junior. His final year he was one of the best players in the league.
Dat stat line: 56 games played 35-58-93 with 105 PIMs to boot (yeah yeah PIMs aren't a good thing or whatever. In the NHL Kadri also draws penalties at a very good rate.)

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Apr 16, 2013

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Kadri is a great pick, he's very young, scoring quite a bit, and in general it's just miraculous that he succeeds when his coach has played Colton Orr over him at times.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Jordan7hm posted:

You are a gently caress and that's an awesome pick.

Further to all the good stuff you talked about, there's also the fact he was dominant in the OHL playoffs and was just shy of PPG during the Marlies' run last year.

e: Not just the playoffs Kadri was really good in junior. His final year he was one of the best players in the league.
Dat stat line: 56 games played 35-58-93 with 105 PIMs to boot (yeah yeah PIMs aren't a good thing or whatever. In the NHL Kadri also draws penalties at a very good rate.)

Oh, yes, I meant to mention that he has been a playoff monster. Even his AHL run, while not as spectacular as his OHL performances, was still a step above his regular season pace that year. And I place additional importance on that because, again, he's so drat young. Some guys need to learn how to step their game up. Being naturally inclined to that is a big thing, as far as I'm concerned.

E: Yes his last year was great, but those last three years were all on a pretty steeply yet consistently rising trend (going 65->78->93). When I was originally looking into him, I suspected that he might be playing pretty sheltered minutes, but he's sort of middle of the pack, and his O-zone starts are actually around 48% while his finishes are around 51%. Again, being that he's 22, as a GM I'm basically praying/relying on this guy becoming my first line center, because that'd be just swell.

Habibi fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Apr 16, 2013

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Yep. I was really hoping he'd get to me. I thought Paulocaust would take him, but that once we were past that I might be in the clear.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

With the 77th pick in the SAS NHL Fantasy draft, the Pittsburgh Penguins select, from Hobbiton, Martin St. Louis

Pictured: Tyrion Lannister meets Ser Gregor Clegane

Cap hit: $5,625,000 for 3 more years

This was a no brainer for me. Though old, St. Louis continues to defy age, producing at an elite level year after year. He's the type of player who can run an offense for a team, which I was looking for with my first forward pick. I want a guy who can run my powerplay and make everything go. Imagine Marty feeding Chara one-timers all day. Marty is also well respected around the league and fits with my character group of guys. He's the type of player whose way of carrying himself will rub off on the younger players on my team (if I ever draft any). I fully expect him to produce at an elite level for at least a few more years. Another thing of note is that despite his dwarf size he is extremely durable, and he hardly takes any penalties. I see St. Louis as a player who will pay off both in the short term with playoff success and long term with mentoring the rest of my hockey club, and I'm confident that no matter what forwards I give him to play with he'll be able to get the most out of them. He's one of the top playmakers in the league and has been for years.

e: Kadri is a solid pick, I thought about him. You did well to grab him habibi.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

E: ^^^ I thought I'd get poo poo for it because there're a lot of fancy stats guys on here (hell, I like them, too) and I know what is and isn't considered sustainable and I expected I'd get a lot of, "Really? After just X games? Even when that one guy - you know the guy I'm talking about, everybody does, he is THE guy - is still available." But I figured I had pretty good reasons and if nothing else, it'd make for a lively discussion. :)

Jordan7hm posted:

Yep. I was really hoping he'd get to me. I thought Paulocaust would take him, but that once we were past that I might be in the clear.

Actually, I was half-expecting Paulocaust to grab him the round he took Neal (and Neal was the guy I almost took over MaxPac). So things worked out pretty well, as far as I'm concerned.

Habibi fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Apr 16, 2013

Rene Rancourt
Mar 26, 2007

Was my contract good for you, too?
I was on the fence between Marchand and Kadri for my pick, I don't think he's a bad pick at all

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Shoeonhead22 posted:

I was on the fence between Marchand and Kadri for my pick, I don't think he's a bad pick at all

Heh, I considered Marchand for both of my last two picks (he wasn't like top-3, but he came up), but man I just can't stand that smarmy motherfucker so much that I'd have to write some sort of 'no talking and don't even look in my direction' clause into his contract, and I'm not sure the CBA allows for that.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
God drat it Vigilance. Another great pick. Despite his age I'm surprised MSL lasted so long. He's just so drat good. And again those playoff numbers. The guy is made for the postseason and one of the great tragedies of post-lockout NHL is that we haven't been able to see him on a regular basis in May.

e: Also your team is far and away my favorite so far. Even with slow-rear end Chara back there.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Jordan7hm posted:

I watched the series too. They didn't lose because of injuries. They lost because Boston stifled the poo poo out of them and the refs decided to put away their whistles.

they were a distinctly inferior team after the injuries and a better one before. i'm comfortable saying "because of injury"

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Lundqvist/Chara/MSL and he'll probably get a pretty decent center with his next pick. Tough team to beat in the short run.

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Hey, I may be a homer, but I'm not irrational. Kesler is probably a safer pick considering I'm building my team for the present, but Kadri is a great pick for the long run and has a really high ceiling.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Kadri and Marchand were the two others I was considering with my Eriksson pick. A consistent young-ish winger with a cheap contract was just too much to pass up, even if I did like Kadri's ceiling more.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

So, this was tough and I prayed for Zetterberg. But my pick is going to be John Carlson. Dude has a $3.9m hit through 2018. He kicks rear end this year and is, to me, a great choice this late for a first pairing defenseman who can get the puck up ice and contribute offensively.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER

Vigilance posted:

With the 77th pick in the SAS NHL Fantasy draft, the Pittsburgh Penguins select, from Hobbiton, Martin St. Louis

Arrrrrrrggggh eat my steamy poo poo!

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Wow it's almost my turn and someone I want is pretty much guaranteed to be there. Ahhh time to stress about how I want to build this team!

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I didn't think people really bought in to the bullshit media narrative about Kadri but after seeing someone take 6 hours to decide that they should pick a 22 year old top prospect having a PPG season and then write a 3 page essay justifying their decision, I'm not so sure. Then again, Hockey's Future did omit Kadri from their list of top 50 prospects the last time he was eligible but those lists are notoriously terrible.

I am once again docking points to Paulocaust for taking Kesler over Kadri. An image of Burke with Kadri and Karlsson would have been gold. Or even some reference to the now-forgotten offer sheet Kesler signed way back.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

MSL owns, good pick

and twins.gif in fantasy land owns as well

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

eXXon posted:

I didn't think people really bought in to the bullshit media narrative about Kadri but after seeing someone take 6 hours to decide that they should pick a 22 year old top prospect having a PPG season and then write a 3 page essay justifying their decision, I'm not so sure. Then again, Hockey's Future did omit Kadri from their list of top 50 prospects the last time he was eligible but those lists are notoriously terrible.

Yeah for real, if the whole post had just said "Nazem Kadri" I would have thought it was a good pick. I'm pretty happy with Backstrom as my only forward so far but I would have liked to get Kadri given the chance later on.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

eXXon posted:

Uh, ha ha, what you have to understand is that I live in the hockey mecca that is San Jose, California. We don't have a bullshit media narrative on Kadri. We don't have A media narrative on Kadri, or most hockey. And since I had to research him on my own as a result, my main concern was that even top prospects can flame out, and a good year is not a sure prediction of future success. So I truly thought this would be at least a little controversial and felt I needed to explain why, in this case, I didn't think his current performance was just a flash in the pan.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

i am not so sure posted:

So, this was tough and I prayed for Zetterberg. But my pick is going to be John Carlson. Dude has a $3.9m hit through 2018. He kicks rear end this year and is, to me, a great choice this late for a first pairing defenseman who can get the puck up ice and contribute offensively.

Cool, I had him on my list for next round to possibly pair up with Shea Weber.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Habibi posted:

Uh, ha ha, what you have to understand is that I live in the hockey mecca that is San Jose, California. We don't have a bullshit media narrative on Kadri. We don't have A media narrative on Kadri, or most hockey. And since I had to research him on my own as a result, my main concern was that even top prospects can flame out, and a good year is not a sure prediction of future success. So I truly thought this would be at least a little controversial and felt I needed to explain why, in this case, I didn't think his current performance was just a flash in the pan.

Sorry but I'm pretty sure that every hockey fan everywhere must be aware of every aspect of the Toronto Maple Leafs organization. If not, I have several informative pamphlets and brochures which you must read.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

eXXon posted:

Sorry but I'm pretty sure that every hockey fan everywhere must be aware of every aspect of the Toronto Maple Leafs organization. If not, I have several informative pamphlets and brochures which you must read.

One of my friends is a diehard Leafs fan whom I mock mercilessly. Does that count?

mozza
Sep 11, 2005

In Alfie We Trust
The Islanders are proud to select C Mike Richards.

I'm on my iPad so I just posted to keep this thing moving, I'll edit in a picture and explanation in a couple hours.

edit:

He has seen a reduction in ice time, production, and responsibility in Los Angeles, but he will be the Isles #1, likely captain, and will be given every opportunity to succeed offensively. I'm still not convinced he'll ever be a point-per-game player, though he's never had a sniper like Corey Perry to dish to on a regular basis. Still, his two-way play, experience, and decent cap hit makes him a stable long-term anchor for my first line. And no Dry Island as long as he produces.

It was a very tough call between Richards and ________, who I think are comparable players but I ultimately chose Richards for superior two-way play, and the perhaps slightly silly memory of that season he scored two 5-on-3 shorthanded goals. I am getting a bit worried about my D, but I made a list of centres/defense that I would have been fine taking with this pick, and came up with 23, so as long as there's a run on wingers and starting goalies I should be assured at least one of them in round four.

28 years old, $5.750 million until 2019-20, 569gp/162g/260a/422p, winner of all things - Memorial Cup, WJC, Olympic Gold, Stanley Cup

mozza fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Apr 16, 2013

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

mozza posted:

I'm on my iPad so I just posted to keep this thing moving, I'll edit in a picture and explanation in a couple hours.

i was going to take him with my next pick. suprised he lasted this long

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Hey, looks like I'm up! I'll need to go over a few things so I'll make my pick in an hour after class.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

mozza posted:

took long enough

Richie owned :smith:

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I had both of those guys going in the 3rd or early 4th so I like the picks, I'm just not sure I would have taken either of them.

They're both so...boring.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Richards hasn't been asked to play the same role in LA as he did in Philly, but the guy was one of the few remaining players on the board with a recent PPG season to his name. He can play any way you want him to.

This round has killed my list.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
If I've learned anything from watching the Canucks this season, it's how important centre depth is to a good hockey team. And with there being few good centers left on the market, if I'm going to make a one two punch I should grab someone now. So with that, I'm going to draft Jeff Carter. He's a cut above the rest in goals and though he doesn't have many assists, it should be fine. He's a cup winner and showed up big last year so I'm really happy to have him in my second spot. He can forechecking with the best of them and he's gong to help this ducks team for years to come because of his long and relatively inexpensive contract.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY?
loving hell I wanted Carter. Not likely that he'd fall to the fourth round anyway though.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
Some of the names just chosen are some of the guys I was considering with my last two picks. Carlson was one of the two other young D I was considering before I picked Fowler, and Richards, Thornton, and Kesler were in the mix before I picked Koivu.

I still think everyone is too low on Fowler, and this will be the hill that I die on.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Fowler is good but I think you could have waited and probably gotten him in the 4th, maybe even the 5th. Of course you had no way of knowing everyone values him less than you until it was too late, but still.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

*smiles*

*smiles wider*

*grimaces*

With the 80th overall pick, the Florida Panthers are proud to select, out of Baden bei Wein, Austria Thomas Vanek.

We feel that with two excellent young centers already in the fold, this player is the perfect fit for our franchise. Thomas, Ryan and, Tyler should form a deadly powerplay in South Florida. There will be no picture because no one is bigger than the team.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Apr 16, 2013

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Yes, the contract is a quite a bit, but I didn't take on much salary in the first two rounds, and there simply aren't many other players on the board that can do what Vanek does (actually I count just one, and I prefer Vanek over him).

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

canuckanese posted:

Fowler is good but I think you could have waited and probably gotten him in the 4th, maybe even the 5th. Of course you had no way of knowing everyone values him less than you until it was too late, but still.

Yeah, this is the problem I typically have with fantasy drafts, and why I prefer auction drafts over snake drafts. I just saw the run on young D and had to try and think what was going to happen in the next 60 picks. Oh well, I will keep this in mind at the 118th pick (or is it 119?).

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
Vanek is a really good pick and I was going to choose him if Zetterberg wasn't available.

Though I don't think he's great defensively.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I'm here to put asses in the seats. Seguin, RNH, and Vanek are worth your Floridian's ten dollars (literally ten dollars, that's what we charge for admission).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Fitting Richards/Carter go back to back

The Ambiguously Gay Duo are no longer on the same team :smith:

• Locked thread