Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

uhhhm, mr commissioner sir? my clients would like to request one of those continue things. they're...unavailable. no? ohhhh. ok

well with their third pick, the former phoenix coyotes are gonna take derek stepon? stepan! derek stepan!

i'm supposed to say he's a winner, a good defensive guy but still a plus offensive player and he's strong on special situations?

ok sorry!

i think that went well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Stepan was in the group of guys I was considering. He and Benn are an interesting pairing. Stepan is enjoying a lot of success with Nash who does a lot of the things that Benn does.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Yeah, he was one of my backup guys if Thornton wasn't available, though there are still a few guys left that I would have picked over him.

mozza
Sep 11, 2005

In Alfie We Trust
So from earlier, the Islanders selected Mike Richards. (this is not a new pick, just an explanation for pick #18 of round 3)

He has seen a reduction in ice time, production, and responsibility in Los Angeles, but he will be the Isles #1, likely captain, and will be given every opportunity to succeed offensively. I'm still not convinced he'll ever be a point-per-game player, though he's never had a sniper like Corey Perry to dish to on a regular basis. Still, his two-way play, experience, and decent cap hit makes him a stable long-term anchor for my first line. And no Dry Island as long as he produces.

It was a very tough call between Richards and ________, who I think are comparable players but I ultimately chose Richards for superior two-way play, and the perhaps slightly silly memory of that season he scored two 5-on-3 shorthanded goals. I am getting a bit worried about my D, but I made a list of centres/defense that I would have been fine taking with this pick, and came up with 23, so as long as there's a run on wingers and starting goalies I should be assured at least one of them in round four.

28 years old, $5.750 million until 2019-20, 569gp/162g/260a/422p, winner of all things - Memorial Cup, WJC, Olympic Gold, Stanley Cup

mozza fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Apr 16, 2013

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Stephan was a guy I considered because of the contact. I thought about Vanek but the cap hit scared me away. I feel Carter was the best available and made my team stronger.

^^^^^^^^^^^you could have had Carter

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
There are some wingers I like better than Stepan/M.Richards still on the board, but if I was in a position to absolutely have to draft a center they're solid picks. There's maybe one center I for sure like better than both of them, and I suspect he'll go extremely soon.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Thufir posted:

Yeah, he was one of my backup guys if Thornton wasn't available, though there are still a few guys left that I would have picked over him.

i don't think stepan is the best center left but i think he's the best combination of young, talented and effective in multiple roles. i was hoping i'd get carter or richards with this pick to be honest

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Alright I'm going to take Marian Gaborik (RW)

He's 31 years old, and his contract is 7.5 million dollars, but paired with Backstrom I think he's a lock for 30 goals. He's been in the 30-40 goal range virtually every year he was healthy since 2001, with only 2 years scoring less than 30 goals while still playing the majority of the season. Furthermore, his contract expires in 2013-2014 which means I'm not locked into a big contract until he's 40 as is the case with Zetterberg and Carter (two other dudes I wanted), although admittedly their contracts are cheaper in the short term. A contract that expires next season also means he's a potential trade deadline move, which would be an immediate boost to a rebuilding process if it turns out the Predators roster I build sucks poo poo.

EDIT: Lineup so far
Nicklas Backstrom (C)
Oliver Ekman-Larsson (D)
Marian Gaborik (RW)

Jamwad Hilder fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Apr 16, 2013

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Gaborik was my #2 or 3 if Vanek got picked. One of the last (if not the last) elite goal scorers on the board.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

That is certainly some un-Nashville Predators-like offense talent you've got there.

mozza
Sep 11, 2005

In Alfie We Trust

T-Bone posted:

There are some wingers I like better than Stepan/M.Richards still on the board, but if I was in a position to absolutely have to draft a center they're solid picks. There's maybe one center I for sure like better than both of them, and I suspect he'll go extremely soon.

I really felt I needed a centre after having chosen a goalie and winger with my first two picks, and felt the very slight downgrade to M. Richards from (whatever unnamed winger I value) was less than the downgrade from M. Richards to whatever centres would be available in the fourth round.

Carter I had on my list of 23 players, but I would chose Richards over him any day. Though Carter is a better goalscorer, the only other place he has Richards beat is his ability to play C/W equally well. Richards is a superior player IMO.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

T-Bone posted:

Gaborik was my #2 or 3 if Vanek got picked. One of the last (if not the last) elite goal scorers on the board.

That was part of my logic too. There's plenty of guys who can pot you 20 or so but I felt I needed an elite guy to go with a playmaker like Backstrom.

Thufir posted:

That is certainly some un-Nashville Predators-like offense talent you've got there.

Yea but true to Predators form it's a bunch of Euros.

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Mighty, mighty eagle soaring free
Defender of our homes and liberty
Bravery, humility, and honesty...
Mighty, mighty eagle, rescue me!
Dinosaur Gum

Thufir posted:

And un-Nashville Predators-like salaries too.

mozza
Sep 11, 2005

In Alfie We Trust
Gaborik's a great pick too. Literally the only pick that I can't justify for its position is Andrew Ladd, who I'm not convinced would have been taken by anyone else even at this point of the draft. Taylor Hall was picked high but makes sense.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I guess I'm up then. I'll be a couple minutes.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Spamtron7000 posted:

I'm not spending as much as you'd think. My cap hit for 2012-13 is 15.9 mil which is about the same as most teams so far, it's actually less than about a third of the teams who've drafted ahead of me too. It does go up in 2013-14 though when OEL's new deal kicks in.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Spamtron7000 posted:

Pfft, none of them are even making Pekka Rinne money(in cap hit), never mind Shea Weber money.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

mozza posted:

Richards is a superior player IMO.

Honestly I just checked the corsi for the kings this year and Carter was 3rd best with decent minutes and has been a terrific playoff player last year, scores lots of goals and little assists so when we get tight for wingers he can work well without elite help. That's why I got Suter, I can cheap out on Defenseman and still have a guy who's playing all my minutes.

e: length of contact was another big factor. I've got all my players locked up for carrer so far.

I've got 50 mil in cap space

Austrian mook fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Apr 16, 2013

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
He was better last year, but one of the main knocks against Carter in Philly was his disappearing act in April.

e: Also technically we're drafting for the start of a hypothetical full season in 12-13 so a lot of those ages on the spreadsheet are a year off.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Apr 16, 2013

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Alright.

I'm pretty sure this is the best center still on the board.

The Blackhawks are proud to select David Krejci with the 82nd pick in the draft.

Krejci is going to be a great fit behind Spezza. He can step in as a true number one center when Spezza goes down with an injury during the regular season, and for the other 60+ games this gives us a fantastic one-two punch. He can score, he can play solid defense, and he shows up in the playoffs. During Boston's run to the cup Krejci played over 20 minutes a night to lead his team in forward ice time by a wide margin.

He makes $5,250,000 for another year and is only 26.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Jordan7hm posted:

Alright.

I'm pretty sure this is the best center still on the board.

The Blackhawks are proud to select David Krejci with the 82nd pick in the draft.

Krejci is going to be a great fit behind Spezza. He can step in as a true number one center when Spezza goes down with an injury during the regular season, and for the other 60+ games this gives us a fantastic one-two punch. He can score, he can play solid defense, and he shows up in the playoffs. During Boston's run to the cup Krejci played over 20 minutes a night to lead his team in forward ice time by a wide margin.

He makes $5,250,000 for another year and is only 26.

Would have been a decent pick as a 1st line center, pretty great as a 2nd liner.

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Mighty, mighty eagle soaring free
Defender of our homes and liberty
Bravery, humility, and honesty...
Mighty, mighty eagle, rescue me!
Dinosaur Gum
Jeff Carter is a great value for a team wanting a goal-scoring center. He's comparable with Stamkos, and Tavares for that role so getting him in the 3rd round is pretty nice. He's more one-dimensional than those other guys but he's really good at that dimension.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Krejci is a good pick. I sometimes think he's a bit underrated. Interesting since you already have a center, but Spezza and Krejci is a great 1/2 combo, and having both of them on the PP at the same time would be fun.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Like the Krejci pick, although there's still one center out there I like a little more than all of these dudes.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

T-Bone posted:

Like the Krejci pick, although there's still one center out there I like a little more than all of these dudes.

There are two.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

i am not so sure posted:

There are two.

There's a few I think you could make arguments for. Tough to justify taking one guy over another when you can't name the other. :)

As for taking two centers - I really think you need two high end centers to anchor your team. That becomes even more important when your #1 has a chronic back issue. Spezza is always ready to go in the post-season (I think a lot of the time he misses is specifically to ensure he's ready to go in April and May), but you just can't count on him to play every game, sadly.

I'll probably go with another center in the next three rounds.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

i am not so sure posted:

There are two.

I think there are three, maybe four, good first-line centers left. However, there is a pretty big variance in skill from number one to the fourth dude.

e: Actually, I think it's five.

Twin Cinema fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Apr 16, 2013

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Twin Cinema posted:

I think there are three, maybe four, good first-line centers left. However, there is a pretty big variance in skill from number one to the fourth dude.

e: Actually, I think it's five.

There's plenty of good centers left, several of which I think could be first line centers and then a couple more who could probably do it but are better suited for second line duty.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I see six or seven, but I don't know that I would want most of them to be first line centers. They would be good to great second line centers, or fit into a structure like Boston runs where you don't really have a traditional first line.

mozza
Sep 11, 2005

In Alfie We Trust
Krejci was the guy I was debating over Richards. Now I'm curious to see who T-Bone is thinking of, I feel like it will be a head-slapping moment unless it's ______ (so hard to have these conversations).

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

mozza posted:

Krejci was the guy I was debating over Richards. Now I'm curious to see who T-Bone is thinking of, I feel like it will be a head-slapping moment unless it's ______ (so hard to have these conversations).

i thought for sure krecji was tbones mystery dude. i think krecji has peaked tho and i'd rather have someone currently slightly worse but with more upside

i think there's far fewer centers left than people are implying. i only have three left on my 'potential top 2 c' list and two of them are pretty questionable

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

the talent deficit posted:

i thought for sure krecji was tbones mystery dude. i think krecji has peaked tho and i'd rather have someone currently slightly worse but with more upside

i think there's far fewer centers left than people are implying. i only have three left on my 'potential top 2 c' list and two of them are pretty questionable

What kind of list can you possibly have that has only three centers left that you'd put on your top 6? There's a TON of top 6 centers available. First line not so much, but I'd say there are at least two which are indisputably top line guys.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Krejci is .78 ppg over the last two seasons. He probably has peaked offensively. His ice time continues to climb though as he rounds out as a player. Guys with similar careers starts as him seem to maintain at this level of production until their early 30s.

.8 ppg is good for top 30 center performance pretty much every year.

I'd rather build a core that can win right now and add youth to it in a few rounds, especially with how the recent picks have gone. (And Krejci is 26. He's not exactly old.)

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Apr 16, 2013

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

canuckanese posted:

What kind of list can you possibly have that has only three centers left that you'd put on your top 6? There's a TON of top 6 centers available. First line not so much, but I'd say there are at least two which are indisputably top line guys.

it's the kind of list that eliminates a lot of players based on 'probably not good enough to be a top center on a top team'. there's lots of centers left who can technically play center on the top two lines just not if you want your team to be good

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

it's the kind of list that eliminates a lot of players based on 'probably not good enough to be a top center on a top team'. there's lots of centers left who can technically play center on the top two lines just not if you want your team to be good

we're reaching the point of people picking twice and two krejcis is fine even if they're only 'top 30' centres

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
Just a warning, if it gets to me today there will be a delay. I have a physical in an hour, and I have had exactly zero time at work today and the only guy I wanted was Marty St Louis so you can all suck a duck and wait a bit.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
You guys will probably disagree with me when he's picked -- but I think he brings a little more to the table than the rest of these centers (although it's close enough that it's really team build/personal taste).

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
OK, I sent two picks to IANSS, so things should keep moving. Apologies if I hold it up with my 4th, but I want to put more than 3 minutes of research into that pick.

mozza
Sep 11, 2005

In Alfie We Trust
There's still a bunch of #1Cs left. All have flaws (age, contract, defense, production in the 60 range instead of 70-80 etc) but it's not like we're dealing with dregs. They are #1 centres on real NHL teams, after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

There are lots of good veteran centres left. Please keep drafting them, thanks.

• Locked thread