Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The breakdown of reality and consensus seen in JFK conspiracies and Truthers protects the ruling class from scrutiny and fuels media spectacle. It is grimly fascinating to see the last embers of enlightenment democracy and the American Experiment get doused this way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

PeterWeller posted:

People want to bomb us because our government bombs them, not because some shocked and scared victims of an attack engaged in some foolish stereotyping.

We bomb them because of a pervasive otherizing founded on racism and nationalism that allows the average American citizen to view it as murdering "the enemy" and not actual human beings, which is the same mindset that causes people to state things like a man with dark skin in a place he should not be must be a non-citizen (odd how that applies to both the main bombing suspect and the president) and surely some good white American saw him acting suspicious but did nothing because of POLITICAL CORRECTNESS and not because of apathy or selfish disregard.

So yeah, technically you're right, but those actions and their justifications all come from the same ugly place.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I hope it doesn't turn out that a Saudi is behind the Boston bombing. I'd hate to have to go back into Iraq again.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

I hope it doesn't turn out that a Saudi is behind the Boston bombing. I'd hate to have to go back into Iraq again.

Don't sweat it, the odds of the same country coming up twice in a row on the DoD's randomizer is really low.

~*Wheel of imperialism turn turn turn, tell us the country that we should burn*~

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

BiggerBoat posted:

I would say the chance of it being a Saudi is diminishing quickly.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

EDIT: Beat by A Winner is Jew

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Everyone should be investing in Halliburton because if North Korea gets any hotter we're going to have to invade Mongolia.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Everyone should be investing in Halliburton because if North Korea gets any hotter we're going to have to invade Mongolia.

I ain't going to gently caress with no Mongolians. We'd get our asses kicked and then they'd come over here and conquer the poo poo out of us.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I'm pretty sure the Boston attack has them scared shitless that we might actually run with this whole invasion thing.

Bombs go off in Boston, we arrest a Saudi for simply being there, and invade North Korea.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
From what I have heard of Rush today he seems to be working pretty hard for the NRA. Obama is using the Boston tragedy to leverage support for gun regulations blah blah blah.

Also I heard some stuff about Bill Ayers and bombs.

kik2dagroin
Mar 23, 2007

Use the anger. Use it.
Limbaugh was pretty awful today. He spent most of his opening segment berating the media for trying to tie the Boston bombing to the right-wing while throwing out the 'how Bill Ayers and his wife got started in domestic terrorism' meat to his listeners. Then he had a caller come on and smugly state that he was afraid for his upcoming marathon run and would like the government to start regulating ball bearings and pressure cookers. After a commercial break he asked Snerdley to check the premises for pressure cookers, then claimed he had multiple e-mails from listeners that found pressure cookers around where they were. Then he launched into a final tirade about how leftists were totally cool with 9/11 because most people working at the WTC were from Wall Street, which the left views as not people because corporations are not people :wtc:

There is no gently caress you big enough for this guy. Even in the face of a national tragedy he doesn't miss a beat, the hate flows unperturbed. I find it somewhat comforting that he is losing sponsors due to his constant bullshit, but how any company can be associated with this guy is just beyond my comprehension :smith:

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

McDowell posted:

The breakdown of reality and consensus seen in JFK conspiracies and Truthers protects the ruling class from scrutiny and fuels media spectacle. It is grimly fascinating to see the last embers of enlightenment democracy and the American Experiment get doused this way.

How so? The media looking into even the most unusual conspiracy can promote transparency and skeptecism.

Do you mean the distraction of ordinary people disagreeing?

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Zeroisanumber posted:

I ain't going to gently caress with no Mongolians. We'd get our asses kicked and then they'd come over here and conquer the poo poo out of us.

Maybe the conservatives would finally get the giant border fence they've always wanted, though

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Good Citizen posted:

Maybe the conservatives would finally get the giant border fence they've always wanted, though

Wouldn't the Mongolians just tear down that city wall though?

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

William Bear posted:

How so? The media looking into even the most unusual conspiracy can promote transparency and skeptecism.

You have people like Alex Jones just making any crazy connection that comes to mind to attract viewers, while the establishment media doesn't make any connections and just presents official statements in an engaging way. In the long term the layman associates any kind of dissent or troubling connections as fringe nonsense and/or you have individuals all believing in their own connections/theories, making it impossible for them to organize and challenge entrenched interests. An establishment debunking of a conspiracy claim will just be perceived as an attack by true believers while training the average person to reject any unofficial narrative. It makes consensus and democratic change impossible.

Today it would be fantastically easy to dismiss Woodward and Bernstein as conspiracy theorists and deny them mainstream coverage. Looking back, Watergate was the beginning of an anti-elite tone in the media that today implys that if there is collusion or common interests among the powerful everyone would know about it and something would be done.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I turned on Limbaugh long enough to hear him say "We know the Democrats were responsible for 9/11, so we know we can hold them responsible for..." and then I turned it off because holy mackerel. I've been listening to him lately and I've been starting to think he's generally less vile then a lot of people make him sound but that was pretty bad.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Seoinin posted:

~*Wheel of imperialism turn turn turn, tell us the country that we should burn*~

:stare: I swear I've heard this in a cartoon before but I can't remember the exact cartoon.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Azuth0667 posted:

:stare: I swear I've heard this in a cartoon before but I can't remember the exact cartoon.

Probably not that exact phrasing, but I learned a lot about morality from the Warner Brothers and their sister, Dot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvJGDxVFp5Q

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.

kik2dagroin posted:

Limbaugh was pretty awful today. He spent most of his opening segment berating the media for trying to tie the Boston bombing to the right-wing while throwing out the 'how Bill Ayers and his wife got started in domestic terrorism' meat to his listeners. Then he had a caller come on and smugly state that he was afraid for his upcoming marathon run and would like the government to start regulating ball bearings and pressure cookers. After a commercial break he asked Snerdley to check the premises for pressure cookers, then claimed he had multiple e-mails from listeners that found pressure cookers around where they were. Then he launched into a final tirade about how leftists were totally cool with 9/11 because most people working at the WTC were from Wall Street, which the left views as not people because corporations are not people :wtc:

There is no gently caress you big enough for this guy. Even in the face of a national tragedy he doesn't miss a beat, the hate flows unperturbed. I find it somewhat comforting that he is losing sponsors due to his constant bullshit, but how any company can be associated with this guy is just beyond my comprehension :smith:
Were they actually trying to tie the bombing to right-wingers? We do have the thing where conservative pundits ignore reality and vehemently deny that right-wing domestic terrorists exist, but then pinning it on those guys with zero evidence would be kinda dumb. Not as dumb as making poo poo up about the other side being cool with 9/11 because I guess Occupy Wall Street's mirror universe evil twin was able to travel back in time though.

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.
Fox News keeping us scared.

Photo used could be seen by viewers as a white man telling a black man what to do.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

mr. mephistopheles posted:

We bomb them because of a pervasive otherizing founded on racism and nationalism that allows the average American citizen to view it as murdering "the enemy" and not actual human beings, which is the same mindset that causes people to state things like a man with dark skin in a place he should not be must be a non-citizen (odd how that applies to both the main bombing suspect and the president) and surely some good white American saw him acting suspicious but did nothing because of POLITICAL CORRECTNESS and not because of apathy or selfish disregard.

So yeah, technically you're right, but those actions and their justifications all come from the same ugly place.

We bomb them to maintain and demonstrate our hegemony. The systematic otherization is what we do to feel okay about bombing them. Otherwise, I agree completely. However, I don't think it's right to get upset with the victims of an attack for behaving the way they have been conditioned to behave.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Guilty Spork posted:

Were they actually trying to tie the bombing to right-wingers? We do have the thing where conservative pundits ignore reality and vehemently deny that right-wing domestic terrorists exist, but then pinning it on those guys with zero evidence would be kinda dumb. Not as dumb as making poo poo up about the other side being cool with 9/11 because I guess Occupy Wall Street's mirror universe evil twin was able to travel back in time though.

Most of the counterterrorism experts are saying that it looks like a homegrown, right-wing patriot-style bombing, like Oklahoma City in 1995. There's no direct evidence to tie it, but all of the details fit the profile of a right-wing attack.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

AsInHowe posted:

Most of the counterterrorism experts are saying that it looks like a homegrown, right-wing patriot-style bombing, like Oklahoma City in 1995. There's no direct evidence to tie it, but all of the details fit the profile of a right-wing attack.

Is it true AQ did not claim 9/11 attack for years? That's why some are saying to be cautious about who to start blaming. Right wing militias and domestic terrorism is a growing issue and and it needs to be tackled, but I'm not so sure this is that. I honestly do not doubt a lone nutter bomber...who was probably not center-left.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Nonsense posted:

Is it true AQ did not claim 9/11 attack for years?

I do not think they denied it either, I think they knew from the start everyone would know it was them rightaway

Al Qaeda was suspect no. 1 literally the day after

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

A DENVER FAX posted:

I do not think they denied it either, I think they knew from the start everyone would know it was them rightaway

Obviously an old memory here, but I recall an interview with Bin Laden where he very specifically said "we had nothing to do with that" when asked about it.

e: trying to find this is giving me a whole lot of truther bullshit and not much substance, but I think I'm talking about the interview that AJ declined to broadcast that CNN got from them and broadcast anyway. The wikipedia section on respobsibility for the 9/11 attacks mentions it and other statements, including some initial denials.

eviltastic fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Apr 17, 2013

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

A DENVER FAX posted:

Al Qaeda was suspected because first of all it was their MO. At the time of 9/11 they were among the world's best organized and financed terrorist organizations with cells spread out over the world and franchises in different regions. They'd made an attempt on the WTC in 1993, may have been involved in the 1996 Khobar Towers bombing, conducted a simultaneous truck bombing on the United States embassies in Kenya and Tanzania in 1998, and bombed the USS Cole in Aden, Yemen in 2000. Second, there was a lot of intelligence that pointed to a possible terrorist plot. The problem facing US authorities was that they didn't have enough of the pieces together what was happening. They knew something was in the pipelines, had connections to Bin Laden and Al Qaeda, but no clear picture of the shape it would take or the time it could be expected.

This is all just from my recollection from doing research on the subject, and I'm by no means an authoritative source. I do, however, recommend the books The Looming Tower and The Black Banners, by Lawrence Wright and Ali Soufan respectively.

Darkman Fanpage fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Apr 17, 2013

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Crasscrab posted:

Al Qaeda was suspected because first of all it was their MO. At the time of 9/11 they were among the world's best organized and financed terrorist organizations with cells spread out over the world and franchises in different regions. They'd made an attempt on the WTC in 1993, may have been involved in the 1996 Khobar Towers bombing, conducted a simultaneous truck bombing on the United States embassies in Kenya and Tanzania in 1998, and bombed the USS Cole in Aden, Yemen in 2000. Second, there was a lot of intelligence that pointed to a possible terrorist plot. The problem facing US authorities was that they didn't have enough of the pieces together what was happening. They knew something was in the pipelines, had connections to Bin Laden and Al Qaeda, but no clear picture of the shape it would take or the time it could be expected.

This is all just from my recollection from doing research on the subject, and I'm by no means an authoritative source. I do, however, recommend the books The Looming Tower and The Black Banners, by Lawrence Wright and Ali Soufan respectively.

The Dark Side by Jane Mayer is really good too, the beginning section goes into detail on how a bunch of different mistakes, bad judgment calls and inter-agency BS prevented 9/11 from being foreseen and stopped. The rest of the book is on how evil/incompetent the Bush admin was. Be warned, it will make you incredibly angry.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

The Dark Side by Jane Mayer is really good too, the beginning section goes into detail on how a bunch of different mistakes, bad judgment calls and inter-agency BS prevented 9/11 from being foreseen and stopped. The rest of the book is on how evil/incompetent the Bush admin was. Be warned, it will make you incredibly angry.

The 9/11 Commission Report, despite its flaws, definitely lays out how 9/11 could have been prevented if intelligence had just been shared between the agencies.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

PeterWeller posted:

We bomb them to maintain and demonstrate our hegemony. The systematic otherization is what we do to feel okay about bombing them. Otherwise, I agree completely. However, I don't think it's right to get upset with the victims of an attack for behaving the way they have been conditioned to behave.

Oh, I agree, I would never fault someone who was injured or close to someone who was injured in the bombing for screaming for blood. It's the dickheads on talk radio that have no stake in the game other than keeping their ratings going by politicizing the poo poo out of everything that I am upset by.

I actually had brief moment of respect for Sean Hannity today because he basically said gently caress politics, can't we just mourn the tragedy for a minute? I mean it turned out he was using it to blame Obama for politicizing it so soon, but there was that brief moment where I thought he had a non-reprehensible point.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Crasscrab posted:

Actually we had a statement from Osama bin Laden immediately after the attacks occurred.

quote:

It's the land of the Future, uh, right. There's only two kinds of people in the world, now. The Morlocks and the Eloi. The Elois they live above ground, they wear togas, they're all blonde and poo poo like that. It's like the Garden of Eden there, I mean everybody just lays around, listens to harp music. The Morlocks they live underground. Big, hairy suckers like you wouldn't wish on an ape. Right, they're down there with all this machinery, they're doing all the labor, they're making sure that the Elois have enough food and togas. Well this is a great deal if you're an Eloi, right? There's only one thing. Every once in a while a Morlock comes up to the surface and snatches an Eloi. Takes him down there. The Morlocks, they don't eat grapes, they're cannibals, they eat Elois. So when I think about, uh, The Time Machine, it kind of reminds me of New York City, you know. See, you're an Eloi. You and all your friends, walking around like zombies with no loving idea of the poo poo going on down below. So does this make me a Morlock? I don't like to think of myself like that, but I guess it does. Every once in a while one of you gets snatched.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Oh, I agree, I would never fault someone who was injured or close to someone who was injured in the bombing for screaming for blood. It's the dickheads on talk radio that have no stake in the game other than keeping their ratings going by politicizing the poo poo out of everything that I am upset by.

I wasn't sure if you were talking about the Boston Marathon or overseas. :stare:
I guess that makes the "American Taliban" epithet that much creepier.

TASTE THE PAIN!!
May 18, 2004

Just like Michael Savage warned us yesterday, here comes the patsy for the marathon bombing. :rolleye:

E: I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but Rush is going off on some bald faced racism based on the reports of the suspect being 'dark skinned.' He's acting like liberals are afraid to admit the guy's not white already.

TASTE THE PAIN!! fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Apr 17, 2013

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Man, "What about Benghazi, Huh?!?!?!" must be the right wing talking point today regarding the Boston bombing. It's all I hear conservatives talking about.

kik2dagroin
Mar 23, 2007

Use the anger. Use it.
Limbaugh is latching onto the potential arrest like a dog on a soup bone. He just had to walk back his 'confirmation' of an arrest since all the other major news outlets are doing it too. His reasoning behind this is because the media desperately wants it to be a white guy and are waiting until the last second to confirm it was a brown skinned man because

Also he was belittling the fact that arrests do NOT mean guilt. A bombing, a brown skinned man as suspect, Obama wanting to further his gun agenda... Put it together Libs :smuggo:

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

kik2dagroin posted:

Limbaugh is latching onto the potential arrest like a dog on a soup bone. He just had to walk back his 'confirmation' of an arrest since all the other major news outlets are doing it too. His reasoning behind this is because the media desperately wants it to be a white guy and are waiting until the last second to confirm it was a brown skinned man because

Also he was belittling the fact that arrests do NOT mean guilt. A bombing, a brown skinned man as suspect, Obama wanting to further his gun agenda... Put it together Libs :smuggo:

Yeah. Reading the FOX and Yahoo comments about the arrest news is pretty frightening. It's all "hang him high" and "what color is he?" A lot of these comments seem upset that any suspect would even get a fair trial. You know, since fair trials and due process aren't written in the constitution and...

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Fair trials and due process are only enshrined for decent God-fearing Americans, not foreign born terrorist rats. For all the time you guys spend talking about it, you still have a ton of difficulty understanding the conservative mindset. :v:

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
I keep seeing "dark skinned" and those pictures that folks in this thread were fairly certain were UCs along with decided not "dark skinned" people with red circles drawn around them.

kik2dagroin
Mar 23, 2007

Use the anger. Use it.

BiggerBoat posted:

It's all "hang him high" and "what color is he?" A lot of these comments seem upset that any suspect would even get a fair trial. You know, since fair trials and due process aren't written in the constitution and...
Yeah, I think it is very disturbing. Blowhards like Limbaugh only make it worse. Before the announcement he was on air saying that the media will pin it on a white guy to further Obama's gun control legislation. Not directly saying it is a false flag, but it is implicit. Then news come in that it is a non-white guy and he trots it out so fast that he doesn't even wait for the dust to settle. He did the same thing jumping the gun on an arrest being made and had to walk it back on-air, then built up a strawman about how the left still has hope that it be a white guy. Hell, he even had a nice little parting shot at the end where he described the suspect as a (parahphrased) 'trans-gendered lesbian dark skinned person in a blue jump suit wearing a black backpack identified by media sources as a white male.' Even after he had to walk back the story, the concept of a sensitive ongoing investigation eludes him (purposefully).

:smuggo: Just why aren't they releasing the NAME of this dark skinned, did I mention he isn't white, male? Would the media be doing this if it was a WHITE guy?!?!?! Hmmmmmmmm!??!? Why even arrest him?! We know he is obviously guilty!!

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I'm so loving sick of media assholes saying that 'this is the story the media doesn't want you to hear.' Fox News is the loving media, Rush Limbaugh is the loving media.

I think everyone should check out 'Hobo with a Shotgun'; I think it started when the horror of Sandy Hook got mucked up with MY GUNS, but the past couple days there have shown there is no limit now - it's like the Drake and his 'quality entertainment'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I briefly turned on Hannity's radio program, and he segued from Boston into a loving ad for emergency food supplies.

Whoops! Not making that mistake again.