Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turds in magma
Sep 17, 2007
can i get a transform out of here?

Sublimer posted:

Do you live in Vancouver? I go visit there periodically. I went to the Parallel 49 brewery which was awesome, although by law they could only let me have more than a single pint on site. Their beer is really good though. I actually really enjoyed their Watermelon Wit and Pumpkin beer/Oktoberfest mash up. I also went to Whistler Brewery which kind of sucked. Wasn't a big fan of Granville Island either. Have you been to the Alibi Room in Vancouver? That has gotta be one of my favorite beer bars ever. Although if I lived out your way, I'd probably exclusively drink Cantillon. (And maybe Driftwood Singularity when possible).

Alibi room is one of my favourites. If you want to spend a bit more on food you shoudl also check out Chambar, and Biercraft which is priced more like Alibi, and six acres in gastown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Cant Ride A Bus posted:

So, I'm turning 21 on Thursday and am wondering if this thread has any suggestions on which beer I should try (that I haven't had already). So far I've had:

-Wild Blue Lager (the only lager I've EVER liked)

well, since that's the only thing you specifically mention liking, i'm thinking maybe wine coolers, some hard lemonade, or possibly a bomber of a Southern Tier stout. the slightly more serious answer- and kind of the standard response without more to go on- is to buy mixed six-packs until you've determined what styles you like and go from there. also, Serpent's Stout is pretty decent.

Cant Ride A Bus
Apr 9, 2012

"Batman, Bruce Wayne. Bruce Wayne, Batman. Or have you met?"

funkybottoms posted:

well, since that's the only thing you specifically mention liking, i'm thinking maybe wine coolers, some hard lemonade, or possibly a bomber of a Southern Tier stout. the slightly more serious answer- and kind of the standard response without more to go on- is to buy mixed six-packs until you've determined what styles you like and go from there. also, Serpent's Stout is pretty decent.

I should have said that all the beers on the list are ones I've liked. I've had quite a few that I didn't care for but didn't really see a point in adding them to the list.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Cant Ride A Bus posted:

I should have said that all the beers on the list are ones I've liked. I've had quite a few that I didn't care for but didn't really see a point in adding them to the list.

That might be helpful in determining flavor profiles and styles you don't like.

Cant Ride A Bus
Apr 9, 2012

HatfulOfHollow posted:

That might be helpful in determining flavor profiles and styles you don't like.

In that case
-Shiner Bock
-Steel Reserve
-Miller/Bud/Macrobrews in general
-Molson
-Heineken
-Peacemaker Pale Ale

There were a couple others but for the life of me I can't remember what they were.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Belgian stuff: St. Bernardus Abt 12, Chimay Blue (seeing as you did like Red/White). For other IPA's: Avery Maharaja, Smuttynose IPA.

No harm in trying Victory Prima Pils as well, it's one of the better lagers out there that is also easy to get.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Cant Ride A Bus posted:

-Steel Reserve

There's no accounting for taste with these young 'uns...

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Cant Ride A Bus posted:

ah, okay. we like heaping derision upon faux-craft around here, and that Wild Blue is one of the worst drat "beers" i've ever had. otherwise, it looks like you've got a pretty diverse list, so what i said still stands, but maybe try branching out with a sour beer. Flanders Reds (Duchesse, Monk's Cafe) seem to be the best starting point- they're a little sweet, so they're easier on the palate than other sour/wild beers, but still a very different experience than the other stuff you've liked.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

So when I said to toss up some names of things you had but didn't like I wasn't expecting to see a list of macros that nobody likes. In any case, it looks like you enjoy really bold flavors so that's where I'm going to start. You should have easy access to Ballast Point Sculpin and Bell's Two hearted. They're really great IPAs that you should be putting in your rotation. And since you specifically mentioned Ruination and 90 minute I'll through in a couple DIPAs: Great Lakes Alchemy Hour is the beer I can't stop talking about right now and Green Flash Palate Wrecker is what you should drink if you don't want to taste anything but hops for the next few hours. I only see one stout on your list so I'm going to add a few more. Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout is a solid beer. You should also be able to find Yard's Love Stout, Sly Fox O'Reilly's Stout (only available on tap), and Victory Storm King. They're all different styles of stouts and good intros to their respective styles. But honestly I'd say branch out some more. You're drinking a lot of the same styles. Go grab some Victory Summer Love and Allagash White or something else that isn't punching you in the tongue with strong flavors.

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

Sublimer posted:

Do you live in Vancouver? I go visit there periodically. I went to the Parallel 49 brewery which was awesome, although by law they could only let me have more than a single pint on site. Their beer is really good though. I actually really enjoyed their Watermelon Wit and Pumpkin beer/Oktoberfest mash up. I also went to Whistler Brewery which kind of sucked. Wasn't a big fan of Granville Island either. Have you been to the Alibi Room in Vancouver? That has gotta be one of my favorite beer bars ever. Although if I lived out your way, I'd probably exclusively drink Cantillon. (And maybe Driftwood Singularity when possible).

Nope, I'm over in Alberta. Parallel 49 is good and yeah, Whistler and Granville are pretty hit or miss. Everything Phillips (out of Victoria) makes is gold though. Planning a BC brewery road trip this fall which should be a nice follow-up to my beer tour of Seattle last year.

Oddly enough I've never seen or had Cantillon.

Cant Ride A Bus
Apr 9, 2012

HatfulOfHollow posted:

So when I said to toss up some names of things you had but didn't like I wasn't expecting to see a list of macros that nobody likes. In any case, it looks like you enjoy really bold flavors so that's where I'm going to start. You should have easy access to Ballast Point Sculpin and Bell's Two hearted. They're really great IPAs that you should be putting in your rotation. And since you specifically mentioned Ruination and 90 minute I'll through in a couple DIPAs: Great Lakes Alchemy Hour is the beer I can't stop talking about right now and Green Flash Palate Wrecker is what you should drink if you don't want to taste anything but hops for the next few hours. I only see one stout on your list so I'm going to add a few more. Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout is a solid beer. You should also be able to find Yard's Love Stout, Sly Fox O'Reilly's Stout (only available on tap), and Victory Storm King. They're all different styles of stouts and good intros to their respective styles. But honestly I'd say branch out some more. You're drinking a lot of the same styles. Go grab some Victory Summer Love and Allagash White or something else that isn't punching you in the tongue with strong flavors.

I'll definitely look into the Victory Storm King and Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout, was also planning to try Old Rasputin at a friend's recommendation. Other things I'm planning on trying are Troegs Dreamweaver, Lagunitas Lil' Sumpin' Sumpin', and Uinta's Crooked Line Baltic Porter.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
I tried the Adroit Theory tester beer. I still don't like typing the name out, so feel free to observe their ridiculous letter below. Everything about the presentation was over the top. The beer came in a corked/caged 375 Belgian bottle with the funky dead moth logo thing (basically the cover of Wasp Factory in b&w) and a label hanging from the neck containing their manifesto (seriously). The whole thing was taped with a paper label and handwritten batch info letting me know that mine was 'GHOST 004' aka RIS on 2 woods, cherries, aged in rye barrels. I don't know how I feel about saying it, but the beer was actually very good. Complex, dry, viscous, and so much more subtle than anything would indicate.

:negative:

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

ChickenArise posted:

I tried the Adroit Theory tester beer. I still don't like typing the name out, so feel free to observe their ridiculous letter below. Everything about the presentation was over the top. The beer came in a corked/caged 375 Belgian bottle with the funky dead moth logo thing (basically the cover of Wasp Factory in b&w) and a label hanging from the neck containing their manifesto (seriously). The whole thing was taped with a paper label and handwritten batch info letting me know that mine was 'GHOST 004' aka RIS on 2 woods, cherries, aged in rye barrels. I don't know how I feel about saying it, but the beer was actually very good. Complex, dry, viscous, and so much more subtle than anything would indicate.

:negative:

The beer sounds delicious; the company sounds like assholes. That font alone should result in mocking...

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

hated on Adroit Theory a while back and am mean enough to be disappointed that their beer doesn't suck as much as their fonts, presentation, bullshit revolutionary jargon... well, everything else about them. way to provide a bad link, too (untapd.com)!

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

funkybottoms posted:

hated on Adroit Theory a while back and am mean enough to be disappointed that their beer doesn't suck as much as their fonts, presentation, bullshit revolutionary jargon... well, everything else about them. way to provide a bad link, too (untapd.com)!

I'm pretty sure a high school "computer class" student did their website, too:

http://adroit-theory.com/BAYS/BAYS.html

Do you have 2 days experience coding in HTML? You, too, can make a brewery's website!

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Boneyard's got a horrible website that's nothing but graphics and silly fonts too. Luckily they appear to have abandoned it largely in favor of Facebook.

global tetrahedron
Jun 24, 2009

Looks like a Diablo strategy guide. Also they misspelled Untappd.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
My mom, who is somewhat connected to Knee Deep, decided to surprise my brother and I with the whole spread of Knee Deep 22s when we came home to visit. I really just wish they'd focus on less boozy beers, 11% is just way too loving much (Simtra and Hop Shortage). Their Citra beer is nice!

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

funkybottoms posted:

There's pretty much no way to stand out anymore without a dumb gimmick, I'm afraid.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
I can finally say I'm proud to have a decent bar down the road from me. Their Beermenu isn't as fancy as many of Philly's bars, but I'm happy as hell that it's 5 minutes away. If you're in the area this place is certainly worth checking out as their beer list is always solid. I'm anxious to try Carton's IPA, I hear it's one of Jersey's best beers.

Also the best thing about my new job, I get everything at cost. I couldn't believe it when they rang me up for a 6 pack of Rye of the Tiger for $5. Holy cow!

Midorka fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Apr 16, 2013

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Angry Grimace posted:

There's pretty much no way to stand out anymore without a dumb gimmick, I'm afraid.

i would like to think good beer would be enough, but i guess when you're a marketer first and a brewer second, that's the route you're gonna take.

speaking of regional beer stuff, any of you seen this? anything from Legend beating Cellar Door is laughable (not that aren't other jaw-droppers).

funkybottoms fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Apr 16, 2013

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???

Angry Grimace posted:

Fairly sure you're being sarcastic here but it's the internet and ya never know, so...

Be it a good brewery, good band, good restaurant, etc...if you're producing a product at a level superior to your competition, word will get out and you will prosper as long as you don't financially submarine your own efforts.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

funkybottoms posted:

i would like to think good beer would be enough, but i guess when you're a marketer first and a brewer second, that's the route you're gonna take.

This is the next wave of craft beer. Graduated homebrewers with marketing degrees, young people with a big loan and some Blichmann hardware, and a complete and total loving assault on the public about their brand, their image, their message. Nobody's drinking Stone because they feel like a badass when they crack open an Arrogant Bastard. Did the marketing draw them to bottle #1? Sure, very possible, but it's not what gets them to buy bottles #2-25. When someone sees a beer drinker choking down a craft beer going "ugh, this sucks, but I love that label and this shirt I have from them!" just let me know so I can be proven wrong.

I'm seeing a lot of breweries opening up locally who are focusing on the marketing WELL before the quality of the beer. I get people knocking Modern Times for their "hipster-as-poo poo" kickstarter page, but I also have supreme confidence they're going to dial in their recipes until they're friggin MINT. I don't think places like this Adroit Theory, or more locally, Saint Archer Brewery, are going to do that. If the marketing can drive folks to buy just one bottle, and you can do that more than the next guy, I guess that's going to pay the bills; there's just going to be a new stratification of craft breweries out there, creating a lovely little bubble in the middle to eventually pop and bring things back down to rational levels of growth with parallel achievements in quality.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

funkybottoms posted:

speaking of regional beer stuff, any of you seen this? anything from Legend beating Cellar Door is laughable (not that aren't other jaw-droppers).

What's even funnier is that Cellar Door won the popular vote by a fairly large margin but lost the "panel vote". Cellar Door is awesome. The judges seem to be confused about what they are judging. Maybe they are only looking at the labels? Cellar Door does have a pretty awful/unreadable label.

I noticed some similar incidents a few other times too. Small Craft Warning lost in the first round but it had more than double the reader votes of it's competition. How you gonna do that to Small Craft Warning? It probably should have beaten Legend Pilsner right from the beginning, then advanced to the quarterfinals and lost to Cellar Door.

Midorka posted:

I can finally say I'm proud to have a decent bar down the road from me. Their Beermenu isn't as fancy as many of Philly's bars, but I'm happy as hell that it's 5 minutes away. If you're in the area this place is certainly worth checking out as their beer list is always solid. I'm anxious to try Carton's IPA, I hear it's one of Jersey's best beers.

There's nothing wrong with that list. Just drink $5 pints of Nugget Nectar all night.

deedee megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Apr 16, 2013

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

funkybottoms posted:

These are always infuriating, like those commercials with the Pizza Hut (or was it Domino's?) pasta being served at a restaurant and everyone freaking out over how good it was. :argh: loving plebs

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

Speaking of Stillwater Cellar Door, I had it like a year ago at a tiny bar and loved it. I haven't been able to find it anywhere in Massachusetts since... am I dumb or is it just hard to find around here?

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

wattershed posted:

Be it a good brewery, good band, good restaurant, etc...if you're producing a product at a level superior to your competition, word will get out and you will prosper as long as you don't financially submarine your own efforts.

This is wonderful in theory but it's simply not true. Being a better "artist" or "craftsperson" doesn't mean you'll be commercially successful. I've known many, many people in my life who have produced art well worth commercial attention that haven't made a net dollar on their output. Marketing, dumb luck, shady business practices, etc. are just as likely as stepping stones to monetary success as "good" product. It sucks that's true, but it is.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Midorka posted:

Also the best thing about my new job, I get everything at cost. I couldn't believe it when they rang me up for a 6 pack of Rye of the Tiger for $5. Holy cow!

Congrats on the new job! Now send me cheap beer :)

To the Central Jersey guy looking for recommendations, I really hope you don't work at my liquor store (Somerset) cause that would be kind of awkward. But what they said already is true - just try everything! At minimum a quick check of BA on your phone is enough to confirm you're not about to drop money on complete swill (I usually look for 80-85+ on there in general, dunno about others on here) before you buy. Just don't buy anything in a Pepto Bismol pink bottle.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
You all should read this thread. It started with Marshall Wharf in Maine and now there are about 10 New England breweries all donating beer to be sold for 100% donation to charity for those affected by the bombing at the Boston Marathon yesterday. They are also taking in bottles and from people and stores for raffle. All of this was organized today. So far there is:

quote:

Shipyard, Cape Ann, Jack's Abby, Marshall Wharf, Brash Brewing, Battle Road, Maine Beer, Allagash, Atlantic Brewing, Oxbow, Left Hand & Night Shift. All in the house tomorrow night @ Framingham Tavern. Buy a beer for Boston!

http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/buy-boston-a-beer.83090/

So everyone in the area who can make it, come out. Let's show our love through beer

TenaciousTomato fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Apr 17, 2013

Cant Ride A Bus
Apr 9, 2012

Podima posted:

Congrats on the new job! Now send me cheap beer :)

To the Central Jersey guy looking for recommendations, I really hope you don't work at my liquor store (Somerset) cause that would be kind of awkward. But what they said already is true - just try everything! At minimum a quick check of BA on your phone is enough to confirm you're not about to drop money on complete swill (I usually look for 80-85+ on there in general, dunno about others on here) before you buy. Just don't buy anything in a Pepto Bismol pink bottle.

I work at a store in Montgomery, so no worries about it being the same store. And I wouldn't try the pink bottle just based on the name alone. Maple Bacon ale just sounds gross.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

danbanana posted:

This is wonderful in theory but it's simply not true. Being a better "artist" or "craftsperson" doesn't mean you'll be commercially successful. I've known many, many people in my life who have produced art well worth commercial attention that haven't made a net dollar on their output. Marketing, dumb luck, shady business practices, etc. are just as likely as stepping stones to monetary success as "good" product. It sucks that's true, but it is.

I think of a billion terrible bands, or ideas for websites, or anything that can be commercialized, and the norm is that only the producers of the product seem to think their work is good, and perhaps a close circle of people who are biased and want them to succeed. Having a niche audience for a niche interest isn't the same parallel as a brewery producing quality beer, a public consumable. If a brewer with great talent signs on to work at a place with a poor business plan, their quality beverages may not last long in that specific building, but that brewer can move on to another place and be choosy to the point of waiting to work for a place with a good business plan, at which point the combination of quality beer and good economics succeeds as it should.

If we're talking literal art - painting, exhibit installations, etc - that is work done for a small audience and an even smaller base of consumers (art buyers). In that realm, those people can go a lifetime being underappreciated for their talent largely because they're not aiming to make a mass consumable and therefore have a relative ceiling to their adoration and potential for monetary success. I don't see how a brewery (or a talented individual making beer) runs into that same problem if they're skilled at their craft in the artistic and economic arenas. They might have bad luck here, or deal with a shady business person there, but eventually (if they can persist at their talents, and WANT to persist - giving up and being unable to do something are two different things) if there's an audience out there the connection will be made.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

wattershed posted:

Fairly sure you're being sarcastic here but it's the internet and ya never know, so...

If only. Sometimes this happens, but frequently that brewery does so with the "gimmick" of extremely limited availability, and beer nerds overhype it.

Garregus
Aug 10, 2002
I am not surprised Legend is winning, it certainly doesn't have anything to do with the beer though.

I had a much longer rant, but that wasn't productive. I am not a fan of Trenches but this one caught my eye and I think ties all this together:

http://trenchescomic.com/comic/post/granularity

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Glottis posted:

If only. Sometimes this happens, but frequently that brewery does so with the "gimmick" of extremely limited availability, and beer nerds overhype it.

And to ride that curve long term, sooner or later people will understand/realize that even though it's limited doesn't mean it's necessary good, and sales will wane.

As for beers from places we like a lot, popped into a place I heard had Sucaba for relatively cheap, bought the two bottles they still had. The boxes they came in almost seemed wet, as if they were...old? Opened the boxes and discovered I just grabbed a pair of 2012s. Excellent beer run. Inadvertent vertical established!

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Angry Grimace posted:

If it doesn't say "2013" it is last year's. They added a date-stamp to the front of the Reserve Series boxes. Also, see:

http://beerpulse.com/2013/04/3500-cases-of-firestone-walker-parabola-imperial-stout-set-to-ship-151/

wattershed posted:

And to ride that curve long term, sooner or later people will understand/realize that even though it's limited doesn't mean it's necessary good, and sales will wane.

As for beers from places we like a lot, popped into a place I heard had Sucaba for relatively cheap, bought the two bottles they still had. The boxes they came in almost seemed wet, as if they were...old? Opened the boxes and discovered I just grabbed a pair of 2012s. Excellent beer run. Inadvertent vertical established!

Well I just went and checked my bottle... 2012 :stare: Inadvertent vertical crew checking in. It was like $14 too which is about the same as I paid for 2013 Sucaba a few months back. Whatever man.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

I had a Sucaba 2012 not too long ago. It is amazing and worth every penny. Were it not for King Henry, it would be my all-time favourite BA barleywine.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

crazyfish posted:

I had a Sucaba 2012 not too long ago. It is amazing and worth every penny. Were it not for King Henry, it would be my all-time favourite BA barleywine.

I need to do a Sucaba back to back with a Straight Jacket, because I think the latter is nearly as good.

Aratoeldar
Mar 21, 2005

Cant Ride A Bus posted:

I'll definitely look into the Victory Storm King and Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout, was also planning to try Old Rasputin at a friend's recommendation. Other things I'm planning on trying are Troegs Dreamweaver, Lagunitas Lil' Sumpin' Sumpin', and Uinta's Crooked Line Baltic Porter.

I'll add Lagunitas Pils and Ayinger Bräu Weisse. When you buy the Tröegs Dreamweaver, make sure you buy a six pack. The packaging has instructions on how to pour a proper German style hefe-weizen.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
So just to clarify, nobody has actually gotten 2013 Parabola yet, correct? I must not miss it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

crazyfish posted:

I recently did a 3 year vertical of Sucaba/Abacus. I thought it held up great to age, the 2011 was the best drinking of the bunch, while the 2013 tasted a bit hot and a bit heavy on coconut. This is against what I had expected because I remember 2012 being near perfect fresh. I'll probably buy another 2013 and age it for a few years to see what happens.