Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Miranda
Dec 24, 2004

Not a cuttlefish.

Leelee posted:

I think it's interesting that your parents are clowns! Unless you just mean that they're just doofy.

Sadly yes I mean they are just doofy...they are English teachers though, they're kind of like clowns...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Miranda posted:

Sadly yes I mean they are just doofy...they are English teachers though, they're kind of like clowns...

I'm just imagining a clown teacher, honking and wildly gesticulating at a blackboard. Thank you.

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars

Lizard Wizard posted:

I'm just imagining a clown teacher, honking and wildly gesticulating at a blackboard. Thank you.

Then the kid in the back keeps pooing everywhere and just when you think administration is going to take him away, the straight-a student turns out to be a changeling and rushes to the guy, but slips on the teacher's banana peel and slides out the door

HONK HONK

SS13 has ruined clowns for me

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

DicktheCat posted:

Apparently the South and the Netherlands aren't so different. How do they get away with calling them that kind of thing???

Because the Netherlands doesn't have a large amount of black citizens descended from slaves, i think, dude. I mean Americans rarely get up in arms about the Fighting Irish but that probably wouldn't fly in Northern Ireland you know? Dynamics of ethnicity and power are different from one place to another.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!
The PYF weirdos and strange people thread has several youtube videos of bronies defending their love of My Little Pony in classroom presentations; while those feature uni students, finding bronies among faculty is kind of :wtc: I think:

I'm chairing a panel at an academic conference in a couple of weeks, so I've contacted the people in my group to ask them for biography (so I can introduce them). Everyone has given me stuff about where they teach, what their areas of interest and research are, what their papers will be about. I followed up by asking if anyone had any fun stuff or human interest bits they'd like me to add, and while a couple of them wrote stuff about their hobbies, &c., this one guy, who is tenured faculty at a fairly big university, reacted as if he's been waiting his whole life for this opportunity.

So far he's sent several massive emails about his love and devotion to MLP and how it's really an adult programme, and how involved he is with several broney groups. Could I please help him spread the word, and am I interested in learning more?

My face on reading the email: :stare:

My face on reading his request that I tell the group about his love of ponies and how bronies are a much maligned group: :stonk:

(The conference has nothing to do with television, media, children's tv, ponies, bronies, or anything like that. His paper is on a completely unrelated, straightforward academic research project.)

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Ms Boods posted:

The PYF weirdos and strange people thread has several youtube videos of bronies defending their love of My Little Pony in classroom presentations; while those feature uni students, finding bronies among faculty is kind of :wtc: I think:

I'm chairing a panel at an academic conference in a couple of weeks, so I've contacted the people in my group to ask them for biography (so I can introduce them). Everyone has given me stuff about where they teach, what their areas of interest and research are, what their papers will be about. I followed up by asking if anyone had any fun stuff or human interest bits they'd like me to add, and while a couple of them wrote stuff about their hobbies, &c., this one guy, who is tenured faculty at a fairly big university, reacted as if he's been waiting his whole life for this opportunity.

So far he's sent several massive emails about his love and devotion to MLP and how it's really an adult programme, and how involved he is with several broney groups. Could I please help him spread the word, and am I interested in learning more?

My face on reading the email: :stare:

My face on reading his request that I tell the group about his love of ponies and how bronies are a much maligned group: :stonk:

(The conference has nothing to do with television, media, children's tv, ponies, bronies, or anything like that. His paper is on a completely unrelated, straightforward academic research project.)

Honestly, I thought the whole brony thing only really existed in the States until about a month and a half ago. I was meeting someone at a coffeeshop in Cork, Ireland and they were running late so I bought myself a coffee and took a seat. While I was waiting, I heard a group of guys talking about videogames. A couple of them were neckbeards and I think one of them actually had a fedora or some kind of similar hat on, but some of them actually looked perfectly normal. Then one of them said something about Fallout and immediately another one said "Hey, guys, did you hear that someone's making a My Little Pony mod for Fallout 3?". And the rest of them thought that was loving awesome. I wasn't even eavesdropping, their entire MLP conversation was in this loud, excited, almost shouting tone. It was weird as hell. The place had this outside area with a bunch of tables, and then more tables inside. The bronies were in a corner of the outside area, and as their pony conversation went on I noticed that everyone else was slowly migrating inside, away from them. I would have followed if I hadn't been watching for the guy I was supposed to meet. They were still going at it like 15 minutes later when the guy I was meeting showed up, and he was so weirded out that he immediately suggested we head somewhere else.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

Dauntasa posted:

Honestly, I thought the whole brony thing only really existed in the States until about a month and a half ago. I was meeting someone at a coffeeshop in Cork, Ireland and they were running late so I bought myself a coffee and took a seat. While I was waiting, I heard a group of guys talking about videogames. A couple of them were neckbeards and I think one of them actually had a fedora or some kind of similar hat on, but some of them actually looked perfectly normal. Then one of them said something about Fallout and immediately another one said "Hey, guys, did you hear that someone's making a My Little Pony mod for Fallout 3?". And the rest of them thought that was loving awesome. I wasn't even eavesdropping, their entire MLP conversation was in this loud, excited, almost shouting tone. It was weird as hell. The place had this outside area with a bunch of tables, and then more tables inside. The bronies were in a corner of the outside area, and as their pony conversation went on I noticed that everyone else was slowly migrating inside, away from them. I would have followed if I hadn't been watching for the guy I was supposed to meet. They were still going at it like 15 minutes later when the guy I was meeting showed up, and he was so weirded out that he immediately suggested we head somewhere else.

Ah - for clarity: the conference is being held out in the States, and this bronfessor is from a US university. Judging from other things he's mentioned about himself, he's probably in his early 50s.

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

Ms Boods posted:

So far he's sent several massive emails about his love and devotion to MLP and how it's really an adult programme...

You know, as a chick who was collecting these drat plastic mythical ungulates since she was about six, this will never stop being the WTC aspect of Bronies for me. Whatever you think about it (and I apologize in advance but I am guessing most of you are male and thus are not keenly aware of just how loving bleak and depressing the world of pop culture directed specifically at girls is), this is about the only show for little girls made by people who actually give a poo poo about what they're sending out to their audience. So, can't those girls have it to themselves? I want to be able to watch this with my younger cousins without things like Derpygate haunting me.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.
I'm still working on reading through the thread, but I have one (ok, two) I need to share.

The last two nights in a row I have had small parties at my house, generally nine people or so, just really close friends. Last night I decided to teach everybody a drinking game called Rage Cage (I am pretty sure it has other names too but that is the one I know). All you need to know is that it involves drinking a whole lot of tiny portions of alcohol. You can easily end up drinking a lot, but it is all in single-mouthful doses. When I was setting up the game by pouring little bits of alcohol into a poo poo ton of cups, I starting filling them with a beer, forgetting that several girls at the party adamantly HATED beer, and that I really should be using the Mike's Hard they had bought specifically for the game. Beer only made it into a few cups, but they were left alone, to be used. I just figured I would drink them, or if worst came to worst the girls could suck it up and handle a single mouthfull of beer. The game starts, and it is intense. It is my favorite game because it is really exciting and everyone can play all at once. We're screaming, laughing, and having a blast. The game goes on and I realize I haven't had to drink once. Those beers are still there. One girl is in a spot where she is having to drink a lot. Every time she reaches for a new cup, it is getting harder and harder for her to find one without beer in it. Finally there is only beer left, and she needs to take another drink. She is scream-laughing about how she can't, how she hates beer. Finally she closes her eyes and downs it. For a fleeting second, she makes the most horrible grimace. Then, she turns and yaks onto the garage floor. Now, someone puking from drinking sonething they find awful isn't the WTC. The WTC moment was this; she had been eating food and drinking purple drinks all night. What was on the floor was just spit and beer. I would have accused her of just spitting, but I had watched her swallow, and watched her muscles work to throw that stuff back out. This means that it is entirely possible to throw up without emptying your stomach. That blew my mind, the idea that your throat muscles can just say nope and reverse a swallow.

The other WTC moment was during the party two nights ago when a different girl (and one of my best friends) just decided it was bath time. I was informed of this, and walked into the bathroom to find her naked in the tub, which oddly surprised me (I don't know what I was expecting). She invited me in, and I accepted. It is worth knowing that she is an ex of mine (we transitioned seamlessly back into friendship), and that I had never seen her naked when we were dating because she felt awkward. I also have a long-term girlfriend, who knows this ex and loves her. Anyways I climbed into the tub and proceeded to take an hour long drunk bath where we sat next to each other and talked about stuff like institutionalized racism and queer issues. The WTC moment was when I woke up sober and remembered. The other WTC was when we both independantly realized that drunk baths are loving amazing, and did it again last night, except with everyone in the bathroom so we could all chat.

I told my girlfriend and she thought it was hilarious.

Samfucius has a new favorite as of 03:40 on Mar 25, 2013

squeee
Apr 23, 2009

the thrill of the chase.

Samfucius posted:

That blew my mind, the idea that your throat muscles can just say nope and reverse a swallow.

I've actually had this happen to me but it was because I had just had a upper-endoscopy right before. The nurse gave me a cup of ginger ale and told me that I wasn't allowed to leave the hospital till I had either A) peed or B) thrown up. Being the barfophobe that I am, I immediately went pee and came back to sip at my ginger ale but it just would not go down. I didn't heave or gag or anything but I could literally feel my throat muscles going in reverse to force the liquid out. My sip would get about halfway down (or so it felt) and then it'd just come back up. Thinking about it now is definitely WTC for me because the feeling was so weird.

Not nearly as exciting as some stories but bodily things really freak me out sometimes. :shobon:

Hydrolith
Oct 30, 2009

Samfucius posted:

I had never seen her naked when we were dating because she felt awkward.

This part is a pretty big :wtc: by itself

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

Hydrolith posted:

This part is a pretty big :wtc: by itself

It was without exaggeration the most awkward and WTC relationship I have ever had.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Dickweasel Alpha posted:

Then the kid in the back keeps pooing everywhere and just when you think administration is going to take him away, the straight-a student turns out to be a changeling and rushes to the guy, but slips on the teacher's banana peel and slides out the door

HONK HONK

SS13 has ruined clowns for me

"PRINCIPAL DOOR"
"PRINCIPAL KILL YOURSELF LAW 2"

TurboTax
Oct 9, 2012

Samfucius posted:

For a fleeting second, she makes the most horrible grimace. Then, she turns and yaks onto the garage floor. Now, someone puking from drinking sonething they find awful isn't the WTC. The WTC moment was this; she had been eating food and drinking purple drinks all night. What was on the floor was just spit and beer.

I think it's not all that uncommon to only throw up part of what's in your stomach, especially if you're just nauseous because you're unused to something and not actually ill. It's like a more intense version of a gag reflex.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

TurboTax posted:

I think it's not all that uncommon to only throw up part of what's in your stomach, especially if you're just nauseous because you're unused to something and not actually ill. It's like a more intense version of a gag reflex.

I feel that, except I mentioned that she had been drinking (a lot of) purple stuff because if it had made it to her stomach it would have had a tinge when it came back out. I know that when you throw up you don't always have to empty the tank, but this was different. It never reached the tank to begin with. That was what made it a :wtc: moment.

Edit: just looked back at my original post and saw the confusing word choice. When I said "emptying the stomach" I didn't intend to mean "completely empty", but instead "evacuate any amount from". My bad.

Samfucius has a new favorite as of 12:15 on Mar 25, 2013

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

Well, I've been reading this thread to kill time for a while now, and I just remembered that I, in fact, do have a :wtc: story to tell.

I'M GONNA KILL YOU ALL (or how I'll never drink with Blondie again)

A lil' backstory first. I, as well as most of the other people involved, am 17, so yeah, we're all dumbass highschoolers. The thing I'm about to tell y'all happened last New Year's Eve.

See, I live in Poland. Over here, underage drinking isn't exactly an uncommon phenomenon - you'd be hard pressed to find a 16 years old who's never tasted alcohol. And my friends definitely aren't the exception. (nor am I, though I always limit myself to a few beers and eventually a shot or two)

The titular Blondie has been somewhat of a friend of mine ever since the beginning of middle school. He's a pretty chill dude overall (most of the time, as we found out), into wrestling and stuff like that and much less nerdy than the rest of my middle school friends group. Somewhat of an rear end in a top hat, but overall a decent person.

All that happened at my other middle school friend's house. That other friend would Pete. Pete, at the first glance, is your typical run-of-the-mill neckbeard: short, chubby, glasses in thick rims, fan of Warhammer and Star Wars, browses 4chan. He also has a literal neckbeard. Yet, he's also one of my best friends, and an amazingly friendly, amiable and intelligent guy. Pete's got giant spine problems - something genetic IIRC - and has to wear an ortophedic corset, as well as spend a lot of time in the hospital.

I should probably mention that Pete's father is one of the chillest people I've met. He used to be a tennis coach, but had a car accident and, as the result of that, is paralyzed from the waist down. Despite that, he's running his own business. He's also a really funny guy, with a somewhat crude sense of humor sometimes (Pete's got that too, guess it runs in the family).
Oh yeah, and he lets us drink alcohol. He thinks that, since teenagers will drink anyway, he might as well have them do that in a controlled environment. Whether that's true or not is an another debate for another time, but I never complained about it :v:

The four other people at the party (well, not much of a party, just some nerds meeting to knock back a few, talk about stuff and try to play Metal Gear Solid 3) were Fatass (that's actually his nickname. Sounds a lot less pejorative in Polish. Fatass looks like a stereotypical neckbeard, he even has a ponytail, but antisocial is the last word I'd call him), Socha (I have no loving idea how to translate that, it's a piece of farming equipment. Dude's your typical metalhead), Seal (a longtime friend of Blondie's, chill guy with long hair) and Seal's girlfriend, Olivia. (beats me why he decided to bring his girlfriend to a nerd gathering, but she seemed to be having fun, though her parents picked her up at 3 AM, which was something they agreed on before the party). And myself, of course (I'm a lil' bit overweight, with long hair I have to fight to not look like a pudgier clone of the assassin from No Country For Old Men)

Onto the story proper!
We met at about 6 or 7 PM. Seal and girlfriend were a bit late, but eventually we all got together. I brought my Xbox, everybody else brought liquor (pretty much par for the course :v: I would've brought something too, but I figured that Pete's ginormous stockpile of alcohol should be enough). Blondie and Fatass immediately started knocking back shots of vodka. Yeah, before we even ate something. They, along with Socha's help, managed to empty a bottle in record time. You can probably see where this is going. Now, Blondie always was a lightweight. He'd start calling for alcohol before midnight, drink a few shots and a beer and fall asleep at about 1PM. We got used to that, because hey, at least then we could play games undisturbed :v:. Well, as it turned out, this night was different.

Fast forward to midnight. Blondie's barely standing, Fatass's knocking shots like it ain't no thang, everybody else definitely isn't sober, but we aren't drunk, either. Just a bit buzzed is all. We go out onto the balcony, watch the fireworks, drink some champagne, the works. (the apartment's on the ground floor, though there's some distance between the balcony and the ground because the whole complex's built on a slope. This'll be important in a while). We come back, chill on the giant-rear end couch, eat some more pizza, drink some more. Blondie's got a red face and is obviously shitfaced. He tries to take part in an arm-wrestling contest (loser drinks a shot of vodka), obviously loses, gets drunk even more. He's gotten pretty incoherent, so we plop him in the corner of the couch (it was one of these corner ones, the drat thing was big, about twice as large as a regular one) and go on to play some games, talk some, get some weaker drinks.

At 3PM Olivia has to go, so we wave her goodbye, and off she goes. A while after that, Blondie starts drunkenly arguing with Pete. (fucker still's not asleep, I have no idea how) Eventually, Pete gets pissed off and tells him to gently caress off. And he mentions Blondie's mother in a throwaway comment. (not an insult, I think it was something more along the lines of "shut up or we'll call your mother to take you home").

Blondie, in his very much drunken state, takes that as an insult and starts loving bawling. We tell the son of a bitch to shut up, he doesn't. Equally embarrassed and annoyed, we try to convince him to stop, well guess what he loving doesn't. At this point we've all but gone bonkers from the noise. He falls from the couch (slides down would be the more fitting description, actually) and is just sitting on the floor, crying. Me and Socha try to tell him to shut the gently caress up, fed up with his behavior. He starts puking, pukes all over the floor, sofa and himself. I just go gently caress this and go to the other room to hopefully separate myself from the noise.

At some point, Blondie just snaps. He starts trashing about the place, somehow not breaking anything. And he's yelling about how his mother's dead (:psyduck:) and how it's our fault, Pete's fault in particular. Fatass and Socha, both pretty good fighters, try to hold him down. But no, once the redheaded revenge machine's on, it can't be stopped. We beat a hasty retreat to the other room, I grab Pete's bayonet (he's a fan of military stuff, has an AK bayonet and a PKM ammo box just laying around on a shelf) on my way, don't want Blondie to have a knife. We want to stay (what if Blondie hurts Pete's father? The dude's just laying in bed, can't really defend himself!), but Pete ushers us out onto the balcony and closes the door.

We're furious. I have no idea what to do. Socha's hyperventilating because he's both tired of wrestling the bastard and pissed off that something might happen to Pete's father. Fatass's going bonkers, waving around Pete's sword replica (did I mention Pete has a sword replica he's keeping behind a radiator? Not sharp, but still can mess someone up) and muttering that if a hair falls of Pete's father head, he's gonna loving kill Blondie. Me and Seal don't really know what to do.

Eventually, after a while of knocking on the glass, Pete hurriedly opens the door and throws us our shoes and the front door key. Me and Seal leave the two other guys on the balcony, grab the keys and the shoes and go around the block, back through the front door and back into the apartment. Blondie seems to have calmed down some, now he's just screaming. We call Blondie's father, he comes by after an agonizing 20 minutes, grabs his son by his shirt's collar and carts him off home, all the while listening to us apologize profusely for what happened.

We decided to never, ever, drink a single drop of alcohol with Blondie again.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is my :wtc: story. I knew that alcohol could do that to people, but seeing it happened to someone you thought you knew well is definitely something different.

Motherfucker that's a hell of a wall of text.

Hydrolith
Oct 30, 2009
C'mon, who hasn't had a night of them or a friend going crazy, puking everywhere and/or bawling their eyes out while piss drunk?

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

Hydrolith posted:

C'mon, who hasn't had a night of them or a friend going crazy, puking everywhere and/or bawling their eyes out while piss drunk?

Guess you're right, but that was the first time I had that happen :v:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Hydrolith posted:

I posted about it in the "drunk stories" thread (and maybe this thread long ago, I forget) but tl:dr a friend of mine got so drunk he ate his ipod headphones with ketchup.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Did he poop them back out?

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Fucknag posted:

I posted about it in the "drunk stories" thread (and maybe this thread long ago, I forget) but tl:dr a friend of mine got so drunk he ate his ipod headphones with ketchup.

You did in this thread. Hit the (?) button under your post to see all your posts in a thread.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

That totally reminded me of a similar story.

I was staying in my college town for the summer, so obviously there weren't a lot of other people around. One of my few friends who was still in town had a birthday. He was turning 22 and I was only 20, so I had to part ways with him when he went out to the bars. I went home to play some video games or whatever, thinking my participation in his birthday night is over.
Around 1:30 am I got a call from the guy. I answered, only to be greeted by the sounds of sobbing. My buddy was having a full-blown panic attack complete with wailing. I manage to drag some details out of him, and put together the situation. Apparantly his friends had ditched him really early in the night without telling him, leaving him drunk and alone in a bar. In this state, he started trying to find somebody new to hang out with. He ended up telling some random guy that it is his birthday. You know how when you are drunk you get random moments of clarity? His came when he was sitting on a dumpster in a dark alley with this stranger, smoking weed. My friend does not smoke weed, so he was unfamiliar with the taste and sensation. He quickly ran home. The reason he called me sobbing was that he was absolutely 100% convinced that there had been meth in the weed. I tried to reason with him, telling him that if he had just taken his first hit of meth, he wouldn't be sobbing in bed, he would be painting his house or running laps or something, but he didn't believe me. He begged me to come over so I could make sure he didn't die. I had nothing bettter to do and he lived only a block away so I agreed. I got there, and he was trying to go to sleep. He asked me to read something to him, which was weird but whatever, if it helps. The guy was a philosophy major, and all he had were philosophy texts.

That is how I ended up reading Nietzsche to a sobbing crossfaded 22-year-old as a bedtime story on his birthday.

Samfucius has a new favorite as of 17:20 on Mar 26, 2013

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error
I probably caused a WTC moment for people after doing acid. I should have stayed at my friend's home, but I had an overwhelming urge to DRIVE HOME IMMEDIATELY! While driving, I started hearing echoing noises from the radio, and that freaked me out. I got home and was convinced I would die. I started crying that my mom would come home and find me dead. It was the middle of the night.

My parents were divorced, so I called my father to come pick me up, because I couldn't trust myself to drive anymore. It was pouring rain and like 2 am. I said that I was panicking because I hydroplaned coming home and needed a pick up. He must have been like "???" It was the best excuse I could think of in my addled brain. I stood outside in the rain until my dad came to get me. I was so relieved.

I stuck to my excuse.

I never did acid again.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Leelee posted:

I probably caused a WTC moment for people after doing acid. I should have stayed at my friend's home, but I had an overwhelming urge to DRIVE HOME IMMEDIATELY! While driving, I started hearing echoing noises from the radio, and that freaked me out. I got home and was convinced I would die. I started crying that my mom would come home and find me dead. It was the middle of the night.

My parents were divorced, so I called my father to come pick me up, because I couldn't trust myself to drive anymore. It was pouring rain and like 2 am. I said that I was panicking because I hydroplaned coming home and needed a pick up. He must have been like "???" It was the best excuse I could think of in my addled brain. I stood outside in the rain until my dad came to get me. I was so relieved.

Something doesn't add up here.

Olive Bar
Mar 30, 2005

Take me to the moon
Maybe she called dad because she didn't want mom to come home and find her dead. Makes sense in a hosed up brain.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Lizard Wizard posted:

She lives with her mom and wanted to go to her dad's house.

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error

Lizard Wizard posted:

My parents are divorced. This was also like 10 years ago. I think my mom was away on a trip and that's why she wasn't home?

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

I loving love this thread. I am trying to read the entire thing but I just don't have time so I skipped ahead to post.

This is tame compared to some of these stories but I've always remembered it for some reason:

There used to be an old man that walked around the neighborhood near my house wearing a novelty, foam ten-gallon cowboy hat with the rim completely encircled by small stuffed animals. I always assumed he had a bit of dimentia or something, I know several of the local restaraunts would give him a cup of coffee and a table for a little while in the mornings if they had room. I think he was just one of those guys that seemed like a "fixture" of the community.

Anyway, I used to work the overnight shift and one comfortable summer night I decided to take a half-day of vacation so I got off at 3:30 am. At my wife's request I stopped at the local gas station on the way home to get a gallon of milk or something and when I came out this guy was sitting on the curb next to my truck in his signature cowboy hat. He struck up a conversation with me and seemed like a pretty nice guy, if a little strange.....pretty much what I'd always imagined him to be. After a few minutes I told him I had to be going and he points to the lighted sign at the bank across the street and asks me, "what time does that sign say?"

"It says 3:55", I replied.

At this point he opens up his jacket, flasher-style and says, "GOD DAMMIT, I got nineteen watches and every one of 'em says it's 3:52!" He's got rows of watches sewn (or something) into the inside of his jacket and he's wearing several on each wrist. What the hell?

ncumbered_by_idgits has a new favorite as of 18:56 on Apr 2, 2013

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Maybe he sells watches.

DorkusMalorkus
Aug 4, 2009

"That's not Latin!"
Maybe he sells watches but is not very assertive and has a hard time bringing it up in conversation.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Also not very good at marketing. "Want to buy one of these watches, they're all slow?"

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
Who doesn't love the small town signature crazy person?

Ours was a nice, but crazy middle-aged lady who would hold out her keys in front of her and jingle them as she walked up and down the main street, either humming or singing songs.

Anyhow, I briefly worked at the only grocery story in town (Pankeys... snicker) and she'd often come in with her singing and key-jingling. She was usually quickly in and out to get either booze or cigarettes, so nobody was too perturbed by the disturbance. "welp, here comes singin Judy!" they'd say.

The one day, out of the blue after years of this routine she decides to drop trow and take a poo poo in one of the isles. The manager threw her out. Years later I was back in town for my 10-year reunion and I zipped in to see some old familiar faces. I asked about that crazy lady and they said eventually they had to ban her because singing Judy became public-making GBS threads Judy.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

My Lovely Horse posted:

Also not very good at marketing. "Want to buy one of these watches, they're all slow?"

One imagines this is why he was upset to find out about his watches being slow.

SnakePlissken
Dec 31, 2009

by zen death robot

DorkusMalorkus posted:

Maybe he sells watches but is not very assertive and has a hard time bringing it up in conversation.

And you're the winner of the some people's posts look just like their AV's award for this week! MMwwwaaaah!

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Willfrey posted:

Who doesn't love the small town signature crazy person?

Ours was a nice, but crazy middle-aged lady who would hold out her keys in front of her and jingle them as she walked up and down the main street, either humming or singing songs.

Anyhow, I briefly worked at the only grocery story in town (Pankeys... snicker) and she'd often come in with her singing and key-jingling. She was usually quickly in and out to get either booze or cigarettes, so nobody was too perturbed by the disturbance. "welp, here comes singin Judy!" they'd say.

The one day, out of the blue after years of this routine she decides to drop trow and take a poo poo in one of the isles. The manager threw her out. Years later I was back in town for my 10-year reunion and I zipped in to see some old familiar faces. I asked about that crazy lady and they said eventually they had to ban her because singing Judy became public-making GBS threads Judy.

My town has an enormously fat man who rides around on by the side of the road on a riding lawnmower and waves at the cars going by. Some local businesses and politicians decided to use him for advertising by giving him their signs to put all over the mower. He used to ride a regular bicycle, but I guess he either got too fat for it, needed more ad space or both.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
If we're talking about small town crazy people, then my town has a guy who I always see standing on the roadside by an airport, listening to an MP3 player, and air guitarring. Maybe not the craziest, but he's always there. I saw him tonight when I was driving home at 7 PM, for instance.

He only started appearing a few months ago, so I'm really not sure where he came from.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
Had a pretty :wtc: moment today.

Watching the doctor remove a couple of cysts that I had. Pretty gross.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
So this just happened. I have three cats, one brown, one black, and one white. The white one's the oldest and the biggest of the three and always has to get his way. The black one is passive and kind of stupid.

Anyway, my black cat manages to snag a bird right off my porch, but my white one sees this and tries to pressure the into letting him take the bird. He does. So while he's got this bird in his mouth eating/playing with it or whatever, the brown one approaches to try and take it.

What happened next was so surreal I almost thought it to be some kind of auditory hallucination. My white cat loving barks at him to get him to gently caress off. It was a pretty intense bark, too. Like something you'd hear from a pissed off pitbull. I swear I heard it and it couldn't have been another dog because no one in my immediate neighborhood has a dog, and no one was walking their dog on the streets. And even if that was the case, it clearly sounded like it came from my cat.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.

AHungryRobot posted:

So this just happened. I have three cats, one brown, one black, and one white. The white one's the oldest and the biggest of the three and always has to get his way. The black one is passive and kind of stupid.

Anyway, my black cat manages to snag a bird right off my porch, but my white one sees this and tries to pressure the into letting him take the bird. He does. So while he's got this bird in his mouth eating/playing with it or whatever, the brown one approaches to try and take it.

What happened next was so surreal I almost thought it to be some kind of auditory hallucination. My white cat loving barks at him to get him to gently caress off. It was a pretty intense bark, too. Like something you'd hear from a pissed off pitbull. I swear I heard it and it couldn't have been another dog because no one in my immediate neighborhood has a dog, and no one was walking their dog on the streets. And even if that was the case, it clearly sounded like it came from my cat.
It's more common than you think.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aP3gzee1cps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

Huh. You learn something new every day I guess.

• Locked thread