Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

The fact that you've smoked weed isn't a very big deal for a TS/SCI, it's that you've smoked recently. I'd be honest on your SF86 or any other security questionnaire MEPS does and see what they say. Worst case you have to join in something requiring only a Secret or no clearance at all. Intel is almost always short in one MOS or another so reclassing probably won't be that big of a deal down the road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Sasgrillo posted:

Also just one other thing. I'm not as familiar with the officer side of things. If on some chance I was accepted into Air Force or Navy OCS how exactly does job selection work then?

For the Air Force, there are (basically) two separate boards that consider applicants, one for rated jobs (which are pilot, navigator, and air battle manager), and one for non-rated (everything else besides lawyers, doctors, and chaplains, they're totally separate). You can apply to both boards, and they're generally not at the same time.

For rated, you can put all three jobs down if you qualify, but you can just put one if you want. When you get selected for OTS, you get selected for one of those jobs specifically.

For the other board, iirc you get to pick five...there is NO guarantee that you'll get any of them. When you get selected for OTS, that's it. You go, and about 6-8 weeks in (I don't remember) you'll find out what your job will be.

ethanol posted:

I want intelligence. Because I'm so loving intelligent. Hey if they want to DQ me because I'm honest about it, then it isn't the outfit for me. But it seems like that isn't the way it works. But seriously, if somebody has done the drug waiver, what does it mean? How long does it take? I've already heard the risks of lying and not lying.

The situation is different now than when anyone here joined. For the past decade, the military would take almost anyone with a pulse. I know a guy who got picked up for an officer slot with a DUI on his record. That poo poo won't fly anymore...they don't need people that badly. In fact, they're trying to get rid of as many people as possible. It's competitive to do ANYTHING worthwhile now.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Apr 17, 2013

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

ethanol posted:

I have. Assuming 2 years back in college. Open ended.. more than 5 times? Only MJ. I just want to know what it actually entails.

Just to be clear there are two completely different things here, involving two completely different processes, and two completely different groups of people: the waiver to join due to admitting drug use in your past, and the security clearance process where they will ask on the SF-86 if you have used illicit narcotics.

If you lie on the first one, the chances of anyone finding out are slim to none as long as you don't pop hot and as long as there isn't anything in your record. If you are just going for a secret the chances of anyone finding out if you lie are also pretty slim (again, as long as there isn't anything in your record), but not quite as low as on the waiver. If you are going through a SSBI for a TS (which you will be for intel), the chances of them finding out if you lie aren't guaranteed, but they are pretty good. And one other thing...the processes are different and involve different groups of people, but they will more than likely look at your enlistment paperwork when going through your security clearance poo poo (I guess they probably won't for a secret since that investigation is a pretty big joke but I can guarantee they will if they're doing a SSBI on you). So if you are going for a job that requires a TS (or if you get investigated for a TS a few years down the road after joining, or whatever) and you lie on your enlistment stuff, you are basically locked into that lie.

As I said before, when they are investigating you for a clearance, the biggest thing they are concerned with is discrepancies and dishonesty. Getting caught being dishonest, even about a relatively trivial thing, is basically a guaranteed way to get denied a clearance. Here's a site that is probably worth your time to peruse if you are seriously considering pursuing a job that requires a TS. It's not a perfect one for one match since every situation is unique and those are industrial security adjudication decisions, not mil, but click on 2012 or 2013, do a ctrl+f for "drugs", and do some reading.

Nimmy
Feb 20, 2011

Soon young Melvin.
Your time will come.

DoktorLoken posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuaXx2E75v4

Nimmer, watch closely. This is your future.

Even I'm laughing at myself. Oh well, no big deal. I can do that for a year. Guess I'm hoping for lots and lots of Privates though.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

iyaayas01 posted:

Just to be clear there are two completely different things here, involving two completely different processes, and two completely different groups of people: the waiver to join due to admitting drug use in your past, and the security clearance process where they will ask on the SF-86 if you have used illicit narcotics.

If you lie on the first one, the chances of anyone finding out are slim to none as long as you don't pop hot and as long as there isn't anything in your record. If you are just going for a secret the chances of anyone finding out if you lie are also pretty slim (again, as long as there isn't anything in your record), but not quite as low as on the waiver. If you are going through a SSBI for a TS (which you will be for intel), the chances of them finding out if you lie aren't guaranteed, but they are pretty good. And one other thing...the processes are different and involve different groups of people, but they will more than likely look at your enlistment paperwork when going through your security clearance poo poo (I guess they probably won't for a secret since that investigation is a pretty big joke but I can guarantee they will if they're doing a SSBI on you). So if you are going for a job that requires a TS (or if you get investigated for a TS a few years down the road after joining, or whatever) and you lie on your enlistment stuff, you are basically locked into that lie.

As I said before, when they are investigating you for a clearance, the biggest thing they are concerned with is discrepancies and dishonesty. Getting caught being dishonest, even about a relatively trivial thing, is basically a guaranteed way to get denied a clearance. Here's a site that is probably worth your time to peruse if you are seriously considering pursuing a job that requires a TS. It's not a perfect one for one match since every situation is unique and those are industrial security adjudication decisions, not mil, but click on 2012 or 2013, do a ctrl+f for "drugs", and do some reading.

Wow, that is incredibly handy. Thank you. This is the closest person to me I've found yet.

Case Number: 12-03923.h1
Drugs
11/23/2012

Applicant used marijuana about 60 times between 2005 and August 2011. During that period, he was 19 to 25 years old and was attending undergraduate and graduate school. Since August 2011, he has not used marijuana and has obtained a job. He no longer associates with drug users and signed a statement indicating his intent to abstain from illegal drugs in the future. He has mitigated the drug involvement security concerns. Eligibility for access to classified information is granted. CASE NO: 12-03923.h

I definitely see what you guys are saying about recent usage being a trouble. But I started periodically smoking in November 2009 fully stopped smoking in may 2011 when I moved out of my college house to my grandfather's house as a caretaker for the summer (he died that summer) before my last semester at school.. I only recently shared a few joints with my sister in law, which I regret immensely at this point. But there is absolutely no evidence for that usage. I think I'd be fine, providing I am waivered through enlistment. The navy recruiter was ready to waiver providing I took his little drug test, which I declined to do, as I'm not ready to sign yet.

Another sore spot: In 2009, an officer conducted a search of my dorm room for LSD after two busted kids on the floor below us attempted to rat out the real LSD dealers (who were in the room next door). The officer incorrectly suspected us. His search proved fruitless, but he issued us a stern warning that 'if you're dealing LSD, I will be back, and you will go to jail". rear end in a top hat. I wonder if he had idea he was potentially loving up careers. Ratting out the kids next door would have done nothing, they heard the commotion and moved their drugs. I have no idea if that's in any records. I sure wish I never ended up on that dorm floor.

ethanol fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Apr 17, 2013

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Army recruiters are on campus today, and since I'm due to graduate at the end of the semester (with a BLS in history and a sterling 2.7 GPA :smith:), job prospects for someone in my position aren't high here in the great city of Detroit, and I do genuinely want to serve the country one way or the other (already submitted an FSOT application and am working on a Peace Corps application as well), I figured enlistment in the Army is a notion worth entertaining. Recruiter-in-charge said I'd likely get in as an E4, but seemed more preoccupied with the Xbox he had set up than with talking, and so I wasn't able to get more info out of him of what's what in the Army.

Beyond the bachelor's I'm soon to get, I've also taken 2.5 years of Russian language courses, have decent travel experience abroad already (18 countries, including a week or so in the Caucasus) and am a licensed amateur radio operator. Would I even be of use to the Army? What specializations would be best-suited to my skills and experiences?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
The next eighteen replies will be variations of JESUS CHRIST DON'T loving ENLIST WITH A DEGREE.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

Godholio posted:

The next eighteen replies will be variations of JESUS CHRIST DON'T loving ENLIST WITH A DEGREE.

One

NAPALM STICKS TO
Jun 22, 2005

you should definitely enlist as a 13B with a degree

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Godholio posted:

But no jobs! :qq:

What about OCS?

Beria
Nov 13, 2011
Not with that GPA

Ofaloaf posted:

Army recruiters are on campus today, and since I'm due to graduate at the end of the semester (with a BLS in history and a sterling 2.7 GPA :smith:), job prospects for someone in my position aren't high here in the great city of Detroit, and I do genuinely want to serve the country one way or the other (already submitted an FSOT application and am working on a Peace Corps application as well), I figured enlistment in the Army is a notion worth entertaining. Recruiter-in-charge said I'd likely get in as an E4, but seemed more preoccupied with the Xbox he had set up than with talking, and so I wasn't able to get more info out of him of what's what in the Army.

Beyond the bachelor's I'm soon to get, I've also taken 2.5 years of Russian language courses, have decent travel experience abroad already (18 countries, including a week or so in the Caucasus) and am a licensed amateur radio operator. Would I even be of use to the Army? What specializations would be best-suited to my skills and experiences?

Dude

Unless you're going to be broke rear end starving, join the Peace Corps

It sounds like a way better deal

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Beria posted:

Dude

Unless you're going to be broke rear end starving, join the Peace Corps

It sounds like a way better deal

I will be broke-rear end starving. I'm nearly there as it is.

Beria
Nov 13, 2011
See how the Peace Corps and the Foreign Service pan out first.

You've got decent extracurriculars, and a not bad "whole person" concept, you've just been a little lazy hitting the books.

Dont rush into something.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Ofaloaf posted:

But no jobs! :qq:

What about OCS?

Do you have a relatively clean background? If so, look into 35n/p/s.

Kanyeshna
Mar 14, 2006
Lurker Extraordinaire

Ofaloaf posted:

I will be broke-rear end starving. I'm nearly there as it is.

Depending on your time frame, peace Corps and foreign service might take too long. My time from application to entry for the peace Corps was a little over a year.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I think peace corps involvement disqualifies you from military service or something too, or certain jobs. Anyways might want to look into that. Peace corps also sucks from what I've heard.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Serving in the Peace Corps will disqualify you from PSYOP and Counterintel, from what I've read. There may be more.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Peace Corps disqualifies you from pretty much anything intelligence related and vice versa for the peace corps.

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

Beria posted:

See how the Peace Corps and the Foreign Service pan out first.

You've got decent extracurriculars, and a not bad "whole person" concept, you've just been a little lazy hitting the books.

Dont rush into something.

Maybe I was looking in the wrong places but Foreign Service jobs seemed pretty hard to come by. And the descriptions I was given of the Peace Corp a couple of years ago sounded nightmarish.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
What does the peace corps even really do?

Beria
Nov 13, 2011

HATE CURES TRANNYS posted:

Looks good on a resume

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Sasgrillo posted:

Maybe I was looking in the wrong places but Foreign Service jobs seemed pretty hard to come by. And the descriptions I was given of the Peace Corp a couple of years ago sounded nightmarish.
The Sequester bullshit hasn't helped a bit with Foreign Service employment chances, that's for sure.

Beria posted:

Looks good on a resume

Go into foreign lands, squat with the locals and try to teach the locals English, because you don't have the skills to teach improved irrigation techniques or finances. There's a thread in Ask/Tell about the Corps.

Ofaloaf fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Apr 17, 2013

Kanyeshna
Mar 14, 2006
Lurker Extraordinaire

Teaches you a language, the limits of your personal hygiene, and just how low your sexual standards are.

I had a pretty good experience but my best memories have more to do with the other volunteers than the nationals of the country.

Edit:and yes, it disqualifies you from intelligence work for varying amounts of time depending on the agency. Generally 4 years.

Kanyeshna fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Apr 17, 2013

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

Ofaloaf posted:

You sound like the perfect candidate for the Airborne Infantry!

You'll be up in the air in no time!

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

V Thanks, just being paranoid, like for example by editing it out just in case.

Xenoborg fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Apr 18, 2013

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
gently caress no.

zombieswithblenders
Nov 21, 2008
Guys I enlisted in the Air Force and choose Diagnostic imaging and Bioenvironmental engineering as my top 2 out of 5 and I have a few questions for those who can enlighten me.
What are the chances of getting those MOS's? I hear medical has a low need and i want to go to boot camp ASAP. Also if anyone knows anyone who has done either of those if they could give me some input on them that would be great.
Also is it practical to go in for 6 years vs 4? I didn't know about this option till after i had gone through MEPS so im just now weighing that option as a possibility.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

zombieswithblenders posted:

Guys I enlisted in the Air Force and choose Diagnostic imaging and Bioenvironmental engineering as my top 2 out of 5 and I have a few questions for those who can enlighten me.
What are the chances of getting those MOS's? I hear medical has a low need and i want to go to boot camp ASAP. Also if anyone knows anyone who has done either of those if they could give me some input on them that would be great.
Also is it practical to go in for 6 years vs 4? I didn't know about this option till after i had gone through MEPS so im just now weighing that option as a possibility.

What does 6 get you instead of four? I'm asking because I honestly don't know but I'm guessing it's an extra stripe (so you can be the king retard of junior enlisted retard mountain) and/or like a $10K signing bonus or something that you can blow on a down payment for the super sweet Camaro you're going to finance with the low low interest rate of 200%.

Anyway the point is that unless they give you a blowjob from Scarlett Johansson and half a million there's no way that signing an extra two years of your life away is worth it. If you get in and enjoy your job, congratulations, you can enlist for more. However, if you get in and you hate your job, congratulations, I hope that extra stripe and couple of grand was well worth the extra two years of your life that the government will literally own you, for every single agonizing minute.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

iyaayas01 posted:

What does 6 get you instead of four? I'm asking because I honestly don't know but I'm guessing it's an extra stripe (so you can be the king retard of junior enlisted retard mountain) and/or like a $10K signing bonus or something that you can blow on a down payment for the super sweet Camaro you're going to finance with the low low interest rate of 200%.

Anyway the point is that unless they give you a blowjob from Scarlett Johansson and half a million there's no way that signing an extra two years of your life away is worth it. If you get in and enjoy your job, congratulations, you can enlist for more. However, if you get in and you hate your job, congratulations, I hope that extra stripe and couple of grand was well worth the extra two years of your life that the government will literally own you, for every single agonizing minute.

This man speaks the truth. Not a day goes by that I look at the remaining 3 years on my contract and wish I hadn't told them to sod off and leave me with a cool 4 instead of 5 year enlistment. Then again, Navy is different from AF, so lol.

Axolotl
Jan 23, 2002
Whatever

Don't even think about enlisting for 6. Those extra two years are worth more than anything the Air Force will conceivably offer you. The new GI Bill alone almost makes it retarded to enlist for 6 years.

Axolotl fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Apr 18, 2013

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Yeah I don't get it, if you really want to stay in after four years, might as well sign back up at that point, right? No way in hell the bonus is worth it the risk.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
I enlisted for 6 like a big gay baby because I "knew" that I wanted to be a lifer.

Kinda screwed me over re-enlistment bonus wise, but yeah-- can't say I'd recommend it except after I enlisted apparently 6 year enlistees got E-3 automatically after tech school.. I had to do the whole E-1, E-2, E-3 thing, which is slower in the USAF than say Army or Navy. That would be the only advantage, and I don't even know if they do that anymore.. But it's a pretty easy way to make rank fast if you think you're gonna be doing this for a while.. E-3 outta tech school, make E-4 BTZ and get to test for E-5 almost immediately.. You can be an NCO in like 3.25 years instead of the average like 5-6 years it takes some (dumb) motherfuckers.

Doughy Fresh
Jun 15, 2007

Isn't that dangerous?
I know at least in the Navy, 6 year enlistments are required for anything with an A-School that lasts longer than some length of time (I think it's 8-9 months, but I'm not sure); which includes anything specwar or electronics/computers/fire control systems or intel or basically anything worth doing as far as I can tell.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Doughy Fresh posted:

I know at least in the Navy, 6 year enlistments are required for anything with an A-School that lasts longer than some length of time (I think it's 8-9 months, but I'm not sure); which includes anything specwar or electronics/computers/fire control systems or intel or basically anything worth doing as far as I can tell.

Same goes for some of the HM C-schools, which you can get right after A-school.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch

Do you have any college credits or other qualifiers to get you E-3? Having a certain amount of college credits will get you in with an extra stripe or two, as well as things like being an eagle scout or JROTC or poo poo.

Because if you do, stay the hell away from a 6 year contract.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Insight: I have a 6 year contract and a college degree. This means the auto E3 you get with a degree went to waste because it was part of my contract. Kids that graduated bootcamp with me as E1s in the same program are now E4s like me. I also have 4 years left. I mean really, that's a long rear end time. It doesn't feel like I've made any progress; while anyone with a 4 year contract would be half way done, it feels like I haven't even started yet.

The plus side: I went to an excellent tech school. I got one of the best ratings in the Navy (CTN). I'm on track to earn my masters degree by next year (in a non poo poo program of study this time!). I might pick up E-5 this cycle, which is pretty good for less than 3 years in.

I guess the way I saw it was I wanted to get something from my time in. What is 4 years as a cook going to get me? I'd rather just put in the 2 extra years and do something technical. But that's just me. If what you want is just a free college education then 4 years makes way more sense. In either case it's not a black and white issue, you really need to consider what you ultimately want to get out of the service.

Axolotl
Jan 23, 2002
Whatever

GAS CURES KIKES posted:

I enlisted for 6 like a big gay baby because I "knew" that I wanted to be a lifer.

Kinda screwed me over re-enlistment bonus wise, but yeah-- can't say I'd recommend it except after I enlisted apparently 6 year enlistees got E-3 automatically after tech school.. I had to do the whole E-1, E-2, E-3 thing, which is slower in the USAF than say Army or Navy. That would be the only advantage, and I don't even know if they do that anymore.. But it's a pretty easy way to make rank fast if you think you're gonna be doing this for a while.. E-3 outta tech school, make E-4 BTZ and get to test for E-5 almost immediately.. You can be an NCO in like 3.25 years instead of the average like 5-6 years it takes some (dumb) motherfuckers.
This information is Air Force specific. I can't speak for the other services at all.

My experience is a little out of date, but that kind of quick advancement to E-5 is highly dependent on a number of factors that are somewhat out of your control. First, you'd have to enlist in a timeframe where your promotion to SrA occurs as close to, but not after, Feb 1 of that year's testing cycle for Staff as possible. Second, it also depends on getting a below-the-zone promotion to E-4 at 22 months time-in-grade, which is by no means guaranteed. Of course, that also depends on your supervisors/leadership not being incompetent fuckheads as well.

Too much is beyond a potential recruit's control to ever recommend enlisting for 6 years over 4 in the Air Force.

Axolotl fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Apr 18, 2013

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Sir Lucius posted:

Insight: I have a 6 year contract and a college degree. This means the auto E3 you get with a degree went to waste because it was part of my contract. Kids that graduated bootcamp with me as E1s in the same program are now E4s like me. I also have 4 years left. I mean really, that's a long rear end time. It doesn't feel like I've made any progress; while anyone with a 4 year contract would be half way done, it feels like I haven't even started yet.

The plus side: I went to an excellent tech school. I got one of the best ratings in the Navy (CTN). I'm on track to earn my masters degree by next year (in a non poo poo program of study this time!). I might pick up E-5 this cycle, which is pretty good for less than 3 years in.

I guess the way I saw it was I wanted to get something from my time in. What is 4 years as a cook going to get me? I'd rather just put in the 2 extra years and do something technical. But that's just me. If what you want is just a free college education then 4 years makes way more sense. In either case it's not a black and white issue, you really need to consider what you ultimately want to get out of the service.

Sir Lucius - GiP Success Story.

I've met so many people going through Mental Health because they're miserable in the rate they picked, all because they didn't think before they joined. At first they think "HELL YEAH, GET IN AND GRAB A PAYCHECK!" without thinking of the watches, missed family time, missed time studying for college, and they look at the dudes that joined up like them ages ago.

Few people walk into the recruiters and think about what happens within their job or what they can do with it afterward. It's quite sad.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
What's the general consensus for a guy that wants to join the army/national guard for the explicit reason that it's been a long standing dream to blow poo poo up and get shot at? He actively wants to be in combat arms, doesn't give a gently caress about benefits, is completely aware that the job is completely miserable poo poo 95% of the time, but just has the lust for blowing poo poo up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axolotl
Jan 23, 2002
Whatever

Mr. Nice! posted:

What's the general consensus for a guy that wants to join the army/national guard for the explicit reason that it's been a long standing dream to blow poo poo up and get shot at? He actively wants to be in combat arms, doesn't give a gently caress about benefits, is completely aware that the job is completely miserable poo poo 95% of the time, but just has the lust for blowing poo poo up.
Seek professional help.

• Locked thread