Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CHOICE COD
Mar 11, 2007
Sometimes I'll eat money. Just to do it. Just to see how it feels. It feels good, it feels powerful.

Herr Tog posted:

tl:dr List of great cinema please? I'm dumb.

Take a look at the IMDB Top 250 and the AFI 100 Years 100 Movies lists. The IMDB list is generated by user votes so—while it doesn't mirror critical reception in a lot of instances—it covers a lot of pop culture. The AFI list has a lot of overlap but it's more critically and historically minded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Herr Tog posted:

I am terrible at movies and don't get many references my friends and colleges make. For instance I didn't know the "Sharks Vs. The Jets" thing was movie based I thought it was in regard to people who don't care about sports and don't know that those two teams on a national level are in two different sports and not a movie. I still haven't seen that movie. I'm a 20 something and didn't go to the movies much growing up. So anything around the 70's-90's is lost on me. For example I am going to see Jurassic park 3d, not because I love the movie but because I have never seen it in theaters and I haven't been to see a movie in a long time and this seems like a safe loving bet. So if someone has time and wishes to help some better appreciate the art of film making please make a list or point me to one so I may start down this journey.

CHOICE COD posted:

Take a look at the IMDB Top 250 and the AFI 100 Years 100 Movies lists. The IMDB list is generated by user votes so—while it doesn't mirror critical reception in a lot of instances—it covers a lot of pop culture. The AFI list has a lot of overlap but it's more critically and historically minded.

That's a decent suggestion, but the main thing is just to watch a lot of movies. One thing I've noticed about friends who don't know a lot about movies is that they just re-watch the same movies over and over again. Find a director or a writer or a cinematographer that you like and explore them.

Hell, you have favorite movies don't you? Unless your favorite films were made in the 1910s they were inspired by other films, and that's always the best place to start with expanding your horizons. Go to the Recommend me thread and throw out some favorites, I bet we can point you in an engaging direction. Or look through the various "beast films" lists and pick ten that sound intriguing and post them in the Shameful thread.

Or just watch poo poo at random from the stickyed Ultimate recommendation thread, all the posts have screenshots and descriptions of why someone thought ti was great to begin with.

Basically, just watch a lot of different poo poo, and accept that you won't like everything.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I'm going to second the Shame thread, it's a great way to work through the classics and generally broaden your horizons (apparently starting with West Side Story).

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?

Herr Tog posted:

I am terrible at movies and don't get many references my friends and colleges make. For instance I didn't know the "Sharks Vs. The Jets" thing was movie based I thought it was in regard to people who don't care about sports and don't know that those two teams on a national level are in two different sports and not a movie. I still haven't seen that movie. I'm a 20 something and didn't go to the movies much growing up. So anything around the 70's-90's is lost on me. For example I am going to see Jurassic park 3d, not because I love the movie but because I have never seen it in theaters and I haven't been to see a movie in a long time and this seems like a safe loving bet. So if someone has time and wishes to help some better appreciate the art of film making please make a list or point me to one so I may start down this journey.

I mean that's such a broad question, there are lots of amazing movies out there and while there may be a "canon" everything's subjective really. The imdb top 250 is a solid list if you're looking for movies that are popularly considered great. I'd recommend making a profile at Criticker and ranking movies that you've seen and liked/disliked if you want recommendations tailor made for you. I personally get a lot out of the charts at Flickchart as well (you can set it to show "Greatest Movies of the 70s" or 80s/90s since you said you missed a lot of movies from that time period) though I don't think many other goons use it seriously.

As for the "craft" or film-making I'd recommend listening to more director/crew commentaries, just find the DVD for some movies you know you like and listen to them. There are also lots of introductory books about the art of the film Film Art by David Bordwell is an accessible and solid one, if a little dry - it's the standard introductory textbook in a lot of film courses.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Herr Tog posted:

http://theyshootpictures.com/gf1000.htm

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Unmature posted:

Why do I love how movies in the mid-late 90s looked so much? Something about the colors and the overall visual texture of movies has never been as pleasing to me as it was then. I'm watching Scream right now and it's gorgeous. A friend of mine who's a professional editor said filmstock was in a renaissance then, but could someone go more in-depth about what's changed since then?

Another good example of a really cool looking movie is Kids in the Hall: Brain Candy. So unmistakably 90s, but not because of the fashions or timely references. It just feels like a certain time.

It could be because the whites were more white then instead of everything being tinted one color or another. The Matrix might have started a trend with that. And 2000 is around when they started doing that digitally.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

CHOICE COD posted:

Thanks! I'll refer to this afi list when making trips to the video rental store.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I'm going to second the Shame thread, it's a great way to work through the classics and generally broaden your horizons (apparently starting with West Side Story).

The shame thread seems a good place to start, West Side Story sounds even better.

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

I mean that's such a broad question, there are lots of amazing movies out there and while there may be a "canon" everything's subjective really. The imdb top 250 is a solid list if you're looking for movies that are popularly considered great. I'd recommend making a profile at Criticker and ranking movies that you've seen and liked/disliked if you want recommendations tailor made for you. I personally get a lot out of the charts at Flickchart as well (you can set it to show "Greatest Movies of the 70s" or 80s/90s since you said you missed a lot of movies from that time period) though I don't think many other goons use it seriously.

As for the "craft" or film-making I'd recommend listening to more director/crew commentaries, just find the DVD for some movies you know you like and listen to them. There are also lots of introductory books about the art of the film Film Art by David Bordwell is an accessible and solid one, if a little dry - it's the standard introductory textbook in a lot of film courses.

I...I actually do like really old movies. Kurosawa, especially based on Shakespeare, and 1986 Transformers for nostalgia and the very thing that got me into animation. I think this video commentary idea is a great one. Thank you.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

Schweinhund posted:

It could be because the whites were more white then instead of everything being tinted one color or another. The Matrix might have started a trend with that. And 2000 is around when they started doing that digitally.

I don't think of the late 90s as being gorgeous movie central, but I do miss when white things could just be white (not in a racist way ok). I think you're right in singling out The Matrix; I think that movie along with Mann's The Insider and Soderbergh's Out Of Sight were ground zero for the trend.

Atom Egoyan's The Sweet Hereafter was released on Blu-Ray a last year, and the color grade was changed so that the whites in the movie were all blue. The snow is blue! Here's a comparison of the DVD and BD versions:

It's not a Do The Right Thing level fuckup, but I think it's still an uncool thing to do to an older movie in my opinion.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Lists like this one always make me wonder when movie critics and historians are going to start looking at film from South America and Africa.

There are 8 selections on this list from South America and six of them are from Brazil. Which suggests that no film from Chile or Peru or Colombia has been as good as Donnie Darko.

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

Merry Christmas Scary Wormhole!

live with fruit posted:

Lists like this one always make me wonder when movie critics and historians are going to start looking at film from South America and Africa.

There are 8 selections on this list from South America and six of them are from Brazil. Which suggests that no film from Chile or Peru or Colombia has been as good as Donnie Darko.

Mark Cousins' The Story of Film: An Odyssey does a really great job of covering the whole world of film. I learned a lot of fascinating things about African and South American cinema I hadn't seen covered anywhere else.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
On their list of the top 250 movies from the 21st century, they have Nostalgia for the Light, which was directed by a Chilean and is about the Chilean Atacama Desert, listed as a French film.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

live with fruit posted:

South America at least kind of takes care of itself in that regard, there's a critical community and film institutions and a reasonable, if underfunded, amount of preservation going on. You can find lists of great South American films both in general and specific to the various countries.

By contrast Africa really gets the shaft. It's incredibly hard to get ahold of African cinema, there's very little promotion of it even within Africa from what I can tell and if you asked most people what they know about African film you'll either get a blank stare or some comment about those terrible Nigerian Video films shot in a day. It's really sad because there are some really wonderful films from the continent, and very diverse ones.

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

ASK ME HOW TO GET FREE BEER!
(THE ANSWER IS "CHEATING GOONS OUT OF IT")

DNS posted:

It's not a Do The Right Thing level fuckup, but I think it's still an uncool thing to do to an older movie in my opinion.

Can you elaborate on this, please?

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE posted:

Can you elaborate on this, please?

They removed the orange hue that's over everything - now it has that natural look, but of course the orange hue's supposed to be there, because otherwise the "hottest day in Bed-Stuy" feeling just disappears and a whole lot of people seem to be complaining about what looks like a 74 degree day.

And they don't seem interested in fixing it.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

The Cameo posted:

They removed the orange hue that's over everything - now it has that natural look, but of course the orange hue's supposed to be there, because otherwise the "hottest day in Bed-Stuy" feeling just disappears and a whole lot of people seem to be complaining about what looks like a 74 degree day.

Does this apply to the Criterion version?

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

The Cameo posted:

Son of a bitch are you serious? That is dumb

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Parachute posted:

Nope! Criterion DVD is still the best version available.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Parachute posted:

Criterion's not put out a Blu for it yet.

This is only on the Blu-ray, I should have mentioned that. I want to say even the original Universal DVD still has the orange hue.

But, yeah, it's pretty hosed.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
In this same vein, my roommate purchased Django Unchained on bluray at midnight last night and we started watching it. Everything is blue, and it's really noticeable in some scenes. I am really disappointed in Blueray as a format that is supposed to be higher quality, but seems like it's trading color correction for resolution.

edit: for added clarification: I saw Django twice in theaters and did not notice the blue tint. It is especially noticeable in the canyon camping scenes. If anyone else has watched the bluray of Django Unchained, please tell me I'm not crazy...

Snak fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Apr 16, 2013

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

The Cameo posted:

This is only on the Blu-ray, I should have mentioned that. I want to say even the original Universal DVD still has the orange hue.

:psypop: What is even the thought process behind doing this? Did they think the orange hue had been put in by accident?

Are they going to re-release The Matrix with the green/blue tints corrected out?

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

penismightier posted:

Nope! Criterion DVD is still the best version available.

Thank god, I was just looking at those screen captures and the orange does so much for that movie.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

:psypop: What is even the thought process behind doing this? Did they think the orange hue had been put in by accident?

Are they going to re-release The Matrix with the green/blue tints corrected out?

O Brother Where Art Thou? is now going to be full of bright vibrant greens.

This whole thing kind of reeks of executives getting the right to release movies on Blu-ray and telling some intern to "clean it up"/fix the color balance, without having watched the movies.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Lets not forget that the Blu of Do The Right Thing is fully approved by Lee and his DP so I doubt it'll ever get fixed.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Snak posted:

I am really disappointed in Blueray as a format that is supposed to be higher quality, but seems like it's trading color correction for resolution.

What? It has nothing to do with format, and everything to do with some overzealous mastering dickwad who thinks they know better than the director how a film "should" look.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Actually... Those were added for the DVD

http://www.dvdactive.com/editorial/articles/the-matrix-visual-comparison.html

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Snak posted:

In this same vein, my roommate purchased Django Unchained on bluray at midnight last night and we started watching it. Everything is blue, and it's really noticeable in some scenes. I am really disappointed in Blueray as a format that is supposed to be higher quality, but seems like it's trading color correction for resolution.

edit: for added clarification: I saw Django twice in theaters and did not notice the blue tint. It is especially noticeable in the canyon camping scenes. If anyone else has watched the bluray of Django Unchained, please tell me I'm not crazy...
Sure it's not the TV set to "Cool" hue?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

What? It has nothing to do with format, and everything to do with some overzealous mastering dickwad who thinks they know better than the director how a film "should" look.

Sorry, I should have been more clear. It's obviously not the format itself, but the products available in the format.

fenix down posted:

Sure it's not the TV set to "Cool" hue?

TV was set to "standard" which has a tint level of 0. It still could be the tv, which is why I asked if anyone else had the bluray and could confirm it.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

CzarChasm posted:

O Brother Where Art Thou? is now going to be full of bright vibrant greens.

Interesting for you to bring that up...

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDCompare10/o_brother_where_art_thou_.htm

:psyduck:

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

Awful is only a word. The reality is much, much worse.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I'd actually like to see that, heh. The green filter kind of annoyed me.

Now I'm trying to envision the blu-ray of Domino where they remove all that crazy post coloring and grain they added to distract you from what a train wreck that movie was.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Oh my god, do people doing this not have eyes?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
So I've been hearing about Alfonso Cuaron's "Gravity"...

It sounds cool and I definitely want to see it, but is this an adaptation of Ray Bradbury's "Kaleidoscope"? I figured people would be clamoring to adapt his stories after his death, but if it's not an actual adaptation it seems like the Bradbury estate would have a major case for them ripping off the idea.

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

sticklefifer posted:

So I've been hearing about Alfonso Cuaron's "Gravity"...

It sounds cool and I definitely want to see it, but is this an adaptation of Ray Bradbury's "Kaleidoscope"? I figured people would be clamoring to adapt his stories after his death, but if it's not an actual adaptation it seems like the Bradbury estate would have a major case for them ripping off the idea.

I don't know if it is an adaptation, but I'm pretty sure it's been in production since a fairly long time before Bradbury's passing.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Any good movies about or set during the Korean War that treat it seriously?

Other than MASH.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

cheerfullydrab posted:

Any good movies about or set during the Korean War that treat it seriously?

Other than MASH.
You mean `seriously' like Fuller's war-is-hell The Steel Helmet (1951), serious like war adventure films like The Bridges at Toko-Ri (1954) or Men in War (1957), or serious as in war melodrama like Battle Hymn (1957) and Tae Guk Gi (2004)?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I was using the word "seriously" as a totemic caution against such films as the classic/cliche Vietnam movie "The Green Berets". I wasn't sure if there were any of that sort about Korea, but it didn't hurt to be careful.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
edit: Damnit, I did it again.

Danger fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Apr 17, 2013

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

The Cameo posted:

Is the Amazon instant version of Do The Right Thing messed up too? I've been meaning to watch it for a while and that seems like the easiest way to watch it.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

cheerfullydrab posted:

I was using the word "seriously" as a totemic caution against such films as the classic/cliche Vietnam movie "The Green Berets". I wasn't sure if there were any of that sort about Korea, but it didn't hurt to be careful.

War Hunt, Time Limit, Men in War, The Steel Helmet, Fixed Bayonets!, and The Manchurian Candidate are all exceptional. The Hunters is okay, the flying sequences in it are amazing.

SubG posted:

You mean `seriously' like Fuller's war-is-hell The Steel Helmet (1951), serious like war adventure films like The Bridges at Toko-Ri (1954) or Men in War (1957), or serious as in war melodrama like Battle Hymn (1957) and Tae Guk Gi (2004)?

Oh god Battle Hymn is so bad.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

hope and vaseline posted:

Oh my god, do people doing this not have eyes?

Roger Deakins supervised the HD remaster. I sort of recall the 35mm prints in 2000 being a bit more saturated than the DVD, but that's 13 years ago. My guess is that variations are inevitable since the original 2K master is ancient by now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

South America at least kind of takes care of itself in that regard, there's a critical community and film institutions and a reasonable, if underfunded, amount of preservation going on. You can find lists of great South American films both in general and specific to the various countries.

Do you have a link for any of these?