Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aureon
Jul 11, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Fine-able Offense posted:

I linked the citation in my post. :allears:
A source, not a bloomberg scare article. Tohoku, over the whole coast, managed to do barely three times the damage in the 2km area near Fukushima? Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.
And even your big, scary 11.5T Yen does not approximate to infinity.

quote:

Biomass is not biofuels. :allears:
Fuels are a type of mass.
If you're talking only about recycled biomass, not one produced ad-hoc, then we're talking peanuts and not baseload generation at all.
And we still haven't cleared if that plant you visited is 6MWh/year or 6MW.

quote:

Given the above two notes, I am hardly surprised that you don't understand the distinction between an attack on you for supporting nuclear power vs. a critique of the apparently ideological means with which you do so, especially considering the discussion was related to something as mild as "Hey, you can't treat all power systems equally when it comes to the risk-cost of critical failure, especially from an actuarial standpoint."
Considering the two pages of people trying to understand what you meant, it isn't surprising, is it?
You may also re-read your post and note that it was
No, actuarial tables cannot be applied in all cases.
And no, Fukushima-style events aren't severe enough to impede application of actuarial tables. If you didn't think so because you were off an order of magnitude with the events, it's not really my fault.
I don't see why a local spike should be relevant enough to make the average invalid, and you still have to explain to us why that would be.

Also, refusing to subscribe to widespread ideological unguided hate on nuclear power is hardly "Defending it from an ideological standpoint".
We're in an age where lacking a bias that's widely subscribed means being biased, it seems.
I've been born in the Chernobyl scare, my own parents blame my heart birth defect on Chernobyl, i live in a country which has banned (twice) nuclear power by referendum, and i assure you, i'm not in the condition to have any pro-nuclear ideological bias. If anything, the contrary. You may notice i always over-estimate damage from nuclear-related incidents.
I may also inform you that your "Political wonder" biomass generators are so harshly opposed in Italy that the major of Bologna won a bid for major on the main point "We won't build anything that remotely looks like an incenerator (Because you morons can't understand what's one and what's not one)". If i may note, the difference between a "Biomass plant" and a "Incinerator" is pretty thin.

Goons (And really, not even most of them) whiteknight nuclear after a happy thread of 100+ pages full of numbers and other jingle, if you want to look it up. It's not like anyone has gotten up this morning and said "Hey, i think ATOMZ are really a good idea!"

"If Ideological defense is a conversation that goes as such:"
>>> Hey, we can't apply normal statistics to power generation!
>> Yes, we can since the worst-case isn't so severe to be avoided at all costs
And then you jumped on me, when i wasn't even responding to your post. And posted big scary numbers (Which may be inaccurate), accused the room of defending a cause for ideological reasons, complained about lack of attention to your visit to a biomass plant, when my point was a polite observation that "No, the worst-case isn't severe enough to warrant all this", which was a milder form of other posters complaining that it's normal to do that even for extremely severe cases.
Since we're talking not of a company, but of the energy policy of entire nations, and more accurately, of the whole world, and turning nuclear off means eating up all those "Externalities" from coal, perhaps i had a point. Or perhaps my point wasn't right, but i don't think it warranted a bile-spouting attack (Gooniest, Spergiest poo poo) on my views and good faith.

You're the only one trying to apply special rules to Nuclear, here. Perhaps since you're used to it, being part of the US energy regulation system without a background in Engineering or Physics.

To reprise, if you think any viewpoint illustrated in the thread isn't substantiated by facts, but rather by an ideology, i would appreciate you explaining what and why that is, as i do not appreciate views based on ideology, especially when they are my own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
The people in this thread defending nuclear power do so because they know what they're talking about, and typically, opponents of nuclear power (including the rare few posting in this thread) do not.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

Aureon posted:

Goons (And really, not even most of them) whiteknight nuclear after a happy thread of 100+ pages full of numbers and other jingle, if you want to look it up. It's not like anyone has gotten up this morning and said "Hey, i think ATOMZ are really a good idea!"

Goons whiteknight nuclear because everyone who opposes it "eventually" learns better in these threads or go the way of Cartoon and kindly fuckoff.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

Aureon posted:

A source, not a bloomberg scare article. Tohoku, over the whole coast, managed to do barely three times the damage in the 2km area near Fukushima? Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

This is actually legitimately pathetic.

First of all, you said I didn't cite anything, and I did. I've got to laugh at the notion that a source you don't like (or didn't read and are now embarrassed to be called out on) is a "scare article".

That figure of ~$125 billion isn't something that Bloomberg (those notorious liars!) and every other media source just made up, it's based on the amount that TEPCO told Japanese regulators it would likely require. Even if we accept the notion that TEPCO is lying about that amount for some nefarious purpose, Japanese regulators themselves had already pegged the cost at 5 trillion yen themselves, and updating that upwards is hardly surprising or somehow suspicious. Last I heard, the revised amount was being taken at face value by the government and regulatory agencies.

But please go ahead and cite some evidence that this is an elaborate, moon-landing-sized conspiracy being perpetrated by TEPCO, the Japanese government, local experts, and the international media, because I'm all ears.

Aureon posted:

And even your big, scary 11.5T Yen does not approximate to infinity.

...do you still not understand the difference between actual infinity and effectively infinite for the purposes of risk assessment? Someone even took the time to write an entire post explaining just that concept to you, god drat dude.

Aureon posted:

Fuels are a type of mass.

Again, I have to laugh at this. You said "biofuels" and then started talking about foodstock depletion, so you were clearly talking about bio-diesel production, and like with the above stuff now you're backtracking in the lamest way.

Biomass is using non-food plant material and animal waste. It's almost always done with an eye towards sustainable sources.

Aureon posted:

If you're talking only about recycled biomass, not one produced ad-hoc, then we're talking peanuts and not baseload generation at all.

[Citation needed]

For the record, I've seen reports saying that if you went at biomass in a systematic way, you could get an enormous percentage of baseload generation in a sustainable way. Is that the case? Maybe... I'd like to see more research done on that, but it's certainly an interesting line of inquiry, and there's lots of good research out there that you couldn't be arsed to look up.

Also: I merely threw this particular powerplant out there as another interesting project I'd just seen, not some kind of catch-all solution. I even specifically said I recognize the necessity of some nuclear as part of a viable energy mix. Why, it's almost like you're arguing in bad faith to backtrack from a lovely post!

But even then, you're still wrong, because there's solid evidence it could be part of an effective baseload.

Aureon posted:

And no, Fukushima-style events aren't severe enough to impede application of actuarial tables.

Come on, dude, just give that up already:

shrike82 posted:

Whoops...

http://www.modelisation-prospective...ents_entail.pdf

CDF: Observed frequency is 7.6E-04/r.y versus the estimated 1.0E-04/r.y
LERF: Observed frequency is 2.8E-04/r.y versus the estimated 1.0E-06/r.y

The rest of what you wrote is a barely-coherent rant, including some personal anecdotes, irrelevant stories about Italian NIMBYism, and mistaken assumptions (I am Canadian, not American). I even admitted I was wrong and unclear and contributed to the stupid derail we had, so I'm not sure what you could possibly "nail" me on from that perspective. Also, we already established it was MW and not MWh?

Congratulations, you have converted me to your line of thinking with this well-sourced, well-reasoned rebuttal.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

Schizotek posted:

Goons whiteknight nuclear because everyone who opposes it "eventually" learns better in these threads or go the way of Cartoon and kindly fuckoff.

When I used the term 'white knighting" I was specifically referring to defending it even in the face of well-reasoned, legitimate problems or issues that need to be addressed if nuclear is going to be viable. Exactly the kind of hysterical knee-jerk reactions you guys all claim to hate, for what it's worth.

If you can't admit that nuclear has serious problems that need to be ironed out or worked around before its (very real) potential can be properly harnessed, then I just don't know, man. Have fun with the circle jerk I guess?

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot

When I used the term 'white knighting" I was specifically referring to defending it even in the face of well-reasoned, legitimate problems or issues that need to be addressed if nuclear is going to be viable. Exactly the kind of hysterical knee-jerk reactions you guys all claim to hate, for what it's worth.

If you can't admit that nuclear has serious problems that need to be ironed out or worked around before its (very real) potential can be properly harnessed, then I just don't know, man. Have fun with the circle jerk I guess?

What issues would those be, that say, the French, haven't already worked out in their implementation, let alone couldn't be feasibly/practically improved upon in the US?

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

Berk Berkly posted:

What issues would those be, that say, the French, haven't already done?

If the French model is so great and I think it is, why hasn't the rest of the world adopted it? For a lot of reasons: upfront infrastructure costs, public opinion (which, no, you don't get to just hand-wave away), spent fuel storage, etc. Hollande is likely going to cut back on nuclear power as a total share of production, so it's not like they don't contend with these issues even in what is basically the most pro-nuclear country in the world.

China, which is hardly concerned with public opinion on health matters, still only has a tiny fraction of it's power coming from nuclear, for reasons that have exactly zero to do with the stuff you guys are railing against here.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
TEPCO and an article that says "TEPCO says..." don't actually count as different sources.

Adenoid Dan posted:

And yes, of course psychological damage is part of the damage caused by nuclear accidents, one of the biggest, in fact.

I wonder how the psychological damage is related to the part where people think atoms are scarier than cars.

Quick name one. The fact that people don't understand science is a problem with PEOPLE not a problem with science.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Apr 16, 2013

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

Nevvy Z posted:

TEPCO and an article that says "TEPCO says..." don't actually count as different sources.

That figure of ~$125 billion isn't something that Bloomberg (those notorious liars!) and every other media source just made up, it's based on the amount that TEPCO told Japanese regulators it would likely require.

Thank you for pointing out something that I put in plain language English in the very sentence you are referring to. :tipshat:

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Nothing you've cited provides any evidence that the source isn't milking the Japanese government for money.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

Nevvy Z posted:

Nothing you've cited provides any evidence that the source isn't milking the Japanese government for money.

If you are going to allege that the government of Japan and TEPCO are involved in a massive conspiracy wherein the Japanese government buys out TEPCO and then lies about the costs of the cleanup for ~reasons~, I'm not the one who needs to cite something to disprove it, holy poo poo.

Hey, prove that 9/11 wasn't an inside job. :smug:

This is becoming the textbook definition of epistemic closure.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
People have provided arguments and other estimates that indicate that your source may be overblown. You respond by relinking the same source and accusing people of kneejerking.'

This is a stupid derail anyway. The upshot is that as bad as the number may be it's arguably not effectively infinite for risk analysis.

Amoretize the cleanup costs over the power Fukishima generated in it's lifetime. How much does that come out to?

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Apr 16, 2013

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

Nevvy Z posted:

People have provided arguments and other estimates that indicate that your source may be overblown.

No, one person linked to one article that was a) several months old by the time TEPCO updated their cost estimates, and b) only dealt with the decommissioning costs, which again were outdated. That's not a refutation, that's lazy linking.

Nevvy Z posted:

The upshot is that as bad as the number may be it's arguably not effectively infinite for risk analysis.

If you can find me an insurance company willing to issue a $150 billion dollar policy, I'll retract that statement.

Gimby
Sep 6, 2011

I guess the point is that in general the serious problems that nuclear presents (and I agree, there are some, same as any large scale industrial enterprise) are generally a mix of overstated in public perception, solved on an engineering level or less severe than existing power generation methods. Its not perfect, no - it is however better than most of the alternatives of a similar level of technological maturity.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

Gimby posted:

I guess the point is that in general the serious problems that nuclear presents (and I agree, there are some, same as any large scale industrial enterprise) are generally a mix of overstated in public perception, solved on an engineering level or less severe than existing power generation methods. Its not perfect, no - it is however better than most of the alternatives of a similar level of technological maturity.

I 100% agree with this post, and I'll leave it at that. I don't think this thread is doing that sentiment justice, though.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

several months old by the time TEPCO updated their cost estimates

That's all I wanted. You've been so busy calling people stupid and accusing them of whiteknighting this is the first time you've posted an argument against relying on the other estimate.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

No, one person linked to one article that was a) several months old by the time TEPCO updated their cost estimates, and b) only dealt with the decommissioning costs, which again were outdated. That's not a refutation, that's lazy linking.

Fortunately your number broke down its costs so we can see where they are inflating the number. They are inflating it in the decommissioning cost, which is what I gave. The number ANS are citing is actually within the range your source gave (actually significantly greater than your source's minimum estimate) but your source includes an upper bound that is an order of magnitude greater than everyone else's.

Like I said, they're probably including some long-shot horror scenario where all four reactors suddenly start back up or all the fuel ponds catch fire at once and we have to do a Chernobyl-style containment. That makes it an upper bound, not the expected cost.

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

If you can find me an insurance company willing to issue a $150 billion dollar policy, I'll retract that statement.

Government-run ones? The FDIC insures trillions of dollars.

Aureon
Jul 11, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
So, you walk in the room, make claims no one in the room can understand because they're explained poorly, make personal attacks all around, and then call me out for actually explaining why these personal attacks were inaccurate.

All while acting condescending and actually having to be explained what's a MW·h and why it's not a MW/h (And no, i'm not trying to "Nail" you or something equally retarded, i'm trying to explain that whatever you are saying isn't being well understood, however right it may be. There's a failure of communication and nothing else here, but if you want to go forward and hate everyone all the time, who's stopping you)

'fuel' is a subtype of 'mass'. The article says "In the future, we may in someway". In the future in some way, there's about infinite ways to produce energy through methods preferable to today's.
And the article linked knows it perfectly well: At page THREE, it talks about fuel crops. And right-out states all the sources found from non-ad-hoc crop would be equivalent to 19% of US' electricity need (And not energy need, since the article is unclear).

And no one is against the use of available biomass, but the current trend is "Solar\Wind\Biomass\Whatever will save the world, no need to worry!" and that's the only reason you see skepticism against those.

And again, we're all aware of the reasons why nuclear isn't implemented or easily implementable. We've been talking about it for years.
This being a public forum, we cannot influence policy. All we can do is actually explain that nuclear has the engineering problems down, and just needs to solve the political\psychological ones, which, incredibly, are proving far more arduous than the engineering ones, with all respect to Opppenheimer and Fermi.

I'm not going to bother responding point-to-point anymore, since it seems arguing semantics is all you want.

Fukushima's cost amortized against Fukushima plant only or the whole nuclear industry? The 115b estimate or the 11b estimate?
Doing worst case, as usual (115b)
Against the single fukushima plant ( 877 GW·h, wikipedia sourced but it's well within the expected values of load), it comes out as 13$ to the KWh, not accounting for accrued interest on past earnings. (Which is huge, a dollar in the '70s is 3.5 dollars today at 3% interest - i guess we should do year-by-year calc, it's probably around 10$)
This isn't very surprising, considering the plant's planned expenses weren't even a small fraction of 115b, and there were some new reactors that hadn't gone their full life yet (5-6)
Against 2012's nuclear power generation (372GW, at 80% load http://www.euronuclear.org/info/encyclopedia/n/nuclear-power-plant-world-wide.htm, ~3700TWh, comes out as 3c/KWh.
Over the energy produced post-2000, roughly 0.25c/KWh. (Again, not adjusted for accrued interest and inflation, but over 12 years it's not very relevant)
Using the estimate without land cost and with the decomissioning near the lower bound, the figures are (5~10) times lower.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=solution-to-renewable-energy-more-renewable-energy

quote:

By 2030, scaled-up green power could meet the demands of a large grid 99.9 percent of the time, according to new research from the University of Delaware.

A mix of offshore and onshore wind, along with contributions from solar power, could provide reliable power flow during all but a handful of days in the hypothetical four-year period under study.

Moreover, researchers found that scaling up renewable generation capacity to seemingly excessive levels -- more than three times the needed load, in some instances -- proved more cost-effective than scaling up storage capacity, due to the high systems costs associated with storage technology.

"That's a lot of overbuilding," said Willett Kempton, a professor in the School of Marine Science and Policy at the University of Delaware and a co-author of the study. Much of that excess capacity would be underused during all but a few days a year, he said.

At the same time, thermal power plants face a similar problem today through inefficiency, he added.

"If you think about it, power plants burn three times the amount of fuel energy needed to produce their energy output," he said. "You burn three units of coal to get one unit of electricity."

Overgeneration would be cost effective even if all excess energy were simply dumped, according to the study. If that excess energy were harnessed -- to offset the costs of heating fuels, for example -- costs could be lowered even further.

Diversity of supply
Reliability has long been the Achilles' heel of renewable energy, which depends on intermittent weather conditions like wind and sun to generate power. However, by extending enough wind turbines and solar panels over a wide enough area, it is possible to achieve approximate reliability by shifting power from active to passive regions.

The study did not assume the introduction of new, more efficient technologies, although it did form its calculations based on 2030 technology costs and energy prices. Its models incorporated four years of energy use and weather data from within PJM Interconnection, a regional transmission organization covering about one-fifth of the United States' total electrical system.

The simulations were run on the XSEDE supercomputer network, a project of the National Science Foundation. The researchers ran 28 billion separate simulations, sifting for the lowest possible cost to achieve varying levels of reliability for 72 gigawatts of power.

The simulations found that onshore wind power was consistently the cheapest renewable option, followed by offshore wind, with solar power and limited hydrogen energy storage coming online only when the researchers asked for near-perfect reliability.

"When we modeled to cover 30 percent of the hours under study, the least-cost scenario didn't include any offshore wind or solar, Kempton said. "When we modeled for 90 percent reliability, the scenario included both offshore and onshore wind."

It wasn't until the researchers asked for a scenario in which energy supply met demand 99.9 percent of the time that solar was brought into the picture, he said.

"Solar was more expensive than wind power, but it also matched load most closely," said Cory Budischak, an instructor at Delaware Technical Community College and co-author of the study. "It's more windy at night, but sunnier during the day when you see most of your peak demand. So at 90 percent reliability you can get by with just wind, but to get that last 9.9 percent, you really need solar."

Electric car batteries as backups
By building up renewable energy capacity to around 290 percent, energy could be delivered at a low cost with very little battery storage needed, Budischak said.

"You still need battery storage, but only enough for a couple of days, rather than a couple of weeks," he said.

The researchers ran simulations based on varying levels of battery and electric car storage. Electric cars, which could be tapped during daytime hours to help meet peak demand, provide the cheapest storage option since most of their costs would be absorbed by their owners, Kempton said.

"But with cars, you run into resource constraints," Kempton said. "It's not like every person in PJM is going to have five electric vehicles."

He added, "With wind and solar we don't see the same kind of constraints."

While most analysts believe the world can -- and, if the worst effects of climate change are to be averted, must -- transfer to a predominantly renewable-based energy economy, the role of fossil fuels as backup power supply is still hotly debated.

An article in the Los Angeles Times this week cited several sources as claiming that upscaling renewable would need to be met with a corresponding rise in traditional fossil fuel power plants in order to ensure baseload power supply.

According the University of Delaware study, a large enough system of renewable energy generators could feasibly fill its own reliability gaps. "In our 99.9 percent scenario, we found that, in four years, only five times would you need to bring fossil-fuel plants back online to ensure power supply," Kempton said.

Rather than build new plants, a few of the coal or gas plants offset by new renewable supplies could be kept online to provide that backup power, he said.

Article showing that 99.9% uptime is possible with just renewables, in America.

John McCain
Jan 29, 2009
For the low low price of probably trillions of dollars in capital investment, much of which would not see enough use to ever be profitable.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Frogmanv2 posted:

In 15 years, maybe.

15 years ago we were going to have fusion power in 15 years.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Rent-A-Cop posted:

In 15 years, maybe.

15 years ago we were going to have fusion power in 15 years.

quote:

[The study did not assume the introduction of new, more efficient technologies,

The only thing stopping you is people like John McCain (the poster, not the politician)

John McCain
Jan 29, 2009
Mostly what's stopping it from happening is that it's not profitable and the political will doesn't exist to maintain the level of taxation and/or debt that would be necessary to finance the plants publicly. Make no mistake, a program to replace 99.9% of the generative capacity of the US with renewable sources would be a capital investment on a scale the US hasn't seen since the Great Depression (and probably higher than even most of the New Deal).

For example, Hoover Dam cost ca. $700m in 2008 dollars and has a maximum capacity of 2 GW. The existing summer generative capacity of the US is approx. 1 TW. The article suggests overbuilding generation to 300% required, so the needed capacity by 2030 would be at least 3 TW assuming no electrical energy growth needed over the next 20 years. That means you need to build 1500 Hoover Dams (!!!!) for a cost of ca. $1 trillion. Of course, you can't possibly build 1500 Hoover Dams (which, incidentally, is currently producing power for a cost of ca. 1.6c/KWh, which is dirt cheap compared to most renewables), so the real price tag is going to be significantly higher than $1 trillion.

John McCain fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Apr 17, 2013

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

John McCain posted:

Mostly what's stopping it from happening is that it's not profitable and the political will doesn't exist to maintain the level of taxation and/or debt that would be necessary to finance the plants publicly. Make no mistake, a program to replace 99.9% of the generative capacity of the US with renewable sources would be a capital investment on a scale the US hasn't seen since the Great Depression.

For example, Hoover Dam cost ca. $700m in 2008 dollars and has a maximum capacity of 2 GW. The existing summer generative capacity of the US is approx. 1 TW. The article suggests overbuilding generation to 300% required, so the needed capacity by 2030 would be at least 3 TW assuming no electrical energy growth needed over the next 20 years. That means you need to build 1500 Hoover Dams (!!!!) for a cost of ca. $1 trillion. Of course, you can't possibly build 1500 Hoover Dams (which, incidentally, is currently producing power for a cost of ca. 1.6c/KWh, which is dirt cheap compared to most renewables), so the real price tag is going to be significantly higher than $1 trillion.

I understand all this.

Its the insistence on profitability at the expense of all else that I have the issue with. No value is given to the health of the people around the power generation asset, or the impacts on the environment. Just the ability of it to make money.

Also pretty sure that you guys could use a few more jobs over there, to help stimulate your economy a bit. Maybe this could help?

John McCain
Jan 29, 2009
It's not an issue of profitability for its own sake, it's simply the fact that you're never going to attract private investment for something that's unprofitable. And in order to adjust the market to properly account for the significant negative externalities of non-renewable generation would require a significant political sea change just to admit climate change as a problem, much less to agree to government subsidies (!) or, God forbid, new taxes (!!).

And profitability issues aside, we're talking about huge expenditures of capital to build the drat plants. How much of the US GDP should be devoted solely to construction of new power plants? One percent? Five percent? Ten percent? That represents a titanic investment of concrete, steel, and labor. The mining for the steel and concrete alone would itself cause significant environmental damage.

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!

Frogmanv2 posted:

I understand all this.

Its the insistence on profitability at the expense of all else that I have the issue with. No value is given to the health of the people around the power generation asset, or the impacts on the environment. Just the ability of it to make money.

Also pretty sure that you guys could use a few more jobs over there, to help stimulate your economy a bit. Maybe this could help?

You're thinking about a expanding energy as a social non-profit service. However social services also need to at least break-even in terms of cost-vs-state funding.

Jobs don't mean much if they are economically unsustainable either. Cost overruns can hit private projects just as much as state ones.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

John McCain posted:

It's not an issue of profitability for its own sake, it's simply the fact that you're never going to attract private investment for something that's unprofitable.

Yes. Because of people who insist on turning a profit before they invest in anything.

quote:

And in order to adjust the market to properly account for the significant negative externalities of non-renewable generation would require a significant political sea change just to admit climate change as a problem, much less to agree to government subsidies (!) or, God forbid, new taxes (!!).
I swear Obama had something to say about climate change in his latest SotU address.

http://gigaom.com/2013/02/12/president-obama-if-congress-wont-act-on-climate-change-i-will/

quote:

And profitability issues aside, we're talking about huge expenditures of capital to build the drat plants. How much of the US GDP should be devoted solely to construction of new power plants? One percent? Five percent? Ten percent? That represents a titanic investment of concrete, steel, and labor. The mining for the steel and concrete alone would itself cause significant environmental damage.
Personally, I would take any subsidies or government funds going to the fossil fuel industry, and immediately cap them at current levels, then start to reduce them down over the next 5-10 years, till they dont get anything. Take that money, and pump it into renewable energy projects. That will give you a bit of a head start.

I understand that there will be some environmental damage due to the mining. I believe this is a better result than the environmental damage due to the mining of coal, with the added bonus of not burning the coal and loving with the atmosphere.

Office Thug posted:

You're thinking about a expanding energy as a social non-profit service. However social services also need to at least break-even in terms of cost-vs-state funding.
Since when? Im pretty sure the police force is social service that doesnt break even in terms of cost-vs-state funding. There are others, like garbage collection, or verge/park maintenance.

quote:

Jobs don't mean much if they are economically unsustainable either. Cost overruns can hit private projects just as much as state ones.
Im struggling to understand what you mean by this.

John McCain
Jan 29, 2009
If you want people to invest in projects that they know very well aren't profitable and never will be profitable you're going to have to do something about that pesky "human nature" thing. And while switching government subsidies from fossil fuels to renewable power will provide a start, it'll be a drop in the bucket compared to the amount of investment required to reach 99.9% renewable by 2030. We're talking New Deal/WWII Reconstruction investment levels required.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

John McCain posted:

If you want people to invest in projects that they know very well aren't profitable and never will be profitable you're going to have to do something about that pesky "human nature" thing.
And finally, the argument has come full circle.

quote:

The only thing stopping you is people like John McCain (the poster, not the politician)

quote:

And while switching government subsidies from fossil fuels to renewable power will provide a start, it'll be a drop in the bucket compared to the amount of investment required to reach 99.9% renewable by 2030. We're talking New Deal/WWII Reconstruction investment levels required.
Ok. I understand its a lot of money. I understand some people dont like spending a lot of money. I understand that the economy in America is all sorts of hosed up, and you dont have a lot of money just lying around. I still think it would be worth the cost.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin

Frogmanv2 posted:

Ok. I understand its a lot of money. I understand some people dont like spending a lot of money. I understand that the economy in America is all sorts of hosed up, and you dont have a lot of money just lying around. I still think it would be worth the cost.

America by definition has essentially infinite money lying around, it's a matter of getting people to vote to use it.

The thing is, John McCain, if you're going to shut down any argument for non-carbon generation, whether it's renewable or nuclear, with "well fossil fuels are cheaper" then we should just all go home and await death, because thanks to an entire global network and economic model built off them fossil fuels aren't going to be more expensive until CO2's at 600 ppm and we're all cooking.

Seriously, your entire objection to the research is "well it'll never happen because too much of the US think climate change is a liberal plot and the alternatives aren't magically cheaper today." No poo poo? That's why we're in the situation we're in in the first place. Why even have a thread about alternative energy?

John McCain
Jan 29, 2009
The problem is not convincing you that it's a good idea, the problem is convincing the people who have control of the trillions of dollars needed to get the project done.

I don't think a gradual transition to renewables is impossible, but I do think that getting America on 99.9% renewables by 2030 is impossible. I think we're pretty much hosed at this point in terms of avoiding significant climate change, but that doesn't mean we should give up, because at this rate we're going to boil the oceans. Also, this is a thread about energy generation, not exclusively alternative energy generation.

John McCain fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Apr 17, 2013

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Frogmanv2 posted:

Since when? Im pretty sure the police force is social service that doesnt break even in terms of cost-vs-state funding. There are others, like garbage collection, or verge/park maintenance.

It's a really bad idea to subsidize energy usage over the long run. The amount of heat we throw out already noticeably warms our cities up, no need to encourage people to use more. Activities like consuming energy should fully internalize their costs.

I would still have the state do it, though, they're the ones who are best placed to perform that kind of expensive, long-term investment. Turn it over to the Navy as a national defense measure, like our interstate troop transportation highways. They already handle nuclear reactors on ships and thus are uniquely positioned to cut through the red tape and build newer, safer reactor designs.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Apr 17, 2013

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Paul MaudDib posted:

It's a really bad idea to subsidize energy usage over the long run. The amount of heat we throw out already noticeably warms our cities up, no need to encourage people to use more. Activities like consuming energy should fully internalize their costs.

I would still have the state do it, though, they're the ones who are best placed to perform that kind of expensive, long-term investment. Turn it over to the Navy as a national defense measure, like our interstate troop transportation highways. They already handle nuclear reactors on ships and thus are uniquely positioned to cut through the red tape and build newer, safer reactor designs.

Good points.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin

John McCain posted:

The problem is not convincing you that it's a good idea, the problem is convincing the people who have control of the trillions of dollars needed to get the project done.

You'd be amazed at how many people there are who don't KNOW that viable alternatives to fossil fuels exist. The number of people I talk to on behalf of BZE who even know what solar thermal is, let alone what it does, is a minority.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Frogmanv2 posted:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=solution-to-renewable-energy-more-renewable-energy

99.9% sounds like a lot, but it really isn't that great. It's a downtime of roughly 10 minutes per week, or 43 per month, or just under 9 hours per year. We will still need a baseload generating capacity to get that up to an acceptable number.

CombatInformatiker
Apr 11, 2012

spankmeister posted:

99.9% sounds like a lot, but it really isn't that great. It's a downtime of roughly 10 minutes per week, or 43 per month, or just under 9 hours per year. We will still need a baseload generating capacity to get that up to an acceptable number.
That article is a little fuzzy on the details, but from what I understood, it gets 99.9% uptime from a combination of onshore, offshore and solar. Does that include already existing hydro power generation? If not, that would probably bring the reliability up to 100%. If it does, however, then running a couple of natural gas power plants for 9 hours/year wouldn't be so bad, either (since they would to satisfy only a small part of the total power demand).

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

I don't understand how you can be so mistaken.

Frogmanv2 posted:

The actual paper can be found here (it's an in-browser reader with an irritating buffer feature, but there's a PDF link at the top).

A few points that I found interesting:
  • the "15 years from now" criticism is valid - for example, the report uses Grid-integrated vehicles as a proposed medium for energy storage. It may be technologically sound, but it would take a few years simply to build those cars and put them in the hands of consumers (also grid and meter upgrades etc)
  • the meteorological data sampling is much lazier than that used in the BZE/ZCA2020 report; they took solar irradiation data from Wilmington and then decided "Wilmington is pretty much average, right? Good enough; extrapolate those numbers across the eastern seaboard."
  • the simulation covered only the northeastern United States (presumably for reasons of simplicity - perhaps this region had the most comprehensive, or the most accessible, data on energy generation and distribution?)
  • overcapacity is sort-of handwaved, since they plan to use the excess to displace natural gas home-heating. Of course, if that was succesful it would simply increase the magnitude of base electricity demand, thus requiring additional renewable generating capacity in order to meet the 99.9% satisfaction threshold. I suppose that you could use some kind of recursive modeling for substitution/response rates but :effort:
  • The report assumes a 20-year lifespan (and/or amortization period) for new construction.
  • The projected retail power rate (0.17 USD/kWh) for their renewable mix (incl. amortized capital costs) is comparable with their 0.18 USD/kWh estimate of the total (incl. externalities) cost of coal power.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

CombatInformatiker posted:

That article is a little fuzzy on the details, but from what I understood, it gets 99.9% uptime from a combination of onshore, offshore and solar. Does that include already existing hydro power generation? If not, that would probably bring the reliability up to 100%. If it does, however, then running a couple of natural gas power plants for 9 hours/year wouldn't be so bad, either (since they would to satisfy only a small part of the total power demand).

Isn't the whole point of baseload power as a concept that power plants have to be kept running 100% of the time, because the outages due to lack of other sources/peaks in usage can't be predicted with total accuracy, and it takes hours/days for a cold plant to spin up to useful output?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

I don't understand how you can be so mistaken.

Fuschia tude posted:

Isn't the whole point of baseload power as a concept that power plants have to be kept running 100% of the time, because the outages due to lack of other sources/peaks in usage can't be predicted with total accuracy, and it takes hours/days for a cold plant to spin up to useful output?
Coal, nuclear, and oil-fired power plants do indeed have long startup times. However, we already have peakers (such as gas turbines) which can spin-up relatively quickly in order to meet sudden demand (or simultaneous low output at several renewable generating stations).

The rationale behind the 99.9% threshold is described in the report. It was mostly a matter of economics - costs rise asymptotically as you approach 100% (remember - getting from 90% to 99.9% requires 3x overcapacity). To cover those "missing" 9 hours per year, it's much more feasible to burn fossil fuels or use electricity-pricing schemes to shift demand around.