Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

LightWarden posted:

Chuuls aren't outsiders so they're not something you can normally summon using spells. Mezzoloth was mentioned earlier, and Piscoloth is another option.

D&D has a fair amount of evil lobster monsters.
One moment, I know exactly what it is, lemme just dig out my Fiend Folio (ugh).

Edit It's a Yugoloth, I bet. Specifically, a Piscoloth. Evil outsider, looks like a crab monster, CR 9. (Fiend Folio pg. 196)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
I have to wonder what it would take to break Malack's thrall over Durkula. Bottoming out his HP and sending him back to his coffin? Actually destroying him?

When characters get dominated in this strip, they all seem to be fully aware of what they're being forced to do, and there are no lingering effects once the domination is broken. If Durkon breaks free or is set free, I think he'd still be loyal to the party. He may have gone evil, but that doesn't automatically make him an enemy of the party. That's just not in his personality.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I can see that. One caveat: he would need to get his hands on the Protection from Daylight spell or their options in just about any situation would be seriously impeded. Save the world, but do it either without your cleric or exclusively indoors and at night.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Monster-san will be finally revealed when Durkon steals his magical umbrella.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

On the other hand Malack seemed pretty convinced that him being resurrected would 'kill' who he is now. The same may apply to Durkon and he may be a different person.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

IMJack posted:

I have to wonder what it would take to break Malack's thrall over Durkula. Bottoming out his HP and sending him back to his coffin? Actually destroying him?

When characters get dominated in this strip, they all seem to be fully aware of what they're being forced to do, and there are no lingering effects once the domination is broken. If Durkon breaks free or is set free, I think he'd still be loyal to the party. He may have gone evil, but that doesn't automatically make him an enemy of the party. That's just not in his personality.

The thing is, the bulk of the change isn't because he's dominated. If Malack is to be trusted (Yeah, yeah, I know) Durkula is a completely different person from Durkon. I get the feeling that this being-made-a-vampire thing is comparable to Malack having a child with Durkon, with the caveat of murdering Durkon in the process.

On the other hand, if we take that joke-panel with vampire-Roy seriously, he'll stay the same, with the addition of a hunger he won't be able to control.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

ImpAtom posted:

On the other hand Malack seemed pretty convinced that him being resurrected would 'kill' who he is now. The same may apply to Durkon and he may be a different person.

It would in a sense. Resurrection would kill "Malack" and everything he's done as a vampire would be rendered pretty pointless. Resurrection on Vamp-Durkon would bring back Durkon and banish the domination IIRC.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
I always assumed being undeaded worked like putting on a Helm of Opposite Alignment, or being targeted by a Morality Undone spell: your personality remains recognizable, but more destructive, domineering, selfish, and callous. You become a dark reflection of who your were.

I doubt Durkpire will stick with the party as an undead unless Malak/Tarquin choose to, but neither do I think the probably lawful evil Durkpire and probably lawful evil Malak are going to be willing to do any lasting harm to the Order; Durkpire because of his past loyalties, and Malak because of his oath to Durkon.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Despite being evil, Durkula knows about the gates and the Snarl and that the gods might unmake the world if they need to build a new prison for the Snarl. Most evil people like the world, and do not want it destroyed. If they understood the situation it is quite possible for evil characters to help the OotS purely out of self-interest. If he knew everything even Tarquin would likely prefer for the whole gate situation to just go away, because he has the power he wants.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

LightWarden posted:

Chuuls aren't outsiders so they're not something you can normally summon using spells. Mezzoloth was mentioned earlier, and Piscoloth is another option.

D&D has a fair amount of evil lobster monsters.

Fiendish Chuul.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I don't know if I'd summon anything with visibly edible bits to go up against Belkar.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Have we been told the exact extent Tarquin does know about the gates? Now that Durkon's being helpful, maybe he'll chime in with some worrying information.

Hey, along those lines - would Nergal know about the Snarl? Maybe at some point when they get close enough he'll smack Malack and say 'knock it off on this one, okay?'.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Apr 11, 2013

Heatwizard
Nov 6, 2009

MikeJF posted:

Have we been told the exact extent Tarquin does know about the gates? Now that Durkon's being helpful, maybe he'll chime in with some worrying information.

Hey, along those lines - would Nergal know about the Snarl? Maybe at some point when they get close enough he'll smack Malack and say 'knock it off on this one, okay?'.

He knows what Nale knows, which is roughly 'the gate is dangerous and can be turned into a weapon'. Durkon, and the rest of the Order, don't really know more than that themselves, so there's not a lot he could volunteer. Unless Nergal became a god after the creation of the new world, he knows about the Snarl, but the gods in this setting are kind of inconsistent about how hands-on they are with their followers. Durkon praying for spells before getting bitten was rendered as straight-up calling Thor's cell phone, but the Dark One doesn't seem to speak to Redcloak at all, given how surprised he is to be getting a message through Jirix. It's entirely possible that Nergal could send down a letter saying "look, this artifact is off-limits, please stay the hell away from it/blow it up before anyone else touches it", but it's anyone's guess.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Actually, along those lines, did the Snarl eat everything except the gods, inhabitants outer planes and all? Because otherwise you'd think it'd be pretty common knowledge. They wouldn't have exactly missed the Prime Material Plane getting destroyed.

But it wouldn't have been within the powers of the gods (or the will) to recreate all of the nastier outer plane stuff.

AlexG
Jul 15, 2004
If you can't solve a problem with gaffer tape, it's probably insoluble anyway.

ImpAtom posted:

A possible clue to this is that since vampirization, he's lost his distinctive accent.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Didn't Malack mention that he still had to do an extra ritual that would somehow restore a bit of Durkon's personality, but didn't have the resources to do it now?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Not quiet. When a DnD vampire creates a spawn, the spawn is under it's creators total control until the creator chooses to release it. Durkula is essentially a personality-less drone until further notice, since Malack doesn't want him to be conflicted about fighting the Order.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Heatwizard posted:

He knows what Nale knows, which is roughly 'the gate is dangerous and can be turned into a weapon'.
No, Nale knows what the Order knows. He got Roy to go back and have Shojo repeat the exposition.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
:siren: New strip! :siren:

Well, thank gently caress for that realisation.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Dallan Invictus posted:

:siren: New strip! :siren:

Well, thank gently caress for that realisation.

What realization? I'll be honest, I thought nothing at all happened that strip.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
I think it's mostly the realisation that "hey, now is not actually the time to go catatonic with guilt".

Anything that makes it look like this scene will some day end earns high praise from me.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

Nilbop posted:

What realization? I'll be honest, I thought nothing at all happened that strip.

The realization that the Order descended rather than staying in the upper chamber, so that V will be going towards them rather than away.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Sefer posted:

The realization that the Order descended rather than staying in the upper chamber, so that V will be going towards them rather than away.

V/Blackwing is Best Team.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Eh, needed more words and less action.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

FMguru posted:

Eh, needed more words and less action.

Nicely done. :golfclap:

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

sebmojo posted:

V/Blackwing is Best Team.

Now they are using that high Intelligence roll, glad to see it.

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

How do I say, "You're the grossest thing ever" without offending you?
Grimey Drawer
I detect some wisdom in there too, enough to accept responsibility despite the easier "the splices made me do it" argument.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

TunaSpleen posted:

I detect some wisdom in there too, enough to accept responsibility despite the easier "the splices made me do it" argument.

Smells good. Smells like... Character development.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Great, I see so many posts and come into this thread thinking there's an update, then it's just... What? There's an update? Well ok then.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Why haven't they vaporized the imp, then? I get that at the end there they were able to figure out where Roy is based on the Imp's reaction, but unless he serves some other purpose it would probably help to get rid of him.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Ain't worth the spell slot man.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Well remember what happened the last time V blew a lot of spells trying to kill that little poo poo?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Besides which, killing the Imp just sends it home.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I'm fairly confident that since Quarr is an outsider, killing him would just lead to his essence merging with the plane he originated from.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

ShadowCatboy posted:

I'm fairly confident that since Quarr is an outsider, killing him would just lead to his essence merging with the plane he originated from.

Yeah, Celia already established that death is a permanent end to the existence of an outsider (as opposed to mortals who either just have to wait for a rez, or get to enjoy an afterlife for eternity)

Slashrat fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Apr 17, 2013

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I thought killing devils and demons just sent them back to their home plane, and to really kill them you had to go to their home plane and kill them there.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer
It depends on the specifics of Rich's cosmology, but by the usual D&D cosmology, basically, yeah. What Celia's describing is true for elemental outsiders, but not necessarily for all outsiders in general.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
In standard DnD, Outsiders conjured to a plane on a temporary basis through spells are banished, outsiders that have physically transversed to a plane (through Plane Shift or Gate) dissolve into planar substance when they are slain.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The summons (like the lobsteroloth Durkon conjured a few pages ago) are merely "projected" so if you kill them it just ends the summon; the actual critter is still safe and sound in its original plane.

If an outsider is actually slain, though, it cannot be raised, reincarnated, or resurrected. However, it can still be True Resurrected, so there's that. Limited Wish, Wish, and Miracle will also work. Finally, "native outsiders" (like the planetouched) can be raised/reincarnated/resurrected just like normal mortals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.

Slashrat posted:

Yeah, Celia already established that death is a permanent end to the existence of an outsider (as opposed to mortals who either just have to wait for a rez, or get to enjoy an afterlife for eternity)

That revelation was really... :smith:

That whole plot line when she was hanging out with Haley and in danger, the whole time I was reading it I just kept thinking Celia no don't die :ohdear: