Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Calico Noose
Jun 26, 2010

Bmac32 posted:

So, idea by Alpha Phoenix, one of the most simple and effective conversions I have done to date.

Sons of Bragg and Jarl Skuld + tricorne hat

Those Sons of Bragg almost look like they're not the malformed spawn of incest they were sculpted as. You sir are a master turd polisher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
For those rocking trolls, what hat did you use? I am totally stealing that.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

SirJoeKCB posted:

If it's any consolation, putting Rush on Madrak is illegal.

:stonk:

Well. I guess that'll learn me.

Nightwatcher
Apr 18, 2007
So, I am seriously thinking about buying the units I need to run this list:
System: Warmachine
Faction: Cygnar
Casters: 1/1
Lord Commander Stryker (*6pts)
* Lancer (6pts)
* Stormwall (19pts)
* Squire (2pts)
Black 13th Gun Mage Strike Team (4pts)
Sword Knights (Leader and 9 Grunts) (6pts)
* Sword Knight Officer & Standard (2pts)
Archduke Alain Runewood (3pts)
Eiryss, Mage Hunter of Ios (3pts)
Gorman di Wulfe, Rogue Alchemist (2pts)
Journeyman Warcaster (3pts)

Any comments? The list is built around alpha striking with the feat and abusing positive charge and flanking with the knights.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

evenworse username posted:

Well. I guess that'll learn me.

Always, and I mean always ask to read the cards of anything you're unfamiliar with and pay close attention to the wording.

Amateur Sketch
Feb 23, 2008

a kaleidoscopic supernova
of all your hopes and dreams

Flipswitch posted:

Anyone here tried using Proteus much? He looks fairly wank but I'm wondering if I can pull off some jank with his Drag/Pull rules.

I've tried him in smaller games and he wasn't really much help. I'm sure the drag/ pull rules could be useful against infantry UAs and shield walls, but I don't usually see enough of those to justify him over a Carnivean.

I still want to try him with Vayl for dark sentinel shenanigans, but that's still really situational.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Thrown damage ignores shields correct?

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Hipster Occultist posted:

Always, and I mean always ask to read the cards of anything you're unfamiliar with and pay close attention to the wording.

I know I should do this, but I always feel like a jerk asking to see the other guy's cards. Should get over that.

On a happier note, despite getting Baldur killed several times, I feel like I am getting how he works reasonably well. I can't seem to get my head around eKrueger but Baldur, I feel all right about. How well does he hold up as points values go up, Circle dudes?

Anti-Citizen
Oct 24, 2007
As You're Playing Chess, I'm Playing Russian Roulette

I know I should do this, but I always feel like a jerk asking to see the other guy's cards. Should get over that.

On a happier note, despite getting Baldur killed several times, I feel like I am getting how he works reasonably well. I can't seem to get my head around eKrueger but Baldur, I feel all right about. How well does he hold up as points values go up, Circle dudes?

Baulder can works well until about 50, any more and the fact that everything wants to stay in his 12 inch control becomes a hassle.

He's probably got the best synergy with Bloodtrackers between Stone Skin and Solid Ground, so that fact alone makes him pretty top tier. If you can afford to play him close, using his feat after trackers scoot off of something will keep that whole unit safe from a counter-charge pretty easily, and remember to keep the tackers in the middle of your activations because 14/11 is usually better defensive stats than 13/13.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

Very well. I don't play him, but pre-Colossals he was widely considered one of our best casters and I think his stock is high again in 2013, though his theme force isn't as ubiquitous as before. He's virtually a hard counter to some of Circle's worst matchup. Nothing wrong with pBaldur.

Bmac32
Nov 25, 2012

Excelsiortothemax posted:

For those rocking trolls, what hat did you use? I am totally stealing that.

It's the hat from Broadsides Bart. It's a complete separate bit, would probably word in a variety of ways. Strangely, it fits on the troll's heads suspiciously well.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

Bmac32 posted:

It's the hat from Broadsides Bart. It's a complete separate bit, would probably word in a variety of ways. Strangely, it fits on the troll's heads suspiciously well.

Attached this:

http://store.privateerpress.com/captainmontadorhat.aspx

The feather had to come off for Wrathar, because of his smoke stacks, so he'll have a hat-pin instead.

Arlaharen
Aug 2, 2003

KISSIGA TESTIKLAR

Not a Circle dude, but I've been on the receiving end of Baldur's T4 list at 50p a few times. It's super fast, has a lot of tricks, looks really fun to play and can totally steamroll scenarios. On top of that it looks awesome on the table. A bunch of stone-guys and rock-shrimps running around while forests keeps popping up all over the place gently caress yeah.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Thrown damage ignores shields correct?

The only thing that ignores shields is having the damage come from the back arc, and chain weapons.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Aurora and Angel previews today?

Oh I am such a happy boy today!

19 inch run with Angels from AD is too funny. I can only hope that they are like FA 2 and cost 3 so I can seriously threaten my opponents solos and support as the rest of my metal army gets into position. Also Refuge on a feat is just icing on the cake.

Ahahahaha!

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Anti-Citizen posted:

Baulder can works well until about 50, any more and the fact that everything wants to stay in his 12 inch control becomes a hassle.

He's probably got the best synergy with Bloodtrackers between Stone Skin and Solid Ground, so that fact alone makes him pretty top tier. If you can afford to play him close, using his feat after trackers scoot off of something will keep that whole unit safe from a counter-charge pretty easily, and remember to keep the tackers in the middle of your activations because 14/11 is usually better defensive stats than 13/13.

Sulecrist posted:

Very well. I don't play him, but pre-Colossals he was widely considered one of our best casters and I think his stock is high again in 2013, though his theme force isn't as ubiquitous as before. He's virtually a hard counter to some of Circle's worst matchup. Nothing wrong with pBaldur.

Arlaharen posted:

Not a Circle dude, but I've been on the receiving end of Baldur's T4 list at 50p a few times. It's super fast, has a lot of tricks, looks really fun to play and can totally steamroll scenarios. On top of that it looks awesome on the table. A bunch of stone-guys and rock-shrimps running around while forests keeps popping up all over the place gently caress yeah.

Cool, thanks guys, good to know. I know I will need to get Megalith going to really go with Baldur, and I guess I should make some better looking forest templates than the circles of green construction paper I'm currently rocking.

SirJoeKCB
Dec 24, 2003

Aurora and Angel previews today?

Oh I am such a happy boy today!

19 inch run with Angels from AD is too funny. I can only hope that they are like FA 2 and cost 3 so I can seriously threaten my opponents solos and support as the rest of my metal army gets into position. Also Refuge on a feat is just icing on the cake.

Ahahahaha!

They are apparently FA 3.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

3 man unit, probably 4-5pts?

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

Flipswitch posted:

3 man unit, probably 4-5pts?

That's what I was thinking as well. 3 is a bit too cheap for what they can do. 4 is more likely.

Gotta wait till next month's NQ to get it all. I do hope that next week brings the battle engine.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Bah! Apparently you can't run and Reform. That puts a hamper on some movement shenanigans

Edit:

After doing some researching though it actually looks like you can get 26 inches of movement.

Spd 7 + True path +2, Charge + 3 for the initial 12. Then Under Refuge it lets you move again, and the wording of True Path states that as long as the unit activated in the Aurora's CTRL area they get the bonus movement. So that's another 9. Then Reform 3 with another True Path boost +2.

Bam! In your back zone.

Excelsiortothemax fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Apr 18, 2013

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

Bah! Apparently you can't run and Reform. That puts a hamper on some movement shenanigans

Edit:

After doing some researching though it actually looks like you can get 26 inches of movement.

Spd 7 + True path +2, Charge + 3 for the initial 12. Then Under Refuge it lets you move again, and the wording of True Path states that as long as the unit activated in the Aurora's CTRL area they get the bonus movement. So that's another 9. Then Reform 3 with another True Path boost +2.

Bam! In your back zone.

EDIT: Missed that Refuge was the feat. That's awesome.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

I'm gonna pass out from this giant robo-boner, oh god

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

"I'm past caring about what might be lost by letting alphabet soups monitor every last piece of communication between every human being on the planet."

I unironically love Big Brother.
I know some people don't like druids, but I'm thinking I like them with pBaldur. Solid Ground means they can clump up to share a vortex, and counter magic makes it hard to purify Solid Ground. Elemental Protection means you don't have to deal with the blight that is auto fire AoEs. His damage buff means that the druid's low damage output isn't as big of a deal.

The other one I'm sort of liking with pBaluder is the Shadowhorn. If you double dip primal and strength of earth, it does some reasonable damage, and with leap it can do it with a reasonable threat. Plus it is basically everything you could want in a power attack platform. Then again, one of the reasons I really like Circle is that it is the power attack faction. If only the Wold Wrath had Grand Slam, or was generally better at power attacks, kind of sucks to have new power attacks and the power attack faction not really cashing in (holy crap is SPD 10 Storm wall under Kraye absurd at power attacks).

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Cyclomatic posted:

I know some people don't like druids, but I'm thinking I like them with pBaldur. Solid Ground means they can clump up to share a vortex, and counter magic makes it hard to purify Solid Ground. Elemental Protection means you don't have to deal with the blight that is auto fire AoEs. His damage buff means that the druid's low damage output isn't as big of a deal.

The other one I'm sort of liking with pBaluder is the Shadowhorn. If you double dip primal and strength of earth, it does some reasonable damage, and with leap it can do it with a reasonable threat. Plus it is basically everything you could want in a power attack platform. Then again, one of the reasons I really like Circle is that it is the power attack faction. If only the Wold Wrath had Grand Slam, or was generally better at power attacks, kind of sucks to have new power attacks and the power attack faction not really cashing in (holy crap is SPD 10 Storm wall under Kraye absurd at power attacks).

Who doesn't like druids? They are an awesome unit. I don't bring them in every list because they don't really fit with all warlocks, but at least half my lists probably have them.

In more skorne related news, bought me some cetrati, incindarii, tyrant standard, and krea yesterday. Got them all based at least yesterday to use in games last night, but finished assembling the incindarii tonight and man do they look awesome, on top of being pretty easy to assemble.

Anti-Citizen
Oct 24, 2007
As You're Playing Chess, I'm Playing Russian Roulette

Cyclomatic posted:

Honestly the damage in melee is never really a problem, its the Mat, but melee with Druids really means Vortex, pushing a Stalker up to Def 16, immune to knockdown is a great way to win the game.

I'm not sure Baulder can afford them at 35, but at 50 I usually have a mixed line of Druids and Bloodtrackers on the edge of his control area being basically unkillable, Reform making sure they're still screened by the druids after they lay down some ranged smack-down.

Lofidelity Media
Nov 4, 2004

"Its a Strange World...Let's keep it that way."

Nightwatcher posted:

So, I am seriously thinking about buying the units I need to run this list:
Faction: Cygnar
Lord Commander Stryker (*6pts)
* Lancer (6pts)
* Stormwall (19pts)
* Squire (2pts)
Black 13th Gun Mage Strike Team (4pts)
* Sword Knight Officer & Standard (2pts)
Archduke Alain Runewood (3pts)
Eiryss, Mage Hunter of Ios (3pts)
Gorman di Wulfe, Rogue Alchemist (2pts)
Journeyman Warcaster (3pts)

Any comments? The list is built around alpha striking with the feat and abusing positive charge and flanking with the knights.

I am not a big fan of any non-shooty Cygnar infantry. I think they're underpowered/overpriced and readily replaceable by much, much better merc units. What about dropping the Knights and Runewood but taking the Nyss Hunters and attaching Murdoch? That gives them Assault, a mini-feat Go to Ground AND gets them Friendly Faction for the feat turn. Run up, Go to Ground, Assault (which you can CRA), weapon master charge, then the weapon master feat attack. If you are worried about them being too squishy, back them up with the Piper for tough and pathfinder.

Maybe even have them trailed by eAlexia, scooping up corpse tokens as they fall and spitting Bane Thralls back out.

I also think that Stormwall is maybe the not the most ideal choice. Yes, it is amazing, but I prefer taking Ol' Rowdy and a Centurion with eStryker. Bond the Centurion to eStryker so he can give it 4 focus and so it gets the extra dice on its first attack (that you can then boost to get 4 dice on attack and a really nice shot at a crit) then bask in the glory that is Critical Sustained Attack. Ol' Rowdy and eStryker are a little more obvious since they pretty much take care of each other.

As always, your mileage may vary, and it should be noted that I've never tried playing with flank and a massive base.

Lofidelity Media fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Apr 19, 2013

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Lofidelity Media posted:

I am not a big fan of any non-shooty Cygnar infantry. I think they're underpowered/overpriced and readily replaceable by much, much better merc units. What about dropping the Knights and Runewood but taking the Nyss Hunters and attaching Murdoch? That gives them Assault, a mini-feat Go to Ground AND gets them Friendly Faction for the feat turn. Run up, Go to Ground, Assault (which you can CRA), weapon master charge, then the weapon master feat attack. If you are worried about them being too squishy, back them up with the Piper for tough and pathfinder.

FYI, Nyss don't need pathfinder and you can't CRA on an assault, due to the way assault is worded. Check it.

Lofidelity Media
Nov 4, 2004

Panzeh posted:

FYI, Nyss don't need pathfinder and you can't CRA on an assault, due to the way assault is worded. Check it.

Correct on all points.

I couldn't remember about the pathfinder, and I honestly thought that you could CRA on an assault since you can (CMA) with the charge part of it. Explicitly says otherwise in the card listing for assault, though. Thanks.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

So a friend is picking up the Hordes 2p Starter and just wants the Wolfies. I am trading for his Legion to have another loaner/alternate WMH faction, something radically different from my Khador/Protectorate to paint, and to start seeing how the Wild Things Play. Learn a bit about this crazy FURY thing.

Looking into it does this seem like a reasonable way to build up to 25 pts from the 2p starter stuff without spending an arm and a leg?

System: Hordes
Faction: Legion of Everblight
Lylyth, Herald of Everblight (*6pts)
* Shredder (2pts)
* Shredder (2pts)
* Shredder (2pts)
* Shredder (2pts)
* Carnivean (11pts)
Blighted Ogrun Warspears (Leader and 4 Grunts) (8pts)
* Warspear Chieftan (2pts)
Blighted Nyss Shepherd (1pts)
Feralgeist (1pts)

I feel that it's like... a lot of shredders, but I'm used to Khador where I have a caster and his trusty jack unless I'm doing something silly.

Should I maybe drop some shredders and ditch the feralgeist for something beefier?

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Apr 19, 2013

Lofidelity Media
Nov 4, 2004

Short answer:
Yes. That 's a solid place to start from, but not completely ideal for her. I've found the Warspears to be an absolute pain in the rear end to deal with when you add the Cheiftan UA. And playing sending land shark missiles screaming across the board is always fun. And you're only buying 3 models after the 2p starter box, right?

Longer answer:
Realistically, unless you're intentionally building toward a shredder-spam list (which eThags excels at), I'd say that you can probably drop down to 1-2 shredders. While they can be surprisingly deadly, Tenacity is why you bring them. pLylyth really plays well with Typhon's 3 sprays as well as things like the Nyss Striders, Nyss Deathstalkers or Nyss Raptors. Catch is, short of the Deathstalker, none of those units are cheap.

alchahest
Dec 28, 2004
Universal Solvent
on the other hand, I've never regretted having another 2 point transfer target / fury battery / pocket double boosted pow 10.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
I got WGDS and the Rifle Corps and pVlad for aboot 100 last night. I'm pretty stoked.

fenrif
Jan 12, 2010
A while ago I bought the Trollblood starter box and now they're my favorite faction. I've picked up a Dire troll plastic kit and magnetized it, and now I'm stuck wondering what to get next. Mulg looks amazing, but I'd rather get some infantry before I add more warbeasts. It looks like the krielstone bearer and stone scribes are a no-brainer, and I figured that the Champions look like a fun infantry unit. At the moment I'm considering this for a 25pt list:

Faction: Trollblood
Chief Madrak Ironhide (*6pts)
* Troll Axer (6pts)
* Dire Troll Bomber (10pts)
Krielstone Bearer and 5 Stone Scribes (4pts)
* Krielstone Stone Scribe Elder (1pts)
Trollkin Champions (Leader and 4 Grunts) (10pts)

Any thoughts?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Looks like a solid 25 point list to me, I'd go for it.

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

fenrif posted:

A while ago I bought the Trollblood starter box and now they're my favorite faction. I've picked up a Dire troll plastic kit and magnetized it, and now I'm stuck wondering what to get next. Mulg looks amazing, but I'd rather get some infantry before I add more warbeasts. It looks like the krielstone bearer and stone scribes are a no-brainer, and I figured that the Champions look like a fun infantry unit. At the moment I'm considering this for a 25pt list:

Faction: Trollblood
Chief Madrak Ironhide (*6pts)
* Troll Axer (6pts)
* Dire Troll Bomber (10pts)
Krielstone Bearer and 5 Stone Scribes (4pts)
* Krielstone Stone Scribe Elder (1pts)
Trollkin Champions (Leader and 4 Grunts) (10pts)

Any thoughts?

I would hold off on the Champions for now. They just got a very similar unit in the latest book that suggests they'll get a plastic kit & resculpt soon.

Fennblades are already in plastic, and would also take up that 10pt slot with the metal Unit Attachment. Depends on who else you want to run Warlock wise, I would say on average more casters prefer Fennblades over Champs.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Yah, can't see anything wrong with it. Everything works out really. The only thing you might want to change is the Axer to an Impaler to give Snipe to your Bomber and Madrak.

That one really is more of a personal preference though.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I was going to suggest switching the Axer for an Impaler, or changing the Bomber for a Mauler. Either way, your two beasts will have much more synergy with each other. That would free up one point. Traditionally trolls take a Swamp Gobber or Feralgeist to fill a point, but once the new Sorceror comes out I would go with him.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

Fyrbrand posted:

I was going to suggest switching the Axer for an Impaler, or changing the Bomber for a Mauler. Either way, your two beasts will have much more synergy with each other. That would free up one point. Traditionally trolls take a Swamp Gobber or Feralgeist to fill a point, but once the new Sorceror comes out I would go with him.

I second the Sorcerer addition. A line of Def 14 Arm 20, immune to continuous effects weapon masters that can just shrug off my debuffs marching down on me is just terrifying.

They are more of a second line unit though so your next upgrade should be Fennblades/Kriel Warriors and Skaldi Bonehammer.

fenrif
Jan 12, 2010
Thanks for the tips everyone! I'll play around with the Axer/Impaler and Bomber/Mauler combos to see what works best. I'm thinking of going for Kegslayer for my next warcaster. A decision I'm basing entirely on how cool the guy is. I only wish there were more drunken revelry themed guys in the faction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003
I'm the gay younger brother of UnkleBoB and Buddha Stalin
So on the subject of pretty good deals. I've collected a bunch of Ret over a couple of years. A nice gent at my FLGS was starting Ret and had a whole bunch of Cryx he was not interested in.
I had:
Faction: Retribution of Scyrah
Casters: 2/2
Adeptis Rahn Shyeel (*6pts)
* Phoenix (10pts)
Kaelyssa, Night's Whisper (*7pts)
* Aspis (4pts)
Dawnguard Invictors (Leader and 9 Grunts) (10pts)
* Dawnguard Invictor Officer & Standard (2pts)
Dawnguard Sentinels (Leader and 9 Grunts) (9pts)
* Dawnguard Sentinel Officer & Standard (2pts)
Heavy Rifle Team (Leader and Grunts) (2pts)
Stormfall Archers (Leader and 3 Grunts) (5pts)
Arcanist (1pts)
Arcanist (1pts)
House Shyeel Artificer (3pts)
Mage Hunter Assassin (2pts)
Mage Hunter Assassin (2pts)
Narn, Mage Hunter of Ios (3pts)
Nayl (2pts)

I traded this (and $150) for:

I'm not 100% sure what everything there is, as I know nearly nothing about Cryx. But I feel like I got one hell of a deal. I'd appreciate any thoughts on that matter. Or any thoughts on the potential armies I can make out of these little monstrosities.

• Locked thread