Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Picked up a SV650 for a chick friend like three years ago. I put the last miles it has seen back in 2010... now it's time to fix it and sell it for her.
Gas tank is fuckin nasty. Drained it and refilled it.
Throttle linkage was stuck, unstucked that poo poo with some lithium grease.
Rear brake needed a bleed.
New battery.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Apr 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Looks like a refreshing post work beverage.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

:barf: wtf is that? I've cleaned out a lot of nasty tanks but have never seen stuff growing? on the cap.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

NitroSpazzz posted:

:barf: wtf is that? I've cleaned out a lot of nasty tanks but have never seen stuff growing? on the cap.

Looks like the stuff left over when rainwater dries. Was it left outside all that time? The chain looks ok from the pics.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I love apple juice!

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Snowdens Secret posted:

Looks like the stuff left over when rainwater dries. Was it left outside all that time? The chain looks ok from the pics.

Nope, kept it in my garage under a cover since it was ridden last.

Between that and all of the gas left over when I pulled the pump I am thinking that was the issue - off to get more gas.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Did you get the tank cleaned out?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Yup. Started right up and went for a quick ride. All is well, time to sell it. The PR2s still have the nipples on them. :lol: The bike has 99xx miles on it... ah well.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Apr 15, 2013

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
I'm looking for some guidance on unfucking a plastic gas tank that's been warped by ethanol.

Several weeks ago my Tuono was pissing gas everywhere after it's first spirited ride around Seattle. Finally had time to take the tank off and the seal around the fuel pump no longer seals. It's bad enough so where the hole where the fuel pump goes is visibly warped to the naked eye. I've been drying out the tank for several days now and looking for fixes to the problem which include:

Letting the tank dry out for several weeks seems to take some of the flex out. (doing this now)

Using quick release pins http://www.af1racing.com/store/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=1481 instead of bolts to hold down the tank. (reduces flex in the future, apparently)

Sanding the tank surface flat again (which leads to the problem happening again and sooner with there being less tank material and whatnot)

Building up the tank surface with epoxy and sanding flat (considering this, difficult to find a for sure non gas or ethanol soluable solution for this that will also have some flex, this seems like a good bet: http://www.amazon.com/West-Systems-Flex-Epoxy-Kit/dp/B001HBZ1GY/ref=sr_1_48?ie=UTF8&qid=1366055561&sr=8-48&keywords=west+system+epoxy

Using a fuel resistant gasket maker in addition to the rubber gasket included with the pump. I've been told this: http://www.amazon.com/Three-Bond-Liquid-Gasket-Ounces/dp/B0012TUVAW works well and is simmilar to Kawasakibond.

I know there are a few Ducati riders on this forum, maybe some who've had the same problem and could shed some light on the situation, or help from anyone would be appreciated.

Pictures if it helps:

The tank wall is much thinner than this picture would lead you to believe.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
A good aprilia dealership should be able to get that covered for you.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I really like Caswell tank epoxy sealer.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Mcqueen posted:

I know there are a few Ducati riders on this forum, maybe some who've had the same problem and could shed some light on the situation, or help from anyone would be appreciated.

I'm fairly certain that the Ducati answer is take it in, have them replace it under warranty.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

BlackMK4 posted:

Yup. Started right up and went for a quick ride. All is well, time to sell it. The PR2s still have the nipples on them. :lol: The bike has 99xx miles on it... ah well.

You don't happen to live anywhere near new orleans do you?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Fly and ride. You'll get to see Texas.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

clutchpuck posted:

I'm fairly certain that the Ducati answer is take it in, have them replace it under warranty.

I -think- the Aprilia response is the same, at least for a late model Tuono, in warranty period or not. It certainly doesn't hurt to see.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

nsaP posted:

Fly and ride. You'll get to see Texas.

True story. :woop:

ADINSX posted:

You don't happen to live anywhere near new orleans do you?

Arizona

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat

Z3n posted:

A good aprilia dealership should be able to get that covered for you.

The bike isn't under warranty nor does Aprilia - and I thought until very recently, Ducati - recognize fuel tank expansion from ethanol as a warranty issue. Moto International in Seattle is the only Ape dealer worth a poo poo around here and it didn't seem like they wanted/had to warranty it.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

You're going to have to push a bit and you might need to contact aprilia NA about it.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Still in rough stages, but made some progress on my half-fairing and mounting bracket.

Bracket:

Fairing. I split the fairing horizontally to angle the top up a bit and make it tall enough for the handlebars to clear. Here it is after reinforcing the expanded sides with some sheet aluminum and glassing over stuff. I'll sand it back into a better shape.

A new fairing warrants another seat. Or I am addicted to fiberglass and resin. Here is the new seat, so far. Pretty similar in shape to the last one, but this seat is slightly wider, and should allow me to install the tail-light differently (i.e., better).

More progress to come.

TheCoconutman
Sep 13, 2007
Who took the money from the house fund? the coconutman, Fuck the coconutman

Tamir Lenk posted:

More progress to come.

What brand of resin do you use?

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat

Z3n posted:

You're going to have to push a bit and you might need to contact aprilia NA about it.

Good idea, I don't know why I haven't emailed Ape NA yet.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

TheCoconutman posted:

What brand of resin do you use?

Just the Bondo/3M stuff at AutoZone/O'Reilly's. Went to a marine supply place once, but they seemed to carry only bigger volumes of the same brand. Can't be bothered to go to better sources for these materials because . . . :effort:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The best resins you can get are West Marine system, but they're quite expensive. Easy to order online though.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Mcqueen posted:

Good idea, I don't know why I haven't emailed Ape NA yet.

Call if you can, when I've had to deal with refunds or w/e I found it's a lot harder for them to ignore you or feed you bullshit if you call over emailing.

If they have an endless voicemail system just mash 0 for a while.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.

Mister Duck posted:

Put the speed triple throttle tube on my street triple. Wow. I know it's not any faster or anything but it just feels way more alive. The bike just shoots forward in 2nd and 3rd with really light input. I didn't find it too bad at all in traffic or at low speeds either. Best 15 bucks I have ever spent on a bike.

Is that 1/4'' turn, like the R6 throttle tube?

Cleaned the Ninja's rim tape & the general bike up. Applied a new helmet upon myself. Ready for spring commuting awesomeness.

the walkin dude fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Apr 17, 2013

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
drat, I've been wanting to paint my wheels black, and seeing that, I think I'll do it, and add some silver rim tape. Is that motorcycle specific rim tape or just some reflective 3M stuff?

Pokey Araya fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Apr 17, 2013

TheCoconutman
Sep 13, 2007
Who took the money from the house fund? the coconutman, Fuck the coconutman

Tamir Lenk posted:

Just the Bondo/3M stuff at AutoZone/O'Reilly's. Went to a marine supply place once, but they seemed to carry only bigger volumes of the same brand. Can't be bothered to go to better sources for these materials because . . . :effort:

Thats what I thought I've used it but found it a little difficult to work with.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

the walkin dude posted:

Cleaned the Ninja's rim tape & the general bike up. Applied a new helmet upon myself. Ready for spring commuting awesomeness.

Are you a giant or is that just perspective? It looks like if you lean forward your head will end up ahead of the bars!

Mister Duck
Oct 10, 2006
Fuck the goose

the walkin dude posted:

I think it is smaller than the R6 tube, so the reduction is smaller. I don't feel any issues with low speed or hitting bumps, so I am kind of liking the current range of motion. I never tried the R6 tube though, so I can't really compare outside of the numbers.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
I finally got the suspension for my R6 back from the shop, it ended up taking a few months because they had to design new fork caps to fit the cartridge kit on right side up forks. Penske rear, gp suspension cartridges up front. Can't wait to throw it on and get to the track.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

That thing is going to be the best sleeper.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.

Slavvy posted:

Are you a giant or is that just perspective? It looks like if you lean forward your head will end up ahead of the bars!

6'4''. I tower over SUVs on my bike. It's fun.

Pokey Araya posted:

drat, I've been wanting to paint my wheels black, and seeing that, I think I'll do it, and add some silver rim tape. Is that motorcycle specific rim tape or just some reflective 3M stuff?

It's motorcycle specific rim tape. :) Kawasaki green, of course.

the walkin dude fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Apr 17, 2013

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Z3n posted:

That thing is going to be the best sleeper.

I don't know if you can call a vehicle with such a gaudy paint job a sleeper. But its probably going to be one of the best suspended first gen R6s in existence. If only I sprung for the triple clicker.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

Replaced my mangled pilot jet and verified that I didn't gently caress up the timing when I put the head back on. Pinging fixed! Took it for a short rip around town but I didn't want to stay out long with an expired safety inspection. :ninja: I'll try to get it inspected Friday then the summer is mine!

Also, this experience taught me some stuff about carbs and I think next time I gently caress with it needlessly I will be able to fix what I break even faster.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Sorry for the lack of pictures but, I just bought a 96 CBR600 F3 today. It's loving immaculate. It wasn't even dusty for sitting for 10 years.
:krad: Yellow and purple paint job. Purple windscreen. 6500 miles. $1800
All it needs is a carb clean :D

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Those are the best colors.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Sorry for the lack of pictures but, I just bought a 96 CBR600 F3 today. It's loving immaculate. It wasn't even dusty for sitting for 10 years.
:krad: Yellow and purple paint job. Purple windscreen. 6500 miles. $1800
All it needs is a carb clean :D

Weren't you saving up for a VFR? Is this a flip?

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not
I don't think it really counts as "today," but I went on a 4,500km road trip this past couple of weeks. Sydney -> Canberra -> Melbourne -> 12 Apostles & back via mountain roads where possible. Highlights include crossing a mountain range at sunset to gorgeous scenery, then getting most of the way frozen on the way down. (I ended up wearing everything I had and making a balaclava out of - clean - underwear to keep my shivering half-way under control). Also, riding around the side of one mountain and watching the next one along catch fire. Big, grey fingers of smoke clawing down the hill. Yay for poor decision making.

Anyhoo: photos!

GPOY

Mt Hotham - SPLORT

Cabin in the woods

*Inspirational text goes here*

Blair Witchin'

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Weren't you saving up for a VFR? Is this a flip?

I bought a VFR, it's already in pieces. I've decided I need to use something other than drywall anchors and screws to hold my plastics on. The VFR also needs fork seals and I'm going to do a valve job while the plastics are getting sorted out. Also the PO botched a halo-ring headlight install (removal?); The headlight was glued back together improperly and is missing a couple mounting tabs. I'm trying to find a replacement.

The CBR was just too beautiful to pass up. The perils of perusing craigslist.

Z3n posted:

Those are the best colors.
Agreed. I will get pictures soon. I promise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

prukinski posted:

I don't think it really counts as "today," but I went on a 4,500km road trip this past couple of weeks. Sydney -> Canberra -> Melbourne -> 12 Apostles & back via mountain roads where possible. Highlights include crossing a mountain range at sunset to gorgeous scenery, then getting most of the way frozen on the way down. (I ended up wearing everything I had and making a balaclava out of - clean - underwear to keep my shivering half-way under control). Also, riding around the side of one mountain and watching the next one along catch fire. Big, grey fingers of smoke clawing down the hill. Yay for poor decision making.

Anyhoo: photos!

GPOY

Mt Hotham - SPLORT

Cabin in the woods

*Inspirational text goes here*

Blair Witchin'

Sounds like you had a blast! :) How's the vision r holding up?