Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
Facebook 6.0 on iPhone is terrible. The help function is totally useless; I had to hunt around articles online to find out how to get my feed to go to Most Recent, and I have to manually set it to that every time. And once I've done that, it shows all the noisy poo poo my friends are doing (adding friends, commenting on and liking photos, etc).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

skaboomizzy posted:

Facebook 6.0 on iPhone is terrible. The help function is totally useless; I had to hunt around articles online to find out how to get my feed to go to Most Recent, and I have to manually set it to that every time. And once I've done that, it shows all the noisy poo poo my friends are doing (adding friends, commenting on and liking photos, etc).

This isn't the app, it's Facebook.

If you don't want to see your friends' garbage, add them all to a list and set that list to only display status updates and photos. Otherwise you have to set that for each friend individually. You'll still get the dumb rear end photos that they share from other sites, but it's better than nothing.

I loving hate FB, but I'm kind of locked in because of how scattered my friends and family are. :(

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

EC posted:

I loving hate FB, but I'm kind of locked in because of how scattered my friends and family are. :(

It is possible to keep in touch without using a website. I know, because I've done it!

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

EC posted:

This isn't the app, it's Facebook.

If you don't want to see your friends' garbage, add them all to a list and set that list to only display status updates and photos. Otherwise you have to set that for each friend individually. You'll still get the dumb rear end photos that they share from other sites, but it's better than nothing.

In this case, it really IS the app. I have FB set-up as you described on my PC. If SA can remember what threads and messages I've read from device to device, there's no reason FB's app can't remember that I don't want to know which 482 memes my friends have decided to like today. It's even worse that there's apparently no way to fix this setting in the app (at least no way that I've found yet).

I'm probably much more annoyed by this than I should be, but it's rendered the FB app pretty much useless to me.

Edit: Deleted it from my iPhone, so I'll shut up about it now.

skaboomizzy fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Apr 17, 2013

Captain Matchbox
Sep 22, 2008

BOP THE STOATS
Yeah is there a way to revert back to the old FB app coz drat that face bubble is terrible.

People must have complained that their messages were getting ignored by so called 'friends' and now you have to physically put their face into a bin

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Captain Matchbox posted:

Yeah is there a way to revert back to the old FB app coz drat that face bubble is terrible.

Only option is if you have the .ipa file of an older version saved to a hard drive somewhere.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

xzzy posted:

It is possible to keep in touch without using a website. I know, because I've done it!

Yes I'm totally going to write letters to my cousins when I can open my phone and talk to them instantly.

skaboomizzy posted:

In this case, it really IS the app. I have FB set-up as you described on my PC. If SA can remember what threads and messages I've read from device to device, there's no reason FB's app can't remember that I don't want to know which 482 memes my friends have decided to like today. It's even worse that there's apparently no way to fix this setting in the app (at least no way that I've found yet).

I'm probably much more annoyed by this than I should be, but it's rendered the FB app pretty much useless to me.

Ah, that sucks. I haven't looked at it extensively, but it seemed like the app was respecting the settings I made on the website proper.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Captain Matchbox posted:

People must have complained that their messages were getting ignored by so called 'friends' and now you have to physically put their face into a bin

This Facebook Home thing feels like the beginning of the end to me. :tinfoil:

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

PaganGoatPants posted:

This Facebook Home thing feels like the beginning of the end to me. :tinfoil:

of... humanity? Or of Facebook?

I just hope Home isn't some huge success, and therefore Apple feels compelled to add it to iOS. Facebook should be constrained to its little app-ghetto where it belongs.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
There were a bunch of articles a few weeks ago about how facebook's younger users are now starting to view using facebook as a chore to be minimized where possible. The main factor being that it isn't a connection between you and your friends anymore; it is also a connection with your mom, your great-aunt, and all of your crazy racist uncles.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Hell, today I couldn't even get the website to load on my work computer. I would just get their title bar and the prompt to post. No news feed or ticker. And with the iOS app I would sometimes check my news feed and see only stuff from a few days ago. Facebook doesn't have their poo poo together at all, so I'm so glad Apple said no to the Home BS that's on Android now.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Facebook is laughably terrible at just about everything. "Home" is failing miserably, all the "cool kids" are off to snapchat, vine, twitter, tumblr, etc. and soon it will be a myspace-like graveyard of grandmas playing FarmVille and people using it just long enough to "like" some page to get a freebie, coupon, or sweepstakes entry.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Aside from some graphic tweaks I can barely notice any difference in the FB app.. I am definitely not a FB power user, though :shobon:

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Right now, I can't even access my news feed, the tracker, or even post an update (which I could before). I can't even load my PMs or my notifications from the website itself, but it knows I have them. This has been going on for about 4 hours now, since I got to work. But I can see this from my iOS app, including the bubble of the PM. They're botching up a lot of stuff lately, and the ads are really invasive.

EDIT: Actually, the bubble's alright. It takes you right to the chat without interrupting what you were looking at in the app. I'd wish I could type my replies with a drat sideways keyboard though.

IUG fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Apr 17, 2013

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

EC posted:

Yes I'm totally going to write letters to my cousins when I can open my phone and talk to them instantly.
It's almost as if you could do that with a phone without Facebook!

randyest posted:

Facebook is laughably terrible at just about everything. "Home" is failing miserably, all the "cool kids" are off to snapchat, vine, twitter, tumblr, etc. and soon it will be a myspace-like graveyard of grandmas playing FarmVille and people using it just long enough to "like" some page to get a freebie, coupon, or sweepstakes entry.
I've noticed that too with some people I work with. The older ones share stuff around on Facebook, younger ones are basically everywhere else, with seemingly a wider spread of services the younger they are.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Yeah Facebook is well on its way to being MySpace part 2. Everyone remembers why MySpace fell out of favor, particularly with younger users: it was flooded with older people, was riddled with ads, spam and scams, and more attractive services became available. This is exactly what's going on with Facebook now, and the reason Zuckerberg bought Instagram: he was scared of it, and for good reason. Unfortunately for him, he won't be able to buy all of the other services users are fleeing to. Most teens and early 20s people I know are really into Tumblr, Twitter and some mobile-only services.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

japtor posted:

It's almost as if you could do that with a phone without Facebook!

For all of its faults and general shittiness, FB really is the easiest way to stay in contact with friends, family, and acquaintances that you wouldn't normally keep up with.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

EC posted:

For all of its faults and general shittiness, FB really is the easiest way to stay in contact with friends, family, and acquaintances that you wouldn't normally keep up with.

Lately it has been the easiest way for Facebook to try and sell me ugly jackthread shoes.

Facebook is a piece that I only use because nobody has done it better, yet.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

bobfather posted:

Lately it has been the easiest way for Facebook to try and sell me ugly jackthread shoes.

It's also the easiest way to record everything you do on the internet into a database that is sold to anyone willing to pay. Every time you see a 'like' button on a webpage somewhere, Facebook recorded you loading that page.

Granted, you don't actually need a Facebook account for them to do this. Even people not signed in will get recorded and tucked away somewhere.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

xzzy posted:

It's also the easiest way to record everything you do on the internet into a database that is sold to anyone willing to pay. Every time you see a 'like' button on a webpage somewhere, Facebook recorded you loading that page.

Granted, you don't actually need a Facebook account for them to do this. Even people not signed in will get recorded and tucked away somewhere.

True as that may be, at the end of the day, how is this actually doing anything to me?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Just in case you've forgotten about it: Yes, PaperKarma is awesome.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Red posted:

Thanks! I've never seen this before but it looks like it could be great.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Diabolik900 posted:

Thanks! I've never seen this before but it looks like it could be great.

As long as you remember to tag your junk mail when you come home, it works like a charm.

Just remember to use the app before you throw stuff away.

let i hug
Dec 25, 2011

Hey, I was wondering if someone could give me a recommendation. Basically I've been having problems keeping on top of everything in my life recently, and I was wondering if there was a good app that would help me work on daily habits as well as my to-do lists etc that would be flexible enough for my varied work schedule. 3 days a week I'm on second shift from 3:00p-11:30p, then two days I'm on third shift from 11:00p-7:30a. The constant shifting is probably part of why I'm having problems managing my time, but it also makes it hard to find a good app to use because it seems most of those are oriented around doing something at the same time every day. Help me out?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Do the default calendar and reminders apps not do what you need it to do? Between those two apps, I don't ever have to remember anything.

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

@dcurban1: #FlyersTalk @28CGiroux and @Hartsy19 What do the C and A mean to you? We as fans expect more.Are you leaders or do you just make funny vids

@dcurban1: #flyerstalk @28CGiroux @Hartsy19 The A and the C are supposed to mean something. Leadership not stock quotes to reporters. Time to lead.

hypersleep posted:

Yeah Facebook is well on its way to being MySpace part 2. Everyone remembers why MySpace fell out of favor, particularly with younger users: it was flooded with older people, was riddled with ads, spam and scams, and more attractive services became available. This is exactly what's going on with Facebook now, and the reason Zuckerberg bought Instagram: he was scared of it, and for good reason. Unfortunately for him, he won't be able to buy all of the other services users are fleeing to. Most teens and early 20s people I know are really into Tumblr, Twitter and some mobile-only services.

Facebook is also locked into gaming claiming that 30% cut of all payments through the site. Their inability to develop a decent search program and stop fake profiles is crushing their future.

It will stick around but you can feel that people are shifting away from the site to smaller and better platforms.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Clothed N Famous posted:

Hey, I was wondering if someone could give me a recommendation. Basically I've been having problems keeping on top of everything in my life recently, and I was wondering if there was a good app that would help me work on daily habits as well as my to-do lists etc that would be flexible enough for my varied work schedule. 3 days a week I'm on second shift from 3:00p-11:30p, then two days I'm on third shift from 11:00p-7:30a. The constant shifting is probably part of why I'm having problems managing my time, but it also makes it hard to find a good app to use because it seems most of those are oriented around doing something at the same time every day. Help me out?

I use Lift for simple habit tracking and now Wunderlist 2 for my todo list.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
For the people having Facebook issues, they've updated with 6.0.1 which has "bug fixes", so that might fix your issues. I personally haven't noticed any problems, but I don't use FB chat all that often.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Do the default calendar and reminders apps not do what you need it to do? Between those two apps, I don't ever have to remember anything.

It'd be nice if it was one thing though. Or at least calendar items that are reminders and not only events

voltron
Nov 26, 2000
Zapf gave me this account because he's a friend of the Indian-American people.

echinopsis posted:

It'd be nice if it was one thing though. Or at least calendar items that are reminders and not only events

Do you mean like an alert?

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Eugh the fb chat mechanic is awful, especially on iPad. It's obvious they went for style over function. Good thing IMO is actually good.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Red posted:

I just came here to post this. I've been using it for a couple of months and my mailbox is nearly always empty now. loving impressive.

I still wonder how they make money.

e: it got me off my college's alumni money beggingmailing list

bort fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Apr 19, 2013

Red
Apr 15, 2003

bort posted:

I just came here to post this. I've been using it for a couple of months and my mailbox is nearly always empty now. loving impressive.

The best part is, PaperKarma emails you updates of whether or not they were successful (yet) in stopping the junk mail.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

bort posted:

My pet theory about how they make money. They are sharing information with the companies that you aren't interested in their services and products. This as it turns out is valuable because they can instead spend advertising dollars where customers actually have an interest in their products. For instance, I'll be using this but I won't be taking photos of the adorama or B&H catalogs I get for free in the mail, because I'm a photographer and I like to sit down and browse through a wish book from time to time. But DirectTV? Yeah, that's going to be the first envelope I actually take a photo of.

Plus they normally charge for their iOS app, which I'm sure brings in a little bit of money.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
This calendar app is free today: http://www.goo.do/

No idea if it's any good.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

voltron posted:

Do you mean like an alert?

No. The reminders app is ugly and it's also senseless that it's seperate from the calendar app. Let's say I need to pay a bill by a particular date. Reminders "works" but I don't want to have to look at two apps to see things that need to get done. So what I'd typically do is add a calendar event "pay phone bill" and yeah that kinds works too, but it gets set to a length of an hour and is less than ideal.

Calvetica (when I used it) tried having both reminders and events on the calendar, which it did, but you still had to switch between reminder calendar and event calender. Once again, two things to view for 1 set of information

The only thing that pulled it off how I wanted it was my old non-smart nokia. On it's calendar you could add events, memo, note, reminder and depending on which one it allowed different things, but they all stayed on the same view

Currently I've surrended to societies expectation that "to-do"s and calendars are completely separate and use wunderlist + fantastical but I'd still love to see both functions in one app so I only have to go to one app to see the things that are coming up in my life

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
*TAKE A DEEP BREATH ECHINOPSIS*

voltron
Nov 26, 2000
Zapf gave me this account because he's a friend of the Indian-American people.

echinopsis posted:

No. The reminders app is ugly and it's also senseless that it's seperate from the calendar app. Let's say I need to pay a bill by a particular date. Reminders "works" but I don't want to have to look at two apps to see things that need to get done. So what I'd typically do is add a calendar event "pay phone bill" and yeah that kinds works too, but it gets set to a length of an hour and is less than ideal.

Calvetica (when I used it) tried having both reminders and events on the calendar, which it did, but you still had to switch between reminder calendar and event calender. Once again, two things to view for 1 set of information

The only thing that pulled it off how I wanted it was my old non-smart nokia. On it's calendar you could add events, memo, note, reminder and depending on which one it allowed different things, but they all stayed on the same view

Currently I've surrended to societies expectation that "to-do"s and calendars are completely separate and use wunderlist + fantastical but I'd still love to see both functions in one app so I only have to go to one app to see the things that are coming up in my life

The calendar app has alerts that you can even set from the google calendar website.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Hmm I'm not really interested in google calendar but are you talking about the built in calendar app? I can't see what you're talking about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

echinopsis posted:

Maybe try out 2Do. Not completely sure it'll be what you're looking for, but from my use over the last however many months/years, it seems like it'd work for you. On the other hand it might be overkill for all I know :iiam:. I was about to say it didn't have a calendar month view, but apparently there's a button for that in landscape I forgot about.

• Locked thread