Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

You really don't need augments and aside from the Blaze Dogs (who are just kinda lovely design), everything there doesn't require super-augment setups, it just requires using something besides Attack or Flare. Every 'unbalanced' enemy is balanced around using spells or abilities that can neuter their offensive measures. It's a matter of learning your enemy weaknesses and exploiting them, which is about the most interesting thing you can do with enemy encounters in a system like FF4's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Cavauro posted:

The most famous person with that name to the average adult male in the U.S. is arguably Cecil (Seh-Sil) Fielder.

American filmmaker Cecil B. DeMille was also a "Sehsil", and he's up there on the list of well-known people with the name. But I've heard him called "Seesil", and I said "Seesil" in FF4 when I was a kid. :(

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...
I said, "See-sil," as a kid, but I also thought mosquito was pronounced, "mos-quat-o," until I actually heard it spoken, so there's that.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
The most prominent Cecil (pronounced the correct way, Seh-sil) I can think of was Sideshow Bob's brother.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

CaptainRat posted:

I said, "See-sil," as a kid, but I also thought mosquito was pronounced, "mos-quat-o," until I actually heard it spoken, so there's that.

I used to say See-sil as a kid...also Masamune was "masa-moon" and chocobo was "chock-o-boo." Ah, the follies of youth. :smith:

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I only acknowledge "that" sword as the MASMUNE :colbert:

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Child me called it the mass-a-myoon. And See-sill, but adult me thinks the official pronunciation is better.

I think Valvalis is a better name for a wind fiend than Barbariccia though.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Vanderdeath posted:

I used to say See-sil as a kid...also Masamune was "masa-moon" and chocobo was "chock-o-boo." Ah, the follies of youth. :smith:

Sooo... how do you pronounce Masamune?

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Epi Lepi posted:

Sooo... how do you pronounce Masamune?

Mah-sah-moo-neh

In Japanese all vowels sound the same every time.
A = ah
I = ee
U = oo
E = eh
O = oh

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Mass moon

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Zombies' Downfall posted:

American filmmaker Cecil B. DeMille was also a "Sehsil", and he's up there on the list of well-known people with the name. But I've heard him called "Seesil", and I said "Seesil" in FF4 when I was a kid. :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JKbDcYpC0M

See-sul. :colbert:

Miracon
Jan 1, 2010

Vanderdeath posted:

When I was young, I pronounced Chocobo as Choboco. (if you don't see it at first, look for the b) I pronounced it that way for every NES, SNES, and PSX FF game, all the way until FFX when I heard it pronounced by a voice actor for the first time. What boggles my mind more than that though is that all of my close friends and family were pronouncing it as Choboco, and not one of us noticed how it was spelled. With as much time as one friend and I spent raising and racing Chocobos in FFVII, you'd think we'd have caught it sooner.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
So, Nomura came out recently and said we'd get some new Versus info soon. Same old, same old. What I really want to know is why there's no fanart of that image of Noctis sitting down but replacing him with his rotten corpse.

gredgie
Dec 9, 2012

Is there any in this rout
with authority to treat with me?
"Tee-dus or Tie-dus?" was my eternal pondering through FFX.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

gredgie posted:

Kingdom Hearts Wakka pronounces it "Tee-dus" but I don't consider that game canon so I usually pronounce it "Jecht's gay son"

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

Kingdom Hearts Wakka pronounces it "Tee-dus" but I don't consider that game canon so I usually pronounce it "Jecht's gay son"
I don't get it, what makes you think Tidus is gay? :confused:

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Endorph posted:

Wakka did seem awfully friendly with him as soon as they met...

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Krad posted:

Wakka did seem awfully friendly with him as soon as they met...
That's Wakka, though.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

gredgie posted:

Kingdom Hearts Wakka says Teed as FCS said but I'm pretty sure someone else in KH2 says Tide.

I always figured it was meant to be Tide-us because of the game's water motif and stuff but obviously that wasn't what the creators were going for.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

Endorph posted:

His flamboyant outfit, his pretty hair, he emotes a lot...a protagonist should be manlier, like Rock Hudson.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I am an idiot.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Apr 17, 2013

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
To be fair, I would love Rock Hudson's Final Fantasy.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

Endorph posted:

Oh, so you're homophobic and tied up in really hosed up views of masculinity, good to know.

:ssh:

http://homohistory.blogspot.ca/2013/01/rock-hudson-gay-icon.html

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Box of Bunnies posted:

Kingdom Hearts Wakka says Teed as FCS said but I'm pretty sure someone else in KH2 says Tide.

I always figured it was meant to be Tide-us because of the game's water motif and stuff but obviously that wasn't what the creators were going for.

I don't have access to youtube right now, but in the old tv commercials for the game, they call him tee-dus.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Oh. I should probably learn to use google, huh. Sorry man, I've just had this conversation with every third person I've ever talked to about Final Fantasy.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Endorph posted:

Oh, so you're homophobic and tied up in really hosed up views of masculinity, good to know.

Well. That and also the scene, in International, where he tells Auron that he likes Yuna like as a person but is not actually physically attracted to her, and then the two gently kiss under the moon.

The fact that the two of them are dead means more than you think, metaforensically.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Well. That and also the scene, in International, where he tells Auron that he likes Yuna like as a person but is not actually physically attracted to her, and then the two gently kiss under the moon.

The fact that the two of them are dead means more than you think, metaforensically.
poo poo, the writers of international cribbed from my fanfic!

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

gredgie posted:

His JP name is pronounced tee-da.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Krad posted:

I don't have access to youtube right now, but in the old tv commercials for the game, they call him tee-dus.

So they do.

Dunno what ads aired here in Australia, but I didn't play the game until 2004/5ish anyway so I'dve missed them all the same.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

His flamboyant outfit, his pretty hair, he emotes a lot...a protagonist should be manlier, like Rock Hudson.

In Japan for some reason the gay stereotype is big buff men. Like, apparently Zangief to Japan is like having a guy with a lisp to the US.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

In Japan for some reason the gay stereotype is big buff men. Like, apparently Zangief to Japan is like having a guy with a lisp to the US.

That was the stereotype in the west up until about the 70s too. The nancy boy stereotype is much more recent.

Lesbians being butch is also pretty new too.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Krad posted:

So, Nomura came out recently and said we'd get some new Versus info soon. Same old, same old. What I really want to know is why there's no fanart of that image of Noctis sitting down but replacing him with his rotten corpse.

O ye, of little faith:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Pesky Splinter posted:

O ye, of little faith:

Now I want a Conan the Barbarian moment of raiding Noctis's tomb for his weapon.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
So do we talk about the fact that Bravely Default is definitely getting localized for Europe and NA here or somewhere else?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dross posted:

It's suppsoed to be Tee. Despite looking like Tide, that wasn't intentional, "Tida" and "Yuna" are supposed to mean Sun and Moon. (Which is why Tidus' upgrade item is the Sun item and Yuna's is the Moon.)

It's continuing the cycle of set by Cloud/Aerith (Which was intended to read and sound like the English word "Earth") and Squall/Laguna/Raine and later the entire cast of FFXIII to have straightforward symbolic names.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

ImpAtom posted:

It's suppsoed to be Tee. Despite looking like Tide, that wasn't intentional, "Tida" and "Yuna" are supposed to mean Sun and Moon. (Which is why Tidus' upgrade item is the Sun item and Yuna's is the Moon.)

It's continuing the cycle of set by Cloud/Aerith (Which was intended to read and sound like the English word "Earth") and Squall/Laguna/Raine and later the entire cast of FFXIII to have straightforward symbolic names.

I always said it Tie- cause it just looks like Titus but with a D instead of a T.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Pesky Splinter posted:

O ye, of little faith:

This is all I ever wanted. :allears:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Dross posted:

Oh, for a second I was like, "... Sure, why the gently caress not, I don't see why you couldn't just Tidus 'J.P.'"

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?

Pureauthor posted:

So do we talk about the fact that Bravely Default is definitely getting localized for Europe and NA here or somewhere else?

We've been talking about it in here occasionally. No release until 2014 though, that's like Google Play store rough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Winks posted:

We've been talking about it in here occasionally. No release until 2014 though, that's like Google Play store rough.

Europe will have it later this year actually.