Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
Ouch man, sorry that happened to you. That must have been a terrible feeling. I'd imagine it's kind of like hitting a false neutral going into a corner. You expect the bike to do something and all of a sudden OH poo poo there's no response. Glad you're okay though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

You seemed pretty fast to me. Sucks about your engine though.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
What was the deal with the cones and the guy riding right through them at about 2:00 or so?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Snowdens Secret posted:

What was the deal with the cones and the guy riding right through them at about 2:00 or so?

Chicane to slow people down on the front straight and it gives a little bit of a speed differential decrease for people on pit-out. Guy that rode through them was probably really new to trackdays and maybe saw me rolling up on him quick - no idea.

Looks like a spun rod bearing for me, engine shopping in a couple of weeks when I can afford it. Hoping to make the next trackday on 3/17.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

drat looks like that engine is toast from the posts in what did you do today, sucks but hopefully you can find a new engine cheap-ish. Did it give any signs it was going to go before it popped?

On the CRF I felt a hiccup? a couple second before it went so I knew something was going on and it was enough time for me to throw out a leg/arm to let the guys behind me back off because something was up.

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004
I didn't like the others, they were all too flat.

KodiakRS posted:

:( At least it chose to die without attempting to kill you too. This isn't the first time I've heard of a 675 motor letting go when pushed hard. If this was some sort of standard or cruiser I would understand, but it's designed to be ridden WOT at high RPM and boy racer rapid fire downshifting. There's a new Daytona for this year right? Sounds like a reason to upgrade.
And it's not just the motor that lets go. My street triple's been plagues with failures of peripheral parts since I started tracking it. Regulator/Rectifier, oil cooler, and cooling fan have all failed so far. It's enough to put me off Triumphs next time I buy a bike.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

So I was out at a buddy's shop earlier just hanging out. In the other room they were dynoing a bike, and all of a sudden we heard this ungodly terrifying sound. Ran over to check out what was going on and yep, bike blew up on the dyno. Yep, it was a 675. That's enough convincing for me to stay away from those bikes.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Mr. Eric Praline posted:

And it's not just the motor that lets go. My street triple's been plagues with failures of peripheral parts since I started tracking it. Regulator/Rectifier, oil cooler, and cooling fan have all failed so far. It's enough to put me off Triumphs next time I buy a bike.

I love the drat bike. It better be problem free after this new engine.... I just had the R/R recall done on it last week. Heres to the oil cooler not blowing up...
I always felt like the bike was kinda slow and down on power or something but it would pull stock 600s like a freight train and will stay with a liter bike until they start making a ton of power.
And the way the bike handles... poo poo, I am spoiled now.

-Inu- posted:

So I was out at a buddy's shop earlier just hanging out. In the other room they were dynoing a bike, and all of a sudden we heard this ungodly terrifying sound. Ran over to check out what was going on and yep, bike blew up on the dyno. Yep, it was a 675. That's enough convincing for me to stay away from those bikes.

Hahahahaha. Perfect.

NitroSpazzz posted:

drat looks like that engine is toast from the posts in what did you do today, sucks but hopefully you can find a new engine cheap-ish. Did it give any signs it was going to go before it popped?

On the CRF I felt a hiccup? a couple second before it went so I knew something was going on and it was enough time for me to throw out a leg/arm to let the guys behind me back off because something was up.

Yup, I'd known for a month that the motor was on its way out. I have a video of the entire last session and you can visibly see it losing power over the last two minutes of its life. Honestly, I wasn't really surprised that it went. I wasn't even upset. Sucks to miss out on track time, especially picking up time lap by lap but at least I didn't wad the fucker.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Feb 23, 2013

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

-Inu- posted:

I hate to bring this up - but are you in Georgia? A friend of my friend's boyfriend is in Ft. Benning and he just lost his motor on the dyno... that'd be weird.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

Yup. Baby blue 675?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Yup. Any details on it?

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

The funny part is that the tuning on the bike was actually already finished. They were just mentally running the bike through a track to try to see if there were any places to squeeze out a little extra horsepower, then boom she went. The consensus was that it probably threw a rod, but no one pulled the motor open to see. At the end of the day it's probably a good thing that it happened on the dyno though, since otherwise it would have just grenaded itself on the track (:v:).

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
Didn't a bunch of people on this forum all buy 675's in the last year? I bet they're feeling all warm and fuzzy about that right now.

This review of the 2013 Daytona by the late Kevin Ash has some good news in it though:

Kevin Ash posted:

Other changes include improved oil cooling jets aimed at the undersides of the pistons, higher-rated main bearings, larger big end bearings and an integrated aluminium oil cooler at the front of the engine. The lower crankcase now has oil scrapers to lift oil from the crank webs, reducing oil drag, and baffling to prevent surge in severe braking, both ideas coming from Triumph's race experience with the Daytona.

Something tells me he likes it.

Kevin Ash posted:

But never mind the category, the Daytona 675R is simply the most satisfying, exhilarating track bike you can buy this side of a BMW HP4, and it's a much more sane proposition on the roads.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Hello thread I've never posted in! Cross posting from one of the Chat megathreads, because maybe this belongs more here than there.

I've been thinking of maybe buying a beater ~600 and heading to a nearby track (for the first time!). Are there CA-approved ~600s for new track riders that easy to find, have availability of parts, are easy to work on, won't totally break the bank, etc?

Also, for a first time track rider, is a 250 a better option for the first season? My first bike was a GS500, and my current ride is a DL650. I'm not looking for anything bigger, and in fact I think I might like the idea of "riding a slow bike fast" (riding the piss out of a 250 sounds appealing).

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Whats your budget? Location? Skill level? How many track days are you going to do yearly?

I guess you do say first time track rider.

I'd say SV650 or possibly Ninja 650. SV650 is the ideal 'starter' track bike. Right amount of power, ability, mod-ability, availability to hit all the check boxes for a budget friendly track bike to learn to go fast on. I did two years on one. Snagged a killer deal, did almost zero maintenance to it while I had it, only tires and oil and gas. I put a GSXR front end on it for year two and some better brakes and was able to routinely hunt down B group pace 1000's and go from track day slow guy to 'wouldn't be totally out of place on the 650 racing grid'.

F2 or older 600's can also be good choices.

FlerpNerpin fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Mar 20, 2013

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Spiffness posted:

Whats your budget? Location? Skill level? How many track days are you going to do yearly?

Budget: I'd say around 3k, maybe a little higher, but I'm in a situation where I don't know what I don't know. Maybe 3k is ridiculous.
Skill level: Never been to the track, been riding for almost a couple years, done about 15,000 kms.

I don't know how much a track day costs, or if I'd even like it (I'll probably love it), so it's hard to say how many days per year. If it's ballpark around $200 a day, then maybe once or twice a month is feasible. Again, I haven't yet done the research on how much stuff costs.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

You can look up your local track day providers to get an idea of what it will cost. Around here its right around $200 a day. Between $160 and $200 USD per day, basically.

$3k is actually a decent budget for a starter track bike. Ideally you want to find out what your local track/racing community is, and watch there for someone selling a track prepped bike already. A already prepped bike is the way to go because it'll be safety rules compliant, have track plastics and often come with lots of goodies/spares. I got a retarded deal on my SV, and paid $1600 for basically everything you could ever want on a perfect condition bike, but deals similar are not few and far between in the 'world' of track days/racing.

With $3k I think you should have no trouble getting into a well sorted 1st or 2nd Gen SV w/ spares. Though being Canadian, there are factors I'm not familiar with.

If you have any specific questions, PM me and we can shoot the poo poo over some flavor of instant messaging.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Buy a drat SV, not a 600.

$200 is cheap for a trackday when you add in gas to get to the track, trailer rental, gas on the track (figure a full tank in 80mi and you'll probably go through two or three tanks in a trackday), tires, crash damage, personal damage, etc.

I used to ride to the track and tape it up once I got there - after this past incident I don't think that'll happen again. Get ready for the addiction and the need to race afterwards, it's all downhill from here. :D

https://www.weraclassifieds.com

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Spiffness posted:

If you have any specific questions, PM me and we can shoot the poo poo over some flavor of instant messaging

Thanks!

BlackMK4 posted:

Buy a drat SV, not a 600.

I really enjoy the VStroms vtwin, and I believe the SV uses the same motor. So part of me wants an SV for more vtwin love, but part of me is curious about the so-called I4 pants-making GBS threads rocket booster effect when you get above 6k rpm. (Didn't curiosity kill the cat?)

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001
I am not an expert or even I would consider particularly experienced track rider (maybe 15 track days over the past couple years), and don't want to pretend to be but since I was in a similar position to you not that long ago this is what I would suggest..

Consider taking your DL650 out on the track for the first time out. I don't think you'd be out of place in novice group - you don't NEED a sportsbike to ride in novice. You will get better lap times through learning the basics - racing line, throttle control and braking etc, not how good your tires are or how much horsepower you have. That took me a while to learn and I used to be a lot more concerned about my equipment than I am now.

Then if you decide you like riding track I'd suggest a street SV650 or a used track/race bike. The track/race bike can be an sv too or a 600. Stay with one of the big 4 and you will have much better luck getting cheap used parts if you break something and if you need something on a track day someone there can probably help you. You can easily pick up a slightly beat but still good 600 with spare (probably rashed) bodywork, and a bunch of stuff like sprockets for 3k. Take a look at the WERA/CMRA/Whatever forums for deals near you.

I strongly suggest that if you get a stock street SV650 think about replacing the rear shock with something that doesn't suck sweaty monkey balls before you go to the track on it. Forks too but for me the rear shock changed the bike from a wallowing turd in the corners to something much more awesome.

There is a variety of ZX6R and ZX10R shocks you can swap in for < $100 on ebay/forums.
If you decided to do the forks the first step is new springs and heavier oil to get it set up for your weight. This should run about 100$ and there is guides for this online which are detailed step by step and make the process very easy. Next step up for forks is intiminators/gold valves, followed by total front end replacement using GSXR parts. Depends on your budget.
The particular shock I bought required cutting the battery box and a shorter battery but there is others which are a direct drop in replacement I believe or require minimal trimming at least.
That would give you a solid platform.

SV650 is an awesome bike and I miss mine. If you have tighter/slower tracks its great. If you have huge wide open high speed tracks maybe consider a 600 it will probably be less frustrating passing people, but learning to pass on an SV is very rewarding.

taketheshot
Sep 18, 2002
I signed up to do the 2-day California Superbike School (Level I and II) at Streets of Willow in June. Borrowing one of their S1000RR's of course. As I live in Maryland, is anyone familiar with the Rosamund, CA area near the track? It's looking like the best place to stay is probably in Lancaster?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

taketheshot posted:

I signed up to do the 2-day California Superbike School (Level I and II) at Streets of Willow in June. Borrowing one of their S1000RR's of course. As I live in Maryland, is anyone familiar with the Rosamund, CA area near the track? It's looking like the best place to stay is probably in Lancaster?

welcome to dirt town. Either or, Lancaster may be cheaper though.

ReformedNiceGuy
Feb 12, 2008
Do any UK track types post here? I quite fancy having a go later in the year at Cadwell with these guys.

http://www.clubmsv.com/bike-home/

Would signing myself up for a place in the novice group with my stock SV be a terrible idea?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Any recommended tuners in Arizona or SoCal that deal with Triumphs often? I just emailed Evan Steel at ESP (Aaron Yates S1000RR) in Tucson since I met him at a trackday but other than that I can't think of anyone off the top of my head. The other two main Triumph tuners I can think of - Tripp at Tripp Performance (Alabama) and JD at HordPower (Ohio) are far as gently caress.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Mar 22, 2013

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
You can ask on TriumphRAT or triumph675.net or just search for an existing tuner request thread, they pop up fairly often. If you want to use TuneECU instead of a Power Commander (which generally you do, TuneECU is cheaper and better) finding a shop is a pain in the rear end.

E: you probably already did that but whatev

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Dunno if they just do parts or if they're a tuning shop as well , but British customs is here in LA

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

It's goddamn amazing how much rear tires deform under load.

Spiffness posted:

If you have any specific questions, PM me and we can shoot the poo poo over some flavor of instant messaging.

So glad someone else is carrying the torch these days. :v:

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
awesome photo

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

I can't afford to actually ride a bike these days but I did get a chance to hang out at the track a couple weekends ago. Buddy of mine was trying Q2's for the first time and got a little bored control riding the novice group :v:

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003
haha nice. i remember one time instructing novice group we were going so slow, my bike started to overheat. at the time i didn't have a fan on it, since then i've put one on a switch

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?

Veritas posted:

haha nice. i remember one time instructing novice group we were going so slow, my bike started to overheat. at the time i didn't have a fan on it, since then i've put one on a switch

Whens the next MSRH trackday? If it's any time that's not motogp in austin I'll be there, just need to buy some cheapo leathers first.

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003

invision posted:

Whens the next MSRH trackday? If it's any time that's not motogp in austin I'll be there, just need to buy some cheapo leathers first.

sunday april 7th.

if any other people from here wanna come play at MSRH, just let me know.

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003
MSR-Houston

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
Looks like a blast. Between that and COTA you guys sure have some nice looking tracks out there in TX.

Kind of off topic but...

Black, are you known as RR on SWR? If so, where did everyone off that site go. It was really busy when I moved to IL but when I moved back a year later it's a ghost town.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Yup, that's me. The old owner of the site didn't want to keep paying for hosting and the domain name so we lost the .com and it's .net now. I think in that transition we lost a bunch of people... none of the AZ communities are busy at all though.

The track orgs are all split now - xcel does AMP, revolution does Inde, AZTrackday piggiebacks off of the groups that run Chuckwalla, ASMA at Arroyo Seco (cheap as gently caress), and we lost Firebird. I was at XCEL@AMP in February and saw people I knew from my first TD back in 2008(?) which was kinda cool.

You still doing trackdays here?

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Mar 29, 2013

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
I've decided that it's time to get back in the saddle and on the track again.:waycool: I haven't tracked a streetbike since I was about 19, so it's been about 7 years. I'm not looking to start this year. I have to build some funds, pick up the gear and a dedicated track bike. I'm planning to pick up a 600 SS beater as a trackbike, I'm not very picky but I'm leaning towards a GSXR or an R6. They seem very common and parts are easy to get.

My time line and goals are this:
This year:
#1 Cut some weight - I'm around 230 lbs and I'd like to get down to about 170
#2 Get some more general seat time - I've been riding a good bit less to save some cash I'm aiming to put about 20k miles on my bike this year.
#3 Buy a bike - Around fall I should have enough money set aside to start looking for a bike, I'll be trolling BARF and all the local CL's. What do I need to have for a bike that won't ever touch the street?
#4 Do any repairs or prep work to the bike I pick up - Some of this will depend on #1 as I want to get the bike set up for my weight properly.

IF I can get my weight down I'll order a set of leathers. Once I've got the bike set up and the proper safety gear I plan on doing some track days.

My eventual goal is to start racing, it's what I was working towards before I moved out to CA.

This is the first track toy I'll actually "own". My family "owned" all the bikes I used before this.

Any advice or recommendations?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
That all seems solid. Buy an early model R6 / gsxr with spares, theyre available towards the end of the race season for 1500-2k, typically. Check the afm and wera classifieds as well.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Registered for Arizona Motorsports Park on 4/14. Hopefully round two goes smoother than the first.

edit: Also, it's posts like this - http://bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=427439 - that make me want to sell the 675 off and save myself money in the short term...

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Apr 7, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

I rode at Thill this weekend. My weird-rear end underpowered MZ Skorpion did great. It's been two years since I've been at the track and I'm markedly better this time around. Much more comfortable, much more willing to experiment, and much more vision taking in visual cues and landmarks. Also, the first time I've ever been on a motorcycle and felt like "I need more powah."

• Locked thread