Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

I'm not sure, but as I'm using brass rod for the barrels, I can just try and see what works.
Measuring is apparently hard, the new body does not fit on the rest of the contemptor, I totally screwed up both arm and hip joints :doh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie
Such is the path to progress. If any other kind goons have measurements for Contemptor dread autocannon arms that would be pretty cool.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Do you have measurements of the contemptor power fists? I need to build something for that too.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
Huh. It looks like the quality of Shapeways has improved quite a bit. Last time I modeled/ordered something from them there were pretty sharp limits on how find the detail could be and the pieces I got had a rough, sandpaper-like finish, nothing at all like the torso piece you designed there.

Maybe I should take the opportunity to model a few smaller Tau Crisis Suit heads and some Markerlight Drone kits.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie
Nope, the pair I got had regular dreadnought arms grafted on to them. It was pretty horrific, but they were cheap and I figured I could rehab them pretty well. I just haven't messed with them in a while but your stuff got me all excited.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
That's really neat, what modelling program did you use/what do you all recommend for 3D modelling? I did a bit of AutoCAD in high school but I haven't done anything of the sort since.

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Apr 16, 2013

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
Google Sketchup works pretty nicely for hard, geometric objects. I made a bunch of stuff in there for Shapeways. I tend to use that and Maya for most of my stuff.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

I used max, but I think I'm going to switch to Blender. What I did is all really basic stuff, so there's no need to get into :filez:
TSR: This is the "frosted ultra detail" material.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

HardCoil posted:

Gentlemen, we live in the goodamn future!
This is awesome and makes me want to scout out 3d printing companies in my area. Except this:

quote:

The ammo chutes I'm planning on doing greenstuff molds for, so I can shape the belts as I want them.
Next time just make a negative. It certainly looks detailed enough.

VVV: Ah, I was wondering how they charge for it.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Apr 16, 2013

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

That's a really good idea, but you pay pr. cubic centimeter of the stuff, and I think a mold type thing would get prohibitively expensive. I guess you don't have to make it solid, just a shell or a plane that you embed into something else once you get it.

I'll give it a shot, it calculates cost on the fly :)

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

The 3D modeling stuff is pretty incredible, but it turns out I am terrible at it. At least the programs I have tried to use. I did some stuff with parametric modeling stuff in school, and trying to use the non-parametric programs just messes me up. I end up getting frustrated and ragequitting projects. So I'm sticking to the old methods for now.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
I just wanted to update my whine from last night - I had emailed Ben Pope, who runs the company that makes the Paintier, and he emailed me back with some helpful hints to assembling the paint rack and even offered to talk me through it on the phone tonight after he was done work if I still couldn't figure things out. As it turns out his email advice was good enough to penetrate the clouds of my dumbness and get the rack assembled.

Can't say enough about how impressed I am with that kind of customer service.

Of course now I have to somehow explain to my wife how it is that the brand new paint rack I bought is already full. Without copping to having too much paint, of course.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

evenworse username posted:

Of course now I have to somehow explain to my wife how it is that the brand new paint rack I bought is already full. Without copping to having too much paint, of course.

I have actually been considering getting a second one.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Under 15 posted:

Like two-brush blending, or whatever it is? Can I do that with white, or should I find a lighter purple?
Either directly on the model via wet/two brush blending or on a palette where you transfer the paint afterward in thin layers (like JoshTheStampede said).

Mixed white will work as a highlight, but think of it this way- the more white you mix into a color the closer it will approach white. This might be desirable or it might not depending on want to do with your model. A warm white, cool white, light grey, green grey, or light green will highlight your green with different results. It’s up to you to play around and see what you like.

LumberingTroll posted:

Update on my Terran Alliance fleet.

I’m still convinced that some Chris Foss style stripes would look amazing on the yellow- a couple black or white stripes would really make it pop.

Purgey
Nov 5, 2008

BULBASAUR posted:

I’m still convinced that some Chris Foss style stripes would look amazing on the yellow- a couple black or white stripes would really make it pop.

As a former Homeworld player, I agree! But I also admit his ships currently have a kind of brutalist asthetic which would be ruined by striping.

Playful ideas: (which totally ruin the overall look of your ships as stark naval vessels)

The one on the right looks like its on loan from Imperial Taiidan. Originality was never my strong suit

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid

Purgey posted:

Thanks, fellas. Like I said, I painted him to see if my friend would like to have me help him paint his stuff. I hope he approves

So, apparently, I have corrupted my little cousin in to collecting warhammer stuff at the innocent old age of 12. He asked me if I could give him ideas on how to paint his orks, so I came up with a step by step process. I didn't want it to be super complicated so I settled on a really long image format. What do you guys think?

I hate to see this post go un-commented. You are an awesome cousin.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
Crossposting from the 40k thread. Ork Battlewagon!

Getting more comfortable with my airbrush. I used the salt technique with this one, and learned a few things in the process (wait a few hours goddamn).

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer

Purgey posted:

Thanks, fellas. Like I said, I painted him to see if my friend would like to have me help him paint his stuff. I hope he approves

So, apparently, I have corrupted my little cousin in to collecting warhammer stuff at the innocent old age of 12. He asked me if I could give him ideas on how to paint his orks, so I came up with a step by step process. I didn't want it to be super complicated so I settled on a really long image format. What do you guys think?

As someone just starting the hobby, I love the step-by-step guides like this, because I'm used to following guides and the like (maybe it all goes back to Lego).

On a related topic, I've got a box of some Chaos Forsaken and I'm wondering how to paint a creamy-coloured skin like the ones they have on the box. Does anyone have any paint suggestions for how to achieve this? Also if anyone has any ideas or links for making really bloody and gross looking appendages, I'm looking to turn about half of the Forsaken into creatures from "The Thing" and need some ideas :flame:

If only I had some plastic dogs to work with...

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Question for some of you guys. I'm looking to add some wintery-withered trees onto some of my models bases as part of an artic mountainous forest scheme. What the christ could I use for these? They're 28mm PP minis, I was thinking maybe sticks and twigs, dried out for that scale?

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Weirdo posted:

As someone just starting the hobby, I love the step-by-step guides like this, because I'm used to following guides and the like (maybe it all goes back to Lego).

On a related topic, I've got a box of some Chaos Forsaken and I'm wondering how to paint a creamy-coloured skin like the ones they have on the box. Does anyone have any paint suggestions for how to achieve this? Also if anyone has any ideas or links for making really bloody and gross looking appendages, I'm looking to turn about half of the Forsaken into creatures from "The Thing" and need some ideas :flame:

If only I had some plastic dogs to work with...

Grey-toned violet skin, violet+brown shadows, a little cream/bone mixed with the flesh color for highlights. Reaper's Dark Elf Skin triad shaded with Devlan Mud or Agrax Earthshade would probably give you similar results.

edit: or not, the unit all together looks way more purple than the individual models. Try a grey-toned cream color (Reaper Aged Bone) for the basecoat, instead of grey-toned violet.

Silhouette fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Apr 17, 2013

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

JoshTheStampede posted:

I have actually been considering getting a second one.

See this is perfect. Now I can go with "Well you know, most people have two."

Turtle Dad 420
Jul 16, 2011

Turtle Time Erryday
Here's what I've been working on recently:

Some Tau dudebros because I've never painted anything 40k before and with the new release I decided it was time to get some robotanimes.

And started a Marauders of Chaos warband for Mordheim. Fatboy is the Chieftain, the other two are champions. I painted the one on the right forever ago, and tried to match the armor color, but the left one came out a bit dark, but whatever, it's Nurgle!

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer

Silhouette posted:

Grey-toned violet skin, violet+brown shadows, a little cream/bone mixed with the flesh color for highlights. Reaper's Dark Elf Skin triad shaded with Devlan Mud or Agrax Earthshade would probably give you similar results.

edit: or not, the unit all together looks way more purple than the individual models. Try a grey-toned cream color (Reaper Aged Bone) for the basecoat, instead of grey-toned violet.

Thanks! I'll give it a try.

Purgey
Nov 5, 2008

Slimnoid posted:

Getting more comfortable with my airbrush. I used the salt technique with this one, and learned a few things in the process (wait a few hours goddamn).

How is this not quoted yet? Fantastic work, nice and dirty without overpowering the natural blue colors of the vehicle. Also sweet skull on the front! :D

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out

Flipswitch posted:

Question for some of you guys. I'm looking to add some wintery-withered trees onto some of my models bases as part of an artic mountainous forest scheme. What the christ could I use for these? They're 28mm PP minis, I was thinking maybe sticks and twigs, dried out for that scale?

Yeah the best thing for tiny trees is tiny bits of trees. Just go shuffle around the base of a tree and pick up a collection of sticks. Also look for different types of moss - they can be used to make amazing looking foliage, ivy, etc. Just put them all on a paper towel and put that on a radiator.

Limp Wristed Limey
Sep 7, 2010

by Lowtax

Slimnoid posted:

Thats some pretty drat sweet looking Ork gubbins. I am still trying to get to grips with my airbrush.

Just a WIP shot. The pose should look better when he has his arms on there but this is the first time I have put effort into a base. The paint needs tidying up as well but he should be finished in the next couple of days.

Zhent
Oct 18, 2011

The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time.

Slimnoid posted:

This is awesome. Do you have a link to a guide or anything about the salt technique? I'm having a bear of a time weathering my tanks with a piece of sponge, it's just not looking correct.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Zhent posted:

This is awesome. Do you have a link to a guide or anything about the salt technique? I'm having a bear of a time weathering my tanks with a piece of sponge, it's just not looking correct.

http://massivevoodoo.blogspot.com/2011/02/tutorial-weathering-with-salt.html This was the tutorial I used. Now mind, I didn't have any hair spray, so I just applied water and sprinkled the sand on. It does the trick well enough, just be sure not to add a lot of water to it; damp an old brush and brush the water on. Also, when removing the salt, don't use too much warm water, as I had the problem of some paint coming off that I didn't want to.

As for sponge weathering, the trick I've found is to be very light with it. Apply in layers, and turn the sponge a different direction each time so it isn't so uniform. Two layers ought to do the trick.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

I see you magnetized the arms on the broadside. How well does changing the missile and rail gun work on the new kit? Im afraid the positioning will work weird for the other style gun. What I mean is, if I have it leaning back and turned for the rail gun position, will it looks bad if I switch it out for the missiles?

Limp Wristed Limey
Sep 7, 2010

by Lowtax

Khorne Flakes posted:

I see you magnetized the arms on the broadside. How well does changing the missile and rail gun work on the new kit? Im afraid the positioning will work weird for the other style gun. What I mean is, if I have it leaning back and turned for the rail gun position, will it looks bad if I switch it out for the missiles?

It depends what the arm elevation is. I have primarily posed it for the gun but the missiles work as well

I still dont like the pose but whats done is done.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Is your camo simply:

1)Light Base coat
2)Blue tac
3)Darker Second coat
4)Done

Limp Wristed Limey
Sep 7, 2010

by Lowtax

Indolent Bastard posted:

Is your camo simply:

1)Light Base coat
2)Blue tac
3)Darker Second coat
4)Done

Even simpler,

1) Primer
2) Blue Tac
3) Darker Colour
4) Done

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Are you going to shade it or just keep it as is?

Limp Wristed Limey
Sep 7, 2010

by Lowtax
As is, cant be bothered to do the shading.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Limp Wristed Limey posted:

Looks great to be honest.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

Limp Wristed Limey posted:

Try an oil wash. If you hate it, it comes off easy enough.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Sole.Sushi posted:

Try an oil wash. If you hate it, it comes off easy enough.

I know there are probably dozens, but is a best yet concise tutorial for oil washing?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Its super easy. Get an oil paint, put it on a pallet, and water it down with white spirit. Then brush it on with a synthetic brush. Wait for it to dry and then use either a brush, sponge, or qtip with white spirit to take it off from the raised surfaces you don't want it on. When you’re done seal with some type of varnish (acrylic paints have a hard time going over oil based ones).

Here’s a pretty good video. It also explains pin washes.

Purgey posted:

As a former Homeworld player, I agree! But I also admit his ships currently have a kind of brutalist asthetic which would be ruined by striping.

Playful ideas: (which totally ruin the overall look of your ships as stark naval vessels)

Now that’s what I’m talking about! I really dig it. Especially the one on the right with all the non-symmetric lines. It certainly isn’t the utilitarian space ship look, but hey, space is black anyway so you might as well paint things crazy colors. Weathered and stifled down with an oil wash it could look really ace. Obviously do what you want :)

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
Hey guys what's the best place to order the Minitaure paint? I'm in the US. Everywhere I look it's outta stock!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

crime fighting hog posted:

Hey guys what's the best place to order the Minitaure paint? I'm in the US. Everywhere I look it's outta stock!

The video I posted yesterday has the owner of Badger saying that they're ramping up production with extra machines, they were caught out by the demand but all suppliers are getting their orders, but if you order now it might be a few weeks before you get your paint. To be honest it's good (in my limited experience) but not necessarily better than thinning down your normal paint. The Ghost Tints are really cool, definitely order the set of those, but the main advantage of the regular line is that they are just ready to spray right out of the airbrush.

• Locked thread