Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

Verviticus posted:

well jopo hasnt picked yet and im off i think so i'll be around tomorrow to make the pick and stuff

Same here. Should be on within 12 hours of now, though I'm sure it'll take a bit longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jopo
Jan 29, 2007

Kovalev out 6-8 months with lazy bones

The Edmonton Oilers are excited to select Brent Seabrook. Of all the remaining players available, he was certainly one of them.

Cap hit: 5.8 Million
Signed until: 2015/2016

Seabrook is excellent defensively, provides a physical presence and consistently produces 35+ points from the backend.

Team so far:
Couture
Letang
Seabrook

Rene Rancourt
Mar 26, 2007

Was my contract good for you, too?
There goes my first choice

Chairman Wao
Mar 5, 2013

go star

eXXon posted:

It's "what have you done for me lately" syndrome. Kind of like Eberle, except Skinner had a phenomenal rookie season followed by 1.5 seasons of declining production, a serious concussion and an NTC on his long term deal. He's also a winger and not a C.

Well someone sited hockeydb as a source for position, and it along with numerous other sites have him listed as a center. Someone earlier took Benn as a winger, and he's a center, so y'know.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
Brent Seabrook was the guy I should have picked over Cam Fowler.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Seabrook is a good pick, I was considering him but I felt liked I needed some more offense to go with Backstrom.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Who is on the clock?

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

i am not so sure posted:

Who is on the clock?

Verviticus. Isn't he on the west coast? Might be a little early over there.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
Seabrook was gonna anchor my 2nd pairing. Curse you.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Chairman Wao posted:

Well someone sited hockeydb as a source for position, and it along with numerous other sites have him listed as a center. Someone earlier took Benn as a winger, and he's a center, so y'know.

Well I mean, you can play him wherever you want. But part of this is us saying hey your team might suck cause Skinner is better on the wing than in the middle.

e: Verviticus is up, and yeah it's only 8:40 am PST. Give the man some time he said he'd be back to make the pick today.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

T-Bone posted:

Well I mean, you can play him wherever you want. But part of this is us saying hey your team might suck cause Skinner is better on the wing than in the middle.

e: Verviticus is up, and yeah it's only 8:40 am PST. Give the man some time he said he'd be back to make the pick today.

All I asked was who had next pick.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Seabrook was my top choice right now, looks like I'll need to dig a bit deeper. Wondering if I can count on some other guys to fall another ~60 picks so I can pick them up after this round.

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Mighty, mighty eagle soaring free
Defender of our homes and liberty
Bravery, humility, and honesty...
Mighty, mighty eagle, rescue me!
Dinosaur Gum

T-Bone posted:

I'm pretty sure Verviticus would want us to pick Dan Cloutier for him.

mozza
Sep 11, 2005

In Alfie We Trust
I assume we're allowed to pick whoever we want position-wise, and even dress an all-centre forward group if we choose? It's not like fantasy hockey where you're locked into a listed position. But people will judge your team if players are not being used to their strengths.

I had Skinner #4 on my available centres list. Yes he's primarily been a wing in Carolina, first it was to load up a top line, maybe give him easier defensive responsibilities [edit]. But he could, with some grooming and injury luck be a first line centre on many teams - Florida, Winnipeg, Buffalo, maybe Phoenix etc. I don't think it's a bad move to place him at centre and he could easily outscore guys picked before him like Richards and Krejci, though he's absolutely less useful defensively/physically.

mozza fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Apr 17, 2013

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

i am not so sure posted:

All I asked was who had next pick.

Slavedriver.

e: Quick question for later in the draft. We are allowed to sign players playing in the CHL but signed to entry level contracts, correct?

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
Mozza, has that player been picked? May want to edit your post...

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Habibi posted:

Mozza, has that player been picked? May want to edit your post...

No, he's been picked. I thought about Skinner but his big contract kind of had me thinking about other wingers first before settling with Carter because goals are fun.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Austrian mook posted:

No, he's been picked. I thought about Skinner but his big contract kind of had me thinking about other wingers first before settling with Carter because goals are fun.

Skinner isn't the player he's referring to in that post.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Austrian mook posted:

I'm not talking about Skinner or Carter, and I just double checked the spreadsheet and that player has not yet been picked. Mozza... :argh:

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Habibi posted:

I'm not talking about Skinner or Carter, and I just double checked the spreadsheet and that player has not yet been picked. Mozza... :argh:

Oh god I know who you mean :supaburn: aaaaaaaah oh god change it change it!!!

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
with the 88th pick im taking Ryan O'Reilly

A: almost as good as ryan kesler at everything but is paid the same amount. bleh
B: uh, tried to screw over the avs by going to the flames which would have also screwed the flames. cool

in conclusion, ryan o'reilly is a person of many talents, and many things

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Apr 17, 2013

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Alright let's go, who's up next?

Pretty good pick, he's not playing that good this year but it's clear he doesn't want to be in Colorado.

mozza
Sep 11, 2005

In Alfie We Trust

Habibi posted:

Hahaha God drat, I'm sorry. I edited it out, hopefully that doesn't mess with anyone's plans. I also edited out the sentence because leaving just a blank name makes it pretty clear who I was talking about. I'm legitimately sorry.

I need a CIA redactor to double-check my posts. :(

mozza fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Apr 17, 2013

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

mozza posted:

Hahaha God drat, I'm sorry. I edited it out, hopefully that doesn't mess with anyone's plans. I also edited out the sentence because leaving just a blank name makes it pretty clear who I was talking about. I'm legitimately sorry.

I need a CIA redactor to double-check my posts. :(

I'd take a ton of guys over him right now, don't think anyone had plans to grab him.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

The New York Rangers are proud to select, as the 89th pick in this draft, Andrew Ladd.

Wait, you mean we already drafted him in the first round? What's Uncle Glen smoking?

Oh, in that case, one moment, let me go back to the table.

The Tor- I mean, New York Rangers would like to select Colton OoohHHH NO YOU DON'T!!!

*elbows*

Don't try that again, Burkie!

The New York Rangers are proud to select, with the 89th pick in this draft, Roberto Luongo.

Imagine how much happier this handsome man will look in a jersey that isn't uglier than his game three performance. Sorry Bobby Lu, couldn't resist that one. Signed for a gazillion dollars until the end of time, Roberto is still an elite goaltender with many years left as a true number one starter. With both intangibles, such as being a former team captain, and tangibles, such as tweets, he's a top notch player who is a dream for a team that has no problem taking care of big contracts by any means in the world of a $70m+ cap.

Thank you, and farewell, until next round.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I... I don't think I understand the true nature of that post.... Either way, Lou is maybe the best tender still available but his contract would have scared me away. Gotta get bargain players!

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
^^^ his cap hit is 5.3m. thats less than jimmy howard. luongo will be a better goaltender for cheaper for every single year of howards contract

lu is both in the top 5 tenders in the league and has a loving amazing contract for this exercise

unfortunately nobody will want to rate your team as having good goaltending because "being a top 5 goaltender" and "having people perceive you as a top 5 goaltender" seem to be exclusive for poor lu

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Verviticus posted:

^^^ his cap hit is 5.3m. thats less than jimmy howard. luongo will be a better goaltender for cheaper for every single year of howards contract

lu is both in the top 5 tenders in the league and has a loving amazing contract for this exercise

unfortunately nobody will want to rate your team as having good goaltending because "being a top 5 goaltender" and "having people perceive you as a top 5 goaltender" seem to be exclusive for poor lu

Well poo poo. I thought his cap hit was closer to 7... Huh. That's loving dumb, like really dumb. Why do people loathe the concept of him coming to their team?

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

because in literally ten years they might have a less than average goaltender for a couple years at a cap hit reserved for third liners (in 2022)

no, seriously

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Verviticus posted:

because in literally ten years they might have a less than average goaltender for a couple years at a cap hit reserved for third liners (in 2022)

no, seriously

He'd be making less than a lot of players not as good as louongo(on the cap) but he'd do nothing for Toronto (they might actually make it out of the first round)

Austrian mook fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Apr 17, 2013

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Not talking about undrafted players is apparently hard to remember. I doubt that guy is on anyone's immediate radar, but still.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

canuckanese posted:

Not talking about undrafted players is apparently hard to remember. I doubt that guy is on anyone's immediate radar, but still.

Wow jeez and we just went over this with Mozza Christ. gently caress me

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Lu is a great loving goaltender. He gives you a chance to win every single night. His contract is fine for the next several years. People are nuts.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Well that's the 10th goalie to go, I'm expecting a few more to get snapped up before the end of the fourth.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY?
I considered Luongo actually with my Howard pick but decided to take a chance on a dude with a shorter contract.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Verviticus posted:

with the 88th pick im taking Ryan O'Reilly

I wonder if this was the mystery center T-Bone wanted. I hope so!

Jordan7hm posted:

Lu is a great loving goaltender. He gives you a chance to win every single night. His contract is fine for the next several years. People are nuts.

His contract is fine for the next several years, now if only it lasted for the next several years.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Verviticus posted:

no, seriously

poo poo, just use your compliance buyout on him after the next lockout

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
Luongo also has a funny Twitter. That's worth an extra million by itself.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

eXXon posted:

I wonder if this was the mystery center T-Bone wanted. I hope so!

His contract is fine for the next several years, now if only it lasted for the next several years.

it will be mildly inefficient when he's 38 and bad when he's 41. teams waste more money on jody shelley than they'll waste on him when his contract value goes south

if you wanted to pick jody shelley :getout:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Verviticus posted:

it will be mildly inefficient when he's 38 and bad when he's 41. teams waste more money on jody shelley than they'll waste on him when his contract value goes south

if you wanted to pick jody shelley :getout:

With how well old geezer goalies are playing now, it might not even be bad then. Goalies age better than defensemen or forwards.

• Locked thread