Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Alchenar posted:

Looks like I'll be getting the next Vicky 2 bundle that goes on sale.

Speak of the devil, it all goes on sale to make the complete game a nice round £20. That's definitely the way to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

podcat posted:

Nah, dominions wont affect it. it will probably even help. Are you trying to build lots of factories early as sweden or something? When I ran a full sweden game last week I had no problems at all, but I waited a while before I started up any industry. The ecnomy is tighter now so if you are just going for military tech or such that can explain it. Getting industry techs is vitally important as well as techs that boost RGO output and mining. When you build factories check input goods and try and build them in places where you produce those inputs and things will get an efficiency bonus. Also, for a smooth economy make sure you subsidize factories until they are running fine. Trying to do early laissez-faire makes things a lot harder, so wait with that.

btw, dont keep your stockpile investment slider on max, its a huge chunk of money you have to invest which can be tough if you are building lots and have no buffer money, half-way is safer.

This is true. The game starts out with there being a shortage of many critical goods so that there's room for an expanded market for your efficiency-improved goods as the game progresses rather than starting out with everything being available in plenty so your vastly-improved farming and industry lead to a glut in production and mass unemployment in the midgame. The early years are going to be tough for everyone.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
I'm playing as Sweden right now and had the same problem but solved it by focusing on industrial and economical technologies early on. Get stuff that improves RGO output, tax income and administrative effectivity. And stay the hell away from Landtsmannapartiet

Star fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Apr 17, 2013

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

Does anyone know why Texas would be receiving zero immigrants after the revolution now? this is putting a huge cramp in my style

also why would the USA back Mexico in a crisis over the rest of Texas when Texas is in USA's sphere and has 200 relations and is an ally?

I'm having a pretty bad first experience with this expansion so far.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
It certainly needs alot of tuning.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Danimo posted:

Does anyone know why Texas would be receiving zero immigrants after the revolution now? this is putting a huge cramp in my style

also why would the USA back Mexico in a crisis over the rest of Texas when Texas is in USA's sphere and has 200 relations and is an ally?

The part about backing is because of a math error that I've fixed, so that should be corrected whenever a patch comes out. Also why you'll see Russia backing the Ottomans a lot.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Industrializing via conquest is pretty funny as Japan. Just invade and release one Asian nation after the other (to keep infamy down and prevent your administrative efficiency/literacy going to poo poo). I went from zero to westernized in less than 5 years.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Industrializing via conquest is pretty funny as Japan. Just invade and release one Asian nation after the other (to keep infamy down and prevent your administrative efficiency/literacy going to poo poo). I went from zero to westernized in less than 5 years.

Yeah, but this strategy really only works for countries that start off with some reforms before game start and, for 1836, that's just Japan, Persia, and Egypt, and Egypt is a total pain in the rear end to play as. With the other uncivs there's still a waiting game involved to reform to the point where you benefit from conquests, which, for example, means that Afghanistan might want to wait a bit to claim its cores from Bukhara and Punjab.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Wiz posted:

The part about backing is because of a math error that I've fixed, so that should be corrected whenever a patch comes out. Also why you'll see Russia backing the Ottomans a lot.

Any plans to tweak the number of tension points your NF adds? As Poland I can't build a single point on my Russian-held provinces because they are the 3rd or 4th Great Power, which more than cancels out what my NF adds. Is there anything I can do to boost my tension gain, or can I just not boost tensions in the top 4 GPs?

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine

Danimo posted:

Someone time traveled to the past about how terrible Texas would be for the US. :twisted:

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

DrProsek posted:

Any plans to tweak the number of tension points your NF adds? As Poland I can't build a single point on my Russian-held provinces because they are the 3rd or 4th Great Power, which more than cancels out what my NF adds. Is there anything I can do to boost my tension gain, or can I just not boost tensions in the top 4 GPs?

That's podcat's department so I'll let him answer that, but AFAIK it's part of the design that starting crisis in the top GPs should be very hard.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Any tips on general interface/efficiency side of things? What's the best way to keep my admin efficiency near 100% without going over? I keep their spending at 50% and use my focus to grow them where needed, as I'm worried if I keep their spending too high my country will end up with twice as many of them as I need, doing nothing.

Same with clergy, what is the optimal percentage? I wish we could just set a target percentage and then set the funding slider to "auto" to keep the balance where we want, topping it up with our NF when needed.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
Sigh. Portugal is still releasing Goa as India even though I disabled India as a releasable vassal. Also, does Jan Mayen disable crises or something? I haven't seen a single one. I've only actually seen the AI justify wars once or twice, half the time huge wars are beginning and ending and I only know about it because of the newspaper. Even something huge, like a war between Prussia and Austria, is over almost as soon as it started.

DrProsek posted:

Tension gains and losses are in defines.lua.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Baronjutter posted:

Any tips on general interface/efficiency side of things? What's the best way to keep my admin efficiency near 100% without going over? I keep their spending at 50% and use my focus to grow them where needed, as I'm worried if I keep their spending too high my country will end up with twice as many of them as I need, doing nothing.

Same with clergy, what is the optimal percentage? I wish we could just set a target percentage and then set the funding slider to "auto" to keep the balance where we want, topping it up with our NF when needed.

For clergy, it depends on what you're trying to do with them. If your literacy is low, you'll want to shoot for 4% clergy, as that'll give you the most optimal literacy gain. If your literacy is okay, you'll want to shoot for 2% clergy. At 2%, clergymen will give you their maximum research point benefit (above 2% they don't give you anything in terms of research points).

Unfortunately you'll have to keep an eye on it, but it should never really be an issue of the game naturally drifting towards "more" clergy. Over time you'll actually lose clergy as they're promoted to clerks.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

DrProsek posted:

Speaking of which, how do you play as Poland? I tried to fire up a game as Krakow but I wasn't able to do anything with them since I couldn't release myself without ending the game. Do you have to start as a GP and release some territory first?

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
If anyone (like me) was looking for a tutorial AAR/LP to help get themselves acquainted with Victoria 2's rather byzantine complexity, I found one on the Paradox forums. It's for AHD, so it is a little bit dated, but it does get you through the basics very well!

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

Danimo posted:

I'm having the same issue with Texas, I have played up to 1868 and haven't gotten any immigrants at all.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

You don't have to worry about getting too many bureaucrats, because the code for other POPs promoting to bureaucrats already has what you're talking about in it, although it's not quite as clear. You have to delve a little into the code itself to figure it out. The more bureaucrats you have in a state, the less likely other POPs are to become bureaucrats. This is countered by literacy, admin spending, and the number of social reforms you've passed, which all increase the rate at which other POPs become bureaucrats. The system will eventually reach an equilibrium point based on these factors. At 100% admin spending, other POPs get +20% higher chance of becoming bureaucrats, and at 1% bureaucrats in the state, they get a -20% lower chance, so it cancels out and 1% is the equilibrium point. Literacy is also a factor, so if say you have 60% literacy (+10% promote to bureaucrats chance) you can set your admin spending to 50% (+10% promote to bureaucrats chance) and you'll still get the same equilibrium point. Of course, if you're below equilibrium, you'll want to set a national focus and increase admin spending to speed it up until you get to your target.

Same deal with clergy, although it's always a good idea to have education spending maxed out, since that's what determines literacy gain. The optimal percentage for RPs is 2%, and for literacy gain is 4%. Beyond that, clergy will also reduce consciousness in other POPs, which is handy in dictatorships/absolute monarchies.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Apr 17, 2013

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So you're saying I can just set admin spending to 100% and forget about it and all my states will auto-promote over time to 100% tax efficiency but not really go over? Or I should spend at 50% ?

What I'm doing now is spending at 50% hoping that's the no-growth state and using focus while watching the % like a hawk. The moment it gets to 100% I pause the game and move the focus.

I just worry if my education or admin spending is too high I'll come back to some province that's 50% clergy and 50% bureaucrats and maybe 2 farmers.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

What I'm saying is you don't have to worry about bureaucrats growing out of control. At 60% literacy and 50% spending with no social reforms passed, the equilibrium point will be 1%. Having less than 1% bureaucrats will make them naturally grow, and having more will make them shrink. If you're far below the target equilibrium, you should max out admin spending and set a focus until you reach the target.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

And once all my states are up to 100% just keep it at 100% spending and forget about it?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

No, once you've reached the target equilibrium for all your states, you can reduce spending to the equilibrium level, which is based on your literacy. Also I was wrong about the values in my previous post, so disregard that. Basically, if you have lower than 80% literacy, admin spending should always be at 100% to maintain equilibrium. For 80%-99% literacy, you can scale it back to 90% admin spending, and at 100% literacy you can scale it back to 80% admin spending.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

nutranurse posted:

If anyone (like me) was looking for a tutorial AAR/LP to help get themselves acquainted with Victoria 2's rather byzantine complexity, I found one on the Paradox forums. It's for AHD, so it is a little bit dated, but it does get you through the basics very well!
Huge thanks -- since I don't understand the game I have no idea if this guy's advice is correct but just glancing at it, this is exactly the kind of explanation of the basic concepts and interface I needed. Long as it's not grossly inacccurate this might be worth linking in the OP since it gets requested every page, at least until someone does a goon aHoD tutorial.

Paradox guys this got me curious about your philosophies toward tutorials and such. The complexity of your games is a lot of what makes them great and no one wants to see them dumbed down, but it's also a big barrier to entry. Personally I bought EU3 (not-)Complete blind but would've never really touched it -- or given you money again -- until I found Kersch's LP. That's what sold me on Divine Wind; same goes for CK2 and all its expansions. Even if the above helps me with V2, it'll be much easier to talk myself into buying aHoD once there's a similar guide for it. This kind of learning resource genuinely does drive sales, and I wonder if you might benefit from actually putting some in-house resources into that kind of thing.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Wiz posted:

That's podcat's department so I'll let him answer that, but AFAIK it's part of the design that starting crisis in the top GPs should be very hard.

Ah, okie dokie then! Yeah kinda sucks I'd have to wait until Russia basically collapses before I can generate tension, but I see the reasoning.

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

Tension gains and losses are in defines.lua.

You can also define a different value for how much tension NFs give in /common/nationalfocus.txt. I bumped it to .6 and now I get slow tension gain against all but the biggest nations. I'll have to see how badly this borks things but so far it seems okay other than me being able to generate crisis with almost any nation.

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Speaking of which, how do you play as Poland? I tried to fire up a game as Krakow but I wasn't able to do anything with them since I couldn't release myself without ending the game. Do you have to start as a GP and release some territory first?

Play as Austria, release Krakow, justify and invade them, or use the console "changeowner AUS 703" and then release the Kingdom of Poland.

Also something I do think really needs addressing. This is affecting my enjoyment of HoD:

(notice the government type and the name of the nation. Also I am kidding, I just find this funny)

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The real Dead Souls starts here.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Fister Roboto posted:

The real Dead Souls starts here.

:allears: This is the greatest.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

DrProsek posted:

Also something I do think really needs addressing. This is affecting my enjoyment of HoD:

(notice the government type and the name of the nation. Also I am kidding, I just find this funny)

This isn't really notable? Countries lie about themselves in their name all the time. The Democratic People's Republic of Korea is none of those four things!

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
So they probably shouldn't have put "Britain annexes Bhopal" as one of the generic news flavor events. Also, newsworthiness definitely needs to weight by rank. At least half of all news is about German OPMs.

I might take a gander at NNM and see what can be ported over. First thing's first, though: remove the ridiculous colonial overreaching that is vanilla USA. Most of that poo poo should still be in the process of colonization since it was mostly just forts and mission stations and maybe a dozen mountain men in an entire state.

DrProsek posted:

You can also define a different value for how much tension NFs give in /common/nationalfocus.txt. I bumped it to .6 and now I get slow tension gain against all but the biggest nations. I'll have to see how badly this borks things but so far it seems okay other than me being able to generate crisis with almost any nation.
Just took a look and needing to own a core to increase tension is part of the limit. It's trivially easy to extend this to, say, a core owned by anyone in your sphere. This could let a nation and its GP backer sabrerattle and push the flashpoint.

*edit*
Except gently caress Vicky 2's scripting language because you can't target the core of a sphered nation because there's no way to say any_country = { is_core = ??? }

Wolfgang Pauli fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Apr 17, 2013

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
How do you release generic dominions? I like the feature, want to mess around with it.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Pinterest Mom posted:

This isn't really notable? Countries lie about themselves in their name all the time. The Democratic People's Republic of Korea is none of those four things!

There's a "Democratic People's Republic" dominion in there too :)

Basically I figured Abs Mon was a good generic starting point, and even republican governments could be assumed to leave some kind of governor in charge of their dominions.

Sky Shadowing posted:

How do you release generic dominions? I like the feature, want to mess around with it.

Have colonies in an area with no other cores and you can do it via politics -> release nation.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

For some reason Columbia of all countries managed to grab BC before the US or England could. The US managed to grab the BC interior while columbia grabbed the bulk of the coast and vancouver island. So it's Columbian British Columbia.... I can't wait for it to be released as something unweildy like the Democratic Republic of Columbian British Columbia neighboring the Free State of American British Columbia. Shouldn't BC only be BRITISH columbia if it's colonized by england? Otherwise maybe American Columbia? Or .... Columbian Columbia? Or I don't know this is insane!

Also Alchenar I love your av/title combo. Is the quote from both of your titles actually 100% real and was typed at some point by someone in total seriousness on the paradox forums?

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Apr 17, 2013

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
The Columbian Republic of Columbian Columbia. :colbert:

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
I think I figured out a way to allow nations to sabrerattle if a core belongs to their satellite or sphere.
code:
		limit = {
			OR = {
				is_core = THIS
				any_core = {
					OR = {
						overlord = THIS
						sphere_owner = THIS
					}
				}
			}
			#THIS = {
			#	is_greater_power = no
			#}
		}
I'm pretty sure AND doesn't work in this file, mind, so GPs being able to do this is either all or nothing. I'm not done tinkering yet so I haven't actually tested this.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

How difficult is Victoria 2 to play? I recall being instantly and immediately overwhelmed when I tried to play Arsenal of Democracy, but similarly I can play EU3 and Crusader Kings 2 fine? I ask because Victoria 2's UI looks alot more complex (about as complex as AoD basically).

Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009

Wiz posted:

The tooltip might be a misleading, it basically refers to any wargoals added as a way to bribe the GPs. I will be toning down its effects a bit though.

I have this issue as well (if I'm understanding and I'm not quite sure I understand your response. The issue is when no extra wargoals have been added by bribery the malus still appears. Is there anything else that causes it other than added wargoals or is it just a bug?

Edit:

WMain00 posted:

How difficult is Victoria 2 to play? I recall being instantly and immediately overwhelmed when I tried to play Arsenal of Democracy, but similarly I can play EU3 and Crusader Kings 2 fine? I ask because Victoria 2's UI looks alot more complex (about as complex as AoD basically).
I'm pretty new to it and to be honest It's kind of a mixed bag that way. It's pretty complex, but the good news is that the economy can run (to some degree, obviously if you know what you are doing you could do much better) without much input and that is the really complex stuff. You can do OK just paying attention to the big picture as long as you don't play really weak countries for the most part, however occasionaly your economy will tank and you will have no idea why. I'm gradually sort of learning what's going on with the economy but I'm still pretty much just sacrificing communist rebel stacks to the gods of capitalism at this point and hoping for the best.

Shorter Than Some fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Apr 17, 2013

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

WMain00 posted:

My impression is that the game its self isn't more complex, it's just full of poor feedback and interface issues. It's not so much a matter of complexity, but that complexity being very badly presented/explained to the player within the interface. It can also be very hard to see the results of your actions. So you can go many years trying to do something while not being sure if you're accomplishing anything and then when you finally successfully do what you had been trying to do, it's hard to track if that action was worth doing or even a net positive. It's gotten better since release for sure. It's the only Paradox game that lets you make all these interesting social and political reforms (if you can figure out how) that all result in fairly unclear effects on your country. But it's still a fun game and I'm sure it's even more fun once you've dug into all the math and determined how to effectively play and what actually does what.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Wiz posted:

The tooltip might be a misleading, it basically refers to any wargoals added as a way to bribe the GPs. I will be toning down its effects a bit though.

Yeah but no extra war goals were added and the -50 malus was still there.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Darkrenown posted:

There's a "Democratic People's Republic" dominion in there too :)

Basically I figured Abs Mon was a good generic starting point, and even republican governments could be assumed to leave some kind of governor in charge of their dominions.

Presidential Dictatorship would make a LOT more sense here, I think. There are plenty of dictators claiming to be republican but I can't think of any hereditary monarchs claiming that.

Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

My impression is that the game its self isn't more complex, it's just full of poor feedback and interface issues. It's not so much a matter of complexity, but that complexity being very badly presented/explained to the player within the interface. It can also be very hard to see the results of your actions. So you can go many years trying to do something while not being sure if you're accomplishing anything and then when you finally successfully do what you had been trying to do, it's hard to track if that action was worth doing or even a net positive. It's gotten better since release for sure. It's the only Paradox game that lets you make all these interesting social and political reforms (if you can figure out how) that all result in fairly unclear effects on your country. But it's still a fun game and I'm sure it's even more fun once you've dug into all the math and determined how to effectively play and what actually does what.

Yeah, I'm having fun with the expansion it's pretty great but I'm actually kind of disappointed there weren't more interface changes, not just for presentation of information but more things could be automated, it can get so Micro heavy sometimes and some of it would be a pretty easy fix. I.e. the new colony system requires me to manually select everytime I want to send colonists when racing against another country, why isn't there an auto send option (that I can see anyway, I'd be happy to be corrected on this)? I'm actually kind of surprised with the focus on colonising that there isn't a separate colony screen which you can keep track of your colonies with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

You guys are literally the worst sales people! :v:

I might give it a shot if it goes on sale/is in a pack then. Kinda want to have the full historical set (CK2, EU3, Vic 2) and once I get into the rhythm of them they're good fun.

I'm also ever hopeful that Cold War game will be good, particularly if they get spies right.

• Locked thread