Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proto Cloud
Feb 18, 2013

Maybe next year...
Definitely enjoying the hell outta Soul Hackers so far. Always reminds me why I love the Megaten franchise to begin with and that's the crazy new plots they come up with.

I absolutely love their idea of the "City of Tomorrow" and how it reminds me of those lousy MMOs and social visual forums of the 90s. Though they messed up because we aren't all using Second Life to do everything on the internet though.

Battles are fast paced and the voice overs aren't terrible, though I'm getting tired of them repeatedly using the same voiceovers. (Hire new people and stop using the guys on your speed dial) Guess where they meant that they pulled back on voicing was just some random lines here and there that don't really matter to the plot.

I poo poo myself when I saw this. Definitely makes up for the 50 dollar price point. Good heavens...

Proto Cloud fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Apr 17, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Proto Cloud posted:

(Hire new people and stop using the guys on your speed dial)

They can't.

The voice acting community is extremely small and there are only a few dedicated voice actors at all. You're not seeing a huge amount of recycling because they want to. You're seeing it because they literally have no other choice. That is why even the companies that go for big Hollywood casting supplement it with the same old recognizable voices.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Rascyc posted:

Which SMT mainline games is he absent from at this point? I think you can't fight him in SMT1, but he's still there?

I thought it was such a crappy fight in Nocturne too.

Yeah, he's in SMT1 as the representative of Chaos. Never fights you himself, although he does send you off to get killed if you're Law or Neutral. I'm pretty sure the only major SMT games he's not in are the Digital Devil Saga games.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Rascyc posted:

Which SMT mainline games is he absent from at this point? I think you can't fight him in SMT1, but he's still there?

I thought it was such a crappy fight in Nocturne too.

It's not that it's a surprise, it's that this is the first glimpse we have of his design and he's in the support slot rather than an actual party member.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

TurnipFritter posted:

It's not that it's a surprise, it's that this is the first glimpse we have of his design and he's in the support slot rather than an actual party member.

When you fight for Chaos, you fight with Lucifer.

Sadly I don't have the original poster in a good enough resolution to gently caress with right now.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

flyboi posted:

There are ebooks if you look in seedy places of them just be aware in the second one she mistranslated the demon's name "Seth" as "Set."

Isn't Set an alternate spelling of the same god/demon?

ed: Answered my own question, looks like it is.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

ImpAtom posted:

They can't.

The voice acting community is extremely small and there are only a few dedicated voice actors at all. You're not seeing a huge amount of recycling because they want to. You're seeing it because they literally have no other choice. That is why even the companies that go for big Hollywood casting supplement it with the same old recognizable voices.

You would think with the proliferation of video games and voice acting in general, you'd see a lot more players in the field. Why hasn't voice acting grown when just about every other video-game-related industry has? Hell, Japan has voice actors who become celebrities in their own right.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Just started Devil Survivor Overclocked. I was really disappointed, what with all the talk of "Son of Man," I couldn't put in all the letters for 'Phil Collins' as my protagonist. Also, is Yuzu going to get better? Right now, as of the latter half of Day 1, she's really struggling to do any meaningful damage. I usually just have her heal MC and Atsuro as they go to town.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

She's only going to be useful with spells, unless you mean for some reason she's doing piddly magic damage too.

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS
I have some bad memories of Persona 1, and Soul Hackers looks a heck of a lot like Persona 1 in screenshots. Are the dungeons 3-dimensional hellmazes with one save point like in that game, or are they more sensible (or at least short) like the later games?

Also, is there any mid-dungeon suspend or quick save?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

RentCavalier posted:

You would think with the proliferation of video games and voice acting in general, you'd see a lot more players in the field. Why hasn't voice acting grown when just about every other video-game-related industry has? Hell, Japan has voice actors who become celebrities in their own right.

Money. Anime and medium to low budget games have poo poo budget and the working conditions are terrible since a lot of productions aren't union.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Tequila Bob posted:

I have some bad memories of Persona 1, and Soul Hackers looks a heck of a lot like Persona 1 in screenshots. Are the dungeons 3-dimensional hellmazes with one save point like in that game, or are they more sensible (or at least short) like the later games?

They are 3D first-person dungeon crawls, still, yes. I can't speak for rare save points, I'm not far in.

You can quicksave, but honestly you don't need to. It's a 3DS game, just close the 3DS.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Tequila Bob posted:

Mazes shouldn't be a problem when you can see the whole floor's map at all times on the bottom screen.

You get suspend saves pretty much at all times and there are mid-dungeon save points too.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Also, you get an add-on for your COMP pretty early on that lets you hard save anywhere if you're insecure. Terminals seem to be in relative proximity to bosses, too. Not immediately out front, but only a short hike so far.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RentCavalier posted:

Japan has a very different industry with a lot more emphasis on voice acting due to producing a lot of media that places a lot of emphasis on voice acting.

Voice acting in the US is not really respected. It pays like poo poo, the working conditions are poo poo, and even in big Hollywood movies you tend not to get the respect that you deserve for a role unless you're completely insanely defining. Even then you'll often be typecast and prevented from actually acting. Nolan North has talked about how he can do a bunch of voices but he was flat-out told "do the Drake voice." This is extending to CG motion capture stuff recently and Hollywood is being really slow to recognize that sort of thing.

On top of that, a lot of games have really poo poo budgets for voice acting or blow those budgets on stunt casting. Beyond that, a lot of the voice actors you hear a lot are good. They're cast because they are legitimately talented and good at their job, and more often than not a bad performance is the result of a lovely director. You can see the same actor in two different roles giving two completely different levels of performance due to stuff like this.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Apr 17, 2013

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Pretty much, the only good voice acting conditions are if you're unionized and even then guys like Steve Blum who have done literally hundreds of voices over two decades are still asked to do the same voice over and over. It doesn't help that voice acting for anime in the west is even worse off than if you were voicing a big budget game or popular superhero cartoon, because the pay in that voice acting is such crap that the reason you hear most of the same VAs is because they have to do so many roles to make anything resembling a good profit. Voice actors in America are not celebrities like in Japan, if you aren't voice acting for something Disney related or a Miyazaki film, chances are you're one of the many Johnny Yong Bosch's out there getting typecasted as the same dumb schmuck.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

And a lot of Japanese voice actors are super prolific too. If you've played a game or seen an anime or even watched a dubbed Japanese show, odds are extremely good you've seen at least one thing with Takehito Koyasu in it. (Keeping in mind that isn't remotely a complete list of everything he's been in.)

Koyasu is extremely loving good at his job but he's cast a lot because he's good at his job, works cheap and is available to do almost anything, but he's still in almost everything.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Man, Spike Spencer voices so many characters in Soul Hackers. It's a little ridiculous hearing so many tonal variations of Shinji's voice...

Spoilered, just in case. I just cleared the VR Museum dungeon and was pleasantly surprised to see the boss die from absorbing a crapton of lighting spells. :allears:

Bogart posted:

Just started Devil Survivor Overclocked. I was really disappointed, what with all the talk of "Son of Man," I couldn't put in all the letters for 'Phil Collins' as my protagonist. Also, is Yuzu going to get better? Right now, as of the latter half of Day 1, she's really struggling to do any meaningful damage. I usually just have her heal MC and Atsuro as they go to town.

She's gonna be awful if you don't give her any spells. Her Str is just atrocious, but her Mag is fantastic. Shame she's stuck with 3 move unless you stick a Flight order demon on her team.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I don't know if it's the XL or all 3DS games but the sound is so quiet I can barely hear anything. All the games I've gotten sound so low with the exception of Etrian Odyssey 4 on the highest volume.

Cromlech
Jan 5, 2007

TOODLES
The XL is quieter than the regular 3DS but the XL is still pretty damned loud. I never really got why people complained about it.

Also, gently caress this drat Star Quiz. How am I supposed to know all this horoscope stuff?!

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I think the info you need is littered about the surrounding area. If not, Google is your friend. :shepface:

Roguelike
Jul 29, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER

ChaosArgate posted:

Spoilered, just in case. I just cleared the VR Museum dungeon and was pleasantly surprised to see the boss die from absorbing a crapton of lighting spells. :allears:

Oh, is that what you're supposed to do? I just beat him to death with physical damage. It took a while.

So far, this game seems a lot better than Strange Journey, the dungeons feel a lot better and the save points are really forgiving. Also no teleport poison floor mazes yet.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Cromlech posted:

The XL is quieter than the regular 3DS but the XL is still pretty damned loud. I never really got why people complained about it.

Also, gently caress this drat Star Quiz. How am I supposed to know all this horoscope stuff?!

Here are the answers:
Sagittarius is a Summmer sign
Virgo is east of Leo.
Libra is between Scorpius and whatever.
There are 12 signs.
Pisces is the first sign.

It's a dumb "puzzle" because of all the extraneous information the hallway feeds you.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.
Found out the hard way that if you die, and you used play coins on nemechi without saving they are completely gone forever cause its system level, oops!

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I came across a new copy of persona 3 with the art book at sears today. It was still $50 and the security cord had dug into the sides of the box a bit, but I still can't believe I found a copy.

Cromlech
Jan 5, 2007

TOODLES
Thanks. Yeah I mean, I should've expected SOME SMT arbitrary dumbness but I didn't feel like looking at the hallway and stuff haha. The bosses are pretty easy so far mostly because Nemissa is ridiculous.

Also what's the consensus on demons keeping spells throughout fusions, is that possible? Or does every demon have their own spell set regardless of the demons you used. I liked my wild guy's DEF up spell but I lost it post-fusion.

Cromlech fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Apr 18, 2013

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Cromlech posted:

Also what's the consensus on demons keeping spells throughout fusions, is that possible?

It depends, really. Inheritance is really strict in this game and largely depends on what the resulting demon is. Each demon has an affinity and that determines what they can inherit. So, like, Jack Frost is an Ice type and that means he can only inherit ice spells. You will never have Jack Frost with Zan or Zio or Megido or anything. If you fuse at the Goumaden, you'll sometimes pass on healing/support spells, regardless of affinity.

And naturally, you have no way of knowing a demon's affinity unless you look it up online, and as of right now most of the resources are in Japanese.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
There was only a 1-2% chance of a fusion accident, and my very first fusion in this game ever results in an accident.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

TurnipFritter posted:

Here are the answers:
Sagittarius is a Summmer sign
Virgo is east of Leo.
Libra is between Scorpius and whatever.
There are 12 signs.
Pisces is the first sign.

It's a dumb "puzzle" because of all the extraneous information the hallway feeds you.

It's also wrong. Those answers are correct for the game's quiz, but in actuality Aries is the first sign; Pisces is the last. That one threw me.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I just fought a demonic dolphin with angel wings. This game is weird and 90s as all hell.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Proto Cloud posted:

I poo poo myself when I saw this. Definitely makes up for the 50 dollar price point. Good heavens...

Yeap, my Amazon pre-order suddenly started to look a whole lot better. This is a ton of stuff for extra $10.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Soul Hackers has really good music. Kind of sad the "soundtrack cd" is just a couple of remixes :(

Also the manual has almost no information and there's also no information on anything in the game. Is there a guide for how these systems work?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Overbite posted:

Soul Hackers has really good music. Kind of sad the "soundtrack cd" is just a couple of remixes :(

Also the manual has almost no information and there's also no information on anything in the game. Is there a guide for how these systems work?

3DS games have the manual bundled as part of the software. Move the cursor over the game icon in the Home Menu and on the bottom of the screen there should be a "Manual" button.

Proto Cloud
Feb 18, 2013

Maybe next year...

ImpAtom posted:

Japan has a very different industry with a lot more emphasis on voice acting due to producing a lot of media that places a lot of emphasis on voice acting.

Voice acting in the US is not really respected. It pays like poo poo, the working conditions are poo poo, and even in big Hollywood movies you tend not to get the respect that you deserve for a role unless you're completely insanely defining. Even then you'll often be typecast and prevented from actually acting. Nolan North has talked about how he can do a bunch of voices but he was flat-out told "do the Drake voice." This is extending to CG motion capture stuff recently and Hollywood is being really slow to recognize that sort of thing.

On top of that, a lot of games have really poo poo budgets for voice acting or blow those budgets on stunt casting. Beyond that, a lot of the voice actors you hear a lot are good. They're cast because they are legitimately talented and good at their job, and more often than not a bad performance is the result of a lovely director. You can see the same actor in two different roles giving two completely different levels of performance due to stuff like this.

I do know that the frequently used voice actors we have are quite good. If anything, I gained a lot of respect for Steve Blum after going through Shadows of the Damned. (even if the game wasn't that great) As for direction, yeah, it's a game changer for sure. It's why I liked Erin Fitzgerald as Chie in the anime as opposed to her annoying rendition in P4G.

I honestly thought that due to the rise of video games and animated features over the last decade or so would've changed the situation for voiceovers. Now if it's the case of lack of unionization, they really need to stand up for themselves. It hurts to see these kinds of jobs where people just do it for the love of it all, like game developers do.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Goblin, you little poo poo, I did not spend 100 D-souls on you so you could be an insubordinate rear end in a top hat and ignore my commands to cast Makakaja on Nemissa in that boss fight. :argh:

Also I probably not switch a magic attacker's personality to Kind while on the final leg of a dungeon and into the boss room.

I do like the Go/personality system though. Spices things up. Especially when Oliver Zero uses Recarmdra to heal wounds a Media could handle instead. Dumb personality indeed.

Roguelike
Jul 29, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Will we learn the terrible secret behind Second Life Paradigm X today? And what kind of animal will our vision quest animal be next?

http://www.twitch.tv/roguelike

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.
So should I not bother making Demons which have no moves that mesh well with their temperament? Have a Sly Demon with Party Buffs that occasionally don't work is kind of bullshit. or is there a way around it?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Fancy Hat! posted:

So should I not bother making Demons which have no moves that mesh well with their temperament? Have a Sly Demon with Party Buffs that occasionally don't work is kind of bullshit. or is there a way around it?

The liquor store sells sake that will temporarily alter a demon's personality. You can use it on a demon, max their loyalty out while they're drunk, and then they'll follow orders when they're back to normal. Keep in mind that loyalty is also passed down during fusion, so if all of the components have max loyalty the resulting demon will as well.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Dehry posted:

I came across a new copy of persona 3 with the art book at sears today. It was still $50 and the security cord had dug into the sides of the box a bit, but I still can't believe I found a copy.

Lucky! My copy of P3 with art book was semi-unopened. The game was in the wrapping but the box wasn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Fancy Hat! posted:

What TurnipFritter said; also you can always attempt to make a demon that gets skills inherited, though this can be tricky. Also in the original version (haven't played the 3DS yet) you can only inherit skills when fusing at the Gomaden; no inheritance when doing fusion with your computer.

Also Sly demons are basically not worth attempting to raise loyalty through normal means because it takes forever, even if they do have the right skills. Either get them drunk and do it that way or bribe them.