Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Fifty Three posted:

An excellent addition to the OP.

I've had my Ninja 250 for almost nine months now and I'm still in love. It's faster than any other vehicle I've ever owned and exactly one thousand times more fun. I've come close to dropping it during newbie mistakes, and (thus far) I've been lucky enough to just muscle it upright each time. It's a wonderful little bike.

It hates starting in the cold, but I would too so I can't blame it. :v:

This makes me even more excited to buy mine. I've been browsing CL but am still unsure of what a fair price is. I've emailed a guy about a 2008 with ~2k miles he has listed for $2,800. KBB says $2,450 is closer to the value for this year. Link below if anyone wants to check it out.

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/mcy/3708923334.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

icebeam! posted:

This makes me even more excited to buy mine. I've been browsing CL but am still unsure of what a fair price is. I've emailed a guy about a 2008 with ~2k miles he has listed for $2,800. KBB says $2,450 is closer to the value for this year. Link below if anyone wants to check it out.

I'd try to talk him down a little but anything below 3000 is about right. Dunno why he felt the need to spraypaint the can though. It looks like poo poo.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

icebeam! posted:

I'll sell this to a goon for $1500 :v:
http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/mcy/3709986924.html

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

God your ad sucks it should read "Nevr down scratches are from my stepson's cat, custum body work gud motor feels lik a 500 just sellin cuz i want sumthin faster"

Seriously though that's the most thoughtful and comprehensive cl ad I've seen in a while.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
What's sad is that I'm going to get less responses than if my ad read "blue 250 27k miles 1800 obo," but I find this way weeds out the tire-kickers that ask stupid questions.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
What is the general opinion for mileage on these bikes? Browsing my craigslist over the past few weeks has brought up many 3-4 year old bikes with under 1000k miles. Safer to buy one with higher miles and good service record or one that appears to be rarely used?

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
It's generally a better idea to get one with higher mileage that is well taken care of, unless you don't mind doing some maintenance. When a bike sits for awhile, they tend not to be taken care of properly, so you're looking at getting new tires, a new battery, cleaning the carbs, changing all the fluids, possibly de-rusting the gas tank, and (depending on how long it has sat) replacing any rubber bits that have rotted. If the bike has sat outside, you'll also need new sprockets, a chain, and to replace anything that the weather has crapped on (wiring, hardware, rusty parts).

Conversely, a ridden and maintained bike means that you can test it out before you buy it (or bring someone to do it for you) and may only have to replace normal wear items. These engines will last around 60k miles (I think) properly maintained.

edit: For example, a 3 year old bike with <1k miles, stored inside: New tires (the stock are poo poo, and definitely are not made better by sitting for a long time), clean carbs, replace all fluids, new oil filter, and new gas with a possible tank clean. This will run you about $200-400 depending on if you do all the work yourself or have someone else do it. Even then, you aren't even sure if it will start when you buy it, so it's best to leave those kinds of projects to when you know exactly what to look for in a neglected bike.

AncientTV fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Apr 3, 2013

Debugario
Jun 11, 2009

As of today, I'm the proud owner of a used 2006 ninja 250. :dance:

Its my first bike, took the msf class 6 months ago and finally had the opportunity to get one.
Its needs a good cleaning and some new tires, hopefully I can upload some pics after i get her cleaned up.
Super excited to start commuting on it, gonna save me a lot of gas compared to the van I'm currently using.
Just hope I can find a good parking lot to putter around in until then.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
Congratulations! And I just sold mine today
~~the circle of liiiiife~~

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

AncientTV posted:

Congratulations! And I just sold mine today
~~the circle of liiiiife~~

Still hunting for mine, apparently living in DC means adding $1,000 to the price of these bikes. After pursuing Craigslist for a few weeks, prices for 08s/09s seem to be similar to what people were discussing in this thread 2 years ago :(

Debugario
Jun 11, 2009

Hey, is it normal for my bike to still want to move even with the clutch lever all the way pulled in?

I was sitting on it this morning and was feeling out the clutch by letting it pull me forward a bit then rocking it back, after a few minutes of this the bike was resisting me rocking it back, I had to stay on the brake to keep it from moving forward even with the clutch all the way in. Do I need to adjust the clutch? Or does it need to be lubed?

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Don't quote me on it, but sounds like it's dragging a little and/or you were on a hill?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
You were just sitting stopped on a hill using the clutch to rock the bike back and forth? After essentially slipping the clutch for 3 minutes straight, I wouldn't be surprised if it heats up and starts to drag a bit. Does it keep doing it after the bike cooled down? If so, you probably warped some clutch plates.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
Yeah, I caused that one time by riding my Ninja on soft sand for like 20 minutes. It should be fine after it cools down.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

AncientTV posted:

Yeah, I caused that one time by riding my Ninja on soft sand for like 20 minutes. It should be fine after it cools down.

If it keeps doing it though yeah, adjust the clutch. I like mine where it's starting to catch juuuuuust as I start letting go and it drives my mechanic crazy.

Debugario
Jun 11, 2009

It stops after it cools down. Thanks for all the replies.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

While washing my bike the other day I discovered that my lower fairing is hanging loose on the right side of the bike. The tabs overlapping with the upper fairing are both broken, with the fairing bolts screwed into the broken tabs through the upper fairing. I don't know when this happened, and for all I know I bought the bike like that and just never noticed until I cleaned it. This is a bummer. :smith:

Edit: Actually I can't remember whether the tabs used to be on the upper or lower fairing but whatever it's broken.

tzam
Mar 17, 2009
I had this exact issue, I plastic welded them back on, held up for a few months now. Only takes a few minutes.

squirrelBitten
May 12, 2009
So I'm the proud new owner of an '05 Ninja 250. Picked it up as my first bike this past weekend, everything looking to be in pretty great shape aside from needing its carbs cleaned pretty badly. It still ran, but needed to be warmed up on full choke, and had the idle turned up to about 3500rpm to avoid stalling. I started following the instructions here and got to the part where I have to remove the throttle cable bracket. There's one screw holding it all on, but here's what passed for that screw on mine:

gently caress.

I read around a bit, and it seems that these brass screws are notorious for stripping out if you use cheap tools, with a suggested workaround being to dremel the phillips out to a flathead. Guess the PO tried to do so. I tried using both a flathead and a phillips to get the screw out without any success. I didn't keep trying in fears of screwing it up even more.

Any ideas what I can do here? I need to get the carbs cleaned and have the bike running soon as in WA we need to get an emissions test as part of the ownership transfer process, which has to be completed within two weeks of purchase. It seems the flat slot can be ground out a bit further, so I could try that, but I'm afraid I'll gently caress it up to the point of no repair and structural compromise. Any alternatives to avoid touching that screw wholesale?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Dremel a new slot perpendicular to the old one? Or a left handed drill bit.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Why are you removing that bracket at all?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

EX250 Type R posted:

Why are you removing that bracket at all?

Hey man, post in your own thread :colbert: I want updates about that awesome ninja, and your travels.

But yes, you could just take the throttle cables off and remove the bracket with the rack.

squirrelBitten
May 12, 2009
Thanks for the help!

The reason I tried the brackets was simply because that's what the procedure suggested on the Ninja Wiki was, specifically calling out to do this rather than mess around with the cables. Seems like a very reasonable alternative though. I'll give it a shot tomorrow.

I'm proper terrified of the remainder of the procedure taking the carb apart if the screws are that fragile, though. I mean, what if my own tools aren't good enough and I end up stripping some tiny bolt inside the thing that I can't even drill out :gonk:. Who the hell thought brass screws are a good idea anyway...

velocross
Sep 16, 2007

Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco
Do you have a hand impact driver? They are the bee's knees for philips screws.

Yeah, brass screws suck.. even more so when the PO used the wrong size bit. Also, try and find the best fitting bit or screwdriver. I'll try to use a brand new bit if I know the screw is going to be a pain.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Finally found a new gen 250 in my area worth buying, I'm checking it out tomorrow. 2008 with 3k miles on it, black. Not really into that color as I hear it's less visible, but I think I can get it for $2,600. Is there anything unique to these models specifically that should raise red flags?

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Is it possible to bungee a set of tires to the back of a pregen 250? I need to get them and the bike down to the shop for a change, and I'd rather not have to enlist the help of a person with a car.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

M42 posted:

Is it possible to bungee a set of tires to the back of a pregen 250? I need to get them and the bike down to the shop for a change, and I'd rather not have to enlist the help of a person with a car.
Put them around your body.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

M42 posted:

If you have the full mudguard you can kinda loop them down around the mudguard, but I've always just worn them around my waist.

icebeam! posted:

Finally found a new gen 250 in my area worth buying, I'm checking it out tomorrow. 2008 with 3k miles on it, black. Not really into that color as I hear it's less visible, but I think I can get it for $2,600. Is there anything unique to these models specifically that should raise red flags?

Nope.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
For the record: I sold my 2010 Ninja 250 before I left California and I miss the living hell out of it. It never gave me a single mechanical or electrical issue for the entire year / 8000 miles I had it. I bought an SV650 here in Houston and it just feels like garbage for some reason (not to mention the battery died in the first week of having it). I'm planning on doing the standard suspension upgrades and changing out my clipons, but man I miss the 250.

<3 250s

Stugazi
Mar 1, 2004

Who me, Bitter?
I love my new Triumph but my cbr250 still calls to me. Definitely a lot be said for riding a slow bike fast vs a fast bike slow.

Speaking of...anyone wanna buy a 2012 cbr250 with abs and 3800 miles? :)

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Gods above, I was skeptical it would work for someone my size but it does

:cawg: They hula hoop around my torso if I lean the bike left/right though.

ButtFaceMcCrackin
Nov 6, 2004

You'll never get confused about which end to use!

M42 posted:

Gods above, I was skeptical it would work for someone my size but it does

:cawg: They hula hoop around my torso if I lean the bike left/right though.

Haha, this is awesome. What kind of new tires did you get?

ohstone
Jul 5, 2007
My phone ate my liver!

icebeam! posted:

My poor battered 09 has been absolutely trouble free in the the 20k miles that i've had it. Both me and my younger brother learned how to ride on it. It has never been covered up, it has always lived outside, and it has been on it's side more times than I can remember. I had to put a battery in it last year but that's all. It carried me and a passenger from the middle of georgia to Deal's Gap, and still had enough power to pass 600s in the corners. Never burned one drop of oil and just wore out the oem chain. I love it.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

They're pirelli MT75s. I hear they're really good and their only problem is they have a shorter life because of how sticky they are. Cheap, too.

e: do cops give a poo poo if you're riding around with your tires like that?

M42 fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Apr 18, 2013

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

M42 posted:

e: do cops give a poo poo if you're riding around with your tires like that?

It's safety gear at that point.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Officer, this is my crumple zone

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

M42 posted:

Officer, this is my crumple zone

And what about the tires? :ocelot:

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

How am I supposed to attach my helmet in such a way that it doesn't melt on the exhaust pipe? :(

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Could strap it to the pillion seat if the helmet lock under the seat isn't working for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Yeah, that's my issue. I want to lock it in some way but the helmet lock leaves it hanging in contact with the pipe. If theft wasn't an issue I'd just strap it to the pillion seat... handle... thing.

• Locked thread