Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor

Gann Jerrod posted:

Just wait for the Dungeons of Dredmore port! I'm sure they're working really hard on it!:smith:

My sarcasm detector might not be working but just in case... They said recently they still weren't sold on doing a port and if they decide to do it they might farm it out. Can but hope that they were misinterpreted but probably not, they are beavering away on a completely new game with a brand new engine. Chances are indeed low that there is any "Surprise!" type moment awaiting us with an out of the blue release.

Looks like no Star Command this week either, not had the notification from the TA app yet to see if anything decent is awaiting us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Bahamut
Nov 12, 2003
internet internet lama sabacthani
Any good new bus games I can get into/out of quickly, make some progress in, and listen to a podcast during? I'm completely burnt out on 10000000, nimblequest, slayin, wargames and ridiculous fishing (not that all of these fit all of the prior categories). Paid is preferable than completely F2P because drat am I sick of endlessly repeating beginning levels

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

King Bahamut posted:

Any good new bus games I can get into/out of quickly, make some progress in, and listen to a podcast during? I'm completely burnt out on 10000000, nimblequest, slayin, wargames and ridiculous fishing (not that all of these fit all of the prior categories). Paid is preferable than completely F2P because drat am I sick of endlessly repeating beginning levels
Ski Safari is still my favorite 5-minute game, and the mission system has always kept my attention.

(the game is endless, but it never really gets harder or easier, there's just less and less window for recovering from mistakes)

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
I'm glad I'm not the only one that's getting really annoyed and bothered by IAP games. There's something to say about paying once and then never having to pay again, and also having it be more like a complete game.

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

I GOT CRABBY ABOUT PHONE GAMING
Oh you aren't alone. Tons of people have despised them from the start.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

King Bahamut posted:

Punch Quest is consistently wonderful.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one that's getting really annoyed and bothered by IAP games. There's something to say about paying once and then never having to pay again, and also having it be more like a complete game.

Supercell making $2.4m per DAY is why there are only going to be more and more IAP games. I gave a whole speech at Chartboost University convincing people to not go premium if they want to make money.

RhysD
Feb 7, 2009

Bust it!
Halfbrick's new game Fish Out Of Water comes out tonight. So far it's actually pretty fun skipping fish along the water. Reminds me of that old flash game where you play as a yeti and hit a penguin as far as you can.

Join the 'somethingawful' league if you get a chance. I think my highest rating is like 9.4 so far :(

https://itunes.apple.com/app/id578467798?mt=8

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Since Riven didn't come out too long ago, what's the likelihood that we'll see Myst 3 on iOS too?
While I preferred the 3D in realMyst to the purely pre-rendered Riven, I found myself really digging the pace on these and would love to hear that they plan to port more of them.
Much thanks to whoever it was that recommended SpellTower to me pages and pages ago. It's been a blast playing that one.

After a few hiccups earlier finally getting back into The World Ends With You and though I love the style and gameplay of the thing, I feel like they're unveiling gameplay features way too slowly (I beat it way back on DS but forgot about most of it). It's been feeling like a few hours of tutorial so far.
I just want to eat burgers for stats and watch my digestion meter while listening to all the surprisingly catchy music.

I remember last time that burgers featured heavily on my file. I forget why.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

JazzFlight posted:

I've been playing Nameless: the Hackers RPG lately. Kind of a fun little grindy RPG with a "hackers as portrayed in movies" skin over it like Uplink. True, it has a goofy anime aesthetic and a couple "lolcat/memes/bitcoins/anonymous rulez" elements, but it's fun to grind away and know when to use the appropriate skills in battle.

http://appshopper.com/games/nameless-the-hackers-rpg

Thanks for the link. I was worried that it was some kind of IAP time game, but it's totally not, the energy/health is all managed as an in game thing and not at all like a timer. The writing..amuses me at least and the gameplay is pretty fun. Definitely the kind of game I can pick up/put down whenever I need to. Neat little RPG.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Halfbrick's new game came out. Out of Water. Game is pretty simple, grab a fish and skip it. I joined the SomethingAwful league. Only 4 members so far.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Comrade Flynn posted:

Supercell making $2.4m per DAY is why there are only going to be more and more IAP games. I gave a whole speech at Chartboost University convincing people to not go premium if they want to make money.
Puzzle and Dragons is pulling in that much in Japan too. Freemium isn't going anywhere, I'm afraid.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

obi_ant posted:

Halfbrick's new game came out. Out of Water. Game is pretty simple, grab a fish and skip it. I joined the SomethingAwful league. Only 4 members so far.

I don't think it's out in the US yet.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
The TouchArcade league is full. :(

JGTheSpy
Jul 31, 2002
Excuse me, but if I could have a moment of your time, I'd like to explain why you're not actually enjoying that game that you're enjoying. You see, I am in fact an expert. At games. I know, it's impressive.

Bummey posted:

I don't think it's out in the US yet.

You're not missing much.

hogswallower
May 8, 2005

Precious Pig Bits
Is slash'em only for iPad? I can't seem to find it in the store on my phone.

RhysD
Feb 7, 2009

Bust it!

JGTheSpy posted:

You're not missing much.

It's actually quite an awesome game, perfectly suited for mobile. There is a slight bit of strategy required because of the different factors (weather that changes every hour, fish that behave differently in each case).

You can say I'm currently hooked :)

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

The one true roguelike that we're all waiting for is Desktop Dungeons.

It's the most tantalizing not-on-my-phoneware that is being-developed-for-my-phoneware. I made a post almost 10 months ago on their forums where the dev said that it's being developed in Unity and will definitely have a port, but god drat come on.

e: I should mention that their forums (and the dev) is quite active, so the game isn't in limbo. It's just in permanent Blizzard Beta status.

DNK fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Apr 18, 2013

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

DNK posted:

The one true roguelike that we're all waiting for is Desktop Dungeons.

It's the most tantalizing not-on-my-phoneware that is being-developed-for-my-phoneware. I made a post almost 10 months ago on their forums where the dev said that it's being developed in Unity and will definitely have a port, but god drat come on.

e: I should mention that their forums (and the dev) is quite active, so the game isn't in limbo. It's just in permanent Blizzard Beta status.

Shoot, someone should just port the "alpha" one that you could download and didn't require playing on the browser andI would drop serious cash for it alone

retro sexual
Mar 14, 2005
Last month while the devs were at gdc they opened up their beta build so anyone could play online (you can also preorder to get the same access). Its looking really good, lots of DD goodness + a really good overworld / longterm game. This is going to be a must-buy when it (finally) comes out

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Soooo itunes are currently doing some thing with showcasing a bunch of dungeon crawlers on the front page. I've played Nimble Quest, Bard's Quest, Mage Gauntlet, Puzzle Quest, and Sword of Fargoal. Are any of the others listed actually any good? (I have no wish to replay Infocom games, they hosed my brain hard enough when I was a kid.)

e.
Also I've been messing with the roguelikes that whatstheirface listed earlier, and Powder really does seem like the best one. Man the interface sucks though on the iOS. No hotkeys! :argh:

Corridor fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Apr 18, 2013

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

retro sexual posted:

Last month while the devs were at gdc they opened up their beta build so anyone could play online (you can also preorder to get the same access). Its looking really good, lots of DD goodness + a really good overworld / longterm game. This is going to be a must-buy when it (finally) comes out

$10 for beta access is a STEAL, by the way, and they've been releasing substantial updates every single Friday for, like, over a year now. It's an amazing game.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Thirst Mutilator posted:

Shoot, someone should just port the "alpha" one that you could download and didn't require playing on the browser andI would drop serious cash for it alone

Someone did-- all the numbers and mechanics were exactly the same, it just used a different tileset... and it wasnt the devs :( it was just some jerk who wholesale ripped them off

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Arranger will be free for the next week, if anyone else was curious to check it out. It looks like the right kind of bizarre:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_39gvEQ-YU

Duranki
Nov 16, 2004

There is vengeance to be dealt, Marc Spector. And you have not lost your taste for such things. Have you?
I would've sworn I had Arranger on my wish list. I just checked AppShopper, and the game's App activity only has one entry, dated yesterday, yet I heard about this game a few months ago?

I should learn to read. Note says the game changed publishers.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Shalinor posted:

Arranger will be free for the next week, if anyone else was curious to check it out. It looks like the right kind of bizarre:

I have no idea what the gently caress is going on in that video. *clicks download*

Any trip reports on Vendetta Online yet? I'm really interested to hear how that works out.

Ijuuin Enzan
Oct 28, 2006
More fun than dryer lint.

Sad lions posted:

Since Riven didn't come out too long ago, what's the likelihood that we'll see Myst 3 on iOS too?
While I preferred the 3D in realMyst to the purely pre-rendered Riven, I found myself really digging the pace on these and would love to hear that they plan to port more of them.

Slim to gently caress all. It's a licensing fistula.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Duranki posted:

I would've sworn I had Arranger on my wish list. I just checked AppShopper, and the game's App activity only has one entry, dated yesterday, yet I heard about this game a few months ago?

I should learn to read. Note says the game changed publishers.
At least it looks like they're not changing the game to free-to-play (with ads and IAP), it's just free for a bit so that first-adopters from the last app don't get burned.

I think that's what's going on.

silly
Jul 15, 2004

"I saw it get by the mound, and I saw Superman at second base."
Fish Out Of Water is pretty fun, but it seems simple to a fault. Unlike other throw things far games there isn't any kind of upgrade system or progression from what I can tell. And it has missions but they seem to be a pretty generic set of things to do. Feel like I am going to burn out on it pretty quick.

LIMBO KING
May 3, 2006

So... Tower of Fortune got a prequel:

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

silly posted:

Fish Out Of Water is pretty fun, but it seems simple to a fault. Unlike other throw things far games there isn't any kind of upgrade system or progression from what I can tell. And it has missions but they seem to be a pretty generic set of things to do. Feel like I am going to burn out on it pretty quick.

Yeah, it's missing that Nanaca Crash/Burrito Bison thing of having extra stuff to bounce off that do different things. I do like the little bit of strategic element - like knowing you are high on distance but low on skips for your last throw and choosing what fish to use accordingly. Still, pretty simplistic, but not bad for a buck.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Ijuuin Enzan posted:

Slim to gently caress all. It's a licensing fistula.

Goddamnit.
At least there's a new Broken Sword and The Room on the way.
I wish it wasn't so hard to find good adventure games on the app store. Their definitions of genre are shoddy at best.

Quickpull
Mar 1, 2003

We're all mad here.
Speaking of great trailers...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vxxnq5YAVHw

Leviathan: Warships
Ship just got real

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Shalinor posted:

Picked it up at 99c awhile back, it was a fun little game. Pretty short, but definitely unique and fun. Make sure you play with sound on.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

This single-handedly justifies the existence of spoken word poetry.

EDIT: VV There will probably be one big one in a few months ("Kitties In Hats" - customization et al) that will tie it more into the next game, but that'll be it. We're already rolling on the next game, so mostly, Jones On Fire will just get bug patches and the like.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Apr 18, 2013

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine
Shalinor can I ask you a question about your game. Is it possible to add Save Puppies dlc. People love puppies too. And maybe different outfits for Jones?

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Turnquiet posted:

My wife just started playing Texas hold 'em and now has a poker boner. What is a great game paid or free for ipad?

We have a iPad version of our Poker game "PlayScreen Poker 2 HD." In addition to the online play, there's a practice game that even works with no connection and does not consume chips. We also give players many ways to get free chips, so you don't have to spend $$$ to play.

VideoGameVet fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Apr 18, 2013

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Comrade Flynn posted:

Just "Puzzle and Dragons" by itself, is making even more than that now.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Arranger is AWESOME

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Any of you fine folks play that new Free to Play Golf Star game?

here's my only deal with it so far... why is my player name listed as VID_2323789y34-whatever? Why can I not change it? Why is it I can do nothing in the MY INFO screen on my profile?

What gives?

[edit]

Oh my bad, the first time I played it didn't prompt me to make an account. Fully killing it and rebooting did.

Feenix fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Apr 18, 2013

• Locked thread