Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

I also remember there being one of those awful "subway" levels where you have to dodge trains while flying down the tracks and thinking that it was just so incredibly out of place in a Descent game.

Yeah, that level is set in Seoul. It is not explained why there is no gravity in South Korea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Glimpse posted:

I keep a joystick around just so I can play Descent and Tie Fighter whenever the feeling grabs me. Come to think of it, I bought my first stick of my very own to play Descent. I never found playing it with a mouse to be workable at all, though I guess some are ok with it, somehow.

Mouse to pitch and turn, WSAD to accelerate/reverse and slide left and right, LMB primary, RMB secondary. Space slides up, left ctrl slides down.

Also, I realized something interesting from what Dominic White posted. By his definition of Doom-style gameplay:

Dominic White posted:

every single enemy is slower than you, and almost every enemy fires bright, easily evaded solid projectiles. Your most powerful weapons are best applied up-close, so it becomes a game about maneuvering between enemies as quickly as possible and picking off specific targets. The better you get, the even more this becomes true; the Spider Mastermind can be one-shot with the BFG, and the cyberdemon is safest when you're within super-shotgun range and controlling its movements.

rather than Painkiller or Serious Sam being the logical evolution of Doom gameplay, it's loving Descent of all things. There aren't any hitscan enemies (that I'm aware of, I haven't beaten either of the first two) and there's only one hitscan weapon available to the player; instead, every enemy fires brightly-colored, slow-moving projectiles, and with that one exception all of the player's weapons operate likewise. Most of the enemies move very slowly, and while you're not exactly flying a space Ferrari, you're significantly more maneuverable than they are. In addition, the key-hunt gameplay is made much more fun and interesting with the addition of 6DOF, room-over-room, optional objectives (prisoners), and things like the guide bot in D2 (also better level design but that's a matter of opinion).

SALT CURES HAM fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Apr 18, 2013

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
For those of you hungry for more information on the new ROTT, here's your chance to meet the multiplayer characters. One of them's a skeleton.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

ChickenHeart posted:

For those of you hungry for more information on the new ROTT, here's your chance to meet the multiplayer characters. One of them's a skeleton.

Hey I. P. Freely dyed his hair.

EDIT: Just fired up RotT to make sure... Apparently it was always brown? :saddowns:

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Apr 18, 2013

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

ChickenHeart posted:

A smoking skeleton.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Fallom posted:

A smoking skeleton.

Oh my god it's literally

This game is so loving 90's that one of the characters is a Geocities gif

NovaPolice
May 9, 2006
If there is any story elements in this game outside of the manual, they should be about Bob "Rude Gif" Skeleton and Grozgerzasrogtiveslin Zwudikatroltoskysitliev teaming up.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

I don't know how they managed it, but they seem to just get it. It's magical.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
I was surprised to see speed and endurance stats for the different characters, I wonder how noticeable those will be in-game.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Geight posted:

I was surprised to see speed and endurance stats for the different characters, I wonder how noticeable those will be in-game.

They're pretty noticeable in the original. Playing as Lorelei is can be pretty disorienting after playing as Doug for a while (or vice versa).

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012
I need this game now, mother of god.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Geight posted:

In the 18 minute MP video, the player was playing as Cassart, who's considered medium speed.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Mak0rz posted:

They're pretty noticeable in the original. Playing as Lorelei is can be pretty disorienting after playing as Doug for a while (or vice versa).

I seem to remember that there were a couple of secrets in the original that were literally impossible to get unless you played as Lorelei.

ClownSyndrome
Sep 2, 2011

Do you think love can bloom on bob-omb Battlefield?

DoombatINC posted:

Oh my god it's literally

I had the same thought

I wonder if one of the other characters is a stick figure with a shovel

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
"Bob is a skeleton. He was created because we needed another player to even out the HUNT team roster and ran out of fresh ideas. Deal with it."

"After being rescued from the depths of the Triad's castle, Grozgerzasrogtiveslin Zwudizkatroltoskysitliev has followed the HUNT team around ever since. They'd ask him to stop, but they can't pronounce his name."

:allears:

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

DoombatINC posted:

Oh my god it's literally

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEyQP1Dk0Rw gonna gently caress you up in deathmatch, 90's style.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
Steam just gave me a 50% off Duke nukem 3D thing. Does it have anything to make it worth having over the GoG version of the atomic edition I got last year? I already own lifes a beach and duke in LA too.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

QwertySanchez posted:

Steam just gave me a 50% off Duke nukem 3D thing. Does it have anything to make it worth having over the GoG version of the atomic edition I got last year? I already own lifes a beach and duke in LA too.
No, there's supposed to be MP support added at some point but nobody knows when. It's not really worth it unless you like Steam achievements or something.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

QwertySanchez posted:

Considering the half-assed effort they put into the port, I doubt the multiplayer would be any good. The 3D acceleration code they used was never even close to being suitable for use in a commercial product. It's full of bugs (try getting shrinked, notice the massive HOM errors). I wouldn't expect any better when it comes to their netcode. It'll probably be a barely modified P2P thing based on the original netcode. Expect lots of sync errors.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

QwertySanchez posted:

Then all you'd get would be Nuclear Winter and a half-finished fork of JFDuke...

Wait, Duke in LA? Don't you mean Duke in DC?

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
Yeah, that's what I meant, sorry. I have no idea why I thought it was LA..

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Duke it Out in LA: "God drat, my apartment is lovely"

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug
Once the Steam version of Duke3D gets patched with multiplayer I hope me, QwertySanchez, Jedrick and anyone else interested will play a shitload of co-op again. :D
Even if I have to buy you two the copies of the game!

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Tecman posted:

Once the Steam version of Duke3D gets patched with multiplayer I hope me, QwertySanchez, Jedrick and anyone else interested will play a shitload of co-op again. :D
Even if I have to buy you two the copies of the game!
Hell yeah motherfucker!

I just hope that the new netcode is good... :ohdear:

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

WickedIcon posted:

rather than Painkiller or Serious Sam being the logical evolution of Doom gameplay, it's loving Descent of all things. There aren't any hitscan enemies (that I'm aware of, I haven't beaten either of the first two) and there's only one hitscan weapon available to the player; instead, every enemy fires brightly-colored, slow-moving projectiles, and with that one exception all of the player's weapons operate likewise. Most of the enemies move very slowly, and while you're not exactly flying a space Ferrari, you're significantly more maneuverable than they are. In addition, the key-hunt gameplay is made much more fun and interesting with the addition of 6DOF, room-over-room, optional objectives (prisoners), and things like the guide bot in D2 (also better level design but that's a matter of opinion).

Oh my god, Descent. DESCENT. Some of my favorite games of all time and, sadly, one of the few truly amazing games I have yet to see redone in a modern engine.

There's actually one hitscan enemy in D1, the Vulcan bot (which is a nightmare to deal with on harder difficulties). Also, I've never seen a game pull off global difficulty settings as well as Descent; there aren't more enemies on higher settings, but their AI is SO much different that the game feel completely changes as you step it up from Trainee to Rookie to Hotshot to Ace to Insane. Robots are faster, enemy projectiles are faster, the AI gets smarter, and they will move around a lot and get really unpredictable.

D2 had a couple of hitscan enemies as well, but yeah, most enemies fire projectiles. On Ace and Insane, enemy projectiles are as fast as yours. It's balls-to-the-wall hard as gently caress and some of the most challenging gameplay I can remember.

D3 was OK, but nowhere near as good as D1 and D2. D2 is my favorite for all the extra weapons added on and, as mentioned, the enormous maps and amazing level design. I really gotta reinstall and get D1/D2 working again, and maybe even D3. It's been a few years since I played any of them. Since they came out, though, I've probably played D1/D2 dozens of times each over the years.

And all that said, as much as I love Descent, my "totem game" is definitely Unreal/Unreal Tournament, so I was really happy to find this thread and see them get some love in the OP. If you want more Unreal/UT singleplayer levels complete with reviews and the like, go to http://unrealsp.org and you can find a lot of really good stuff. I've actually made and released a few things myself (as Waffnuffly) and am working on a big mod right now that's in Open Beta. I also made a level for 7 Bullets, and yes, that's a pretty great mod! There's still a sizable amount of development activity for these old games even today; it warms my heart.

If you have any questions at all about content or running Unreal/UT, feel free to ask me! I've been playing and developing on that engine for the better part of the last 14 years, no joke.

Buff Skeleton fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Apr 18, 2013

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Buff Skeleton posted:

If you have any questions at all about content or running Unreal/UT, feel free to ask me! I've been playing and developing on that engine for the better part of the last 14 years, no joke.

Is there a way to set the UI in Unreal to scale larger? One of the things that drove me nuts when I played it was the UI being absolutely tiny in modern resolutions.

Actually what I'd really like is a way to run Unreal at 640x480 and have that "blown up" in a window, similar to what Chocolate Doom does.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Segmentation Fault posted:

Is there a way to set the UI in Unreal to scale larger? One of the things that drove me nuts when I played it was the UI being absolutely tiny in modern resolutions.

Actually what I'd really like is a way to run Unreal at 640x480 and have that "blown up" in a window, similar to what Chocolate Doom does.

Play it at 640x480 or 800x600 (or a similarly low widescreen resolution) and throw massive amounts of antialiasing at it?

That's what I do with games like GTA Vice City and San Andreas. Vice City in particular uses some pixel-based effects that just don't look right at super-high resolutions. It's much more faithful to the original look of the game at 1280x800 with 32xCSAA compared to running it at 1920x1200.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Segmentation Fault posted:

Not sure about the latter, but the HUD in Unreal is by far one of the game's most unfortunate wrinkles on a modern system, since it doesn't scale with resolution. All the HUD icons are 32x32 textures. I've got a custom HUD in the mod I'm working on which can be scaled up manually, but the stock HUD doesn't support that.

My friend who made the scalable HUD for me originally based it on the Unreal HUD, though, so I'll see if I can find the scaler and if there's a mutator you can use to replace the stock HUD with it. Normally HUD is defined in the GameInfo, so it might require some work to swap it out, but I think it's doable.

That said, Unreal actually looks pretty good at native res if you use a modern D3D or OpenGL renderer and you fix the FOV for widescreen resolutions. For 1920x1080, open the console with ~ or press tab and type "fov 105" and "setfov 105" - this will bring you up from the 90-degree FOV so you can actually utilize all that screen real estate instead of having the top and bottom cut off. Once you do this, the game should remember your settings as well.

Buff Skeleton fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Apr 18, 2013

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Buff Skeleton posted:

And all that said, as much as I love Descent, my "totem game" is definitely Unreal/Unreal Tournament, so I was really happy to find this thread and see them get some love in the OP. If you want more Unreal/UT singleplayer levels complete with reviews and the like, go to http://unrealsp.org and you can find a lot of really good stuff. I've actually made and released a few things myself (as Waffnuffly) and am working on a big mod right now that's in Open Beta. I also made a level for 7 Bullets, and yes, that's a pretty great mod! There's still a sizable amount of development activity for these old games even today; it warms my heart.

Hah, you're Waffnuffly? Cool! I liked the 7B maps you did but Palace of Chizra is probably my favourite of the maps you've done. 7B was pretty great, it's too bad that RD has kind of disapeared (At least I can't see a forum for it anymore and no website) I would like EXU more but it makes my computer bleed (Which is hardly your fault) The Last Fortress is also pretty loving amazing too actually.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

Buff Skeleton posted:

Oh my god, Descent. DESCENT. Some of my favorite games of all time and, sadly, one of the few truly amazing games I have yet to see redone in a modern engine.

Whatever you do, don't buy Miner Wars.

I was hoping for a spiritual successor to Descent. What I got was suffering. :gonk:

ExMortis
Feb 14, 2012

Let's RUNNING!! :ussr:

Lord Dudeguy posted:

I was hoping for a spiritual successor to Descent. What I got was suffering. :gonk:

Not to Recent FPS Derail too hard but what about Retrovirus? Any user opinions?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

ExMortis posted:

Not to Recent FPS Derail too hard but what about Retrovirus? Any user opinions?

Yeah, I thought it was really terrible. Starts pretty decently and feels good for the first hour or so, but then it starts to rapidly sink in how bad and repetitive the level design is, how bad the weapons are, how unfun the enemies are to fight, how badly designed the mechanics are, and so on. There were some things I liked but they were pretty few and far between.

Didn't try the multiplayer though, maybe that's good? The weapons were just not very fun though, maybe the worst rocket launcher I've ever used in a FPS.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Buff Skeleton posted:

Not sure about the latter, but the HUD in Unreal is by far one of the game's most unfortunate wrinkles on a modern system, since it doesn't scale with resolution. All the HUD icons are 32x32 textures. I've got a custom HUD in the mod I'm working on which can be scaled up manually, but the stock HUD doesn't support that.

My friend who made the scalable HUD for me originally based it on the Unreal HUD, though, so I'll see if I can find the scaler and if there's a mutator you can use to replace the stock HUD with it. Normally HUD is defined in the GameInfo, so it might require some work to swap it out, but I think it's doable.

That said, Unreal actually looks pretty good at native res if you use a modern D3D or OpenGL renderer and you fix the FOV for widescreen resolutions. For 1920x1080, open the console with ~ or press tab and type "fov 105" and "setfov 105" - this will bring you up from the 90-degree FOV so you can actually utilize all that screen real estate instead of having the top and bottom cut off. Once you do this, the game should remember your settings as well.

I actually like Kentie's DX10 renderer. Used it with Deus Ex, Unreal Tournament, and Unreal, and I loved it with all three. I don't really know what it does in particular but the games often look darker in the DX10 renderer than normal, but not too dark. It really adds a level of atmosphere into the games (especially Deus Ex).

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Lord Dudeguy posted:

What's bad with it? Grind-based gameplay? (I see they have an MMO version of the game...) Boring levels? Poor enemy/weapon balance?

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Jblade posted:

Hah, you're Waffnuffly? Cool! I liked the 7B maps you did but Palace of Chizra is probably my favourite of the maps you've done. 7B was pretty great, it's too bad that RD has kind of disapeared (At least I can't see a forum for it anymore and no website) I would like EXU more but it makes my computer bleed (Which is hardly your fault) The Last Fortress is also pretty loving amazing too actually.

Hah thanks Jblade, didn't know you were a goon. I think RD is just on hold for the moment but hasn't been cancelled. It IS a shame how many huge, ambitious, large-scale projects are just crawling progress-wise right now, but I think they will all get released eventually.

The latest build of EXU2 actually runs surprisingly well even on older machines now; I've optimized code all over the place and have done even more for the next patch. Most of the stuff that slows Unreal down is actually dynamic lighting (i.e. GPU rendering), not CPU processing. I can get a dozen or so dynamic-light-heavy actors to slow down even my current PC while tens of thousands of invisible number-crunching classes won't do a thing to the framerate.

Lord Dudeguy posted:

drat, I forgot about that. It looked promising, but yeah I have heard mixed reviews. I just want something else that has a lot of good old arcadey shooter action with 6DOF and tons of overkill firepower and lots and lots of enemies.

Buff Skeleton fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Apr 18, 2013

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

Cat Mattress posted:

What's bad with it? Grind-based gameplay? (I see they have an MMO version of the game...) Boring levels? Poor enemy/weapon balance?

Abysmal load times, terrible map design paired with a wayward UI ("I'm going where?"), crashes crashes crashes.

I'd give an example (the Steam forums) of the general outcry, but the devs have taken a liking to deleting negative threads over there.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Sad; both Miner Wars and Retrovirus looked interesting. Oh well, I don't have a working joystick anymore anyway.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

KozmoNaut posted:

I seem to remember that there were a couple of secrets in the original that were literally impossible to get unless you played as Lorelei.

Yeah, there's one right next to the starting point of the first level (In the Thick of It). It's behind a crushing wall only Lorelei can outrun.

EDIT: I've never played Descent, but all this talk reminds me of the demo for Hellbender that came with my Windows 95 disc. The drat thing was near impossible to play without a 43-axis controller, but I remember having fun with it. Has anyone else played it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARNwWU0APPo

I still remember that rocking music after almost 20 years :allears:

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Apr 18, 2013

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug

Mak0rz posted:

EDIT: I've never played Descent, but all this talk reminds me of the demo for Hellbender that came with my Windows 95 disc. The drat thing was near impossible to play without a 43-axis controller, but I remember having fun with it. Has anyone else played it?
I did, and I still have my copy. :) It was one of the first PC games that I bought. I still remember my disorientation while playing a game like that, being giddy as hell whenever I picked up a Hellion missile and having to learn how to manage your energy from items you could pick up to either powering your weapons or something else I think your shields - thanks, the game's manual from the jewel case close at hand! Hell, at the time I didn't even realize I was being talked to by Dana Scully the entire time. :v:

I have fond memories of the game (and trying to play it with a joystick), but I'd rather not try and replay it today - except for the music, which I listen to every now and then.

edit: Wasn't Hellbender powered by the same engine that Monster Truck Madness 1 used?

Tecman fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Apr 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
That looks an awful lot like Terminal Velocity to me, and I know there was at least one other game (Fury^3) that was just TV modded and rebranded.