Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VanNuys
Feb 25, 2013

by Debbie Metallica

Terrible Robot posted:

R33s are still technically legal for import into the states but have to go through an expensive federalization process and a bunch of other bullshit. Motorex did all the necessary work to get them federally approved, but where they hosed up was trying to apply the crash test/EPA results of the R33 to the R32 and R34 as well. Feds were not at all happy when they found out, Motorex was gutted, and any R32/4 Skyline imported by them can be seized and crushed at any time.

Yeah, but a LOT of shady poo poo went along with that. I read the story that involved car theft, drugs, organized crime and a ton of their crazy poo poo. They also did shoddy work beyond just applying the r33 numbers to the 32 and 34, it really was a huge clusterfuck. With the 25 year import rule it boils down to be a LOT simpler allowing a single person to import a car for his personal use. No buying tons of them to crash and test and modify to pass regulations.

EDIT: I'm excited for the cars that will soon be open to import. Not so much the skylines, but more so early evolutions, subarus, and JDM SiR hondas etc..

VanNuys fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Apr 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Oh yeah, there was definitely a whole lot more to the story than what I mentioned, the entire Motorex saga is pretty insane and could have its own thread if it wasn't such old news by now.

I'm happy to wait a few more years to import one hassle free, because screw trying to jump through all those hoops. The amount of great older Japanese sports cars that are becoming available for import in the next few years is kinda overwhelming.

VVV Years of playing Gran Turismo are coming in handy navigating through all the model names. I knew all that time was worthwhile. VVV

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Apr 15, 2013

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Always good to do some research http://auc.smilejv.com/aj It is worth it to just look at some of the Japanese model names.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/cto/3731714704.html

Gold? (I don't mind the automatic; in fact, it's better for my purposes because I am awful)

VanNuys
Feb 25, 2013

by Debbie Metallica

atomicthumbs posted:

Gold? (I don't mind the automatic; in fact, it's better for my purposes because I am awful)

If the automatic is cool with you, buy it. Supras are cool as hell.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
A friend of mine had an '88 in that exact color but with the non-turbo engine. It did however have TEMS (Toyota Electronic Modulated Suspension) and a limited slip differential, which the one you're looking at also appears to have (strange he doesn't mention it in the ad...). Good god that car could handle. in Sport mode, it felt perfectly planted all the time, and in Normal mode it rode smooth as glass down the highway. What I'm saying here is that if it's within your budget and you want a car that is super comfortable as well as an absolute blast to drive, buy it. Make sure that the TEMS functions beforehand though, as it's about $1-1.2k in parts to fix if it is borked.

e: Just noticed that the mileage is below 100k, which is great, except that it means there is a chance the weak headgasket issue hasn't been dealt with yet, since IIRC it doesn't tend to show up until right around that mileage. Something else to keep in mind.

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Apr 14, 2013

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Augmented Dickey posted:

I love the idea of Leno or Ralph Lauren trawling the Southeast Iowa CL site for the single existing Machbach Exelero, and getting really upset when their search only returns another loving beat to hell Raptor.

drat, I was just going to comment on that. Seems like you should either make your keywords relevant or go for the massive wall of words, not just pick twenty exotic hypercars and call it a day -- exactly how many people does that guy think are going to be searching for stuff like a Noble M600 or a Lamborghini Reventon and go "yeah, never mind, I want a busted-rear end truck"?

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
It's almost like the guy doesn't take his own ad seriously...................

emptyspace
Oct 21, 2008

atomicthumbs posted:

I had a '91 turbo for a few years. Loved that car. I had a 3" turbo-back exhaust and upgraded turbo on mine, it was pretty quick for as big a car as it was.

Watch for bad head gaskets. The problem was that Toyota didn't torque the head bolts properly. This guy has had the car for a long time, so he would know if the head gasket has ever been replaced or if the head bolts were retorqued properly. If there's no gasket issues, then yeah 4k is a pretty decent price.

Another thing to watch for is the targa top is kind of prone to leaks. Pretty annoying to get a lap full of water every time you come to a stop in the rain, but easy enough to fix.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

Terrible Robot posted:

A friend of mine had an '88 in that exact color but with the non-turbo engine. It did however have TEMS (Toyota Electronic Modulated Suspension) and a limited slip differential, which the one you're looking at also appears to have (strange he doesn't mention it in the ad...). Good god that car could handle. in Sport mode, it felt perfectly planted all the time, and in Normal mode it rode smooth as glass down the highway. What I'm saying here is that if it's within your budget and you want a car that is super comfortable as well as an absolute blast to drive, buy it. Make sure that the TEMS functions beforehand though, as it's about $1-1.2k in parts to fix if it is borked.

e: Just noticed that the mileage is below 100k, which is great, except that it means there is a chance the weak headgasket issue hasn't been dealt with yet, since IIRC it doesn't tend to show up until right around that mileage. Something else to keep in mind.

TEMS/(and that other stuff of the late eighties/early nineties) is basically an adjustable shock that you could adjust the dampening on. I wouldn't really call it that magical.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Octopus Magic posted:

TEMS/(and that other stuff of the late eighties/early nineties) is basically an adjustable shock that you could adjust the dampening on. I wouldn't really call it that magical.

I never said anything about it being "magical"? I just described how it drove in the different modes and let atomicthumbs know what to expect repair wise if he bought it.

It was the first car I ever drove that had an adjustable suspension from inside the car and I thought it was pretty cool. That kind of stuff didn't used to be so widespread either.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Don't forget GM used it in a ton of Caddys and the Corvette. Plus magneride... that was a pretty sweet system when it works right.

City17
Dec 3, 2006

Words fail me

Slideshow for even more pics: http://s1345.photobucket.com/user/lorrie002/slideshow/

SweetJuicyTaco
Jun 17, 2007
sour cream on my beef
Welp, that sure does look like Oklahoma.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
My name is Buck.

edit:
And I have a truck.

VideoTapir fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Apr 16, 2013

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Starting at the first page of that gallery, it's as if every picture gets more trollworthy and horrible than the previous. :suspense:

Edit: I would drive the ever living piss out of that truck with a straight face. Probably to coffee and cars.

Double edit: I feel the sudden need to know what happened to Grey Bull #1. Also if it was as horribly awesome as #2.

keykey fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Apr 16, 2013

Poisonlizard
Apr 1, 2007

SweetJuicyTaco posted:

Welp, that sure does look like Oklahoma.

Hey you take that....
Damnit, you're right.
Also, I have seen this monstrosity in town before.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

He managed to make a Ranger lame and terrible. How the gently caress is that even possible.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
This weeks special: Buy a car, Get a free title wash

http://knoxville.craigslist.org/cto/3743713722.html

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^
Only 1250 for all of that? What a bargain!

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Genuine gold, I can't recall the last time I saw a RWD Impulse.

http://louisville.craigslist.org/cto/3744974988.html

Only registered members can see post attachments!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Cat Terrist will tell you that those are huge turdpiles that managed to rust even in Australia.

fingerling
Mar 7, 2010

Q_res posted:

Genuine gold, I can't recall the last time I saw a RWD Impulse.

http://louisville.craigslist.org/cto/3744974988.html

No freaking way! I have literally never seen or heard of these things ever until Saturday night when I was in the city. I walked past and it had all these kickin' rad 80s decals over it stating awesome cool things like TURBO and INTERCOOLER and things... it was pretty cute.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Possible actual gold?

http://novascotia.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-1987-MERCEDES-BENZ-190E-2-3-V16-VERY-REAR-CAR-W0QQAdIdZ474385077QQfeaturedAdZtrue

I realize NA only got the detuned, heavy models, but still. Are the cosworth motor rebuilds into S14 "you probably can't afford it" territory?

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010
...$5000 for a 150HP 1987 Merc 2.3 with 100+ miles and that is real gold?

Just saying in that same price range:
04 CTS V6
97 BMW 740
96 Impala SS
04 Crown Vic
03 Saab 9-3 turbo

Best of all...this baby:

Lord Gaga fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Apr 17, 2013

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Its the car owned by John Voight!

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Lord Gaga posted:

...$5000 for a 150HP 1987 Merc 2.3 with 100+ miles and that is real gold?
For a Mercedes that is barely run in

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
100,000km, so 60k miles. And it's the 16v so 167hp/170ft-lbs. 16v has all the special body cladding, recaro seats, dogleg gearbox, recaro seats, LSD, etc.

Of course a cursory glance at 190rev shows that a bunch of parts are NLA so maybe not so gold. But I still want one.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

It's also VERY REAR and I must say I agree

I'm a fan of dat rear end.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

http://desmoines.craigslist.org/cto/3747829318.html

The extra T in Hot makes it better.

Also that 190e is loving bad rear end. Actually seems to be right in line with pricing... not quite as desirable as an E30 M3, but still a pretty brilliant car. Plus the engine sounds amazing, though I am a BMW fan.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

You Am I posted:

For an 80's or earlier Mercedes that is barely run in

FTFY

Raw_Beef
Jul 2, 2004

We know what you been up to and my advice on that little venture is to pack it in. It won't work. It will all end in tears.
http://moseslake.craigslist.org/cto/3742091484.html
85 Crysler Laser - $500

quote:

This car is in great shape except for the injectors. The car runs but has no power to go. If someone is mechanically salve then this is the car. There are only 129, 000 miles on the car, five speed and interior and exterior in good shape. I bought it from one owner in which I have all the paperwork starting from the sale of the car to now. I would like to fix it but do not have the funds or knowledge to fix it.

Oh drat, this is potential real Gold for me. Since buying a 85 turbo Laser in Feb, I've pretty much done everything that one might need to do in order to make one of these cars into a speedy little shitbox for really cheap. As long as the turbo, engine guts and gearbox are decent everything else is like 1/4th of the price of a modern car. The downside is theres only like 4 of every part left on the shelf according to Rockauto.

This is one of those deals where I'm carefully weighing out paying now and aquiring a spare engine and trans vs what that might cost in the eventuality that my originals break beyond repair. Given my history in buying multiples of the same car though, ill end up piddling away money on both to have two sub-standard rides.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Get it, then make one car to keep with all the good parts, get the other one running and sell it.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

You sure you're mechanically salve enough for such a project?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

The truck is unexceptional. The ad, on the other hand...

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Crustashio posted:

Of course a cursory glance at 190rev shows that a bunch of parts are NLA so maybe not so gold. But I still want one.

The guy who bought mine budgeted a few k for getting his 2.5 Evo motor. Which doesn't sound that expensive all told.

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007

atomicthumbs posted:

The truck is unexceptional. The ad, on the other hand...

I flagged these fucks every time I see them. Why yes, I was looking for a blahblahblah, please include your taurus/prelude/tempo/wrangler/gsxr/caferacer/doublewide/popuptenttrailer/lowmilescrownvic in my search, you are a marketing genius, I'm so glad you included these search terms, I would of never found what I was looking for without them!

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Pokey Araya posted:

I flagged these fucks every time I see them. Why yes, I was looking for a blahblahblah, please include your taurus/prelude/tempo/wrangler/gsxr/caferacer/doublewide/popuptenttrailer/lowmilescrownvic in my search, you are a marketing genius, I'm so glad you included these search terms, I would of never found what I was looking for without them!

I like the various laptops and "bitch" four lines down.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

BrokenKnucklez posted:

http://desmoines.craigslist.org/cto/3747829318.html

The extra T in Hot makes it better.

Also that 190e is loving bad rear end. Actually seems to be right in line with pricing... not quite as desirable as an E30 M3, but still a pretty brilliant car. Plus the engine sounds amazing, though I am a BMW fan.

Is this the one that kept bragging about how its an automatic E36 ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raw_Beef
Jul 2, 2004

We know what you been up to and my advice on that little venture is to pack it in. It won't work. It will all end in tears.
Is there some sort of magic at work here?

http://kpr.craigslist.org/cto/3725359061.html
Ok, so its not turbo or all that cool, but Something this clean is like rolling out of a time machine where Regan is still President and the Soviets are the Bad Guys and "Compact Disc" was high tech.

http://spokane.craigslist.org/cto/3750471355.html
This one is a little better in the go-fast department, though its in loving Bonner's Ferry Idaho and doesnt drive. An Omni GLH is faster than a Laser XT stock...

"Will trade for wood stove" gives me all i need to know about Bonner's Ferry Idaho.