Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Gatts posted:

I hate the new Star Trek mostly and also the designs. Ugly rear end ships and choices.

Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to go slingshot myself around the sun and go back to 1997 or some when around there.

I hope this next one is decent.

Why would you set yourself up to watch Insurrection again :smithicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

alg posted:

Why would you set yourself up to watch Insurrection again :smithicide:

You'd have the certain knowledge Tom Hardy would go on to better things I suupose.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

Regarde Aduck posted:

That sure does look old and boring. Much like you I imagine.

Laddy, don't you think you should rephrase that?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Pobama posted:

Phasers at high noon, gentlemen?

Please. Real men duel with neuronic whips.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

echoplex posted:

It DOES look like the Enterprise E. loving John Eaves.

Yeah that was going to be my comment. I loved the Galaxy, the E and the like. Comedy option, go into the future, go to the mirror universe, grab the E, come back and be like "Bitches, leave!"

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Tsk, all those fools who think the bad guy is really going to be Khan or whoever have clearly been suckered in by Abrams' campaign of disinformation. It's plainly obvious from that trailer that Cumberbatch is playing an evil, time-displaced, mirror universe Picard in command of the Evilprise E. :colbert:

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I really like the Bizarro-Enterprise in the new trailer. Seeing more of Earth is something I can do without because just go to loving space already, I can go outside and see that poo poo.

My dad always told me the Enterprise was built in space, and could never land on Earth because it is too fragile for the gravity(or something), I was really young at the time. Now JJ is ruining Dad-Cannon and I don't appreciate it one bit.

EDIT: I forgot about the motorcycle scene in the last movie where you can see cranes building the thing.

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Apr 17, 2013

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

ReV VAdAUL posted:

You'd have the certain knowledge Tom Hardy would go on to better things I suupose.

Tom Hardy was in Nemesis. No one in Insurrection went on to be a star. In fact I think they all killed themselves.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

FrensaGeran posted:

Tom Hardy was in Nemesis. No one in Insurrection went on to be a star. In fact I think they all killed themselves.

In fact, I feel like Insurrection was about the last time F. Murray Abraham tried to undo the Oscar jinx. It's all SyFy Channel original movies and the like now.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Jesus christ thats depressing.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

1st AD posted:

Jesus christ thats depressing.

Apparently Salieri takes it in stride:

Wikipedia posted:

Abraham's relatively low-profile film career subsequent to his Academy Award has been widely considered an example of the "Oscar jinx". According to film critic Leonard Maltin, professional failure following an early success is referred to in Hollywood circles as the "F. Murray Abraham syndrome".[11] Abraham rejected this notion and told Maltin:

The Oscar is the single most important event of my career. I have dined with kings, shared equal billing with my idols, lectured at Harvard and Columbia. If this is a jinx, I'll take two.

In the same interview, Abraham said:

Even though I won the Oscar, I can still take the subway in New York, and nobody recognizes me. Some actors might find that disconcerting, but I find it refreshing.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Oh I forgot that he was in a couple episodes of Homeland this season, so I suppose it's not all terrible shows.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Aatrek posted:

Uh, Eaves didn't design the JJ-Enterprise. That was Ryan Church; he probably did this Dreadnaught ship too.

Uh, Eaves did design the E-E, whose grim lineage and influence appears to live on in that shape. That was the point of my post.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Also, Eaves did design work on ST09. Not sure if he was involved in Into Darkness.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
My Rogue Section 31 agent mad about getting intel from Alpha Spock seems to be bearing out. The Dreadnought or whatever is built based on all the information from Spock's squidship.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Honestly Cumberbatch's character seems more like Javier Bardem's character in Skyfall than he does Khan or anything related to Khan. Former elite Starfleet operative out looking for revenge because of [macguffin], our plucky hero struggles to beat someone who is better/more seasoned/ahead at every step? Much more plausible than trying to tie in some Augments poo poo that nobody cares about.

I'm really not sure that the shot of the "cryo pods" in the trailers is even that.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

McDowell posted:

My Rogue Section 31 agent mad about getting intel from Alpha Spock seems to be bearing out. The Dreadnought or whatever is built based on all the information from Spock's squidship.

That'd be kind of neat. He steals poo poo from Nimoy-Spock's future and goes rogue. I'd like it if they incorporated Section 31, there's actually a good avenue to explore.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Plus Section 31 is definitely something from the Prime timeline that would feel more at home in the super duper serious JJUniverse.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Bringing in the Klingons even makes sense. Benedict brings them the information from Nimoy-Spock because he's an augment who is all spergy about the Temporal Prime Directive.

See you guys on the 17th :smug:

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I don't know much about comics but the last Countdown issue wasn't for sale in the app like two days ago but is available today.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Whatever they do I hope they continue to have Prime Spock and his presence continue to have repercussions rather than just shunt him off to apocrypha.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I think Spock would just look at how everything is hosed from the Narada anyway and decide it's more logical to just overtly work to prepare the Federation for coming threats. So maybe he'll pop up in another film meddling with events on purpose and accidentally cause a crisis.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
To this day I'm impressed but surprised that they bothered to explain the whole parallel universe thing. I mean, they could have just made a Star Trek movie with the TOS characters but not explained anything about it being a different timeline and I think people still would have eaten it up.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Let's be fair. Star Trek nerds are a special breed who would shred poo poo up, did anyway, etc. and Execs probably decided "Eh, let's try to bring them on board so do this parallel universe poo poo. Mo money." They'd be all "NOT MY KIRK!"

Hell, I'm a Trek fan and loving hate Trek 09 anyway outside of the cast. Although I don't care for parallel universe or my childhood murdered type poo poo too much.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

jivjov posted:

To this day I'm impressed but surprised that they bothered to explain the whole parallel universe thing. I mean, they could have just made a Star Trek movie with the TOS characters but not explained anything about it being a different timeline and I think people still would have eaten it up.

Red letter Media talks about this. Nerds wouldn't have accepted it at all. DEATH OF MY TREKS

09 was actually the beginning of my Trekiness. I immediately recognized that alternate timelines are a plot device one would expect in the series and liked the idea of using it to reboot the franchise.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

1st AD posted:

Honestly Cumberbatch's character seems more like Javier Bardem's character in Skyfall than he does Khan or anything related to Khan. Former elite Starfleet operative out looking for revenge because of [macguffin], our plucky hero struggles to beat someone who is better/more seasoned/ahead at every step? Much more plausible than trying to tie in some Augments poo poo that nobody cares about.

I'm really not sure that the shot of the "cryo pods" in the trailers is even that.
He seems to be genetically enhanced in some way based on how he fights in a few of those trailer shots.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I don't think the trek nerds were the intended audience though...are we really that big of a force that a plot point had to be scripted and Nimoy brought on in order to secure our dollars?

The group that would have decried the film if the had been no mention of parallel timeline can't be that massive...can it?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

jivjov posted:

I don't think the trek nerds were the intended audience though...are we really that big of a force that a plot point had to be scripted and Nimoy brought on in order to secure our dollars?

The group that would have decried the film if the had been no mention of parallel timeline can't be that massive...can it?

To be fair at that time I think with Trek waning and dormant as it was they probably wanted as much potential dollars as possible. Trek did get to nerdcore levels after TNG since the audiences dwindled.

Did they really have to? No. But I think a bone was tossed.

I'm disappointed they remade it into a forced actionfest without any substance.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

I think the alternate timeline thing was more to say to non-fans who were aware of the previous films and shows "no, you don't need to watch any of the previous stuff, none of it matters here", not so much for the generic hardcore Trekkie who would probably have just rolled with the punches on that.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Gatts posted:

Well I suppose you can be disappointed, but Star Trek killed itself in the TV realm. Without a film with popular appeal the Trek brand was a dead duck, because no one was going to risk any money on a new TV series. The built in viewer base for Trek loves to bitch and viewership for the last 2 series turned to poo poo and there's no guarantee that even with the best intentions a new series wouldn't blow donkey chunks. Having a turret blasty lens flare blockbuster pulled Trek out of the morgue and drastically increased the chances of future investment in a tv series.

Also, totally dug the blaster fest, both on a generic level and a "Better than the TNG movies" level. It may not be hardcore Trek, but it wasn't Insurrection or Nemesis.. and was a hell of a lot better than spending a few hours watching Enterprise or... ugh.. Voyager.

microwave casserole
Jul 5, 2005

my god, what are you doing
I like how the time travel stuff kind of turned Trek 09 into a movie about remakes.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

microwave casserole posted:

I like how the time travel stuff kind of turned Trek 09 into a movie about remakes.

Yeah, the meta aspect with Nero as an avatar of canon-obsessed rage was the best. I'm hoping Into Darkness has a similar consideration of the nature of the genre/cultural context/etc.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

epitasis posted:

I don't know much about comics but the last Countdown issue wasn't for sale in the app like two days ago but is available today.

You should buy them off comixology.com so they get the money and not Apple/Android. Also they are available whenever they are supposed to be.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

jivjov posted:

Trekkers weren't necessarily the primary intended audience, but they are a large and vocal group, and their good will would definitely help sell the reboot to its primary intended audience. Would Joe. Q. Moviegoer go see a Trek movie that even the Trekkers thought was bad?

Gatts posted:

There's a great deal of substance to ST09. Even if you disregard all the metacommentary on fandom, remakes and retcons, there's still all the stuff about how identity and destiny are formed.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I think the alternate timeline thing was more to say to non-fans who were aware of the previous films and shows "no, you don't need to watch any of the previous stuff, none of it matters here", not so much for the generic hardcore Trekkie who would probably have just rolled with the punches on that.

This is how I look at it, too. It also paves the way for any kind of future reboots on TV if that route is ever considered.

Great_Gerbil
Sep 1, 2006
Rhombomys opimus

PeterWeller posted:

Trekkers weren't necessarily the primary intended audience, but they are a large and vocal group, and their good will would definitely help sell the reboot to its primary intended audience. Would Joe. Q. Moviegoer go see a Trek movie that even the Trekkers thought was bad?

There's a great deal of substance to ST09. Even if you disregard all the metacommentary on fandom, remakes and retcons, there's still all the stuff about how identity and destiny are formed.

Trekkers needed to be on board. They still comprised the bulk of the target audience. ST09 was a huge risk, IMO. Trek fans have split off into weird "factions" that are often extremely hostile to one another. Just look at TrekBBS.

I cut my teeth with Next Gen, but I'm mildly curious when Trekkers began focusing on canon so narrowly. I could be wrong, but it's not a phenomenon I've noticed to this extent in other franchises.

For instance, the size "discrepancy" of the NuPrise. How many other franchises have people rationalizing something like that instead of accepting it and moving on? Instead Trekkers have compiled volumes comparing the sizes and shapes of the various prime and nu timeline ships.

Did people do that when The Motion Picture came out? It's virtually impossible that the Enterprise in TMP is a simple refit. It has similar components but they're completely different shapes. The ship would have had to be almost completely rebuilt from the keep up.

tl;dr It was necessary to bring existing Trek fans on board for the built-in audience. The alt universe chicanery was necessary because Trekkers are almost neurotic when it comes to small details.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
ANYHOW, general-release IMAX tickets should be on sale now for May 15th at 8PM. Glad I don't have to stay up for a midnight release this time around!

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters
I believe a lot of the flak is a stark dislike for J.J.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

All of the films are about old people being old and slow and Star Trek 2009 was the first Star Trek film about a young crew having adventures and they changed up the pace to be more like Star Wars to accommodate that and I guess people don't like their Star Trek to be about young people having adventures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Great_Gerbil posted:

Trekkers needed to be on board. They still comprised the bulk of the target audience. ST09 was a huge risk, IMO. Trek fans have split off into weird "factions" that are often extremely hostile to one another. Just look at TrekBBS.

I cut my teeth with Next Gen, but I'm mildly curious when Trekkers began focusing on canon so narrowly. I could be wrong, but it's not a phenomenon I've noticed to this extent in other franchises.

For instance, the size "discrepancy" of the NuPrise. How many other franchises have people rationalizing something like that instead of accepting it and moving on? Instead Trekkers have compiled volumes comparing the sizes and shapes of the various prime and nu timeline ships.

Did people do that when The Motion Picture came out? It's virtually impossible that the Enterprise in TMP is a simple refit. It has similar components but they're completely different shapes. The ship would have had to be almost completely rebuilt from the keep up.

tl;dr It was necessary to bring existing Trek fans on board for the built-in audience. The alt universe chicanery was necessary because Trekkers are almost neurotic when it comes to small details.

There are not many other franchises that have as much material spread out over as many years as Star Trek. And consider that from 1966 to 2005, 716 episodes in 30 seasons across 6 shows and 10 movies have all be a part of the same* continuity, for better or worse.

4 years later we get a reboot that is pretty drastically different than the original material. Of course it's going to polarizing.

I have seen several people nitpick the size of the TOS Enterprise and the Enterprise Refit from the movies. It's one of those things that you just kind of have to accept, but nerds love to nitpick.

* assuming that you consider The Animated Series to be part of the same continuity, which there is no real reason not to except that Richard H. Arnold said that it's not.

• Locked thread