Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

RentACop posted:

I haven't been keeping up with anything so apologies; apparently we're going to see the Stannis/Bolton brouhaha in the next book, but, we already know he's going to lose, so why show it?

Best use of a vague pronoun that I've seen a while. 10/10 points.

Why show anything in book 4? Because we'll buy it, that's why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

rypakal posted:

Why show anything in book 4? Because we'll buy it, that's why.

Was kinda hoping the answer would be something like "A detailed reading of AFfC ADwD reveals inconsistencies that show Ramsay's letter could only have been written before the battle. Harrumph."

Azor Ahai of my heart :smith:

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

RentACop posted:

Was kinda hoping the answer would be something like "A detailed reading of AFfC ADwD reveals inconsistencies that show Ramsay's letter could only have been written before the battle. Harrumph."

Azor Ahai of my heart :smith:

I think you missed the sarcasm in the first part of my post. You said "Stannis/Bolton" and then said "he's going to lose." Which he?

Don't tell me you've started trusting ravens from ramsey bolton?

rypakal fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Apr 18, 2013

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
Its more like "having a brain" says that Stannis cant possibly lose the battle of Winterfell because half of the Bolton army is planning to kill the other half of the Bolton army, and Stan the man has advance warning of Roose's big trump card of the I think Karstark men being turncloaks.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

rypakal posted:

I think you missed the sarcasm in the first part of my post. You said "Stannis/Bolton" and then said "he's going to lose." Which he?
:stare:

quote:

Don't tell me you've started trusting ravens from ramsey bolton?
:ohdear:

run DNC posted:

Its more like "having a brain" says that Stannis cant possibly lose the battle of Winterfell because half of the Bolton army is planning to kill the other half of the Bolton army.

I dunno, they've been getting worked over by the blizzard pretty hard, and it seemed like even assuming they had Manderly they were going to be outnumbered

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

GRRM likes his history.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Ice

We know Bolton has left to meet Stannis on the field. They'll fight to a stalemate or a slow Bolton victory, Stannis' northmen reinforcements arrive, Ramsey's army retreat to regroup, ice breaks and they drown.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah, I feel like the Battle of Winterfell would be the time for Howland Reed to show up with his Crannogmen so he could finally explain poo poo.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Needs more secret Reeds, 's'truth.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

The dusky woman is a secret Reed, specifically Howland's wife who's going to try to scope out Dany and possibly win her over to the North's side.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

There is no Howland Reed. He's been one of Ned's split personalities all along.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

There is no Howland Reed. He's been one of Ned's split personalities all along.

I was gonna say something about Bran/Meera but it's GURM so yeah

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009
Reading this read has made me glad that I gave up on GURM halfway through A Feast for Neeps. I wonder when the mainstream readers and critics will call his bluff and realize the series is not about some great plot unraveling, but a personal outlet for dick-flaying and dog-loving fantasies.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Shoehead posted:

I was gonna say something about Bran/Meera but it's GURM so yeah

Not even GRRMiness, man. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetic_attraction

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

run DNC posted:

Its more like "having a brain" says that Stannis cant possibly lose the battle of Winterfell because half of the Bolton army is planning to kill the other half of the Bolton army, and Stan the man has advance warning of Roose's big trump card of the I think Karstark men being turncloaks.

It's more like this is still ASOIAF, so the battle will likely manage to kill Stannis, along with the important Boltons, Karstarks and Manderlys. Then we can wait a whole book before anything else happens in the North.

Fiendish_Ghoul
Jul 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 142 days!

Intel&Sebastian posted:

gently caress, I saw Misfits on this page and was hoping someone traveled through time to get them to do a cover song for GOT.

ASOIAF horror-punk would let me die a happy nerd.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

These Loving Eyes posted:

Reading this read has made me glad that I gave up on GURM halfway through A Feast for Neeps. I wonder when the mainstream readers and critics will call his bluff and realize the series is not about some great plot unraveling, but a personal outlet for dick-flaying and dog-loving fantasies.

I don't think that many have realized it yet, but when death comes nearer he will be more open about it. Just like his master Robert Jordan, whose last book was filled with barely legal lesbian spanking.

Undead Unicorn
Sep 14, 2010

by Lowtax

run DNC posted:

How the gently caress does Ramasy know about Lightbringer then? Or why would ask John to hand over fake Ayara?

Then again why would Roose let him write that dumbass letter? How the gently caress would everything go so well when everyone in the castle wants to kill each other and Stannis knows what Bolton's plan is?

I think everyone got hosed in that battle hard. Stannis, Bolton, Freys, ect.

chellesandcheese
Jul 12, 2005

Undead Unicorn posted:

How the gently caress does Ramasy know about Lightbringer then? Or why would ask John to hand over fake Ayara?

Then again why would Roose let him write that dumbass letter? How the gently caress would everything go so well when everyone in the castle wants to kill each other and Stannis knows what Bolton's plan is?

He's done readings of Theon chapters from the next books and Stannis hasn't gone to the battle yet, right?

Or am I wrong on that?

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
The leading consensus is that it is a fake letter sent by either Mance, Benjen, Syrio Forel, or Jaqen.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

Its a fake letter from Bowen Marsh.

I Love Loosies
Jan 4, 2013

Undead Unicorn posted:

What is most likely I think is that Ramsay tortured Mance. Mance told him about Lightbringer and that the Plan was to bring "Arya" to Jon Snow. Stannis being killed is just a lie. The battle didn't happen yet. Roose couldn't stop Ramsay from writing the Letter because everything in Winterfell goes to poo poo.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

run DNC posted:

Its a fake letter from Bowen Marsh.
Well yeah, but only because Ned warged into him.

stawk Archer
Jun 19, 2004

by angerbot
I wish the show gave more of an impression that Robb was winning a lot of battles and not just acting pissed and marrying a bitch that looks like a junkie.
I hope they have some funny 'watch my girlfriend react to Robb dying' youtubes

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

Urdnot Fire posted:

Well yeah, but only because Ned warged into him.

Its not that dumb of an idea. Marsh was looking for a way to get Jon to break his vows. Marsh loves to call Jon bastard. Marsh could know that Mance didnt really burn.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

Needs more Fedodor:

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
Not enough Mountain Dew bottles.

C+

Hey, guys. How's this thread going? I just got done with a poo poo ton of projects.

thornghost
Oct 11, 2010

I have a picture of me with GRRM. He looks less than enthused.

Hodora is excellent, right down to the Cheeto dust. He could use a smartphone that was logged into Reddit though.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

stawk Archer posted:

I wish the show gave more of an impression that Robb was winning a lot of battles and not just acting pissed and marrying a bitch that looks like a junkie.

Well, Robb really isn't winning that many battles. There's the handful of engagements around Riverrun some time ago, and then his campaign in the west around the crag, but I don't know that that really happened in the show.

If we look at our real history, even winning in two big battles is a pretty major accomplishment. Large battles were exceedingly rare because they were so damned risky.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
What was the deal with the Ironborn on that swamp castle?

There was some impenetrable fortress thing and I think it was an Asha chapter or something.

Where did that fit in?

stawk Archer
Jun 19, 2004

by angerbot

PittTheElder posted:

Well, Robb really isn't winning that many battles. There's the handful of engagements around Riverrun some time ago, and then his campaign in the west around the crag, but I don't know that that really happened in the show.

If we look at our real history, even winning in two big battles is a pretty major accomplishment. Large battles were exceedingly rare because they were so damned risky.

I always took it that the Blackfish was the one who was behind the campaign's success, so he let the king be the face of it while he was doing most of the planning. I think he'll be back as a character, especially now that they introduced him into the show.

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

What was the deal with the Ironborn on that swamp castle?

There was some impenetrable fortress thing and I think it was an Asha chapter or something.

Where did that fit in?

They took Greywater Watch from the Reed clan and lost the initiative to irregular tactics. Now they're hosed and without any supplies or medicine. Plus there's the flux, which would gently caress up any army that stayed in place too long.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
They took Moat Cailin, not Greywater Watch.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!
It might be that I'm simple, but I find these hilarious, especially the Cersei one.

From here, though most of the rest of them aren't as good. Ned and Robb are both OK.
http://faramircaptainofgondor.tumblr.com/tagged/minimalistasoiaf*

EDIT: The Myrcella one was a hugely missed opportunity. An ear should have fallen off of the lion.

Mnemosyne fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Apr 19, 2013

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
Yeah, y'all are thinking of Moat Cailin which belongs to the Glovers. Greywater March is impossible to find because it moves or something. Howland's moving castle if you will.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

~*MyLiTtLeBrAnNy*~~

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Contra Calculus posted:

Greywater March is impossible to find because it moves or something. Howland's moving castle if you will.
Like the island from :lost:.

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

Joramun posted:

So Melisandre is Howland's mom?

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

Joramun posted:

No, like Christian Bales castle in Howls Moving Castle, silly.

bigmcgaffney fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Apr 19, 2013

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
I think it's more that the castle does not exist because they are poor swamp folk who live in hammocks and poo poo but if you try to find it they will go Vietcong on your rear end so don't even bother.

edit: I like the idea of the Baba Yaga castle though so w/e.

The Mutato
Feb 23, 2011

Neil deGrasse Highson
Can someone please link the video with Jaime's gold hand knocking over the cup? I forgot the name and now it's buried under a billion GoT clips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lz3lAd2nGQ