Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

I thought the subs were par for the course when it comes to "first out the gate" anime subs. Had no problem understanding what was going on and most of the errors were of the "there/their/you're/your" variety than downright failures to get the point across. The film itself was great. Probably tied with Baron Omatsuri for my favourite One Piece film, though for totally different reasons.

It succeeded where Strong World failed insofar as it felt like an enrichment of the OP canon while managing not to do anything that tread on the manga's toes. The ending actually ended up making me regret that Z was a movie canon character and not part of the main story. It just ended up increasing my desire for some kind of gaiden story involving the pre-Pirate Era days with young Garp, Sengoku, Roger and Whitebeard up to their usual poo poo.

What I really loved too was that the film had almost no "fluff" characters - it focused almost entirely on the Strawhats and Aokiji vs the Neo Navy with two random townspeople serving as "here's your badass finale armor/guns" deus ex machina.

The level of fanservice was pretty disturbing, though - there's a shot within the first five minutes that is just a straight up close up of Nami's bouncing tits among other unashamed camera angles. At least Nami and Robin actually fought in this movie!

One thing that bothered me though - at the start, the Sunny gets hosed up pretty bad by Z and Franky just patches it up with random wood? I thought it was supposed to be made out of Adam, the Super Duper Indestructible Tree?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Pretty sure it's just the Keel that's made of Adam Wood.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG
I was a bit disturbed by Sanji's desire to pervertedly watch Nami grow from a child into a woman.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!
Franky's faces as Chopper are amazing. Not just the smile, but literally every face he makes in this episode is amazing. I didn't notice if he was doing it earlier, but drat. I'd take some screencaps if I knew where to get HQ raws.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Chopper's bit in the the Z credits where it shows people as kids was just the best. Just a reindeer with a blue nose staring at the camera. Also nice of them to take the time to get a Nami and Robin anti-reaction shot to Franky's robot antics.

Didn't like the evil villain plan though. Of all the movies it's got to be the dumbest idea that I'm glad will never get brought up again.

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!
I really enjoyed Film Z. I think the story kinda jumped the shark near the end and Ain and Binz were kinda worthless but over all it was a good flick. Had some cool battle scenes, got to see Aokiji and Borsalino doin stuff, and the end reveal of how Z got his name, HERO OF JUSTICE, was the best.

Over all it was one of the better One Piece movies.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Watched Film Z. Loved it. Best movie so far.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
My only problem with it was the New World Doomsday plan, it wasn't needed since everyone still had perfectly good reasons to show up and have a good ol' fashioned brawl and it was silly. Hell, the anime tie in episodes showed that the Marines and the Neo Marines were already antagonistic and the movie opened with a fight between the two.

Also the New World Doomsday plan seems like the type of absolute dickery that Akainu would be down with instead of being pissed at.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Gyges posted:

My only problem with it was the New World Doomsday plan, it wasn't needed since everyone still had perfectly good reasons to show up and have a good ol' fashioned brawl and it was silly. Hell, the anime tie in episodes showed that the Marines and the Neo Marines were already antagonistic and the movie opened with a fight between the two.

Also the New World Doomsday plan seems like the type of absolute dickery that Akainu would be down with instead of being pissed at.

Yeah but there needs to be more at stake than Luffy's hat.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Not for the Strawhats, and with Akainu in charge just challenging the navy should have been enough. If you need to, have Z take over one of the Marine New World bases.

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!
http://imgur.com/a/zsRKC

Here is an album of my favorite stills from the new opening. Included is the first scene that is drawn in and then the four color spreads that were animated. All pics were taken from a 720p rip.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
The end of the movie had some of the important characters in the series de-aged (Marines, 7 Warlords, ect)

Probably my favorite part of the movie actually.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Gyges posted:

Pretty sure it's just the Keel that's made of Adam Wood.

Not sure if this is considered a manga spoiler since it dates back to the introduction of the Sunny, but just to be safe: there is a diagram that Oda drew of the Sunny for either a volume release or one of the info books which shows a compartment full of back-up wood from the Adam tree, specifically for patching things up.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
I enjoyed the movie, but did it really have to end with an Avril Lavigne cover of a Nickelback song? :stare:

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!

Nechronic posted:

I enjoyed the movie, but did it really have to end with an Avril Lavigne cover of a Nickelback song? :stare:

At least it was in the credits and not during the film itself.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Just saw the movie.

Hey, remember when Movie 7 came out and Nami and Robin both had ridiculous balloon boobs that were obviously meant to be jokes poking fun at Oda for his ladies all getting bigger busts over the previous two years?

Yeah, they did that again, only it's not a joke this time and actually really creepy. Like, I'm not normally one to be creeped out by fan service in anime, but when Nami and Robin both turned back to normal the way the camera was super zoomed in on their boobs, butts and waists just really creeped me out.

But that was like, one minute out of a 100 minute movie, the rest of which was pretty drat good. Not amazing or anything, but this movie's got some of the best fight scenes in the series and every scene with the crew interacting with each other is pure gold. Mostly it was just really great to see decent colour art and animation in One Piece again, cause the weekly show has fallen behind on that aspect a lot more than I realized until I saw this movie and remembered, yeah, yeah that's what animation's supposed to look like.

Overall, thumbs up, highly recommended for One Piece fans, moderately recommended for anime fans.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
You know, I think I figured out what makes me hate the Bond Villain plan so much. Luffy doesn't give a poo poo about it. This is one of those cases where he should give a poo poo, like Strong World. But nope, not a single poo poo. He got his hat, so do whatever you want, guy. No one cares about One Piece, Adventures, Shanks, or any other Luffy friends who happen to be in the New World.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
My Verdict: A pretty cool movie. Animation was pretty great, filled with cameos, interesting characters, the lot.

My biggest gripe with the movie is that it moves at such a quick pace that it's kinda hard to grasp whats going on at times. Zoro and Sanji's fights were so fast and short that it was kinda hard to tell what was even happening, or like how they set sail for the enemy island and within seconds were blowing up enemy warships.

Also, getting to see Brook as a kid was pretty cool.

Anyway, I still think it's a pretty fun movie. I think I liked Strong World better, though.

The Divine Orator
Dec 31, 2008

Getter into the Future, Ryouma-Chan~
Probably going to wait until some more solid subs come out, but the impressions coming from the thread are making me pretty excited. As a manga only reader for some time, what are the tie in episodes from the anime like? I remember the strong world prelude being a bit of a non-event at the end of the day, but I've heard that these have been pretty solid as far as filler goes. Are they worth a view to get pumped up for the film?

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

The Divine Orator posted:

Probably going to wait until some more solid subs come out, but the impressions coming from the thread are making me pretty excited. As a manga only reader for some time, what are the tie in episodes from the anime like? I remember the strong world prelude being a bit of a non-event at the end of the day, but I've heard that these have been pretty solid as far as filler goes. Are they worth a view to get pumped up for the film?

No.

The first episode does introduce an interesting character and set-up, but the next three do nothing interesting with either and it turns out insultingly stupid by the end. Watch Adventures on Hand Island instead if you want to get pumped up for the Film Z.

EDIT: vvv Alpacaccino is pretty awesome.

SatansBestBuddy fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Apr 16, 2013

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

SatansBestBuddy posted:

No.

The first episode does introduce an interesting character and set-up, but the next three do nothing interesting with either and it turns out insultingly stupid by the end. Watch Adventures on Hand Island instead if you want to get pumped up for the Film Z.

These are the words of someone who doesn't appreciate the awesomeness of Alpacaccino. How very sad.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Nechronic posted:

Oda is a really big Avril Lavigne fan (no joke) and she's married to the guy from Nickleback, so I guess that's how it happened.

dazoner
May 17, 2006

White People!
Just watched movie 11. I enjoyed it more than I thought. The stylized use of observation Haki had a real History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi vibe. That was pretty awesome.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

dazoner posted:

Just watched movie 11. I enjoyed it more than I thought. The stylized use of observation Haki had a real History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi vibe. That was pretty awesome.

What was the stylization that you're referring to?

And I didn't realize it before the movie, but using hardening haki actually changes your skin to black. I always thought it was just a visual effect for the audience.

dazoner
May 17, 2006

White People!
Pupils would turn pink and there would be short little lines coming out of them to indicate they knew what was coming next.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

dazoner posted:

Just watched movie 11.

It's actually movie 12. :ssh:

The easy way to remember is that One Piece movies are released every year starting in 2001, and since Film Z came out in 2012, that makes it movie 12.

KoB
May 1, 2009

dazoner posted:

Pupils would turn pink and there would be short little lines coming out of them to indicate they knew what was coming next.

Speaking of Haki, I like that the monster trio all knew when he woke up, and that hes a badass.

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="414548468"]

And I didn't realize it before the movie, but using hardening haki actually changes your skin to black. I always thought it was just a visual effect for the audience.

He is referring to this.

I loved how they did the Conqueror's Haki personally.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Mountain Lightning posted:

I loved how they did the Conqueror's Haki personally.

Nope wrong worst effect so overdone what was wrong with eying a group of people and having them pass out from sheer badassness what's all this pink energy bullshit ugk and bluck only scene I thought would have been better if the budget wasn't so big.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="414548468"]

I think using Color of Armament haki to protect yourself or safely harm fruit users is different from CoA hardening. Hardening makes it black, the other stuff is what we saw before the timeskip and it's invisible.

Probably.

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

I think using Color of Armament haki to protect yourself or safely harm fruit users is different from CoA hardening. Hardening makes it black, the other stuff is what we saw before the timeskip and it's invisible.

Probably.

I thought it was only black for Luffy because that's the color of galvanized rubber. I didn't realize it happened for everyone.

Astro Ambulance
Dec 25, 2008

Maybe it turns black for Luffy and Z because they are more skilled in it's use? Or maybe the people making the movie thought it would be cool.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Astro Ambulance posted:

Maybe it turns black for Luffy and Z because they are more skilled in it's use? Or maybe the people making the movie thought it would be cool.

Nope. They added a lot of effects for the movie but I'm pretty sure the black coloration is a universal thing for Armament Haki.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Nope wrong worst effect so overdone what was wrong with eying a group of people and having them pass out from sheer badassness what's all this pink energy bullshit ugk and bluck only scene I thought would have been better if the budget wasn't so big.

This post is terrifying.

I though it was a nice touch.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I like the way the anime does it better too. Sort of an air blast exploding out from whoever is using it. The movie makes it look like a charged up pink bubble that then bursts.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Drakkel posted:

Nope. They added a lot of effects for the movie but I'm pretty sure the black coloration is a universal thing for Armament Haki.

I like the movie's Armament Haki way more than the main show's. Honestly, when he first used it in the show, I was disappointed how bad I thought it looked, but the movie looked really cool. I wish they would switch.

I also like, but didn't notice until some posted about it, the Observation Haki. I think it is a good way to visualize that the Haki is being used and looks cool.

I don't remember the Conquer's Haki in the movie. I saw the movie a few months ago, does anyone have a gif?

Shadow0 fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Apr 19, 2013

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Here's a lovely cam video of it from youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GE1MaLWUY8

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Maybe it's just me but, we didn't need a special effect to know that the Skypieas were using mantra and such. Maybe when it comes to telling where people are, or when someone wakes up and stuff, you can have the crew say something, or occasionally say what someone's move is gonna be beforehand Joseph Joestar style, but I just assume that anyone capable of it is just using Observation all the time.

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."
Yeah I much prefer speedlines on the edge of the screen to signify conqueror's haki. Since it's pretty much an exertion of will it doesn't need flash effects to show it in action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
I think my favourite little detail in Film Z is how when Luffy is getting his rear end handed to him at the end he goes all limp and noodly. Its cool because what we know of how the Gomu Gomu powers work Luffy has to actually hold himself solid, so it's cool that he can't do it so well when he is beat to poo poo.

Edit: is the kid with the sword in the credits meant to be Mihawk? I only managed to ID Kizaru because he was next to the other two admirals. Little Doflamingo is such a pimp.

Gyges posted:

Chopper's bit in the the Z credits where it shows people as kids was just the best. Just a reindeer with a blue nose staring at the camera.
No lie, I laughed for a solid three minutes. Even reading your post didn't prepare me. It's weird how aside from Brook we've seen every other Strawhat as a kid in story already, in flashbacks and such.

Rohan Kishibe fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Apr 19, 2013