Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

n8r posted:

You linked two different generations of bikes and the 2010 is an S model which has an MSRP of 20k.

I completly missed that one is a 1100S and the other is a 1200S and completly different bikes in more ways than 100cc. Italian bikes confuse me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Common confusion; all bikes - except for Italian ones - are no different than old Harleys and Nortons, but with different displacements. Those frisky Italians do occasionally change up their platforms; buyer beware.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

ElMaligno posted:

I completly missed that one is a 1100S and the other is a 1200S and completly different bikes in more ways than 100cc. Italian bikes confuse me.

I'd think the whole completely different bodywork and appearance might give it away.

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011
Hey, was wondering if I could get a lead or two on good bikes in my area from the fine people here.

I'm a relatively inexperienced rider (Roughly 6 months off and on with a scooter, haven't been riding since last October though) and looking to get into a new bike that I can rely on for day to day travel most likely including highway travel.

I'm in Texas, San Marcos though if I am fairly sure a bike is good in the Austin/San Antonio area I'll go take a look at it. I'm open to suggestions for body type and such but my main requirements are relative comfort over moderate (100-200 miles) distances and the ability to safely maintain highway speed (70-80 MPH) for 2500 or less, though leaning at a lowball of 1500-2000.

Also I have a love for standard/cruiser bikes. I'm a short dude (5'5") so sportbike seating is actually higher than the length of my legs and I'd be tiptoeing.

edit: I also realize it may be nigh impossible to find something like this, so just generally good bikes around the price range for me to look at would be awesome too

ArbitraryTA fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Apr 16, 2013

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
You seem to be describing a Vulcan 800 or a SV650. And for what it's worth, unless you're still shaky with keeping it upright at stoplights, I don't know how concerned about flat footing you need to be.

ArcticZombie
Sep 15, 2010
I'm going to be getting my A2 bike licence (UK). This means I can ride a bike up to 47hp. Now, I can get a bike under that or I can get a bigger bike (up to 94hp) restricted. Does anyone know how they would perform when restricted? If they're going to be really sluggish would I be better off getting say, a Ninja 250R?

This is my first "real" bike and my budget is around £2000, I could stretch a little if need be. I'm a big lover of naked bikes.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie

ArbitraryTA posted:

I'm in Texas, San Marcos though if I am fairly sure a bike is good in the Austin/San Antonio area I'll go take a look at it. I'm open to suggestions for body type and such but my main requirements are relative comfort over moderate (100-200 miles) distances and the ability to safely maintain highway speed (70-80 MPH) for 2500 or less, though leaning at a lowball of 1500-2000.

Also I have a love for standard/cruiser bikes. I'm a short dude (5'5") so sportbike seating is actually higher than the length of my legs and I'd be tiptoeing.

You should be reasonably concerned with flat footing regardless of experience. Unless you like getting embarrassed by the smallest of inclines making you grunt and huff and puff to push the bike around.

Any 700cc cruiser with 5 or more gears will foot that bill. As well as most 500 class and all 600 class sport standards.

The only limiting factor is your budget. See what's even in the range around your local Cycletrader and Craigslist for that.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Halo_4am posted:

You should be reasonably concerned with flat footing regardless of experience. Unless you like getting embarrassed by the smallest of inclines making you grunt and huff and puff to push the bike around.

I don't ever experience huffing and puffing to push the bike around (33" seat/30" inseam). On the rare occasion I need to muscle it around because I planned poorly while putting in a spot, I just move it while standing next to it.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

clutchpuck posted:

You seem to be describing a Vulcan 800 or a SV650. And for what it's worth, unless you're still shaky with keeping it upright at stoplights, I don't know how concerned about flat footing you need to be.

I'm going to say a SV650 is not recommended if you're 5'5". Maybe a GS500 would be better, I remember mine sat pretty low and comfy. SV650 was definitely more of a stretch to get down to the ground at first, and I'm 5' 10".

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011
So I found this

http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/mcd/3741671323.html

This is a pretty thing. Gonna be checking it out tomorrow or the next day most likely.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

ArcticZombie posted:

I'm going to be getting my A2 bike licence (UK). This means I can ride a bike up to 47hp. Now, I can get a bike under that or I can get a bigger bike (up to 94hp) restricted. Does anyone know how they would perform when restricted? If they're going to be really sluggish would I be better off getting say, a Ninja 250R?

This is my first "real" bike and my budget is around £2000, I could stretch a little if need be. I'm a big lover of naked bikes.

You're better off undershooting than overshooting and restricting IMO. Having said that the old licensing rules left a pretty massive gap between the learner-legal 125s and the 600s - at that sort of price you could probably pick up an old 500 learner bike (ER-5, GS500, CB500) which were all 45hp and pretty bulletproof, if dull as hell, and all available naked.

TBH I wouldn't expend too much effort or money on an A2 bike, especially if it's your first, because a) you'll drop it, b) you'll almost certainly want to get an unrestricted license later, and c) you'll *definitely* drop it.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Coredump posted:

I'm going to say a SV650 is not recommended if you're 5'5". Maybe a GS500 would be better, I remember mine sat pretty low and comfy. SV650 was definitely more of a stretch to get down to the ground at first, and I'm 5' 10".

If you're 5'5" I can't think of many worthwhile bikes that WOULD come recommended from a "I have to flat foot it with both feet" perspective. I am also 5'10", the SV650 feels tiny to me with its low seat height and narrow saddle. I just think unless you're new to it and need that extra security of having both heels on the ground, you needn't worry an awful lot about flat-footing.

Besides all that, the GS500 seat height is about 1cm lower than the SV650. That's negligible.

ArbitraryTA posted:

So I found this

http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/mcd/3741671323.html

This is a pretty thing. Gonna be checking it out tomorrow or the next day most likely.

Those are pretty solid. Model, miles, and price line up to be a pretty decent buy on that one, assuming the title is clean and there aren't any problems with it.

A little off the topic, but I like talking about motorcycles so what the gently caress - Kawasaki made a pretty neat little production Indian tribute out of the Vulcan 800. It's called the Drifter, and it looks sweet:

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Apr 16, 2013

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011
Yeah I would die for a Drifter but unfortunately no such luck. The bike I showed is from a small dealer in the area who specializes in repair and maintenance but they buy used bikes for resale. They generally have 5 to 10 sitting out front to sell, some of which the owner repaired himself. The one I showed looks like it might have gotten laid down because the stock pipes on the 800 are chrome but those are a matte black.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

ArbitraryTA posted:

Yeah I would die for a Drifter but unfortunately no such luck. The bike I showed is from a small dealer in the area who specializes in repair and maintenance but they buy used bikes for resale. They generally have 5 to 10 sitting out front to sell, some of which the owner repaired himself. The one I showed looks like it might have gotten laid down because the stock pipes on the 800 are chrome but those are a matte black.

If that's the only evidence that it was laid down I wouldn't worry. A lot of people change pipes on their bikes.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/mcy/3737934931.html

Ah man I need this. I wanna say it smells suspicious but it really doesn't.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I'm like 90% that that's Spiff's old bike. Buy it.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I just sent an email asking if he wanted to trade for a Bandit. :v:

I may take out a small loan and get it. I don't think I'll find a better deal.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Z3n posted:

I'm like 90% that that's Spiff's old bike. Buy it.

Missing the wheels and all the burn marks on the pipe & header from the pants and backpacks it ruined. Plus mine was a 09.

...sigh...

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Why'd you sell it?

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.
Man you guys really go nuts for those KTMs. I really got find one to hop onto to see what the fuss is all about.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Xovaan posted:

Why'd you sell it?

Because I felt bad for putting so many commuting miles on it and I was having a hard time behaving on the street (too much hooliganism) and was worried about losing my license if I ever got caught riding the bike like I liked to ride it. Plus rumors of a new one on the horizon... I planned to offload it, take a break and buy the new one when it came out. KTM delayed that two years in the US though.

So I sold it, and my Ducati and bought a track bike and dirt bike instead and now I get my kicks in enviroments that aren't going to land me in big boy trouble.

I will always miss the 690 though. I might pick up a Duke R soon and see if I've matured since last time...

FlerpNerpin fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Apr 17, 2013

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

When I asked about the R model, the guy at the dealership laughed at me :( "Why would they dare bring those here" :saddowns:

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

AH, I guess you're right. I thought they'd confirmed the R but just the 'base model' one. Well then, that's good news for my pocket book! For a bit longer at least.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Spiffness posted:

Missing the wheels and all the burn marks on the pipe & header from the pants and backpacks it ruined. Plus mine was a 09.

...sigh...

Ahh, thats right. The burn marks on the header eventually came off but you're right, wrong year.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Coredump posted:

Say what? I'm 5'5" too. If flat footing was important, about half of the bikes designed with cornering in mind would be off limits to me, and all of the enduro bikes.

I ride them just fine. And i'm not the only person who does that. Sometimes it takes a little planning. But you shouldn't limit yourself to bikes you can flat foot. I will say getting toes down on both sides helps.

... me riding a KLR650 is hilarious. And to kickstart my WR250... well I"m glad I'm flexible.

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011
So chances are I'm gonna be getting that Vulcan and riding it back up from San Antonio. For the price, it's the absolute best thing for what I need that I've been able to find. Here's hoping it's still there tomorrow when I have the money together.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Nerobro posted:

... me riding a KLR650 is hilarious.

Do you strike a "Captain Morgan" pose at stoplights?

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

clutchpuck posted:

Do you strike a "Captain Morgan" pose at stoplights?

I hadn't thought of it that way. But yes, exactly. AT least on a KLR or WR. Most bikes I just toes down.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I feel like taking off from a one-foot-down Captain Morgan pose is doing it "like a boss".

yergacheffe
Jan 22, 2007
Whaler on the moon.

Nerobro posted:

I hadn't thought of it that way. But yes, exactly. AT least on a KLR or WR. Most bikes I just toes down.

How do you manage stops on the KLR? I'm 5'6" and I have trouble setting a single toe down on a DRZ400SM, which is supposed to be about 1.5" shorter than a KLR650. Do you just have the suspension set to sag a lot?

As for ArbitraryTA, I'll say as a short dude who started riding less than six months ago that it's not completely necessary to be able to flat foot a bike. It's nice early on when your riding confidence is low, but I think within a month you should be comfortable with it. I learned on an '03 SV650, which happens to be the tallest version of the bike and I can only put my toes down at a stop. However, if I tilt the bike slightly I'm able to put one foot completely flat on the ground which I find more comfortable/less silly looking. The only issues I've had are trying to reverse the bike into a parking spot since my strides are so short while tip-toeing and dropping the bike after doing an emergency brake because my front suspension compressed a lot while braking and then rebounded suddenly when I finally stopped. The rebound caused the front to go up higher than I was used to and I lost my footing.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

yergacheffe posted:

How do you manage stops on the KLR? I'm 5'6" and I have trouble setting a single toe down on a DRZ400SM, which is supposed to be about 1.5" shorter than a KLR650. Do you just have the suspension set to sag a lot?

Nero is very effective at pre-loading the suspension.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Could be worse than being short, at least you fit when the bike is moving which is most of the time. I can flat foot anything but when i ride a 250 Ninja I look like a giant preying mantis.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
It's really easy to get a lowering link and drop the forks a touch on something like an SV, if it's a make or break issue.

azzenco
Jan 16, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Short crew checking in. Would it be easy to lower a 2013 CBR250R? I sat on one and I can only get one foot on the ground but if it could get a bit lower I'd be comfortable/feel safe. I'd like a sport bike but if I have to get a cruiser, well, that's OK too. Sticking with Honda because I get a family discount.

Just got my license and this is my first bike. I'm getting a new bike because of the discount.

e: The Honda Rebel looks like a winner.

azzenco fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Apr 18, 2013

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

azzenco posted:

Short crew checking in. Would it be easy to lower a 2013 CBR250R? I sat on one and I can only get one foot on the ground but if it could get a bit lower I'd be comfortable/feel safe. I'd like a sport bike but if I have to get a cruiser, well, that's OK too. Sticking with Honda because I get a family discount.

Just got my license and this is my first bike. I'm getting a new bike because of the discount.

Honda Rebel isn't a bad thought, provided you are under ~5'8". MSF course I took had one, and I sat on it just to get a feel for it. I'm 5'11", and my legs were uncomfortable to the point of hurting. Mind you, this was the end of the first day of riding, so anything involving the legs was a bit rough.

Don't know about the other; I'm still quite new.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

yergacheffe posted:

The KLR in particular I rode was set up for a 300+ pound guy. It was.. challenging at stops. I would get my shifting done before I stopped, slide off to the left side and get ready to get my foot down. My right foot wasn't on the peg anymore.

I can't say I'd recommend doing what I did. But it was a lot of fun riding a tractor.

n8r posted:

Nero is very effective at pre-loading the suspension.
My gravity technique will collapse all suspensions!

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

azzenco posted:

Oof. There are learner bikes and learner bikes. The Honda Rebel is a turd of a 250, barely fast enough for the highway. I hate to say you'd get bored with it because there are people who are fine with being on a 250 forever, but I would go ahead and say that it would actually be unsafe or at the least uncomfortable on the highway because of it's lack of power. The SUVs and trucks I could at least keep in a static position around me on my ninja 250 will be zooming by you.

I'd say go for the CBR250 and get it lowered. It wouldn't be that much more expensive. And honestly, if I were buying new I might consider one of their 500cc sport bikes, it's still a manageable beginner bike and you'll have a little more oomph at the top end.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

So I'm selling my SV650 with the specific goal of getting something both faster and much more sports orientated. But then some random guy offers me a straight swap on this:

I've always had a massive soft spot for these but never had the guts to actually take the leap.

Unfortunately it has 94,000km's. Keeping in mind that I find the SV's handling fairly clumsy and crude, and that my target bike in general is a supersport of some sort, how terrible is the handling on these? Various reviews on the net say it's pretty clunky in the bends despite the impressive looking rear shocks and brakes. Anyone have any first hand experience riding these? Would I be in for a world of disappointment owning one?

I can organise a test ride but it's a good two hours away so I want to have some idea of what to expect. Plus any long-term ownership anecdotes would be greatly appreciated.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Apr 18, 2013

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
The Z-Rex is very much a musclebike. The line I've heard is that it's a big bike for big riders; if you're 6'+ you'll love it, if you're pocket sized, the size and weight will feel too much. It won't be as nimble as a modern sportbike, but you've also got big dirtbike bars to throw it around with. It is an excellent road bike and good if you want to throw a buddy or some luggage on the back.

That one is a spectacular looking example and many people in CA will tell you to jump on it for looks alone, but if you're looking for a scalpel, this thing's a claymore. I personally wouldn't be worried about the mileage if the maintenance history is in order but I recommend finding model-specific resources to identify known issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
Dang, that bike looks awesome. I wish I wasn't a shortass.