Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Jefferoo posted:

Does anyone have video of Lex Luger showing up on WCW? Been trying to find it again for laughs and not having any luck.

Do you mean his first appearance in the company or the unveiling of The Total Package where he stands in the ring and flexes for several minutes under dramatic lighting and music

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

oatgan posted:

Do you mean his first appearance in the company or the unveiling of The Total Package where he stands in the ring and flexes for several minutes under dramatic lighting and music

The total package thing is so loving hilarious. It's posted somewhere near the beginning of this thread (I think) because it was the first time I had ever seen it. It's bizarre. He just sits there flexing while Elizabeth looks extremely awkward.

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax

oatgan posted:

The one where everyone's all "WHO'S THIS GUY WHY IS HE HERE" in some mall or whatever.

Total Package is loving god-tier wrestling bullshit, that should be taught in public education.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
I vaguely remember, at some point leading up to Luger "becoming the Total Package" through the power of flexing in a spotlight, that he did an interview on Thunder with someone (Mike Tenay?) and the entire focal point that it built up to was that, while he was currently at 4% body fat, could he ever get it down to 3%? And there was this ominous silence and Luger stared at the camera all intense-like and said something like "Maybe." I wish I could find it on the internet, it's probably a lot less funny than I'm remembering it.

Basically everything involving Lex Luger was equal parts inexplicable and pointless.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

If you haven't seen the rebirth of The Total Package you really should

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrEEv0GZNTM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

"Wow, what a moment."

- Tony Schiavone

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Lets not forget all the amazing funeral segments with Luthor and Baggwell

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Jefferoo posted:

The one where everyone's all "WHO'S THIS GUY WHY IS HE HERE" in some mall or whatever.

Total Package is loving god-tier wrestling bullshit, that should be taught in public education.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5vxwc_wcw-nitro-9-4-95-part2-1st-ever-nit_news#.UW8GwLWkp8Q

4:17

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

oatgan posted:

"Wow, what a moment."

- Tony Schiavone

Wait...that's the loving Shockmaster voice, isn't it?

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
That aired opposite The Rock: This is Your Life. Hilarious.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Jack Krauser posted:

Huh, I had no idea. I imagine that wouldn't have hurt Rock's ratings, all the WCW guys awkwardly flipping away from Lex's posedown.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
I saw this when I was 14, and I distinctly remember thinking, even then, "What the gently caress is this?"

your friend sk
Dec 10, 2005

(ヤイケス!)

oatgan posted:

"Wow, what a moment."

- Tony Schiavone

I like how annoyed Schiavone is with the ghost interrupting.

tooonyyyyy

"What?"

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Jack Krauser posted:

Which at the time was the highest rated segment ever for a wrestling program.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
Not just at the time. More people watched that segment live than any other wrestling segment in the history of Mankind.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Highest rated segment ever is an Undertaker/Austin match, I'm pretty sure.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

LividLiquid posted:

Highest rated segment ever is an Undertaker/Austin match, I'm pretty sure.

This Is Your Life is #1 actually, followed by Rock/Shane in a cage match in 2000.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
One of Nash's recent shoots goes into why they did the whole Lex/Total Package thing, but I can't quite remember how he explained it. I just scoured his Youshoot really quick but couldn't find it, anyone remember?

Cromulent fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Apr 18, 2013

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Meltzer has stated on a few occasions that This Is Your Life being the #1 segment is a myth. Several segments have gotten higher ratings, among them Undertaker/Austin (which wasn't up against Nitro at all iirc) and the actual highest rated segment of all time, Pat Patterson and Gerald Brisco vs. The Mean Street Posse. This is actually brought up on one of the Legends Roundtables.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

oatgan posted:

the actual highest rated segment of all time, Pat Patterson and Gerald Brisco vs. The Mean Street Posse.

I just. . . OK.

Ktik
Jul 10, 2004

Are we talking highest ratings as in TV ratings or highest ratings as in fans enjoyed this ***** no questions asked rating. Because that Stooges/Posse match is probably both.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Ktik posted:

Are we talking highest ratings as in TV ratings or highest ratings as in fans enjoyed this ***** no questions asked rating. Because that Stooges/Posse match is probably both.

Let's go to the tape!

http://www.wwe.com/videos/pat-patterson-and-gerald-brisco-vs-the-mean-street-posse-loser-leaves-wwe-match-26024642

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

I think it's just pure coincidence that it happened to be the highest rated segment because everybody else was tuned in for the main event 6-man tag featuring Austin/Rock/Vince vs. Taker/Trips/Shane with guest referee HBK.

-edit-

The best part of that match is at the end when Patterson starts to take his shirt off and JR yells "DON'T DO IT! DON'T DO IT! BAH GOD" as if he just watched Mick Foley fall off of a cage

oatgan fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Apr 18, 2013

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Zack_Gochuck posted:

I saw this when I was 14, and I distinctly remember thinking, even then, "What the gently caress is this?"

I saw it as a 12 year old and totally bought into the Rebirth of the Total Package.

I was a mark.

EvilMuppet
Jul 29, 2006

Good night catte thread, give them all many patts. I'm sorry,

Zack_Gochuck posted:

Not just at the time. More people watched that segment live than any other wrestling segment in the history of Mankind.

Brilliant.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
I thought the record was for The Main Event I in 1988?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WWF_The_Main_Event#Show_notes

quote:

This live broadcast remains the most watched wrestling program in American television history with a 15.2 rating and 33 million viewers.

The Monkey Man fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Apr 18, 2013

Scirocco Griffon
Feb 3, 2012

Paulocaust posted:

Wait...that's the loving Shockmaster voice, isn't it?

Yes it is, both instances provided courtesy of Ole Anderson messing around with a voice modulator backstage if memory serves.

EvilMuppet
Jul 29, 2006

Good night catte thread, give them all many patts. I'm sorry,

Scirocco Griffon posted:

Yes it is, both instances provided courtesy of Ole Anderson messing around with a voice modulator backstage if memory serves.

How do you pronounce 'Ole' anyway?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

rhymes with holy

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

EvilMuppet posted:

This way
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KABUQxllGbk

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

EvilMuppet posted:

Oh-Lee

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Oh-Lee is right. It's something they used to call us Norgies here in Ballard (previously a Norweigan neighborhood in Seattle), too. Ole for Norgies, Sven for Swedes.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Jim Duggan and Jake the Snake were driving buddies in the WWF and routinely got hosed up as hell on everything under the sun.

The Jake Roberts episode of Art f Wrestling is really good.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

My favorite WCW thing was that they had bigger better obviously fake weapons. Ring bell shots? Heh, sorry no, we got tasers, bear mace, cattle prods, an ELECTRIC CHAIR, the entire Junkyard Invitational. And they would use one of these huge scary world-ending weapons like every month. It was like the summer of '03 when Jericho had his handcuffs for everybody and Angle was running around with a tranq rifle.

Rad R.
Oct 10, 2012

crankdatbatman posted:

I saw it as a 12 year old and totally bought into the Rebirth of the Total Package.

I was a mark.

I had blocked this out of my memory completely, and I can see why, this is the worst promo I have ever seen. Maybe the worst part was Schiavone just naming all muscle groups. I'm not from the States so when this was on, I was unable to switch the channel over to Raw. Imagine the pain, if you will.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.
The Total Package rebirth is also just a more convoluted rip off of Luger's debut as the Narcissist in WWF.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozEB38XueRA

Bobby losing his goddamn mind is so much more entertaining than Tony.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Perry Normal posted:

The Total Package rebirth is also just a more convoluted rip off of Luger's debut as the Narcissist in WWF.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozEB38XueRA

Bobby losing his goddamn mind is so much more entertaining than Tony.

Bobby doing anything is so much more entertaining than Tony.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

The Narcissist was really the best gimmick Luger ever had. He even played it perfectly in the ring. He was this big oaf who just wanted to check himself out in his mirrors, and would knock you out to go back to the important task of checking himself out in the mirrors.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

DeathChicken posted:

The Narcissist was really the best gimmick Luger ever had. He even played it perfectly in the ring. He was this big oaf who just wanted to check himself out in his mirrors, and would knock you out to go back to the important task of checking himself out in the mirrors.

I really loved the "metal plate in the forearm" gimmick, they did it really well for the time.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

DeathChicken posted:

Mr Wonderful also had this gimmick in WCW. This led to a funny match against Disco Inferno. Orndorff was posing in the mirror, and Disco decided to look over Orndorff's shoulder so he could check his hair. Orndorff promptly knocked Disco out and pinned him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

On a similar note, the high point of Disco's gimmick for me was when he submitted to a wrist lock in a match due to his fear that it would stop him from being able to hand jive.